Project MSX ported for zandronum 1.3!

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Monsterovich
Forum Regular

Project MSX ported for zandronum 1.3!

Post by Monsterovich » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:38 pm

by MagSigmaX
now works online!

Original zdoom.org thread

- Nothing was removed from the original version of MSX.
- Some things were rebuilt (ex: Grenade explosions, plasmagun cooler...) because they don't work in zandro properly.
- Difficulty is higher than in the original that makes gameplay better (really), it won't be boring for you. Welcome to realistic survival! :D

This patch was made by Korshun and partially edited by me.
If you found any bug, discuss about it here.

Trailer:
[spoiler]
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
[/spoiler]

Download Project MSX v0.2a code v28
Download Project MSX v0.2a resources

Enjoy!
Last edited by Monsterovich on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drakeman1234

RE: Project MSX ported for zandronum 1.3!

Post by Drakeman1234 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:04 pm

Oooh....will try.

EDIT: Er.....uhhhh.....okay. Weird stuff's happening. Loaded it up in Zandro 1.3, and the titlepic is missing....there's no menu sounds, and when I start a game, I have no weapon, no hud, and there's red As everywhere.

EDIT 2: Wait...this is a patch, isn't it...i'm dumb.
Last edited by Drakeman1234 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:03 pm

I tested it, and I think it'll need some change like the ennemies marines, can't you make them look like zombie because in coop it's very confusing.

Very nice mod btw.

Eric
New User

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:40 pm

You might be able to mistake this for the original mod. You know, if you've never played the original, or if you're mentally handicapped. At least you know your audience, I guess.

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Did you get permission to do this? Considering MagSigmaX hasn't been around in the community since the last release, I sincerely doubt it.
We've had several ZDoomers get their work completely nicked, overhauled, and in many cases completely bastardized without their permission, and then they get extra headaches of people reporting "bugs" in the Zandro versions that don't exist in the ZDoom version. We've already got a good chunk of people angry at us, we don't need another--especially with something as high profile as this.
Monsterovich wrote:- Nothing was removed from the original version of MSX.
Uhhhhhhhh you sure about that? Just with a cursory playthrough, someone incredibly familiar with MSX was able to point out numerous stuff that's completely removed.
You reduced the rifle capacity to 35 rounds but didn't change the HUD to reflect this, you reduced the autoshotgun's capacity to 15 rounds, you removed the recoil, you removed the trails on the projectiles, you removed the smooth animation for the initial fist charge, you removed enemy behavior for when the player has their fists out to make them dodge, you've removed numerous sound effects (why does the shotgun use the vanilla Doom sound? Why does the sniper rifle use the Skulltag railgun sound? Why does the punch use the same sound effect for hitting walls?), not to mention removing numerous effects that could have been easily replicated in Zandronum (quaking on charged punches, for example).
And again, that's just with a cursory playthrough. That's a whole lot of shit that's been outright removed.
Monsterovich wrote:- Difficulty is higher than in the original that makes gameplay better (really), it won't be boring for you. Welcome to realistic survival! :D
Really? Because it looks like you also removed all of the tracer rounds for enemies and replaced them with hitscans. As in, the cannot-be-dodged hitscans that change gameplay from fast running and dodging to sheer luck.
This doesn't make gameplay better, it takes the gameplay MSX was going for and completely removes it.

If you're going to port something, then it's better to just port it. Don't mod it with your own changes, especially if the original author didn't give you permission.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Monsterovich wrote:- Some things were rebuilt (ex: Grenade explosions, plasmagun cooler...) because they don't work in zandro properly.
- Difficulty is higher than in the original that makes gameplay better (really), it won't be boring for you. Welcome to realistic survival! :D
Usually porting implies trying to mimic the original as closely as possible, even if it takes gross hacks (like say, emulating A_SetScale the good old separate sprites way and gross Random(-23,23)*0.1 hacks for frandom) to accomplish.

Usually porting also implies porting the actual mod and not modding the damn thing while doing so.
[quote="Kennon Conrad"]Dear LawCounsels,
To prove your compressor works, I suggest you try it on your posts and then post only the result.

We all know an ideal lossy compressor would output 0 bytes for your posts, so see if you can beat that.

Have a nice day.[/quote]

Monsterovich
Forum Regular

Post by Monsterovich » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:47 pm

You reduced the rifle capacity to 35 rounds but didn't change the HUD to reflect this, you reduced the autoshotgun's capacity to 15 rounds
Uh, didn't notice, seems to be a bug. Gotta fix
you removed the recoil
Because it made all the weapons VERY laggy when playing with ping over 20 ms.
you removed the trails on the projectiles
No, I just made the trail actors clientside, and it turned out that a serverside FastProjectile cannot spawn clientside trails.
you removed the smooth animation for the initial fist charge
That's a bug, there was just so much stuff to make that fist work that I didn't notice it. Will fix in the next version.
you've removed numerous sound effects (why does the shotgun use the vanilla Doom sound? Why does the sniper rifle use the Skulltag railgun sound? Why does the punch use the same sound effect for hitting walls?)
I didn't change anything about the sounds. Now gotta invent some workarounds to fix these.
not to mention removing numerous effects that could have been easily replicated in Zandronum (quaking on charged punches, for example).
I was so tired of fixing those damn hud scripts and tens of flash states that I decided to fix these effects later.
it looks like you also removed all of the tracer rounds for enemies and replaced them with hitscans
No, all bullets are still FastProjectiles but their trails are not spawned for the same reason other projectiles don't have trails (FastProjectile can't spawn clientside trails).

All in all, this mod is now at least fully functional in zandronum. Now I can get to fixing the cosmetic bugs with some of the effects.

I can return orignal balance, but Project MSX's balance is designed for singleplayer and is too easy in multiplayer. :neutral:
Last edited by Monsterovich on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monsterovich
Forum Regular

Post by Monsterovich » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:19 pm

Code v20 released!
* Players can now shoot projectiles and grenades through each other!
* fixed pistol loaded ammo capacity (caused by a bad fix for Weapon.AmmoUse desyncs)
* fixed autoshotgun and assault rifle loaded ammo capacity (caused by remains of experimental fixes for desyncs before I found out that they are caused by Weapon.AmmoUse)
* fixed fist charge animation (caused by a bad jump due to inserted null frames needed to make it work in Zandronum)
* fixed reload warning being disabled by selecting fists once
* fixed shotgun and sniper rifle sounds
* fixed cyberdemon's rocket not exploding and flying through players
Download!

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Found a bug: If you hit/kill enemies with your alternate attack (punching) of your Sniper Rifle or Nail Shotgun, it will make the sound as if it was firing.
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

Code: Select all

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:36 am

Wanna try something Sigma never did?

Add the following to sndinfo:

$pitchshift sfx/beep1 0
$pitchshift sfx/beep2 0
$pitchshift sfx/beep3 0
$pitchshift sfx/beep4 0
That will make the rare few of us who have randomized pitch enabled LIKE TRUE VANILLA DOOMERS WOULD cry tears of joy.

Drakeman1234

Post by Drakeman1234 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:33 am

Tried this in Zandronum with a friend. After a few minutes, his connection hung and he timed out. Thing is, ping was still in pristine condition. Only reason I can think of is desync problems, and this only seems to happen with this mod.

Monsterovich
Forum Regular

Post by Monsterovich » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:40 pm

IdeIdoom wrote: Found a bug: If you hit/kill enemies with your alternate attack (punching) of your Sniper Rifle or Nail Shotgun, it will make the sound as if it was firing.
Fixed in v21.
-Jes- wrote: Wanna try something Sigma never did?
Yeah I added this code too.
Drakeman1234 wrote: Tried this in Zandronum with a friend. After a few minutes, his connection hung and he timed out. Thing is, ping was still in pristine condition. Only reason I can think of is desync problems, and this only seems to happen with this mod.
I never had such problems, maybe it's a problem with your friend's internet connection.
Last edited by Monsterovich on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drakeman1234

Post by Drakeman1234 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Drakeman1234 wrote: Tried this in Zandronum with a friend. After a few minutes, his connection hung and he timed out. Thing is, ping was still in pristine condition. Only reason I can think of is desync problems, and this only seems to happen with this mod.
I never had such problems, maybe it's a problem with your friend's internet connection.
[/quote]

Well, other mods never did this to me. Also, can't imagine why connection would be the problem. Ping was about as close to perfect as I could hope.
Last edited by Drakeman1234 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arco
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Arco » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:35 pm

I personally don't see any good reason to use 1.3 for a project as big and expansive as this, considering MSX readily uses flags and coderpoints for the newer revisions of zdoom. Zandronum 1.3 uses zdoom 2.3x, and Zandronum 2.0 uses 2.5.0 and up. You could've save a lot more time with this project if you would've properly ported it to 2.0, instead of 1.3.
When the weather changes, we will be lost. And no one will know who anyone is anymore.

fr blood

Post by fr blood » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Arco wrote: I personally don't see any good reason to use 1.3 for a project as big and expansive as this, considering MSX readily uses flags and coderpoints for the newer revisions of zdoom. Zandronum 1.3 uses zdoom 2.3x, and Zandronum 2.0 uses 2.5.0 and up. You could've save a lot more time with this project if you would've properly ported it to 2.0, instead of 1.3.
Thats why some projects from Zdoom shouldn't be imported here thats true, but he did a good job even if it's was a bad idea.

Monsterovich
Forum Regular

Post by Monsterovich » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Code v22

* fixed player's walking and crouch animations
* Pistol is not droppable now
* fixed bug: player throws grenade before any weapon was dropped
* fixed bug: nailshotgun and sniper rifle makes invalid sound when you hit enemies by melee attack (altfire)
* disabled random pitches for "sfx/beep*"
Download!
Last edited by Monsterovich on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:27 pm

Arco wrote:You could've save a lot more time with this project if you would've properly ported it to 2.0, instead of 1.3.
And no one would've played it.
fr blood wrote:- if it's was a bad idea.
The only 'bad idea' here was not clearing this with Sigma first, although with Sigma AWOL'ing hard (as is his custom) the severity of this is debatable.

Some people. :rolleyes:

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:50 pm

Remember that theoretically Zandronum 2.0's on the testing phase - all of the big stuff is already done.

In other words, you might as well get a head-start!
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:40 am

Here's another bug: Hold the fist charge to max power and then exit the level normally. In the next level you will have unlimited energy.
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

Monsterovich
Forum Regular

Post by Monsterovich » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:31 pm

Arco wrote: I personally don't see any good reason to use 1.3 for a project as big and expansive as this, considering MSX readily uses flags and coderpoints for the newer revisions of zdoom. Zandronum 1.3 uses zdoom 2.3x, and Zandronum 2.0 uses 2.5.0 and up. You could've save a lot more time with this project if you would've properly ported it to 2.0, instead of 1.3.
Zandronum 2.0 won't fix the largest part of the problems in MSX, because half of ACS scripts are not going to work with multiplayer.