Lost Your Wads on Best-Ever? There is hope!

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Hey did you lose all your stuff on Best-Ever because you don't know how to back anything up??? If you answered yes and are considering panicking, try this stuff first. EDIT: oh yea jenova gave a backup; have fun downloading it and try dogsoft first for speed.
  1. http://doom.dogsoft.net - it has like complex doom and zdoomwars maps, HUGE chance your wad is here. layered with zdaemon security or whatever. Use getwad to search a filename too.
  2. http://www.wad-archive.com/ - pretty BIG site
  3. http://allfearthesentinel.net/wads - tspg will have people reuploading everything popular. use http://static.allfearthesentinel.net/wads/ if the first link doesn't work
  4. h ttp://static.[bad site]/be_wads.tar.gz - apparently now defunct. not recommended you try and it most likely won't work jenova's 155 gb download have fun

Nothing from the above? Really? Jenova linked a backup c'mon You're probably screwed:
  5. https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=631 - scower through the links on this, most are probably dead however
  6. There used to be a find the wad! page but I think it exploded now or something, I dunno. Some people like me like to keep many bytes of wads and we will happily share.
If u still can't find your wad after this, TOO BAD.
Last edited by Combinebobnt on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Re: Lost Your Wads on Best-Ever? There may be hope...

Post by Marcaek » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:33 pm

It's generally a bad idea to rely on one place to keep your files. NEVER EVER do that: always at least keep your wads on your computer and one or 2 sites at the very least.

If you need a personal directory to host projects you're working on consider opening a Dropbox.

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:37 pm

I will provide an archive and put the website back up within the next day or two, so you could also just wait a bit. Have to study for midterm atm. Also only like one person messaged me about getting a wad back so you could also literally just PM me and I'll respond.

Tux
Forum Regular

Post by Tux » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:59 pm

my wads folder is literally 22.5 gb large so there might be a chance your wad is in my library, if you need anything not released in 2016 I'll try to search and eventually upload it somewhere-just PM me at irc@Tux[Qyou]

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:58 pm

Here is the entire WAD archive (155gb): http://static.[bad site]/be_wads.tar.gz

FascistCat

Post by FascistCat » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:00 pm

Jenova wrote:Here is the entire WAD archive (155gb): http://static.[bad site]/be_wads.tar.gz
inb4 newbs killing bandwidth usage

Very thank you... I guess.

Sean
IRC Operator

Re: Lost Your Wads on Best-Ever? There is hope!

Post by Sean » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:16 pm

I'm downloading the BE archive to Painkiller and I'm gonna import it to TSPG Soon(TM).
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:40 pm

FascistCat wrote:
Jenova wrote:Here is the entire WAD archive (155gb): http://static.[bad site]/be_wads.tar.gz
inb4 newbs killing bandwidth usage

Very thank you... I guess.
We have unmetered bandwidth so it shouldn't be a problem.

[D_A]Kherr

Post by [D_A]Kherr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:28 pm

I know this is old, and sorry to necro post, but when I clicked on the static host for the best-ever archive (the 155 GB tar.gz file) the link that it directed me to is below in code, which then auto-closed the new tab where I opened said link in my browser.

Code: Select all

http://usa.zeroredirect11.com/zcredirect?visitid=[removed for safety]&type=js&browserWidth=1858&browserHeight=989&iframeDetected=false
Is that supposed to happen? If not, someone needs to take those links down so that others don't fall prey to whatever that link is doing.

*EDIT*

the zeroredirect11 thing seems to be a redirect virus that self installs in a split second then to prevent you from seeing what it's doing it auto-closes the tab/page/browser. Thankfully I have uBlock Origin and Adblock plus installed and it seemingly did nothing to me, and a quick scan from my AV found nothing so I seem to be safe, but these links need removed pronto.

*EDIT 2*

Turns out, my modified hosts file from someonewhocares.org/hosts/ stopped the attack by simply routing the traffic from that malicious URL to localhost so THANK GOD.
Last edited by [D_A]Kherr on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Post by NachtIntellect » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:06 pm

I recommend that 2nd one in OP goes down too, I got redirected to a phishing scam that was trying to get me to give out my info (Although I am definitely not stupid enough to do that) after looking at my IP address and finding out who my ISP is, remarkably and stupidly I accidentally clicked on it without reading Kherr's post because I was seeing if any of them hosted old versions of wads which I can archive.

[D_A]Kherr

Post by [D_A]Kherr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:12 pm

WhiteAce wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:06 pm
I recommend that 2nd one in OP goes down too, I got redirected to a phishing scam that was trying to get me to give out my info after looking at my IP address and finding out who my ISP is, remarkably and stupidly I accidentally clicked on it without reading Kherr's post because I was seeing if any of them hosted old versions of wads which I can archive.
The second link is the one I clicked on that directed me to that zero redirect site thing, Link #2 in OPs post is what I'm talking about. It's repeated numerous times throughout this thread and I don't want anyone getting any viruses or anything, so these should be removed.

On a side note - bitdefender keeps blocking access to doom.dogsoft.net for me under the guise of threat detected so I don't know what's up with that either. I've never had any troubles from dogsoft before, but if my program is detecting the site itself as a threat then I'm going to steer clear for the time being just to be safe. Idk...

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 pm

Post by Combinebobnt » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:18 pm

yea it's been a while to expect that site to still be valid. this thread was more for the immediate aftermath. long term, if the wad is not on like wad archive or whatever, it's gone now.

[D_A]Kherr

Post by [D_A]Kherr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:10 am

Combinebobnt wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 pm
Post by Combinebobnt » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:18 pm

yea it's been a while to expect that site to still be valid. this thread was more for the immediate aftermath. long term, if the wad is not on like wad archive or whatever, it's gone now.
The point of me posting was simply to alert people to NOT go to that link. I didn't expect it to work but hey, I've seen weirder things that are older that still work, so I figured I'd try and I almost got burned. Just don't want this happening to someone else. I only dodged the proverbial bullet because of my modified hosts file that already had an entry for that zeroredirect11 site. Thank god.

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:03 pm

I'm pretty sure most people would know not to go to BE at this point given how TSPG is the known name and BE faded into obscurity after Jenobyl.

However next time please PM the thread author instead of bumping a year old thread for it. Normally I'd have split and trashed by now but people started replying again.