Essay Duels revised

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Decay
Topic author
Under Moderation

Essay Duels revised

Post#1 by Decay » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:59 am

Yes I know I have another topic for it but instead of dredging it up I'm making a new thread because I gave the wad a new purpose.

Essay Duels! A map pack consisting of maps generated by stress induced by my university experience.

Originally it was a pack of all the duel/dm maps I had ever made during my undergrad into one pack designed strictly for OS play. This wad now follows Rustking's NOS (Newschool/Oldschool) approach. In case you are unfamiliar with NOS, there are a few features that characterize it, such as:

- No double ammo (set skill to UV)
- ITEMS RESPAWN
- Freelook
- No jump
- Actors are NOT infinitely tall
- Limited air movement
- PWO enabled

For another great example, check out Rust's Eon Deathmatch. However, you CAN play these maps in a pure OS style if you so desire. Jumping will not break them either. It is meant for duel and low dm numbers (2-6, 8 tops).

Instead of constantly changing and waiting around to release my older pack, I stripped out a bunch of maps, added a new one, made some edits to make this pack geared for more strategic play around items. I'm not going to wait around for a final release, if you have anything to say negative or positive, cool, if you have a bug to point out, I will fix it. If you have game play suggestions, I will look into them. Otherwise, enjoy.

They will work on any of the 3 major source-ports (odamex, zandronum, zdaemon). Some are in boom, some are in doom in hexen, but it doesn't really matter now does it. These maps were made in very little time, and use purely doom2.wad resources.

map01: Shattered Dreams
map02: Dissertation
map03: Essay43
map04: Analysis
map05: Broken Memories
map06: Conclusion
map07: Methodology
map08: Thesis

Spoiler: Screenshots (Open)

And last but not least, dl link: http://www.best-ever.org/download?file=essays1.wad
Last edited by Decay on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ru5tK1ng
Forum Regular

RE: Essay Duels revised

Post#2 by Ru5tK1ng » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:11 am

A very solid duel pack that looks a bit unorthodox, but that's part of it's charm and the gameplay benefits from the unique approach. Definitely worth giving it a shot and I shamefully vouch for the NOS gameplay.
Last edited by Ru5tK1ng on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Decay
Topic author
Under Moderation

Post#3 by Decay » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:31 pm

http://speedy.sh/Kz3bW/essays1.zip SHAZAM here's the final release. I decided not to hang onto these maps (most have been kicking around for quite some time) and just get them out. Enjoy!

Zakken
Forum Regular

Post#4 by Zakken » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:53 pm

About time this thing came out! Thanks for providing us with more quality competitive maps, as usual. c:
* Determination.

Return to “Projects, Maps & Mods”