What is Mercenaries?
Mercenaries is a gameplay mod for Zandronum. I originally started this mod more than 6 years ago, for Skulltag 97b. As the years went by, the project grew and grew, and eventually got a bit out of hand. The previous version, v1.9, was a cluttered mess. It was around 60mb of CS rips, mismatched hands, redundant weapons, unbalanced classes, broken scripts, overpowered monsters, etc. So I've decided to restart the Mercenaries project from the ground up and give it a fresh new start!
How do I play?
Kill monsters to make money. Then use that money to buy weapons, ammo, health, and useful equipment so that you can keep on killin' baddies and fillin' your bank account.
What's in the mod so far?
Tons of weapons like assault rifles, SMG's, carbines, sniper rifles, semi-auto shotguns, 4 different grenade types, landmines, attack dogs, a snazzy buy menu that you can use anywhere, and much more!
What's to come in future versions?
"Bounty" kills or "hits" that give you lots of money, "rare" items and weapons, auctions for rare items, a Mercenaries HQ map where you can train and save your items (so that you can come back to the server later!) and do cool stuff, "mission" maps (aka coop with objectives), deathmatch and possibly CTF maps, player classes like medic, sniper, and recon, and even more weapons will be added along the way!
What is Mercenaries compatible with?
Pretty much any map pack or megawad! The only mods Mercenaries is NOT compatible with are wads that contain R667 monsters (you won't make money from killing custom monsters) or mods that replace weapons or playerclasses. And no, Mercenaries is not compatible with Brutal Doom so don't even ask.
What do I need to play Mercenaries? (besides an IWAD like doom2)
3.) the latest version of SST (needs to be loaded before Mercs when you list the wads on your server/launcher)
Also, if you're going to play Mercs with a custom map pack, you need to load that right before skulltag_actors.pk3.
Can I see some screenies/vids before I download?
Where can I download Mercenaries?
>> HERE! <<
- alpha 2:
- made the shellbox $50 instead of $100
- fixed: you couldn't buy more than the non-backpack amount of ammo
- made it so that money pickups don't respawn in multiplayer
- reduced the vertical spread on the uzi's altfire to make it better for crowd-control
- increased the weedsphere pickup sound volume cuz it didn't seem loud enough
- made the p228 slightly more accurate
- altered the clusternade sprite to distinguish it from the fragnade
- made grenadeweapon undroppable
- fixed the "tutorial" messages
- increased the ak-47 raise speed
- m16 now clicks when clip is empty
Feedback and discussion is much appreciated!