For those that don't know, Rocket Arena is the most popular multiplayer mod in the Quake community.
So popular in fact, it carried on into Quake 2, 3, and 4.
Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Arena
How it works:
- 2 players start in an arena(typically 1 room), and prepare to fight eachother (with full power(health/armor/weapons)) until 1 player is left standing as the winner.
- The winning player will remain in the arena, and fight the next player in line(queue).
- NOTE: Although the mod is called "Rocket Arena", you are allowed to use all weapons. However, certain maps are allowed to specify which weapons are allowed (for example, MAP04 is railguns only).
- 10 maps.
- New music.
- New background and logo.
- Supports bots.
If you'd like to run your own server, here is the config you would use:
Code: Select all
sv_hostname "(kr) Rocket Arena v1.3.1"
sv_motd "(kr) Rocket Arena v1.3.1 \cdby arkore"
// Force Skulltag to use the dmflags we want; don't set any defaults.
// Reset the compat flags.
// Make sure that we don't display launcher queries in the window.
// (Otherwise, logfiles will get HUGE!)
// Game mode
// Set the map rotation.
Code: Select all
"C:\Games\Zandronum\zandronum.exe" -host +exec "C:\Games\Zandronum\Servers\krra-server.cfg" -file "C:\Games\Doom\Wads\skulltag_actors.pk3" -file "C:\Games\Doom\Wads\skulltag_data_fixed.pk3" -file "C:\Games\Doom\Wads\krra1.3.1.wad"
Bots are supported. Type "addbot" in console to add a bot.
This mod is an early release, and is barely a "mod"; only minor scripting was done, and it uses Skulltag's "Duel" gamemode (with a specific config) to handle most of the "mod" work.
Currently does not contain the extra features(such as Red Rover, Practice, etc.) that you might expect from modern Rocket Arena mods.
Only 1vs1 right now, and only 1 arena per map.
Clan Arena may be a separate mod, using Skulltag's "TeamLMS" gamemode.
Unable to display all images of maps, due to forum limit of 10.
(UPDATE) Version 1.2 -- 5 NEW MAPS
To create a map:
- Start a new "Skulltag (Doom in Hexen format)" map.
- Add skulltag_data_fixed.pk3 to your Resources.
- Create a room/arena.
- Add at 4 Deathmatch spawnpoints, and a Player 1 Start and Player 2 Start. (NOTE: The player start spawnpoints are not used, but are required for server to run "Duel" correctly.)
- 3D Floors, and Slopes are allowed.
- Send your map to me with your instructions: 1) Which weapons are allowed. 2) Name of your map. 3) Author name. -- I'll setup the scripting, music, etc. and add your map for next version release.
Code: Select all
1.2.1 -> 1.3.1
- added "botskill 4" to config
- added "bot_allowchat false" to config
- fixed weapons (for bots) for maps 2 - 10
- added extra deathmatch spawnpoints to maps, to reduce chance of telefragging at match starts. (each arena now has 4 deathmatch spawnpoints)
- bot will leave when more than 1 real player connects to server.
1.2 -> 1.2.1
- fixed bug where player won't go to spectator after killing himself when sv_norespawn is true
- support for bots
1.1 -> 1.2
- added 4 new maps
- friendlier teleporters in map02
- raised middle walls (slightly) in map02, so you can't jump over them
- fixed hom textures in map02
- enlarged map03
- lowered stairs in map06
1.0 -> 1.1
- fixed logo pallete
- new start screen background (with 2 doomguys fighting.)
- new map06
- added mapinfo
- added large doom font on-screen messaging for map name and author. - fixed maps so that you start with rocket launcher.
- updated some parameters in server config