Zdaemon CTF points system

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Zeberpal
Forum Regular

Zdaemon CTF points system

Post by Zeberpal » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:30 am

There are two reasons why I still play zdaemon: incredibly fun [LA] wads, and the way Zdaemon calculate your combat efforts.
In case you you haven't touched zdaemon, there are no Flags and Frags stats. Just Points. +10pts for capturing, +5 for killing flag carrier, +2 for return flag, +1 for kills, I might be wrong here.

Current system in Zandronum can be unfair for those who is in offense. As we all know his job is to grab the flag without the necessity of killing opponents on his way(Some very few "o" ninja players don't even shoot).For example the offensive player grabs the flag, gets shot in his team base, ready to score. Then the defend player, who usually have most frags, gets the flag and scores. Gameover scoreboard doesn't correctly represent contribution of all team members. Zdaemon in this case is much more objective.

It's also interesting the way ZD handles survival/coop (both actual damage to monsters and kills) but all I care is CTF :>

As nobody yet made a TeamGame mod alike, it makes me think people like things the way they're working now. What do you think?

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Re: Zdaemon CTF points system

Post by Ivan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:47 am

Zeberpal wrote:There are two reasons why I still play zdaemon: incredibly fun [LA] wads, and the way Zdaemon calculate your combat efforts.
In case you you haven't touched zdaemon, there are no Flags and Frags stats. Just Points. +10pts for capturing, +5 for killing flag carrier, +2 for return flag, +1 for kills, I might be wrong here.

Current system in Zandronum can be unfair for those who is in offense. As we all know his job is to grab the flag without the necessity of killing opponents on his way(Some very few "o" ninja players don't even shoot).For example the offensive player grabs the flag, gets shot in his team base, ready to score. Then the defend player, who usually have most frags, gets the flag and scores. Gameover scoreboard doesn't correctly represent contribution of all team members. Zdaemon in this case is much more objective.

It's also interesting the way ZD handles survival/coop (both actual damage to monsters and kills) but all I care is CTF :>

As nobody yet made a TeamGame mod alike, it makes me think people like things the way they're working now. What do you think?
Actually it should be very easy to do and perhaps incorporate the survival point system we have into it, like a generalization of things. There was an event script type that was floating around but I've heard nothing about it's progress for a long time. Basically it grants modders access to the events taking place in games, like flag touch, capture etc. That could allow people to make mods where people are rewarded points instead. However we need a scoreboard definition lump or something along the lines that help us manipulate scoreboard...
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:22 am

There is ranking in Funcrusher pub CTF, which uses a system that's very similar to what you described (in that you can achieve high point count both by touching/capturing or having high frag counts).
The main problem with it is that it's using the shitty Zandronum account system that still doesn't have a meaningful frontend to save passwords in a secure way and not just in the config file by bind/alias (waiting on 3.0 zzz).
Currently you can just ask some noob to send their config file and successfully steal their password.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:32 am

Ivan wrote:There was an event script type that was floating around but I've heard nothing about it's progress for a long time. Basically it grants modders access to the events taking place in games, like flag touch, capture etc. That could allow people to make mods where people are rewarded points instead.
EVENT scripts are supported since 1.3:

Code: Select all

+	- Added new script type EVENT. By calling EVENT scripts the engine notifies a mod that a noteworthy event happened and also provides some information about the event using 'arg1' and 'arg2'. So far the following events are supported:
		GAMEEVENT_PLAYERFRAGS (player frags another player)
		GAMEEVENT_MEDALS (player receives a medal)
		GAMEEVENT_CAPTURES (player captures the flag/skull)
		GAMEEVENT_TOUCHES (player touches the flag/skull)
		GAMEEVENT_RETURNS (the flag/skull is returned)
		GAMEEVENT_ROUND_STARTS
		GAMEEVENT_ROUND_ENDS (the current round ends and the win sequence starts, e.g. when the fraglimit is hit)
		GAMEEVENT_ROUND_ABORTED  (the current round is ended prematurely, e.g. if all players leave the game)
	[Torr Samaho, Water] 
Ivan wrote:However we need a scoreboard definition lump or something along the lines that help us manipulate scoreboard...
Wouldn't it be sufficient if you had a function that allows to change the number of points a player has?
ZZYZX wrote:There is ranking in Funcrusher pub CTF, which uses a system that's very similar to what you described (in that you can achieve high point count both by touching/capturing or having high frag counts).
The main problem with it is that it's using the shitty Zandronum account system that still doesn't have a meaningful frontend to save passwords in a secure way and not just in the config file by bind/alias (waiting on 3.0 zzz).
The saving system I added in 3.0 based on Windows Vault is sufficient, isn't it?

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:52 am

Torr Samaho wrote:
Ivan wrote:There was an event script type that was floating around but I've heard nothing about it's progress for a long time. Basically it grants modders access to the events taking place in games, like flag touch, capture etc. That could allow people to make mods where people are rewarded points instead.
EVENT scripts are supported since 1.3:

Code: Select all

+	- Added new script type EVENT. By calling EVENT scripts the engine notifies a mod that a noteworthy event happened and also provides some information about the event using 'arg1' and 'arg2'. So far the following events are supported:
		GAMEEVENT_PLAYERFRAGS (player frags another player)
		GAMEEVENT_MEDALS (player receives a medal)
		GAMEEVENT_CAPTURES (player captures the flag/skull)
		GAMEEVENT_TOUCHES (player touches the flag/skull)
		GAMEEVENT_RETURNS (the flag/skull is returned)
		GAMEEVENT_ROUND_STARTS
		GAMEEVENT_ROUND_ENDS (the current round ends and the win sequence starts, e.g. when the fraglimit is hit)
		GAMEEVENT_ROUND_ABORTED  (the current round is ended prematurely, e.g. if all players leave the game)
	[Torr Samaho, Water] 
Ivan wrote:However we need a scoreboard definition lump or something along the lines that help us manipulate scoreboard...
Wouldn't it be sufficient if you had a function that allows to change the number of points a player has?
ZZYZX wrote:There is ranking in Funcrusher pub CTF, which uses a system that's very similar to what you described (in that you can achieve high point count both by touching/capturing or having high frag counts).
The saving system I added in 3.0 based on Windows Vault is sufficient, isn't it?
I didn't know we already had those... Guess it's possible now.

However for points, as you said for this specific use case it is good enough but wouldn't it be better to allow more sections to be defined? I think having a generic (as much as possible) system for handling scoreboards is more desirable in the long term.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:19 am

Torr Samaho wrote: The saving system I added in 3.0 based on Windows Vault is sufficient, isn't it?
What about people that don't use Windows?
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Ivan wrote:However for points, as you said for this specific use case it is good enough but wouldn't it be better to allow more sections to be defined? I think having a generic (as much as possible) system for handling scoreboards is more desirable in the long term.
Sure, a more generic scoreboard would be nice.
Sean wrote:
Torr Samaho wrote: The saving system I added in 3.0 based on Windows Vault is sufficient, isn't it?
What about people that don't use Windows?
For Linux and OS X we need platform specific solutions. If anybody would like to contribute something, that would be great. For Linux, the situation is even more complicated than with Windows and OS X, since one needs to have a solution specific to the user's desktop environment, i.e. GNOME Keyring, KWallet, etc.