[Old] Mission briefing: Tracker entries

Old stuff gets archived here.
Dusk
Developer

[Old] Mission briefing: Tracker entries

Post by Dusk » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:38 pm

First off, I have to admit I was personally skeptical towards the testing team but with those runs you guys held recently, I'll have to say I was proven wrong and I can actually hope for a properly tested 1.0 release now. And it's all thanks to you guys! :)

That said, it's not really over yet. While those runs helped deem the general stability of the current beta, there's some tracker entries that need resolving. During the idle state of the testing team, there were fixes done that never really recieved proper testing, and now said outstanding issues need clearing.

These tickets need testing:
*NOTHING*

These tickets have been resolved:
  1. 0000914 - Grenades de-sync when bouncing off a solid actor
  2. 0000917 - Players default to No Weapon in LMS
  3. 0000718 - Projectile desync when fired to an edge (see demo for the effect)
  4. 0000793 - Hexen player bosses desync
  5. 0000849 - Stronghold STR20 triggers an assertion failure on server
  6. 0000912 - Low Frames Per Second on the latest July 1st build
  7. 0000936 - Missile Movement not clipped on client when hitting line horizon online
  8. 0000156 - allow "spectate" to remove you from the queue line
  9. 0000926 - Weapons dropped partially in a wall cannot be picked up
  10. 0000832 - Spectator bodies are affected by SetPlayerProperty & SetActorProperty
  11. 0000833 - Certain effects in SetPlayerProperty are not working as intended online
  12. 0000776 - Custom pain/wound states don't work online
  13. 0000581 - demo_skiptonextround or demo_skiptonextpoint
  14. 0000904 - DISCONNECT scripts return negative player number on specating (new CompatFlag?), or new DISCONNECT parameter
  15. 0000866 - Server doesn't inform clients about SetActorVelocity
  16. 0000803 - Reducing Monster Bandwidth Patch
  17. 0000801 - MageWandSmoke actor not removed online
  18. 0000828 - Missing medal announcer for coop spy.
  19. 0000781 - [Hexen] Planting planet gems on the board in Seminary causes no puzzle sound
  20. 0000770 - Raising player cap (to 64 or 255)
  21. 0000263 - Some menu issues || Skulltag 98x versus GZDoom 323
  22. 0000841 - Console icon is stuck on player's head if the server misses a certain packet
The mission now is to clear this list out to get one big step closer to a 1.0 release. Please leave any comments towards a specific ticket in its respective tracker page linked.
Last edited by Dusk on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

RE: Mission briefing: Tracker entries

Post by Ivan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:46 pm

I'll let Watermelon know about number 6. AFAIK, he said his version was working properly but he would have to verify it just in case.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:51 pm

I think I am going to make some plans to organize testing group members to individual tracker tickets in order to speed up the process of checking each entry out in a reasonable amount of time. I figure that we would either do the above, or organize another testing run. Unfortunately, I start an important class tomorrow which will last until Fall semester and I cannot make any assumptions at this point about how active I will or will not be in the last several weeks of Summer.

I will start by asking any members of the testing group to post here - I am going to talk to Wartorn and the rest of the group on IRC sometime during the day.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wartorn
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Wartorn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:12 am

We can possibly speed it up as well by assigning groups of two testers to test these entries individually (In addition of another for requisitions of hosting), dividing up the existing group and to confirm these entries much more thoroughly.
Last edited by Wartorn on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qent

Post by Qent » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:08 am

http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=770 will need a special testing session. We will need at least 33 players, preferably closer to 64.

Dusk
Developer

Post by Dusk » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:10 pm

I dunno. We could use a buttload of bots to fill in most of the spots, but in order to get the later player indices, the human testers would have to connect after the bots are added. Also I don't think the current beta has the doubled MAXPLAYERS unless I missed something.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Wartorn wrote: We can possibly speed it up as well by assigning groups of two testers to test these entries individually (In addition of another for requisitions of hosting), dividing up the existing group and to confirm these entries much more thoroughly.
Yes, this is what I was thinking along the lines of. I think that this would tremendously increase the speed of going through the tracker entries!
Qent wrote: http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=770 will need a special testing session. We will need at least 33 players, preferably closer to 64.
Alright, this seems like a reasonable addition, given what Dusk said about being able to use bots with a combination of players in order to effectively test player indices.
Dusk wrote: Also I don't think the current beta has the doubled MAXPLAYERS unless I missed something.
Yes, this is true. Torr included a build to test this with - it needed to be tested beforehand for it to have been included in the current build.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:21 pm

For #6, I'm planning on testing it tomorrow, will get back to you guys ASAP

For http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=770 I propose a community event on a certain date

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:40 pm

Dusk wrote: I dunno. We could use a buttload of bots to fill in most of the spots, but in order to get the later player indices, the human testers would have to connect after the bots are added.
I think so too: One should do a preliminary testing session with 33+ bots plus a handful of players first. If this works well, I can bump MAXPLAYERS to 64 in an official build and it's less likely that critical bugs appear in the 33+player session. It would be a shame if so many players are gathered just to find a critical bug that kills the session.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
Dusk wrote: I dunno. We could use a buttload of bots to fill in most of the spots, but in order to get the later player indices, the human testers would have to connect after the bots are added.
I think so too: One should do a preliminary testing session with 33+ bots plus a handful of players first. If this works well, I can bump MAXPLAYERS to 64 in an official build and it's less likely that critical bugs appear in the 33+player session. It would be a shame if so many players are gathered just to find a critical bug that kills the session.

I tried it and it worked (34 bots), or at least it seemed to work.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:24 am

How thoroughly did you test it, i.e. did you play through a bunch of maps?

Qent

Post by Qent » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:27 am

I'll see how many of these I can knock out tomorrow.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:29 am

Hey guys,

I know that Dusk has been updating the OP as we have been going along, but I would just like to point out that anybody can help out with getting this list taken care of! Just visit #zatesting on irc.zandronum.com if you would like to help out!

Good luck! Every tracker entry that we resolve brings us one step closer to the release of Zandro 1.0!

Arco

Post by Arco » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:44 am

I've went ahead and tested #0000156 with most gamemodes with the updated version and it's working fluently.
Last edited by Arco on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:56 am

How can I help clear every single one of these off the list?

Wartorn

Post by Wartorn » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:30 am

Watermelon wrote: How can I help clear every single one of these off the list?
Grab a buddy or two, then start by verifying the issue in ST 98d to get a feel of what's going on. Then load up the Zandronum alpha and confirm that the problem has indeed been resolved or otherwise exhibits abnormal behavior. Normally if you ask randomly in #zatesting, someone will respond (I will usually come to help most of the time if I'm not offline or on down time).

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:30 am

Wartorn wrote:
Watermelon wrote: How can I help clear every single one of these off the list?
Grab a buddy or two, then start by verifying the issue in ST 98d to get a feel of what's going on. Then load up the Zandronum alpha and confirm that the problem has indeed been resolved or otherwise exhibits abnormal behavior. Normally if you ask randomly in #zatesting, someone will respond (I will usually come to help most of the time if I'm not offline or on down time).
If you want, we can do all of them (minus the 64 player one, well maybe we can use bots) together on Wednesday (4pm or later), Thursday. I think we can honestly do the whole list.

Also: Ping emulator, where to get one? (for one of them it's needed)

Wartorn

Post by Wartorn » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:10 am

Watermelon wrote: If you want, we can do all of them (minus the 64 player one, well maybe we can use bots) together on Wednesday (4pm or later), Thursday. I think we can honestly do the whole list.

Also: Ping emulator, where to get one? (for one of them it's needed)
Wednesday isn't feasible for me personally as that's shut down day for me as I prepare to attend QuakeCon for the next three days (2-5th). If you do start a run, you will have to find others who can participate.

I'll see if I can dig up the old emulator I had on my HDD and upload it here.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:58 pm

Something that may increase the motivation to clear the list soon ;): I think once we are done with it we can think about releasing the final version 1.0 shortly after. IMHO we are close to a point where we tested what can be tested with a small testing team and it's necessary to get feedback from the general public. And we only get that if the general public is using Zandronum as stable release.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Torr Samaho wrote: Something that may increase the motivation to clear the list soon ;): I think once we are done with it we can think about releasing the final version 1.0 shortly after. IMHO we are close to a point where we tested what can be tested with a small testing team and it's necessary to get feedback from the general public. And we only get that if the general public is using Zandronum as stable release.
How short can you get it out? Assume the list is completely done on Wednesday, would you guys have it out in a week? I know it can't be said for certain but I'm waiting on Zandronum so bad... it needs to come out ASAP -- therefore I'm willing to do everything I can to get the entire list done.