Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
User avatar
HateDaddy
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Not Quebec rofl

Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#1

Post by HateDaddy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:41 am

Greetings folks!

This thread is created for the purpose of officially signing up for the Dwango5 Map01 Tournament I'm going to be hosting at the end of September. This will be posted on various forum boards but I will do my absolute best to keep the threads up to date and consistent as often as possible. I currently have quite a bit on my plate but I want this to happen, so please understand that it may take some time before I can get back with anyone.

The means to officially declare yourself a participant in this tournament allow two avenues: signing up in an official sign-up thread by me or making direct contact with me. I can be reached on irc.quakenet.org and irc.zandronum.com under the name HateDaddy. I can also be reached on ZDIRC under the name [SIN]Hatred. I've also created a discord server specifically for this tournament, the invite address is provided here: https://discord.gg/F2w52aq

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's go over the rules now!

The map the tournament will be played on is Dwango5 Map01.

ZDDL NS Settings excluding freelook and jump.

The default port is ZDaemon. I am not opposed to people playing on different ports as long as they mutually agree upon it. However, if any disagreement arises then it is to be understood that ZDaemon will serve as the default port. Failure to play matches due to disagreement will be judged case by case.

The tournament rules will be snigle series matches (in other words, best of 1s) in double elimination format.

I will be doing a broad seeding system to organize matches. The purpose here is to prevent potential finals matches happening in early rounds. Understand that I will be consulting with several players to determine these seeds and that seedings are final - there will be no disputing your seed. I understand this seems harsh and this is the one rule I will apologize in advance for because I realize how frustrating it can be. However, there's a good chance I will end having these games live-casted so it's incredibly important to me to keep the potential "dream matches" saved for the end if possible. Speaking of live-casting..

Currently, Zdaemon does not have the ability to record demos. However, it is very likely that these matches will have live casting options so I urge everybody to post their match times on designated threads so we can coordinate our caster(s) accordingly. In a perfect world, I would love for every single match to be recorded so a Twitch VOD can be saved for each match.

I will also be asking all server admins to run the optional wad modidoom, which allows the player to remove weapon textures. I understand this may seem unfair, but this was an option that was always available to players in the past and was recently removed. A few players have expressed to me that they'd really like for this wad to be made available. You won't be forced to play with it, I certainly hate the idea of using it because it'd mess with my game big-time personally.

Lastly, I am not opposed to European (or other long-distance regions) players playing in this tournament. I must remind you that this is a North American tournament so the burden is on you to make yourself available to a schedule consistent with that of an NA player. That's not to say agreements can't be made that do work for you, I am simply making it be known now that you shouldn't expect it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sign-ups will officially close on October 1st at 11:59pm EST. If you do not sign up here or message me directly on one of the disclosed platforms above before this deadline, no exceptions will be made. I will be looking to post these on other doom community forum boards once I am given access. Until then, this will be the only official sign-up thread. I hope to hear from all of you soon. Good luck! Twisted Evil

"only grass can jump me" -tupac shakiraaaa

-HateDaddy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Confirmed Sign-Ups:

DevastatioN
JKist3
Hatred
Edd (Dr_Noob)
X-Ray
Demonsphere
Torment (Strangle)
Stall (ItalianStallion)
Animal
Last edited by HateDaddy on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Doomkid
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Posts: 883
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:04 am
Location: Aussie Land
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]
Contact:

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#2

Post by Doomkid » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:57 am

I've had this vague idea of doing a cross-port tournament type thing where it doesn't really matter what port is used, as long as the dmflags and server settings match up. Nice to see someone actually doing it. Good luck with this!

User avatar
Ru5tK1ng
Posts a lot
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#3

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:04 pm

ZDDL NS Settings
Oh you mean JKist settings
Currently, Zdaemon does not have the ability to record demos.
What? Is that real?

User avatar
Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum
Posts: 2134
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:38 pm
Location: Omnipresent

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#4

Post by Ivan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:49 pm

You lost me at Zdaemon...
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

User avatar
Galactus
Forum Regular
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:22 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#5

Post by Galactus » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Would've signed up if it was solely zandronum. Time to realize what the best port is.

User avatar
Ru5tK1ng
Posts a lot
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#6

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:32 am

It doesn't matter, the tournament changed from OS to JKist settings which is basically giving into terrorists. He bent to kists' will just so he would play. smh

User avatar
HateDaddy
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Not Quebec rofl

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#7

Post by HateDaddy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:27 pm

Ru5tK1ng wrote:It doesn't matter, the tournament changed from OS to JKist settings which is basically giving into terrorists. He bent to kists' will just so he would play. smh
It's almost as if NS settings excluding freelook + jump have been standard settings for dueling on d5m1 the last 10+ years, [DUI]Ru5tK1ng[T]. Is this where you tell me that isn't true and the real standard flags were destroyed in the twin towers on 9/11? :p

As for the default port being ZDaemon:

As I stated, I am not against players agreeing on a mutually desired port that isn't ZDaemon. However, of disagreement arises, then the default port will be ZDaemon. I truthfully believe Zandro has the best established administration in place of any port and it's come a long away. But the lagged BFG is still a colossal turnoff for me.

I will concede this: if we get good turnout, I will certainly do something for the Zandro community in the near future.

User avatar
HateDaddy
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Not Quebec rofl

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#8

Post by HateDaddy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Galactus wrote:Would've signed up if it was solely zandronum. Time to realize what the best port is.
In terms of performance, I certainly think it has drastically improved but ZD is still better for classic dueling style. For newer styled maps with even more modern dueling settings, I absolutely agree that Zandro is best.

I can't force you to do something you don't want to but may I request that you at least be open minded to playing on ZD when you can't find a mutually agreed upon no ZD port?

User avatar
Ru5tK1ng
Posts a lot
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#9

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:50 pm

HateDaddy wrote:
Ru5tK1ng wrote:It doesn't matter, the tournament changed from OS to JKist settings which is basically giving into terrorists. He bent to kists' will just so he would play. smh
It's almost as if NS settings excluding freelook + jump have been standard settings for dueling on d5m1 the last 10+ years, [DUI]Ru5tK1ng[T]. Is this where you tell me that isn't true and the real standard flags were destroyed in the twin towers on 9/11? :p
NS != (NOT EQUAL to) Jkist settings. When ZD ran NS tournaments they actually had freelook and jumping among other things. The term NS doesn't really mean anything anymore, it's just a marketing gimmick. The point remains that ZDDL settings were J's preferences which were forced on everyone who played in ZDDL. Of course, if the settings were actually OS, he would not have signed up at all. Oh well. :razz:

As for the default port being ZDaemon:

As I stated, I am not against players agreeing on a mutually desired port that isn't ZDaemon. However, of disagreement arises, then the default port will be ZDaemon. I truthfully believe Zandro has the best established administration in place of any port and it's come a long away. But the lagged BFG is still a colossal turnoff for me.

I will concede this: if we get good turnout, I will certainly do something for the Zandro community in the near future.
While it's a nice idea, no one from Zandro is going to sign up unless they already play ZD in some sort of fashion. Top players aren't going to be practicing on all 3 ports, they're going to stick to one: ZD. Sure round 1 or 2 might have a few matches on Zan or Oda, but no doubt the Semi-finals and final matches are going to be on ZD. The multi-port aspect of the tournament just isn't going to be a focal point. In terms of competition, 2 ports really need to die, at this point I wouldn't even care which two.

User avatar
HateDaddy
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Not Quebec rofl

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#10

Post by HateDaddy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:11 pm

Ru5tK1ng wrote:
HateDaddy wrote:
Ru5tK1ng wrote:It doesn't matter, the tournament changed from OS to JKist settings which is basically giving into terrorists. He bent to kists' will just so he would play. smh
It's almost as if NS settings excluding freelook + jump have been standard settings for dueling on d5m1 the last 10+ years, [DUI]Ru5tK1ng[T]. Is this where you tell me that isn't true and the real standard flags were destroyed in the twin towers on 9/11? :p
NS != (NOT EQUAL to) Jkist settings. When ZD ran NS tournaments they actually had freelook and jumping among other things. The term NS doesn't really mean anything anymore, it's just a marketing gimmick. The point remains that ZDDL settings were J's preferences which were forced on everyone who played in ZDDL. Of course, if the settings were actually OS, he would not have signed up at all. Oh well. :razz:

As for the default port being ZDaemon:

As I stated, I am not against players agreeing on a mutually desired port that isn't ZDaemon. However, of disagreement arises, then the default port will be ZDaemon. I truthfully believe Zandro has the best established administration in place of any port and it's come a long away. But the lagged BFG is still a colossal turnoff for me.

I will concede this: if we get good turnout, I will certainly do something for the Zandro community in the near future.
While it's a nice idea, no one from Zandro is going to sign up unless they already play ZD in some sort of fashion. Top players aren't going to be practicing on all 3 ports, they're going to stick to one: ZD. Sure round 1 or 2 might have a few matches on Zan or Oda, but no doubt the Semi-finals and final matches are going to be on ZD. The multi-port aspect of the tournament just isn't going to be a focal point. In terms of competition, 2 ports really need to die, at this point I wouldn't even care which two.
=\= looks better for non equating phenomena :P

Honestly at this point, you're nitpicking semantics which is a worthless venture - you know exactly what I'm referring to. I should remind you that most people at the time preferred these "JKist" settings - and nothing about these settings were remarkably different. They simply turned off auto-switch, enabled two way wall-running, etc. That's how the map has always been played. Will it make you feel better if I edit the post and say "ZDDL" settings? I'm a bit confused as to why you care about insignificant semantics so much. Are you suggesting I should enable jump/freelook and other random settings for the tournament?

As for port competition, I think the idea that other ports should "die" is a rather foolish belief system. Granted, ZD and Oda are practically dead in terms of development while Zandro isn't. But I believe Zandro performs best for what you probably see as legitimate new school settings and I absolutely would be willing to host a tournament for such an event after this tournament. In fact, I can think of a wad or two I might use for such a tournament. :wink:

User avatar
Ru5tK1ng
Posts a lot
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#11

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:58 pm

. . . and nothing about these settings were remarkably different. They simply turned off auto-switch. . .
Dweller and Judas would like to have a word with you. Aren't silent spawns off as well? SSL2 would also like to have a word with you.
That's how the map has always been played.
You mean, since the late 2000s. Not always.
I'm a bit confused as to why you care about insignificant semantics so much. Are you suggesting I should enable jump/freelook and other random settings for the tournament?
No because it's almost disingenuous to call it NS when there's hardly anything 'NS' about the settings. JKist/ZDDL settings would be the best way to describe it. I never said anything about turning on jumping or freelook.
As for port competition, I think the idea that other ports should "die" is a rather foolish belief system.
What's wrong with having a centralized port for everyone to play? Even to this day there is more bickering and fighting done on forums/irc regarding what port to use for leagues, matches, etc. than there are actual big matches going on. Having a competitive scene split 3 ways is probably one of the most backward things I can think of. Recall many years ago, when there was no Odamex and Skulltag was still in its infancy, how big the tournaments on ZD were. It wasn't just US, it was Euro and Oceania as well that had monthly events going on. Granted it did die down, but that's largely due to the dedicated people running the show either leaving, getting chased off or getting banned and the people who replaced them were shit in comparison.

In any case, nothing like that has been seen since and glimpses of that kind of activity were never long term. Yes, every port has had its problems in the last several years: IDL left ZD, 1.09 didn't live up to the hype, the entire Euro scene got deleted off a server, IDL on Odamex was painful, NADA went to shit once nubhat took it over, people who wouldn't know how to run a faucet tried to run leagues on ST/Zan. But if there was one port, there would at least be less talk and more fight.
I absolutely would be willing to host a tournament for such an event after this tournament.
The truth of the matter is, the further you go away from OS, the less people will play.

User avatar
Mobius
Posts a lot
Posts: 706
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:43 am
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Contact:

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#12

Post by Mobius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:55 pm

HateDaddy wrote:
Galactus wrote:Would've signed up if it was solely zandronum. Time to realize what the best port is.
In terms of performance, I certainly think it has drastically improved but ZD is still better for classic dueling stylet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I20kBbwQL_g
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

User avatar
Galactus
Forum Regular
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:22 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#13

Post by Galactus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:33 pm

No auto-switch? Ey so even if it goes to zandronum I won't sign up. What's wrong with using the settings that 99% of the servers use?

User avatar
HateDaddy
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Not Quebec rofl

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#14

Post by HateDaddy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Ru5tK1ng wrote:
. . . and nothing about these settings were remarkably different. They simply turned off auto-switch. . .
Dweller and Judas would like to have a word with you. Aren't silent spawns off as well? SSL2 would also like to have a word with you.
That's how the map has always been played.
You mean, since the late 2000s. Not always.
I'm a bit confused as to why you care about insignificant semantics so much. Are you suggesting I should enable jump/freelook and other random settings for the tournament?
No because it's almost disingenuous to call it NS when there's hardly anything 'NS' about the settings. JKist/ZDDL settings would be the best way to describe it. I never said anything about turning on jumping or freelook.
As for port competition, I think the idea that other ports should "die" is a rather foolish belief system.
What's wrong with having a centralized port for everyone to play? Even to this day there is more bickering and fighting done on forums/irc regarding what port to use for leagues, matches, etc. than there are actual big matches going on. Having a competitive scene split 3 ways is probably one of the most backward things I can think of. Recall many years ago, when there was no Odamex and Skulltag was still in its infancy, how big the tournaments on ZD were. It wasn't just US, it was Euro and Oceania as well that had monthly events going on. Granted it did die down, but that's largely due to the dedicated people running the show either leaving, getting chased off or getting banned and the people who replaced them were shit in comparison.

In any case, nothing like that has been seen since and glimpses of that kind of activity were never long term. Yes, every port has had its problems in the last several years: IDL left ZD, 1.09 didn't live up to the hype, the entire Euro scene got deleted off a server, IDL on Odamex was painful, NADA went to shit once nubhat took it over, people who wouldn't know how to run a faucet tried to run leagues on ST/Zan. But if there was one port, there would at least be less talk and more fight.
I absolutely would be willing to host a tournament for such an event after this tournament.
The truth of the matter is, the further you go away from OS, the less people will play

Let's remember that between 2005-2009, most servers ran no-switch on pick up as standard and you didn't complain then. Most non DUI/OS players didn't complain because they accepted it. In short, you want me to call it ZDDL settings because you have a hateboner for JKist.

As for the rest, the community died because active competitive players stopped playing. In its prime, ZD was the competitive port and ST was the port for gzdoom game modes. Both served equally important roles to the doom community and had their own respective communities.

User avatar
HateDaddy
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Not Quebec rofl

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#15

Post by HateDaddy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:25 pm

Mobius wrote:
HateDaddy wrote:
Galactus wrote:Would've signed up if it was solely zandronum. Time to realize what the best port is.
In terms of performance, I certainly think it has drastically improved but ZD is still better for classic dueling stylet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I20kBbwQL_g
Wow a 20+ year old game has bugs, who knew?

User avatar
HateDaddy
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Not Quebec rofl

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#16

Post by HateDaddy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Galactus wrote:No auto-switch? Ey so even if it goes to zandronum I won't sign up. What's wrong with using the settings that 99% of the servers use?
As I stated, during zdaemons prime for dueling from 2005-2009, most servers ran no-switch. I don't have a problem with anyone not preferring those settings but don't pretend that this wasn't what the majority of the community wanted because it was.

Konda
Forum Regular
Posts: 455
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#17

Post by Konda » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:47 pm

HateDaddy wrote:
Mobius wrote:
HateDaddy wrote:
Galactus wrote:Would've signed up if it was solely zandronum. Time to realize what the best port is.
In terms of performance, I certainly think it has drastically improved but ZD is still better for classic dueling stylet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I20kBbwQL_g
Wow a 20+ year old game has bugs, who knew?
Well, your argument was that ZD performs better than Zan in duels. I've been playing Skulltag/Zandronum for a long time and I don't think I've ever seen something like that happen here with classic weapons.

User avatar
Ru5tK1ng
Posts a lot
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#18

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:04 pm

Let's remember that between 2005-2009, most servers ran no-switch on pick up as standard and you didn't complain then. Most non DUI/OS players didn't complain because they accepted it.
Irrelevant.
In short, you want me to call it ZDDL settings because you have a hateboner for JKist.
No, I want it to be called what it is. Simple as that. I know you're part of the Jkist Defense Force, but you're reading far to deeply into this.
As for the rest, the community died because active competitive players stopped playing. In its prime, ZD was the competitive port and ST was the port for gzdoom game modes. Both served equally important roles to the doom community and had their own respective communities.
And the small list of events I listed are times when said players departed. Yes both ports served their role years ago, but in the interest of competition, it would still be better for 1 central place. Odamex tried to be that place, but obviously it didn't work out as seeing everyone still fights over 3 ports.

User avatar
HateDaddy
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Not Quebec rofl

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#19

Post by HateDaddy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:05 pm

Konda wrote:
HateDaddy wrote:
Mobius wrote:
HateDaddy wrote:
In terms of performance, I certainly think it has drastically improved but ZD is still better for classic dueling stylet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I20kBbwQL_g
Wow a 20+ year old game has bugs, who knew?
Well, your argument was that ZD performs better than Zan in duels. I've been playing Skulltag/Zandronum for a long time and I don't think I've ever seen something like that happen here with classic weapons.
For some of the more traditional maps, I believe it does. Different ports have different bugs - I'm sure I could find something to nitpick with Zandro. I'm also not proclaiming that ZD is perfect but between the two, at very basic levels of doom, ZD is still much more reliable.

User avatar
Mobius
Posts a lot
Posts: 706
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:43 am
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Contact:

Re: Official NA D5M1 Tournament Sign-Up Thread

#20

Post by Mobius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:08 pm

HateDaddy wrote:
Konda wrote:
HateDaddy wrote:
Wow a 20+ year old game has bugs, who knew?
Well, your argument was that ZD performs better than Zan in duels. I've been playing Skulltag/Zandronum for a long time and I don't think I've ever seen something like that happen here with classic weapons.
For some of the more traditional maps, I believe it does. Different ports have different bugs - I'm sure I could find something to nitpick with Zandro. I'm also not proclaiming that ZD is perfect but between the two, at very basic levels of doom, ZD is still much more reliable.
You know it's funny how lucky you are I can't find Watermelon's videos of typical Zdaemon ssg whiffs. I remember blockmap being a huge problem for the port. Do we have to bring up flying corpses, running chainsaws, and even invisible actors of 1.08 and that's tooted as the prime of Zdaemon?
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Post Reply