Samsara - No longer under active development.

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Samsara - v0.21 - QoL updates everywhere!

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:47 am

And v0.21 is released. The majority of this stuff is mostly QoL stuff, little polishes and enhancements that make everything neater and shinier. Still, it's not without some big stuff--bots for Zandronum players, LMS support, and the Super Large Zorcher!

As always, please enjoy, and thank you all for your support.
SECURITY OFFICER
Wow. You put quite a bit of thought into that, haha. It's pretty interesting to read over, too--it's really nice to see what people would like, not to mention pretty good info. :D

EDIT:
WHOOPS turns out there was a big ol' bug with B.J. caused by a typo. Sorry about that.

EDIT 2:
WHOOPS TURNS OUT CORVUS SUDDENLY IS ORGASMING OVER HELLSTAFF AND CHEXTER SUDDENLY STOPS TAKING DAMAGE WHY DID THIS SHIT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO BREAK
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Animal Mother

RE: Samsara - v0.21b - QoL updates everywhere!

Post by Animal Mother » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:04 am

The weapon HUD now overlaps the inventory icon. And it doesn't automatically go away when bringing up the automap.
Last edited by Animal Mother on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aqua Kitty
Forum Regular
Location: Dreamland. There's a rebellion going on there and it isn't pretty.
Clan: Organization XIII

RE: Samsara - v0.21b - QoL updates everywhere!

Post by Aqua Kitty » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:31 am

At first I was about to ask about the Weapon bar. After perusing the change log, I discovered it can be toggled now.

For some reason BJ's weapon bar is always on no matter what.
DooMMakU - Bullet Hell Doom
<BlakJacket> Reisen: so basically you're Uwe Boll
"The smart kids know there isn't really a line between fact and fantasy" -Ranger
Spoiler: Names I may go by ingame (Open)
Aqua Kitty
Reisen Udongein Inaba
James Frost
Cirno
Cirnobog
Cyclo-F
ARX/NG 891

Net status: Finally have a better internet plan - alive and kicking!

TerminusEst13

RE: Samsara - v0.21c - QoL updates everywhere!

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:45 am

That would be the aforementioned big ol' B.J. bug.
Please download v0.21c.
Sorry.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TerminusEst13

RE: Samsara - v0.22 - Mostly DM shit, li'l bit o' QoL shit.

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:55 am

And v0.22 is out. For a primarily-DM-focused mod, it was kind of embarrassing that I'd been neglecting attention on the DM front...and it showed. There were some pretty blatant imbalances and problems that generally made DM play kind of a big ol' hassle!
But, well, thanks to some very patient pr0 players (who I'm sure had far too much fun mopping the floor with me) and some back-and-forth discussion as to how stuff could/couldn't work, I've spent the majority of this update doing balance stuff for DM play. Thank you all for your patience, and hopefully this is a less Duke-and-B.J.-are-god-tier build.

Thank you all for playing. I look over the drdteam file management, and with every update there's more and more downloads--when I first started there were barely 34 downloads, but with the last release it was almost 275. Wow. Thank you all very, very much for this--I'm just copying and pasting half the ZDoom wiki in a single mod, but seeing people genuinely enjoy this is just...an amazing treat and a half.
I appreciate everyone's feedback, suggestions, and criticisms, and I'm very happy to try and make this better with every update. If there's no other major problems with this release, then I'll be able to put the final hero in 0.23.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Disguise

Post by Disguise » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:45 pm

I tried it out a couple of days ago, and I must say this is pretty neat! It reminds me of the Generations Arena mod for Quake III Arena.

I guess, you are adding the Strife guy too, right? :razz:

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:11 pm

Can you make doom weapons behave how they used to? (EG old animations?) The new animations are really annoying.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:52 pm

I tried it out a couple of days ago, and I must say this is pretty neat! It reminds me of the Generations Arena mod for Quake III Arena. I guess, you are adding the Strife guy too, right?
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy it. Strifeguy probably isn't going in, simply because he's way way way too powerful compared to the others. If I can figure him out, though, he's certainly a candidate after the seventh.
Can you make doom weapons behave how they used to? (EG old animations?) The new animations are really annoying.
What's annoying about the animations, if I may be curious? The behavior should be exactly the same, the only difference should be that there's in-between frames.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:04 am

It's just that more experienced players are used to the good ol' choppy sprites, it just throws a lot of us off because of it. (Also, isn't it supposed to be as close to the original as possible? :p)

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:00 pm

Well, the last thing I want is to trip up the pro players! I'll see if I can make the smooth animations toggle-able, probably defaulting to off.

Death Egg

Post by Death Egg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:13 am

Any hints as to who the final hero is going to be?

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:30 pm

He was from a game very ahead of its time, innovative in so many ways, but now unfortunately piled in obscurity due to engine shenanigans. Even now, however, it still holds a rabid cult fanbase that continues to mod it even today--and rumors of a revival on the horizon have given the fanbase a new hope.

Not Strifeguy or Caleb.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Lo wang?
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Ichtudirweh
New User

Post by Ichtudirweh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:01 am

Ugh, so your not going to add the Strifeguy? I loved playing your wad on a heretic server, but I really wish I could play as the Strifeguy. I recently discovered the lost beauty of Strife a few months ago, and just completed a playthrough on the best ending. If he's overpowered, can you possibly tone down his attack damage on most of his weapons? I know the complete sigil is like a BFG on steroids, but damn I really want to see the Strifeguy to be a playable hero class. Perhaps you could lay out the indiviual sigil pieces as pickups in the wadfile? And maybe have the sigil pieces reset for each time you advance into a newer level? I think that would be pretty fair. If weapons like the mauler or the grenade launcher are too powerful, then why not make the damage similar to the other player classes? Basically the mauler is like a SSG, so just tone down the alt fire on the mauler or just eliminate it completely. I would also love to see strife's powerups to be in use, like IE the teleport beacon with the rebels would be awesome to use. I beg for you that you add the Strifeguy, after you release this unknown hero class in your next release. Thanks :D

Balrog
Forum Regular

Post by Balrog » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 am

TerminusEst13 wrote: He was from a game very ahead of its time, innovative in so many ways, but now unfortunately piled in obscurity due to engine shenanigans.
Check. (not sure about engine shenanigans)
TerminusEst13 wrote:Even now, however, it still holds a rabid cult fanbase that continues to mod it even today--
Check.
TerminusEst13 wrote:and rumors of a revival on the horizon have given the fanbase a new hope.
Check. (It's probably going to be disappointing, though.)
TerminusEst13 wrote:Not Strifeguy or Caleb.
For Carnage, Apply Within

Code: Select all

[15:53:14] balrog: one day, the original mm8bdm devteam from mfggu and i will meet in valhalla and we will be friends

<ijon>well fuk
<ijon>guess I gotta suck dicks now

(18:13:17)<Mayrine>i dont have to learnt anything about ACS

XutaWoo
Forum Regular

Post by XutaWoo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 am

Phosphorus grenades. Remove 'em, there'll be no reason for the grenade launcher to be in there. Keep 'em in, they're overpowered no matter how little damage they do.

Also, the Sigil would be incredibly hard to balance since it has to be powerful enough to be worthy enough in singleplayer, Survival, and LMS but weak enough to be not overpowered in everything else. Why? Well, when you have a ton of health everywhere, it's free. You literally have infinity ammo in maps where you can constantly find health, and health is a lot more common than megaweapon ammo.

So yeah, he's made it pretty clear why Strife won't be in.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Ichtudirweh
New User

Post by Ichtudirweh » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:18 am

Well, instead of the sigil draining health, why not make it share the energy ammo with the mauler and flamethrower? Kinda like how the BFG shares ammo with the plasma rifle. Make it so that it drains an incredibly high amount of ammo. If he try's hard enough, im sure you could make Strife balanced with all the other characters. If you really want balance, why not just remove all of the secondary weapons firing modes? That seems fair to me.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:47 am

XutaWoo wrote: Phosphorus grenades. Remove 'em, there'll be no reason for the grenade launcher to be in there. Keep 'em in, they're overpowered no matter how little damage they do.

Also, the Sigil would be incredibly hard to balance since it has to be powerful enough to be worthy enough in singleplayer, Survival, and LMS but weak enough to be not overpowered in everything else. Why? Well, when you have a ton of health everywhere, it's free. You literally have infinity ammo in maps where you can constantly find health, and health is a lot more common than megaweapon ammo.

So yeah, he's made it pretty clear why Strife won't be in.
Actually, most of those points aren't really that valid.
  • Sigil: Yes it's powerful, but you don't have to give them the MAX SIGIL, you could easily use the lower powered sigil attacks with a bit more health drain. Also, Sigil damage ignores armor (not really but I don't think it did a whole lot to armor vs health.) The only reason you could spam it any at all in the original Strife was because you could carry a BUNCH of health on you at any one time and it was automatically used, in this case like multiplayer, you would only be able to fire one or two shots before you were either killed, or had to run back with your tail between your legs to get health. Actually, compared to the BFG that would be really underpowered. Actually, I take back what I said about MAX SIGIL. Sigil 4 was like a straight line shot (you never get 5, the game ends) vs 3 which was like an AOE shot.
  • Grenades: The normal grenade launcher is a bit faster than the one we have now, but it is a REALLY easy weapon to kill yourself with. I've got a lot of StrifeDM experiance in that department... also, the explosion radius is nowhere near the doom rocket size.
    Phosporus grenades could easily just have their timer reduced. The whole point of them in the original Strife wasn't to kill everything in the room, but to block off an area and lure enemies into a fire-trap.
  • Mini-missiles: These would be quite powerful, but they don't have a large explosion radius, fire slower than the doom rocket launcher and travel just about as fast, don't kill on hit if you have armor :P
  • Flame thrower: Very nice close quarters offencive weapon, like a long, useful chainsaw
  • Assault rifle: Very strong, very innacurate with base accuracy. A targeter makes it a very strong weapon.
  • Crossbow: Unless you've got poison bolts or a hallway where they can't dodge your bolts, you're going to be killed right quick. Poison bolts are OP and should be very sparse.
  • Mauler: I waited for this one last because it's underrated. The mauler is pretty OP at any range (in deathmatch atleast, don't try to snipe in Strife SP) and can take out whole groups of enemies at a cost of health and ammo. It's like a bfg that goes in every direction, except it only goes a few feet and doesn't aim up and down.
Also, the weapons didn't have an altfire, you had two different "guns." You might make altfire switch to the other one though.
Last edited by Llewellyn on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aqua Kitty
Forum Regular
Location: Dreamland. There's a rebellion going on there and it isn't pretty.
Clan: Organization XIII

Post by Aqua Kitty » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:37 am

TerminusEst13 wrote: He was from a game very ahead of its time, innovative in so many ways, but now unfortunately piled in obscurity due to engine shenanigans. Even now, however, it still holds a rabid cult fanbase that continues to mod it even today--and rumors of a revival on the horizon have given the fanbase a new hope.

Not Strifeguy or Caleb.
Rise of the Triad?
DooMMakU - Bullet Hell Doom
<BlakJacket> Reisen: so basically you're Uwe Boll
"The smart kids know there isn't really a line between fact and fantasy" -Ranger
Spoiler: Names I may go by ingame (Open)
Aqua Kitty
Reisen Udongein Inaba
James Frost
Cirno
Cirnobog
Cyclo-F
ARX/NG 891

Net status: Finally have a better internet plan - alive and kicking!

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:39 am

The Avatar from Ultima Underworld (came before Doom, but had 3D floors and slopes)? ;)
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."