Page 1 of 7

John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 pm
by one_Two
Sorry to take matters in to my own hands but I thought if I don't ask him soon he might be booked up come December, but yeah I asked if he wanted to play the 20th anniversary of doom SNS (the correlation between the two) and he said :

Image

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:47 pm
by Frits
Finally, a use for 64 slots

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:50 pm
by Iced
Now we have to decide whether we try to "wow" him by pushing the boundaries of this port, or if we just kick it old school for the anniversary.

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:27 pm
by ibm5155
Frits wrote: Finally, a use for 64 slots
:lol: :cool:

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:44 pm
by Springy
Excellent news one_two. First he registers to ZDoom and now this, excellent. I will be participating in this.

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 pm
by Medicris
IT'S_HAPPENING.jpg

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:02 pm
by Disguise
That's amazing indeed!

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:14 pm
by Luke
Iced wrote:try to "wow" him by pushing the boundaries of this port
Great news!

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:34 pm
by TerminusEst13
Oh. My. Damn.

We should cook up some sort of special project for him, a "Welcome Home" sort of deal.
But what should we do? Weapons? Classes? Maps? A gameplay mutator?

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 pm
by Dusk
Better make it one epic 20th anniversary SNS. I'm stocked for reals and this isn't often.

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 pm
by one_Two
TerminusEst13 wrote: Oh. My. Damn.

We should cook up some sort of special project for him, a "Welcome Home" sort of deal.
But what should we do? Weapons? Classes? Maps? A gameplay mutator?
Yeah I was thinking of a year long project. I think it'd have to be old school style though :)

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:39 pm
by NachtIntellect
Dude this is big news, should definitely cook up a few new maps while keeping it old style doom while also showing him what everyone has done with this port.

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:08 pm
by TerminusEst13
That's a bit of a contradicting goal, isn't it? If we stick to "old style doom", then we probably won't be able to show off the better, flashier, and greater capabilities of the port. Likewise, if we want to show off the power of this port, we won't be able to really show off old-style stuff as well.

I think it'd be better if we picked one goal and stuck with it.

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:27 pm
by one_Two
TerminusEst13 wrote: That's a bit of a contradicting goal, isn't it? If we stick to "old style doom", then we probably won't be able to show off the better, flashier, and greater capabilities of the port. Likewise, if we want to show off the power of this port, we won't be able to really show off old-style stuff as well.

I think it'd be better if we picked one goal and stuck with it.
Yeah you're right, most people start to play new doom ports because of the nostalgia and love of the old game but stay around for all the new features. I only thought old school to truly pay homage to doom - rather than just a port but I'm not fussed either way.

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:48 pm
by ├ćnima
Let's just show him all the stuff that Essel and Mechadon have made recently. And nothing else.

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm
by Cruduxy
Or a multipart SNS with old school and then new school...

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:01 pm
by Ijon Tichy
Are we going for nostalgia here? Because there's one mod I help someone with that comes to mind when nostalgia is mentioned... Ranger might bring up bad memories, but still.

And load it with ACStris because why the fuck not I guess? Not like it'd hurt (although I'd need to make it spectator-compatible) :V

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:09 pm
by Catastrophe
Wow hes playing....in 11 months

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 pm
by Zupoman
Ijon Tichy wrote: Are we going for nostalgia here? Because there's one mod I help someone with that comes to mind when nostalgia is mentioned... Ranger might bring up bad memories, but still.

And load it with ACStris because why the fuck not I guess? Not like it'd hurt (although I'd need to make it spectator-compatible) :V
If you can, tell somewhere how exactly interacting with spectators worked , because IIRC that was a slighty complex shit, and I am curious. :U Was it something with function/script return values?

RE: John Romero will play SNS this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:36 pm
by The Toxic Avenger
Holy fucking shit