Coop: Permanent or Respawning Weapons?

General help and assistance forum.
rytz
New User

Coop: Permanent or Respawning Weapons?

Post by rytz » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:54 am

Hi:

I was playing some coop with a friend through Doomseeker and couldn't figure out a way to force weapons to stay or respawn in a coop game. SV_WeaponStay has no effect and SV_ItemRespawn does not work for weapons.

I'm looking for permanent weapons, respawning weapons, or give-able weapons as a last resort (cheats).

It's been a while, so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks.

~ Rytz

(Zandronum 3.0-alpha-r151004-2012)
Last edited by rytz on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Empyre
Zandrone

RE: Coop: Permanent or Respawning Weapons?

Post by Empyre » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:20 am

I know that some mods will mess up weapon stay, depending on how they replace the weapons. As an experiment, try playing with no mods to see if that is the cause. Maybe using the sv_weaponstay command in the console requires a map change to take effect. Try setting the weapon stay dmflag (on the Deathmatch tab of the flags) when you set up the server instead of using the sv_weaponstay command. If you are using the sv_weaponstay command in Doomseeker's Custom Parameters box, are you putting a + in front of it? Commands will not work without a + there, like +sv_weaponstay 1.
I hope that some of this babbling helps you.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

rytz
New User

Post by rytz » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:31 am

Empyre wrote: I know that some mods will mess up weapon stay, depending on how they replace the weapons. As an experiment, try playing with no mods to see if that is the cause. Maybe using the sv_weaponstay command in the console requires a map change to take effect. Try setting the weapon stay dmflag (on the Deathmatch tab of the flags) when you set up the server instead of using the sv_weaponstay command. If you are using the sv_weaponstay command in Doomseeker's Custom Parameters box, are you putting a + in front of it? Commands will not work without a + there, like +sv_weaponstay 1.
I hope that some of this babbling helps you.
I tried sv_weaponstay on both Doomseeker and manually once in the game (gave it an extra level load as well). Weapons would always disappear on pickup.

We were running coop with Project Brutality, which does a lot of weapons changes. I'll give it a go without any extra wads.

If Project Brutality is the problem, is there a way to cheat and give specific weapons while in multiplayer?

Thanks.
Last edited by rytz on Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:43 am

The problem with weapon stay is with mods that replace a weapon with a weapon spawner - that is, a randomizer that may spawn one of several weapons.

Since the randomizer isn't derived from a weapon class, it isn't treated as a weapon and thus is unaffected by sv_weaponstay; likewise, since it isn't derived from an inventory class, it isn't treated as an item and does not respawn.

I don't think there's a DMFlags solution, the mod author needs to provide support for that on his item spawners.

If you're playing on your own server, just set sv_cheats to 1 and restart/change the map (do not simply exit the level or use nextmap/changemap, an intermission screen means these settings won't be changed), then you can give yourself whichever weapons you need.

Also, if you don't know the weapon actor names, typing "dumpclasses weapon" in your console should help. It will print a long list including Heretic, Hexen and Strife weapons I believe, but you can tell those apart and if I'm not mistaken the mod's own weapons will be sorted together, probably either at the very start or at the very end of the list.
Last edited by SwordGrunt on Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

rytz
New User

Post by rytz » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:49 am

Thanks for the info, SwordGrunt. Turns out I was doing the "give" command wrong. "give <weaponname>" works using the names shown in "dumpclasses weapon". This will work for now as weapons stay after death.

I don't see any documentation on the give command in the Zandronum wiki. ZDoom lists it, however. For future reference, should I assume that Zandronum inherits all ZDoom commands?

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:01 am

Not all. But quite a lot.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

-Jes-
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by -Jes- » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:01 pm

TerminusEst13 wrote: Not all. But quite a lot.
In fact, most not made by this guy. ;D
Last edited by -Jes- on Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.