Banned from Doom seeker master severs???

Discuss master server operations and talk about your server clusters here.

Moderator: Master Server Staff

Bravo
New User

Banned from Doom seeker master severs???

Post by Bravo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:06 pm

HI!

I was hosting a Hamachi server with a friend so we could play. 2 days later i get on Doom seeker and every single server shows up blank. The odamax servers are displaying just fine, but id much prefer zandronum of course. Any idea what might have happened? Thanks everyone. :smile:

~Bravo

P.S in game nickname is Bravo as well.

De-M-oN
Forum Regular

RE: Banned from Doom seeker master severs???

Post by De-M-oN » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:32 pm

For what you need hamachi o.o

LAN, private (=not listed on master) and also password protected server hosting is possible. So for what reason you need hamachi for hosting a zandronum server?

Vincent(PDP)
Forum Regular
Clan: My DOOM site
Clan Tag: <MDS>

Post by Vincent(PDP) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:45 pm

De-M-oN wrote: For what you need hamachi o.o

LAN, private (=not listed on master) and also password protected server hosting is possible. So for what reason you need hamachi for hosting a zandronum server?
To play with his friends even though they're not at his house.

LAN = Local Area Network. They must be connected to his network in order to find his server.

Hamachi = Fish. :3
With Hamachi he can still have a private server and only his friends with his Hamachi IP can find his server, even if they're not at his house.
Last edited by Vincent(PDP) on Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
//Visual Vincent ( Vincent (PDP) )
- My DOOM site Team

My projects:
Spoiler: (Open)
Doom Writer
Escape From The Laboratory - Done
Escape From The Laboratory Part 2
Parkskolan Zombie Horde Map (ZM10) - Done
In game Admin Commands for Zandronum.
Achievement Mod for Zandronum
Stats mod

De-M-oN
Forum Regular

Post by De-M-oN » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:16 pm

Private Server does the same
Password protected server does the same.

Both ways would lead to possibility to play only with his friends.

hamachi is completely unnecessary here.

mifu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:06 pm

Sounds like Hamachi could be interfearing with this as you are not banned from the master server. What happens when you turn Hamachi off?

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:06 pm

Hamachi does also in fact allow you to host, even if your ports are borked or you for some other reason cannot host properly.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

Bravo
New User

Post by Bravo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:18 am

Thanks for the help everyone but I figured it out in my last post http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5589
. I apologies to dual posts but this thread on this sub forum got so very little attention I made another.

The issue was, my router had a setting by "IP flood detection" that was enabled. I turned that off and everything was working just fine. Somehow I managed to enable that at some point of time by mistake when forwarding some ports. So if anyone else has my issue, make sure to check a setting like that or similar! :razz:

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:55 am

Bravo wrote: Thanks for the help everyone but I figured it out in my last post http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5589
. I apologies to dual posts but this thread on this sub forum got so very little attention I made another.

The issue was, my router had a setting by "IP flood detection" that was enabled. I turned that off and everything was working just fine. Somehow I managed to enable that at some point of time by mistake when forwarding some ports. So if anyone else has my issue, make sure to check a setting like that or similar! :razz:
This is interesting, and it probably explains why some people have trouble with Doomseeker. I wonder if we can prevent triggering of that "ip flooding protection" on our side somehow.
Doomseeker - a real answer to cross-platform server browser.
Doomseeker dev builds - unofficial Doomseeker builds for Windows.
Gamer's Proxy - a program to emulate ping and packet losses.

Vincent(PDP)
Forum Regular

Post by Vincent(PDP) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:37 am

De-M-oN wrote: Private Server does the same
Password protected server does the same.

Both ways would lead to possibility to play only with his friends.

hamachi is completely unnecessary here.
A server BROADCASTED TO MASTER does the same. Setting it as LAN does not do the same as it's only broadcasted to your network. No one else, except for the ones connected to your router, will find it. And if they still find your server, then apparently it isn't LAN, it's still broadcasted (not to master) so that people with your IP address can find it. But settig it to LAN should only make it LAN, and if not, something has changed the way it broadcasts.
- My DOOM site Team

My projects:
Doom Writer
Stats mod

De-M-oN
Forum Regular

Post by De-M-oN » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:50 am

And I mentioned only LAN?

private server isnt automatically LAN, neither is a password protected one.

I still see no sense in hamachi for zandronum servers.
Setting it as LAN does not do the same as it's only broadcasted to your network.
Yes LAN is different on this point. But you should see what my point was.
No one else, except for the ones connected to your router, will find it.
It even should be like this:

No one else, except for the ones connected to your router, can connect to it.
Last edited by De-M-oN on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent(PDP)
Forum Regular

Post by Vincent(PDP) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:41 pm

De-M-oN wrote: And I mentioned only LAN?

private server isnt automatically LAN, neither is a password protected one.

I still see no sense in hamachi for zandronum servers.
Setting it as LAN does not do the same as it's only broadcasted to your network.
Yes LAN is different on this point. But you should see what my point was.
No one else, except for the ones connected to your router, will find it.
It even should be like this:

No one else, except for the ones connected to your router, can connect to it.
Where's the option to make it private? Because this is all I have:
De-M-oN wrote: private server isnt automatically LAN, neither is a password protected one.
I didn't say password protected were LAN. :P

BTW Lollipop gave a good explanation for why you can use Hamachi.
Lollipop wrote: Hamachi does also in fact allow you to host, even if your ports are borked or you for some other reason cannot host properly.
If you do not forward the needed ports, it's unlikely for anyone to find your server even if they've got your IP. With Hamachi you don't need Port Forwarding. And it also gives the players a more 'direct', and actually better, connection.
- My DOOM site Team

My projects:
Doom Writer
Stats mod

De-M-oN
Forum Regular

Post by De-M-oN » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:54 pm

And it also gives the players a more 'direct', and actually better, connection.
I highly doubt that. The netcode would assume LAN speeds for the clients then. Zandronum lets clients to choose internet speed, but there are sure games out which wont do that.
And for zandronum: Why you think a LAN emulation is faster than a direct connection? I really doubt that. A technical explanation would be useful

For you: If you remove the checkmark out of broadcast to master, you should have the same effect.
Last edited by De-M-oN on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent(PDP)
Forum Regular

Post by Vincent(PDP) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:00 pm

De-M-oN wrote:
And it also gives the players a more 'direct', and actually better, connection.
I highly doubt that. The netcode would assume LAN speeds for the clients then. Zandronum lets clients to choose internet speed, but there are sure games out which wont do that.
And for zandronum: Why you think a LAN emulation is faster than a direct connection? I really doubt that. A technical explanation would be useful

For you: If you remove the checkmark out of broadcast to master, you should have the same effect.
Using Hamachi gives a better connection because it actually IS a more direct connection than going through the public IP. Hamachi takes shorter ways sending and receiving data.
Wikipedia wrote: Hamachi is intended as a zero-configuration virtual private network (VPN) application that is capable of establishing direct links between computers that are behind NAT firewalls without requiring reconfiguration (when the user's PC can be accessed directly without relays from the Internet/WAN side).
And there's more:
Wikipedia wrote: in other words, it establishes a connection over the Internet that emulates the connection that would exist if the computers were connected over a local area network.
Last edited by Vincent(PDP) on Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- My DOOM site Team

My projects:
Doom Writer
Stats mod

De-M-oN
Forum Regular

Post by De-M-oN » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:26 pm

Using Hamachi gives a better connection because it actually IS a more direct connection than going through the public IP. Hamachi takes shorter ways sending and receiving data.
That doesnt make sense to me. In which way? How can a LAN emulation be shorter than a direct connection? Doesnt make any sense to me. Explain that detailed please. Because that sounds not logic at all.
in other words, it establishes a connection over the Internet that emulates the connection that would exist if the computers were connected over a local area network.
But it is a) still internet speed and not LAN speed and routing and b) its an emulation routine.

Vincent(PDP)
Forum Regular

Post by Vincent(PDP) » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:35 am

De-M-oN wrote:
That doesnt make sense to me. In which way? How can a LAN emulation be shorter than a direct connection? Doesnt make any sense to me. Explain that detailed please. Because that sounds not logic at all.
in other words, it establishes a connection over the Internet that emulates the connection that would exist if the computers were connected over a local area network.
But it is a) still internet speed and not LAN speed and routing and b) its an emulation routine.
I said Hamachi was faster than via the public IP, not than direct connection. The connection through the public IP is not direct, while VPN via Hamachi is. And yes, the connection depends on the internet speed, but also via which way you send and recieve the data.
Let's say it like this. You have some LAN connections to your router. Each connection represents a room in your house. Then there's Hamachi (VPN). Each Hamachi connection represents a neighbour of yours, it can be a neighbour right next to you or tops a couple of block away. And at last there's the public connections. Each connection is a house beyond you and your neighbours. Now, LAN is the fastest. You just have to go to another room. Then there's Hamachi, you just have to go to a house close to yours, and there's pretty much only one path. And then there's the rest of the world. You have to travel further to get to another house, and there may be some traffic lights etc on the way, and there are many different paths to choose. Which way would you rather go? ;)
Last edited by Vincent(PDP) on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
- My DOOM site Team

My projects:
Doom Writer
Stats mod