SNS #134 - Knee Deep in ZDoom

All finished SNS events go here.
Frits
Forum Regular

SNS #134 - Knee Deep in ZDoom

Post by Frits » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:26 pm

This week we serve you one of doom's legends. I'm talking ofcourse about Knee deep into Zdoom.

Because I am not a great wordsmith and also very lazy, I hope this quote is enough to persuade you to join. (ofcourse it is)

"What started as a community effort to create a ZDoom rendition of Episode 1 turned into a massive undertaking... spending almost 3 years in development. Projects that spend a long time in limbo begin to develop either very high, or very low expectations... and KDiZD was no different. When it was released, the reviews reflected that division. If a friend, who was new to Doom, asked what maps were fun and showcased what was possible, I would certainly point to KDiZD as a suggestion. The maps are marginally based off the original maps, but you would be hard pressed to find any original architecture. Not only are the original maps revamped, there are countless new additions to each level that extend the gameplay. Stacked sectors, cameras, 3d bridges, dozens of new monsters, and scripted events showcase what has been added to the aging game to keep it fresh after 14 years. Many of the levels really are a sight to behold and showcase some very impressive effects, particularly the new additions. With so many Doomers and so many different tastes in gameplay, it is hard to accommodate everyone... but I believe KDiZD offers a decent experience. I will briefly mention that KDiZD could have been a much better experience. Forgetting hubris and drama... the team seems to have lost track of the project's scope along the way and created a monster they could not control. In the end, I still think it turned out to be OK, but mod makers take heed from KDiZD: focus your project and keep a level head... your project will be better served."

What can you expect:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

IWAD: doom.wad
WADs: kdizd_12.pk3, coopbullets,
SNS-Onlyammorespawns.v2, Fuzzball's text colors

Customized settings
[spoiler]Client limit: 64/64
Skill: Ultra Violence
Maxlives: 1

DMFlags: 3227652
DMFlags2: 1048576
DMFlags3: 16
CompatFlags: 1629700292
CompatFlags2: 8

sv_afk2spec 3
sv_smartaim 2[/spoiler]

What day: Saturday, July 19th, 2014

What time: 18:00 UTC

Times
Central Europe: 20:00
United Kingdom: 19:00
Russia / Moscow: 22:00

Eastern Time: 2:00 PM
Central Time (US): 1:00 PM
Mountain Time: 12:00 PM
Pacific Time: 11:00 AM
Last edited by Slim on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

Mode #grandvoid -o Konar6 by Frits
<Konar6> the fuck
<Konar6> who made this IRC
<Konar6> how is this possible

Sicamore
Forum Regular
Clan: Scientific DM Acad
Clan Tag: [SDA]

RE: SNS #134 Knee deep into Zdoom

Post by Sicamore » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:38 pm

knee deep in frame drops, or is it O_o

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

RE: SNS #134 Knee deep into Zdoom

Post by Ivan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:02 pm

It's about time a legend like this has popped up!
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

RE: SNS #134 - Knee Deep in ZDoom

Post by DevilHunter » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:23 am

Erm.. I think this is suppose to be ran in Doom.wad.. not doom2.wad. Also, intermissions are kinda.. Meh. You have to sit there til some random chosen player clicks on skip this. Other then that, yea more power to ya

EDIT: and I am right. Lookie here > http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index. ... t /idgames

Scroll down to the readme file, and it says Doom1 NOT MEANT FOR DOOM2.. so yea.
Last edited by DevilHunter on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:40 am

DevilHunter wrote: Erm.. I think this is suppose to be ran in Doom.wad.. not doom2.wad. Also, intermissions are kinda.. Meh. You have to sit there til some random chosen player clicks on skip this. Other then that, yea more power to ya

EDIT: and I am right. Lookie here > http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index. ... t /idgames

Yeah it requires doom.wad, should be fixed asap as it can cause texture errors. Also, I don't think the intermissions actually work online, do they? I don't recall them being there in online play ever.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

Post by DevilHunter » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:19 am

Well, given its a Zdoom mod, Maybe.. Should test before the event.

Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

Post by Slim » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:44 am

Ivan wrote:
DevilHunter wrote: Erm.. I think this is suppose to be ran in Doom.wad.. not doom2.wad. Also, intermissions are kinda.. Meh. You have to sit there til some random chosen player clicks on skip this. Other then that, yea more power to ya

Fixed, updated the OP.
DevilHunter wrote: Yeah it requires doom.wad, should be fixed asap as it can cause texture errors. Also, I don't think the intermissions actually work online, do they? I don't recall them being there in online play ever.
Intermissions never play online. And I have played this online before, and no noticible errors occured.
DevilHunter wrote: Well, given its a Zdoom mod, Maybe.. Should test before the event.
It works just fine on Zandronum. Heck, I even see a server with kdizd_11 being hosted, and it seems to work fine.
Last edited by Slim on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)