Can someone makes a small tutorial on how create classes\characters?

Looking for Resources for your mod/project? Want to share some of your creations so others can use them? Post them here!
Solstar

Can someone makes a small tutorial on how create classes\characters?

Post by Solstar » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:18 pm

can please someone explain to me how can i create and add classes to the samsara addon for private\friendly use?i have already the resources(taken from the classic rivalry mod)so i'd like to know how can i add them or implement them in this mod

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Can someone makes a small tutorial on how create classes\characters?

Post by TerminusEst13 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:55 pm

https://www.copy.com/s/t%3ApoUYYRDFPx9z ... mplate.pk3

Please look inside the .pk3 and follow the instructions. You will need to supply your own decorate.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Solstar

Post by Solstar » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:14 pm

ok i opened it up with SLADE.cannot find any instructions though...

Solstar

Post by Solstar » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:24 pm

i tried to add Hargrove from killing time,taken from classic rivarly,but it won't show up..can you please tell me what i'm doing wrong?

https://mega.co.nz/#!7lIxlCbI!ZY272to3S ... F2IMyR7VQQ
Last edited by Solstar on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:53 pm

To be blunt, everything.

You're trying to put sprites and sounds in the ACS folder. You're trying to put entire extra .wads in the ACS folder. You're trying to define a new playerclass without use of keyconf or gameinfo. You're trying to apply .wad markers (S_END and S_START) to a .pk3. You haven't compiled the ACS. And that's not even going into the Decorate itself, which has all of the usual problems of Zygo's horrible coding habits.

Modifying Samsara requires knowledge of a lot of things about Doom modding, and if you're brand new to modding then I think something like this is biting off much more than you can chew.
I would sincerely suggest trying your hand at a smaller mod, something quite a bit simpler so you can get used to the ropes of how Doom modding works before trying to dive head-first into this.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:25 pm

You couldn't have given him a WORSE example... He's a beginner, he obviously won't understand those.

Just look around at the Zdoom Wiki, other mods etc. to try and understand how things work on the simplest level. Educate yourself slowly, do not rush and copy paste other people's work. That's the best advice you can get besides people spoon feeding class wads to you.
Last edited by Ivan on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:50 am

Look at Ghouls Vs. Humans, it's very easy to learn how to add classes in it. You could say even a moron could make an expansion to it just by simply copying and pasting.
Last edited by Catastrophe on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Solstar

Post by Solstar » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:35 am

So basically i'm a moron who steals(when i clearly said i wqs going to usethose wads ad an example)stuff from other people that needs spoon feeding and is not even able to work on a mod(that i havemt even tried)because i'm too moron for it?

That's the best you can to offend me?c'mon you can do better than that!

Last time i checked the topic was about a tutorial,noto about spoon feeding,but hey probably i'm too moron and misunderstood the meaning of both words

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:10 am

Really? I should point out that "even a moron could do it" isn't them calling you a moron. They're saying it's so simple one could. They are telling you to learn to understand code first, instead of copying and pasting other people's stuff as a shortcut. They are not accusing you of anything, or calling you anything. Relax.

All they've said is to learn the ins and outs of how a mod is made and what each thing means before diving headfirst into something rather complicated. A good exercise is to make a custom weapon. There are plenty of tutorials to get your feet wet in.
Last edited by Medicris on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Avi

Post by Avi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:37 am

Solstar wrote: So basically i'm a moron who steals(when i clearly said i wqs going to usethose wads ad an example)stuff from other people that needs spoon feeding and is not even able to work on a mod(that i havemt even tried)because i'm too moron for it?

Last time i checked the topic was about a tutorial,noto about spoon feeding,but hey probably i'm too moron and misunderstood the meaning of both words
No dude, you got it all wrong. When Catastrophe said that even an idiot could do it, he wasn't calling you an idiot intentionally. Catastrophe was the guy that worked on Ghouls vs Humans: Legacy of Darkness. He's saying that he thinks that he is an idiot, but that even he could figure out what to do by tearing the file apart and just working at it bit by bit. That's what we're trying to suggest to you. Learn everything bit by bit, you'll actually get through things faster if you set small goals and make them a little bigger each time.
<TerminusEst13><GMOTA_Guy> enemies that go invulnerable are the worst things in the history of the universe
<TerminusEst13>:D

NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Post by NachtIntellect » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:39 am

I know exactly how he/she feels though, I started out with some difficult stuff, the best way is just to tinker with stuff and figure out what works and what doesn't until you actually know what works, if you get what I mean by that, I actually didn't start out using Zdoom tutorials all while I did look up ACS Scripts from there from time to time, everything was mostly done learning from other mods, namely Nazi Zombies: Doom Edition which I and another then became permitted to work on later.
Last edited by NachtIntellect on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you just bite me? Come here, I will bite you back bastard.

Solstar

Post by Solstar » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:09 pm

the main problem is that on the zdoom wiki,all the tutorials take many things for granted,it "thinks" that you already knew most of the stuff,while i'd probably need a guide for dummies,such as "take this,put it into this,change xto y "etc

i had a look at this

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_new_player_classes

and then i thought"alright i'll give a look to decorate first,since its not saying much.:"

and this is the page for decorate...

http://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE

from here,where should i start?
Last edited by Solstar on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:25 pm

­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Catastrophe wrote: Look at Ghouls Vs. Humans, it's very easy to learn how to add classes in it. You could say even a moron could make an expansion to it just by simply copying and pasting.
I know who this moron is. It's someone who has pretended to leave this community and is still lingering around, continuing to murder the GvH title with "his" stupid ass classes even today. Yep.

Also
Solstar wrote: So basically i'm a moron who steals(when i clearly said i wqs going to usethose wads ad an example)stuff from other people that needs spoon feeding and is not even able to work on a mod(that i havemt even tried)because i'm too moron for it?

FYI, none of those were towards you. And yes, we've had instances where people wanted certain wads/projects to be spoonfed to them. It's not too rare. However I was merely suggesting that you do not go that route, and instead try and learn on your own. You'll be surprised how well you get to know things when you use trial and error. (Like many of us here have)
Last edited by Ivan on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solstar

Post by Solstar » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:22 pm

of course,that's why i want to learn by myself and not having you guys create wads for me.but with guides such as the one posted above,how can a total noob at this even start?

its says how to create an enemy...cool.what if i want to create a player character,with said weapons and perks etc?id doesn't explain that.and again as i said,it takes for granted that you know most of the basic stuff of the code.

WHICH I DON'T

now,i can understand that trying to explain something that is n the heads of people more expert than you,is always a complex task,but this ("this" as the tutorial page,not you guys)is ridicolous.

and thanks God,i'm not the only one thinking like that:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editin ... -tutorial/

"I wish the wiki was as clear and precise as this. Thanks again."

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:22 pm

Solstar wrote:what if i want to create a player character,with said weapons and perks etc?id doesn't explain that.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_new_player_classes

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Ok, DECORATE is a way for you to create actors that the game can run, on simplest terms. It's sole purpose is to make creating various actors that do various things, easily for you. Now, everytime you want to make a new actor, you must create a WAD or PK3 file which has a DECORATE file in it. (File type doesn't matter, usually .txt is good enough) Use SLADE3 for this job. Next, after having made this file in your WAD or PK3, copy and paste the code from the link TerminusEst13 gave you. Follow the instructions and load Zandronum along with your new WAD or PK3. You should be asked to select this class when you begin. Then, keep reading through the wiki. Learn what features an actor can have. (Actor Properties / Flags) Use these to achieve behavior you want. After this read the Actor States. These will allow you to understand how each actor is processed for their animations and tasks. Next, read Action Functions (or codepointers). Combine these two to achieve a different, distinct actor in your mod that is your new player class.

Solstar

Post by Solstar » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:21 am

ok that's more clear now.i did some experiment first within CR,and well its a mess,the folder structure etc..in samsara everything is more tidy and clean.

i managed to get hargrove there,and it works,i can pick up any ammo and medkit etc,but not weapons..any help?

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:12 pm

If this class is for Samsara you're biting way more than you can chew. Make your class a stand alone one first, then learn more about Doom modding before attempting to have your first mod be about Samsara...

If not, then there's no reason for it to not work, at all.

Solstar

Post by Solstar » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:33 pm

no no it wqas made for Cr..but a "newer" version,with only 4 chars.so i "imported" him into an old version of CR,which had way more characters.haven't touched samsara yet.but i'd like to,as its probably more easier..i suppose?