My thoughts as of beta18a:
Note that these are just "run around the map" reviews, so some of them might be questionable to play, but I think first impressions mean a lot:
- MAP01: I like it. If you tortured me for ONE thing to change, I'd make the connecting hallway between the bases a little cooler looking to draw attention to it.
- MAP02: I like it. Not much to say about it.
- MAP03: All the health potions are annoying. Seriously though, I think that this map would be more...fun as a flat map instead of having to wait on a lift to bring you to the base. That just seems...not great. Raise the mid to be 64-units below the side exits and replace the lifts with stairs. Also, see if you can compress vertically the flag room, gives me vertigo.
- MAP04: I like it. The gimmick here is really well executed. Only pet peeve is that the slime doesn't damage, but I don't think it should, just that you should use something that doesn't look like it damages.
- MAP05: Make the bars by the rocket launcher silver instead of brown, and make it so you can just 'use' the bars from anywhere, otherwise people will get pissed off when they press +use and it doesn't work. I like it otherwise.
- MAP06: I remember this map from Chaos Core. I think the map is nice for the most part, but one thing that bugs me that the ramp from the flag room to the side room is a ramp and not a set of stairs. Just doesn't feel like there ought to be a ramp there.
- MAP07: This map feels really half-baked to be honest. Pretty messy, and the under-base tunnel just seems...forced. I'd toss it, but try something in the same vein.
- MAP08: I like it from the most part, but see if you can make the bridges feel more solid instead of just having two midtex running side by side.
- MAP09: What the hell happened here? This tries to fix swap meet in the wrong way imho - now middle is way too cramped and the rest of the map feels 'blown out' too much. Start with the IDL version and just widen the bases and you're good.
- MAP10: I like it. Not much to say about it.
- MAP11: This map needs more time in the oven. Two narrow pathways surrounding a deep-as-hell mid. No thanks.
- MAP12: The layout I feel could be good, but it feels like the transitions between Z-heights are handled in the most ungraceful way possible. This map is one I'd feel disappointed if it was just scrapped, because it has potential.
- MAP13: This map could be good. I really like the concept. But it's too hard to find your way back to dry land when you fall in the water, the flag hut is just yuck, and that lava trap feels like an afterthought. Sand the corners off this map and I think you'd have something here.
- MAP14: Two gripes about this map - the glass by the flag is too transparent and I keep running into it, and I don't like the fact that the lift is hidden behind a wall. Other than that, I quite like the layout.
- MAP15: I remember this map from Chaos Core. Sorry, but it wasn't good there either. The middle is uninspiring and the bases have worse z-axis transitions than MAP12. If I were to BEGIN to fix this map, I'd delete mid and flatten the bases, then see where that took me. Honestly, I'd rather just yank the cool skybox and use it for another map.
- MAP16: They layout looks good, but I'd need to see where the detail is going to make a decent judgement on the map.
- MAP17: I like it. I was ready to rip you for doing a re-adjustment-adjustment of a map I've seen twice before, but I think it actually works out in the end.
Last edited by AlexMax
on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.
Escape will make me God.