Latest news: -- SNS #145 - Three Hours of Agony + Smooth Weapons -- -- Zandronum 1.3 -- -- Zandronum 1.3-alpha-140728-1234 -- -- Zandronum 1.3-alpha-140703-1806 --
Announcements go here.

Release Samsara - 0.3 - I can't drive at .30, man.
TerminusEst13
Post: #1 - Samsara - 0.3 - I can't drive at .30, man. Posted: 06-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm just a guy.
Forum Regular

Welcome to Samsara.
This is a multiplayer project inspired by crossover fighting games, designed to bring these games that people love so much and give them a second life on the multiplayer front, taking the heroes and the weapons and pitting them all aside (and sometimes against) each other. When you play Samsara, you pick a hero from a classic FPS game, spawn in the battlefield with abilities and weapons from their original game, and then proceed to lay waste among all those that stand in your way in whatever iwad or levelset of your choice. Each of the heroes are strictly limited to their own weapons, so you won't have a nonsensical random mash-up of people wielding weapons just not suited for them.
Want to play in Heretic? No problem. Give Chex Quest a whirl? Go right ahead. Wanted to like HeXen but didn't like the low amount of weapons? Go on, enjoy it. Want to go strictly vanilla and play Doom II? Be my guest. Current iwads supported are Doom, Doom II/TNT/Plutonia, Heretic, HeXen, Chex Quest, Strife, and Harmony, and more are to come.

The goal of Samsara is threefold:
1: To provide an interesting competitive mod that will enhance, rather than break, deathmatch/capture the flag/etc play. While obviously nothing will match pure vanilla for srs tourney play, if desired one can have a match full of Doomguys and have little to no differences from vanilla play--and someone joining in as Corvus should not dramatically change things.
2: To stay true to the spirit of classic FPSes by presenting these characters with as close to their original abilities and weapons as reasonably possible. Playing with them should be very much like playing their original game.
3: To provide a fun experience complimentary with many other levelsets, be they cooperative or competitive, so that people can live as their favorite heroes once again and put them through wringers so many other inventive people have designed. Other heroes should not differ so drastically from Doom II that other mods would now be unplayable.

Whether you play in co-op and tear through endless hordes of monsters or play in deathmatch and tear through whatever friends or enemies challenge you, Samsara offers you the ability to live through your favorite games again on new battlefields or new iwads entirely.

http://static.best-ever.org/wads/samsara-v0.3.pk3 - 0.3 Zandronum download, in pk3. (35.67 megs)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo3kfidbd13e4d...a-v0.3.pk7 - 0.3 Zandronum download, in pk7. (26.0 megs)
http://static.best-ever.org/wads/samsara-v0.3-zd.pk3 - 0.3 ZDoom download, in pk3.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5w1llzxzf3zvie...0.3-zd.pk7 - 0.3 ZDoom download, in pk7.

https://github.com/SamsaraDevs/samsaraJunk/wiki/FAQ - WILL CALEB AND STRIFEGUY BE ADDED?
https://github.com/SamsaraDevs/samsaraJunk/wiki/Addons - More add-ons can be located here, for additional gameplay options.

Spoiler: CHARACTERS (Open)
Spoiler: CREDITS (Open)
Spoiler: CHANGELOG (Open)

Spoiler: Fun trivia for server admins! (Open)
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 05:38 AM by TerminusEst13.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
[AV] Soul
Post: #2 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) Posted: 06-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Forum Regular
Clan: All-Powerful Voices

Reminds me a lot of Generations Arena. Interesting!

http://all-powerful-voices.freeforums.net/
Quote:<Mobyn> I am pretty sure in secret yorick is probably relieving himself inside of Soul
TerminusEst13
Post: #3 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) Posted: 06-11-2012, 06:28 AM
I'm just a guy.
Forum Regular

Hm.
Medicris
Post: #4 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) Posted: 06-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Forum Regular

The only thing I'll miss is the Quake 1/2 Guys.

And even then there's an ST Generations Arena with models for that anyway.

TerminusEst13
Post: #5 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) Posted: 06-11-2012, 07:39 AM
I'm just a guy.
Forum Regular

Quote:The only thing I'll miss is the Quake 1/2 Guys.
Depending on how well this concept build is received, I'd be interested in adding even more heroes. I consider it kind of like ZDoom Wars, and half the point of this all is nostalgia--the four games already represented are hardly the only noteworthy old FPSes.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 07:55 AM by TerminusEst13.)
ALIENwolve
Post: #6 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) Posted: 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Wolfman With Gun

I like the ideas you have for this player trait system. Makes things feel much less cobbled together.
<MLK> katZune
Post: #7 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) Posted: 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM
The Solid Energy Crew
Forum Regular
Clan: Moonlight Killers

nice idea what you have there, but what about change enemies? i mean if you play as chex enemies would be changed to chex's enemies (lol) ah yeah what about of strife...(not too old but is one)?

Don't be ignorant, my native language isn't english ;)

KLIFFOM

Spoiler: The True (Open)
Ivan
Post: #8 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) Posted: 06-11-2012, 10:30 AM
The Lone Wolf
Addicted to Zandronum
Clan:

(06-11-2012 10:18 AM)katZune Wrote:  nice idea what you have there, but what about change enemies? i mean if you play as chex enemies would be changed to chex's enemies (lol) ah yeah what about of strife...(not too old but is one)?

I think that's a good time to use a random spawner to put heretic/doom/wolfenstein/chex enemies if such classes exist in that round.

I like what this project is about, though, certainly nostalgic ! Keep up the good work.

=== RAGNAROK DM ON BEST-EVER ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON BEST-EVER ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===
ALIENwolve
Post: #9 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) Posted: 06-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Wolfman With Gun

(06-11-2012 10:30 AM)Ivan Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 10:18 AM)katZune Wrote:  nice idea what you have there, but what about change enemies? i mean if you play as chex enemies would be changed to chex's enemies (lol) ah yeah what about of strife...(not too old but is one)?

I think that's a good time to use a random spawner to put heretic/doom/wolfenstein/chex enemies if such classes exist in that round.

I like what this project is about, though, certainly nostalgic ! Keep up the good work.
Trouble arises when you throw together a bunch of random characters in terms of balance and theme. One teeters a fine line with a project like this. Runs the risk of becoming one of those "replace monsters with random Realm667 creations" projects.

So... I don't think randomly changing enemies would be a good idea. And changing to the selected class' monsters? Complications rear their ugly heads, come multiplayer.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 10:59 AM by ALIENwolve.)
TerminusEst13
Post: #10 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) Posted: 06-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm just a guy.
Forum Regular

Yeah, I'm not too keen with the idea of having random monster replacements run the show, sorry. That would just break a lot of levelsets and their carefully-planned encounters--I'm going to be having a lot of trouble trying to balance everyone to match the Doomguy while keeping them true to their game to begin with, haha.
Instead, what I'm going to aim on doing is making this compatible with as many iwads as possible, so you can run it in levelsets that were designed for Doom, Heretic, Chex Quest, Hacx, or etc, and fight the enemies there. I'm actually running a Chex Quest test in the background right now as I type this--hence the B.J. screenshot above.

Quote:ah yeah what about of strife...(not too old but is one)?
Like I said, I'm definitely interested in adding more Heroes. Strifeguy is going to be tough to do, considering his emphasis on upgrades and his...very unorthodox weapon loadout, but I'm intent on figuring him out eventually.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 11:27 AM by TerminusEst13.)
TerminusEst13
Post: #11 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) Posted: 06-16-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm just a guy.
Forum Regular

Sorry for the triple-post, but v0.13 is out now. Heretic support is in, and Chex Quest support is...functional, but the Flemoids other than the Bipedus and Commonus need death sprites.
Play as B.J. going through Parthoris, or play as Doomguy mauling the Flemoids! It's pretty much compatible with any and all Heretic/Chex Quest mods (Chex Quest has mods?) that don't add new enemies or weapons, so go wild.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2012 05:13 PM by TerminusEst13.)
Dark-Assassin
Post: #12 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) Posted: 06-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Retired Admin
Clan:

(06-10-2012 01:27 PM)Soul Wrote:  Reminds me a lot of Generations Arena. Interesting!
Same here, and I did like that mod. Hope it gets finished though.

Aside, this does sound Interesting.
Any chance of adding Hexen and Strife support? Perhaps even other 3rd party Iwads?

Got an old or unhosted IRC QDB that you want hosted? Send me a PM.
Example: http://x1.rfc1337.net/qdb.php?db=RFC1337
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
TerminusEst13
Post: #13 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) - v0.13 out! Heretic/Chex support! Posted: 06-17-2012, 01:54 AM
I'm just a guy.
Forum Regular

Quote:Any chance of adding Hexen and Strife support? Perhaps even other 3rd party Iwads?
Ideally. I'm hoping to make this compatible with as many different Zandronum-supported iwads as possible. HeXen's my personal favorite iwad out of all of them, so that'll probably get top priority.

Zandronum seems to have inherited Skulltag's frustrating as all fuck fatal-error-on-loading with HeXen, though, so that'll slow progress down.

Spoiler (Open)
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2012 02:05 AM by TerminusEst13.)
Torr Samaho
Post: #14 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) - v0.13 out! Heretic/Chex support! Posted: 06-17-2012, 02:15 AM
Lead Developer
Clan:

(06-17-2012 01:54 AM)TerminusEst13 Wrote:  Zandronum seems to have inherited Skulltag's frustrating as all fuck fatal-error-on-loading with HeXen, though, so that'll slow progress down.
In case you think you encounter a Zandronum bug, please be sure to report it at the tracker. Just complaining about it in a random forum thread is not going to help anybody. BTW: For me Zandronum runs Hexen just fine.
TerminusEst13
Post: #15 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) - v0.13 out! Heretic/Chex support! Posted: 06-17-2012, 02:26 AM
I'm just a guy.
Forum Regular

Quote:In case you think you encounter a Zandronum bug, please be sure to report it at the tracker. Just complaining about it in a random forum thread is not going to help anybody.
And here it served me so well on other corners of the internet.
Joking aside, I was under the impression the tracker had yet to be moved. I'm glad to see this isn't the case.

Quote:BTW: For me Zandronum runs Hexen just fine.
The problem I believe is with custom/extra player classes. I had this problem with The Ranger, too. I'll elaborate more in the tracker.
Konda
Post: #16 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) - v0.13 out! Heretic/Chex support! Posted: 06-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Those are some strange cigars...
Forum Regular

Quite an interesting project, I must say. I'm looking forward for HeXen and Strife heroes :P. Keep up the good work! Balancing the characters is probably not an easy job.

Do you use OpenGL in Zandronum? Answer the poll!
Code:
<Synert> fuck
<Synert> plugged in my memory stick and got a bsod
TerminusEst13
Post: #17 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) - v0.13c out! HeXen/Heretic/Chex support! Posted: 06-21-2012, 04:37 AM
I'm just a guy.
Forum Regular

13c has been released--now that HeXen is supported, all the major iwads (sans Strife) are playable with it...though Chex Quest needs some serious spritework.

Where should I move next? For more iwad support, or more playable heroes?
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012 04:42 AM by TerminusEst13.)
President People
Post: #18 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) - v0.13c out! HeXen/Heretic/Chex support! Posted: 06-21-2012, 07:33 AM
You are Destiny
Forum Regular
Clan:

(06-21-2012 04:37 AM)TerminusEst13 Wrote:  Where should I move next? For more iwad support, or more playable heroes?

There are a ton plenty of other wads to tear through for the time being, including the iwads that are now compatible, so I'd want more playable heroes. :)

/-/Spht-Translator-Active/-/

Don't mistake your rank and number
for superiority. The oldest child may
learn from the youngest.
TerminusEst13
Post: #19 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) - v0.14 out! HeXen/Heretic/Chex support! Posted: 06-24-2012, 03:02 AM
I'm just a guy.
Forum Regular

Right, then. Due to popular demand, B.J.'s Extra Life has been removed as his ultimate. It's been replaced with hopefully the only original weapon Samsara will have, the Spear of Destiny.

Spoiler (Open)

Enjoy, ladies and gents.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2012 03:03 AM by TerminusEst13.)
[TS-7] Blade
Post: #20 - RE: Samsara (Concept build) - v0.14. B.J.'s ultimate ain't shit anymore! Posted: 06-24-2012, 03:18 AM
King of the Hobos
Clan: Dead Throne

Excellent job! I'd like to see more of B.J.'s new toys

I like big puns and I can not lie.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2012 03:21 AM by Blade.)
Release Samsara - 0.3 - I can't drive at .30, man.

User(s) browsing this thread: +1 Guest(s)