How do I play co-op Brutal Doom with my friend?

General help and assistance forum.
captiongoosebut
Registered just to make one post

How do I play co-op Brutal Doom with my friend?

Post by captiongoosebut » Mon May 09, 2016 9:47 pm

Few things.
Does Zandronum only work with doom 1 and 2? Or can I also play brutal doom?
I basically just want to play through the "campaign" levels with my friend in 2 player online co-op mode on Brutal Doom.
I'm willing to use hamachi. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
I kind of understand. I already "made" a server using the build in stuff, but I don't even know how to invite my friend and also do I need to port forward?

Any help is appreciated.

kars
New User

Re: How do I play co-op Brutal Doom with my friend?

Post by kars » Mon May 09, 2016 10:07 pm

Zandronum will work with Brutal doom, and Doom.wad as well as Doom2.wad , and most other (custom) wads.

Just download and install it.

You can use Tungle or Hamachi for an easy lan game.
Use Doomseeker to create a private Zandronum server.
Have you friend boot up Zandronum with the same Brutal doom file in his wad folder
When you got your server running, and you're both on the same LAN, let your friend type in the console (hit ~ in game) connect [your game's IP address].

Mod Edit: Dont ever put stuff in your skins folder. I don't know where this suggestion came from but it's terrible.

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Tue May 10, 2016 3:05 am

Noooooo! Don't put brutal doom in your skins folder! If you do that, then you can't play anything but brutal doom. There are lots of other fun mods to play.
Also you don't need hamachi. Just use Doomseeker to set up a server, and put a password on it if you don't want other players to join in.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

THEBLACKMOONHOWL
New User

Post by THEBLACKMOONHOWL » Mon May 16, 2016 11:17 pm

Port forwarding is not that hard to do. Just login to your router page, go to whatever tab port forwarding is on, and select your computer IP and forward Doomseeker's ports on that. It's *technically* not as simple as Hamachi, but once you get into it port forwarding can be very versatile. And never ever put pk3/wad's in your skins.
"Huervo1929: i caNT FREAKING GET MY ARM UNSTUCK FROM MY BED CALL MY PARENTS"

Blyte
New User

Post by Blyte » Mon May 23, 2016 6:15 am

THEBLACKMOONHOWL wrote:And never ever put pk3/wad's in your skins.
Why? I put high res texture wad and music wads in the skin folder I haven't had any problems.

Yellowtail
Forum Regular

Post by Yellowtail » Mon May 23, 2016 6:34 am

Blyte wrote:
Why? I put high res texture wad and music wads in the skin folder I haven't had any problems.
He's exaggerating quite a lot. Never put mappacks/game modifier wads in your skins folder. (Mappack example: Alien Vendetta. Game modifier example: Samsara. Mixture of both: ZDWars)

Doomkid
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by Doomkid » Mon May 23, 2016 7:47 am

Side note, the 'skins' folder really should have just been called the 'autoexec' folder from the start. As it is now a lot of users seem to be confused about how it works. Not only do we have people saying "Brutal Doom is a great skin for Doom", thinking that skins meant "themes" essentially, but we have newer players joining servers with actual skins in their skins folder, thinking that because their client sees it, all clients will see it. It just seems to have added a lot of confusion in many ways for many players and only a minority actually end up using it for player skins. I know it's been around since like 2009 or so, but still.

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Mon May 23, 2016 8:03 am

My skins folder currently has only "hiresdoomfont old plushud.wad" and "hiresdoomnumbers.wad" in it.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

THEBLACKMOONHOWL
New User

Post by THEBLACKMOONHOWL » Tue May 24, 2016 1:47 am

Yellowtail wrote:
Blyte wrote:
He's exaggerating quite a lot. Never put mappacks/game modifier wads in your skins folder. (Mappack example: Alien Vendetta. Game modifier example: Samsara. Mixture of both: ZDWars)
Yes, sorry. That's what I meant to say. Skins folder is for anything that you can safely load in that will not be problematic for other WADs. Which means map files and game modifiers should never go inside there, as you won't be able to play on any server but the ones with the same files as the ones in your skin folder.
"Huervo1929: i caNT FREAKING GET MY ARM UNSTUCK FROM MY BED CALL MY PARENTS"