Survivalism (DayZ / Rust Inspired) - Now with Persistent Inventory

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Re: Survivalism (DayZ / Rust Inspired) - Now with Persistent Inventory

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:45 am

TGminer wrote:
8. When changing maps, all logged players will have their items count reduced to 1 for every different item they have. If you had 400 Wood units, after changemap it reverts to 1 and this applies to all items in your inventory.
Yep, that really needs to be fixed.
This is from Heretic. When you changed levels, all item counts reset to 1, and that's apparently a default.

Scarscream
Registered just to make one post

Post by Scarscream » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:25 am

so far I'm actually enjoying this mod, finding all the bugs and exploits so they can be taken care of but there is one problem that can be game breaking when its on a server, its the lag, and not just any lag mind you, its when someone dies and if they have large amount of items in their inventory it will cause a massive lagspike that can either make people dc, or might get killed if they are in the middle of something.

possible suggestion that upon death instead of dropping all of your items have a backpack drop with your items inside with the inventory guard that you have in place if its possible.

if something like this can be done it could possibly remove alot of stress off of the server.

I have alot of other suggestions but its so long it might take up a few pages.

but overall, keep working on it. i know it takes time but this mod is very enjoyable.

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:53 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for finding all the bugs. :) You guys pointed out a whole bunch of problems I never noticed before, like the issue with changing maps, which is oddly intended ZDoom behaviour apparently. (Thanks TheMightyHeracross! Saved me a lot of head scratching on that.)

Inspired by your frustration, I set out to rewrite the way the inventory saving system works this week, and properly make it autosave. I have some good news: It works! The next update will complete do away with manual loading and saving because I figured out a crazy way to make it work automatically without impacting server performance. As an added bonus, I was able to work around the level changing behaviour too, so if you callvote changemap to a new level, it'll autosave and autoload your stuff through that transition too. (There appears to be a small difference in behaviour of UNLOADING scripts when you're calling changemap serverside vs. via callvote, but I'll file a bug ticket for that.)

So, that should fix up a lot of frustration and lost inventories due to disconnections/forgetting to save/etc. :)

Next, while I was at it, I also took a crack at rewriting how inventory gets dropped when you die. I took Scarscream's suggested and managed to implement a backpack dropping system, which seems to work. (It was a royal pain to figure out, but it looks solid now.)

Lastly, I fixed up the Sentry exploit and already deployed that to the server, since it was potentially game breaking. That should solve BunnyLove's main issue, where players had too many sentries, making the game too easy. That was never intended, and players were exploiting a bug that allowed them to get unlimited sentries.

Anyways, I'll try to get this release out the door once I'm done more QA testing. Should be good!

Thanks,
Hax

FascistCat

Post by FascistCat » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:59 pm

Great to see you in action. Tyvm!

Zheg

Post by Zheg » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:14 pm

haxmurderer wrote:
Hey haxmurderer, im a good spriter, if you want me to make some sprites, like players carrying the chicken, or for the weapons
PM, i really want to help you with it

also, if its possible, make the players doesnt destroy your boxes, cuz its very annoying, instead, would be great if
every box you place, you can destroy it with 1 hit, and other players like 10 hits

also, would be great if you set +CANPASS for every inventory, cuz when lossing it above the building or something, they fall to the bottom
of the building until touching ground

nerozero
New User

Post by nerozero » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi there. I got a question. Can I make a clone host server for this mod? if yes - what will be your recommendations?
Also will it be possible to save state for players or is there any manual for this mod?

And thank you so much for this really grate mod!

nerozero
New User

Post by nerozero » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:27 am

Find the solution for saving states. command: "authhostname zandroauthtest.oscillicious.com:16666" doesn't work if supplied on running server.
this settings should be in config file.

PS. earlier on there was a lot more building items ,
it will be good if
- stairs will be added,
- half size bricks also,
- doors, back in R03f was better IMHO
- food spoiling timer really annoying, is there any possibility to enable/disable it?

Thanks !

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi guys, I'm nearly ready to start testing a new release, r16, but first I'd like to reply to some of your questions:

zheg: +CANPASS on everything caused crazy high server CPU load in Zandronum 1.2. Haven't tried it with 2.0 yet but that's why it's not on every item. P.S. We miss you in the LCA servers, bud.

nerozero: Yes - that authhostname command has to be in your config and doesn't work if entered in the console at runtime. We should put a note about that on the Zandronum wiki!

Also, re: more blocks and r03f - R03f was a fork of an old version (r03) of my mod, made by someone else. (I think Nash? I forget.) There were tons more construction options in that, but IMHO there's no point in having 50 different block types. I'd prefer to spend my time working on new elements that will directly affect the gameplay, so I've avoided going in that direction. That said, if you want to play a WAD with tons of construction, try to find "doombox". Doombox was Nash's continuation of that fork, and it plays kinda more like Minecraft. I think there used to be a copy of Doombox on BE but I can't find it if it's closed. Maybe PM Nash on the DoomWorld forums?

The focus of my Survivalism WAD is providing a fun survival experience with a focus on combat and exploration, with base construction as a secondary priority.

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:16 am

Time for some updates on what's coming in r16!

The focus of this release is the new "radiation zone" area in the doomz2 map, which is a little bit tricky find but includes a funky new boss fight. The weapons have also been rebalanced, and I reimplemented the reload system so that it's clip based. I also spent a ton of time making boats work well, but I'm not sure if I'm going to actually use them in this release yet.

BTW, hoists are now solid while descending!

Here's a video of how far I got with boats:
phpBB [media]

I don't think I'll end up shipping boats with r16 though. I want to build a river system into the doomz2 map but boats need to be more deeply integrated into the gameplay otherwise this will just be a gimmick.

Anyways, some other completed stuff coming for sure in r16:
  • Rebalanced weapons and rebuilt reloading mechanism
  • Radiation zone for doomz2 map and a new boss fight
  • Secret orbs that permanently boost your max health. Find them!
  • Minor new craftables: Green Armor, Radiation Suits
  • Melee button, works with one-handed weapons like pistols.
  • Just lots more polish in general...
I hope to have a server up for the first round of testing this week. Will keep you guys posted!

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:08 pm

­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:42 am

Hi all - It's been way too long since my last update, so here we go: r17test1 is now live!

>> Download Survivalism r17 for Zandronum 3.0 here <<
(doomz-r17test1.pk3, 18.5 MB)

r17 has two main focuses:
1) Multi-map, multi-server traveling - Players can travel between multiple maps/servers online. It's like hub-maps, but for multiplayer.
2) Fixing bugs that have cropped up since the upgrade to Zandronum 3.0

The big feature here is that I figured out how to let players "travel" between multiple servers relatively seamlessly, so that maps can be "stitched" together. It's sorta like how hub maps work in singleplayer, except for multiplayer, and each player can travel independently. (It's essentially an implementation of "sharding" from MMOs.) When an adventurous player reaches a pathway to another map, they'll automatically connect to another server hosting that map and have their inventory restored, to make it pretty seamless, or at least painless. (How this works probably deserves it's own thread, so maybe I'll elaborate on it later.) In other words, multiple servers and maps can be stitched together to create one giant world.

To test this out, join the server that's up (search for Survivalism in DoomSeeker), and venture past the swamp on the DOOMZ2 map. There's a new tunnel near the back that will take you to a new map, DOOMZ5. You might even see me there! :) (Don't forget to login via the main menu too.)

I'm really excited about this feature because the gameplay implications are as big as persistent inventory was. The map size limitation was one of the biggest constraints on the game design for Survivalism, and if we can now stitch together multiple maps to let players adventure beyond in multiplayer, this unlocks tons of cool possibilities.

Here's the changelog of what's new in r17:
Spoiler: r17 Changelog (Open)
Bugfixes:
* Fixed berries not disappearing after being harvested
* Fixed doors clicking and getting stuck
* Fixed not being able to place floors in the jungle on DoomZ2. (Zandronum 3 is more strict about solid actors and clipping.)
* Updated the Survivalism Mapping Notes
* Day/night cycle is now based on the time that the server starts, and should be somewhat synced between the two servers I have running.
* Fixed the raft in the lava getting stuck and not being able to turn around.
* Temporarily removed the Creeper due to crazy desync in multiplayer. (It was thrusting boxes somehow...)
* Fixed the shotgun glitchiness by removing that silly click-to-pump logic.
* Grappling rope was broken by Zandronum 3.0 too, but I think I've got it working somewhat again now. It's not as good as before, and still likely glitchy, but should be usable.

Features:
* Multi-server traveling between maps! Allows a player to travel between servers running different maps in multiplayer, to create a bigger online world!
* Automatic login - Use the new "Account" menu at the top of the main menu to enter your credentials, and you'll be automatically logged in.
* Added new map - DOOMZ5: Woodland Hollow
* Improved BoxPlacer gun - You can now place boxes in some tight spots where you couldn't before. It's also more reliable when placing boxes on top of other boxes.
* Updated waterfall gfx

Quality of Life Improvements:
* Increased backpack health
* Added a message about your backpack when you die, to reduce rage quitting
* New mouse cursor (sorry, Daisy!)

Boats got horribly broken by Zandronum 3.0, not sure why, so they're not in this release yet. I was probably dependent on some APROP_Waterlevel behaviour that was a bug or something like that. I need to dive in and try to fix it properly but haven't had time or motivation. Maybe now that we have multi-server traveling, boats could be really useful!
I just realized I never posted a proper r16 changelog, so here it is in a nutshell:
Spoiler: r16 changelog (Open)
* Added "Vagrant Colonies" - Monsters can now create bases and form little colonies. If you don't fight them, they'll continue to expand, challenging your existence in the wasteland.
* Added the "Radiation Zone" to DoomZ2 and a new boss battle there
* Added an Ammo Belt (inspired by Complex Doom)
* Better skins for box models
* Looking back at git, apparently I added a HeavyRifle gun, though I can't remember how you get it. :)
* New craftables: Radiation Suits, cotton, green armor
* Added melee key so you can melee with one-handed weapons
* Added permanent health boost bonus orbs - Find them!
* Improved hoist behaviour - Stays solid while descending until it gets stuck on something. Works better as an elevator but can still pick stuff up!
* Loads of other bugfixes
I want to give a special thanks to everyone who's continued playing this mod over the years, and for all your enthusiasm and encouragement! Your great ideas and epic bases are great motivation for me, and I really appreciate them!

Lastly, any feedback or suggestions on this new release would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!
Last edited by haxmurderer on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:05 pm

I made a quick 1 minute video showing off this multi-server/multi-map traveling. Not sure what to call it... Maybe shards?
phpBB [media]

Enjoy!

NEWSDAVIDBR
New User

Post by NEWSDAVIDBR » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Delicious mod.
I NEED MUSHROOM TO LIVE!!!!

yunoguy123

Post by yunoguy123 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:29 am

Damn, awesome job on r17 hax! Maybe ill hop on ;)
Why yes! I did cancel a terrible idea for being terrible!

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:51 pm

Sweet! The only downside I can think of is that players in different servers won’t be able to talk to each other ingame but that’s probably fine since all the kiddos use Discord nowadays AFAIK.

If one wished to host this, would they need to set up multiple servers?

ZandroSkins

TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 pm

The OP still links to r17test1, not test2.

That "sharding" feature is pretty awesome, but the fact that ConsoleCommand is scheduled for removal is a bit worrying. Although the devs have been saying that since 2012 and haven't still haven't done it, so I don't know.
Ænima wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:51 pm
If one wished to host this, would they need to set up multiple servers?
I assume that the server IP is coded directly in ACS, since the system uses ConsoleCommand. So I would imagine that you would not only need multiple servers, but a modified pk3 file. (I can't seem to find these other servers in Doomseeker though, for some reason. How does that work?).

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:23 am

TheMightyHeracross wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 pm
I assume that the server IP is coded directly in ACS, since the system uses ConsoleCommand. So I would imagine that you would not only need multiple servers, but a modified pk3 file.
Murd is smart though. If that’s the way he coded it, then i assume he made some kind of custom CVAR for inputting the ip’s of the other servers.

ZandroSkins

TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:31 am

Ah, I forgot about CVARs, and sure enough that's how it's handled, now that I actually open the file. That's convenient, although I still wonder how he managed to hide the second server from the Doomseeker browser...

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:47 pm

TheMightyHeracross wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:31 am
I still wonder how he managed to hide the second server from the Doomseeker browser...
I'd assume sv_updatemaster false
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

bugreporter45
New User

Post by bugreporter45 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:30 pm

haxmurderer wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:05 pm
Enjoy!
Hello, I encountered some game breaking bugs playing lastest survivalism yesterday. I played local offline, from scratch.

- turnips both seeds and planted disappear. Effectively this destroys turnips. This issue appears at some point mid in game. The seeds were green and planted correctly. Case happened repeatedly on two different locations of default map. After revisiting protected area (near swamp) and wall + sentury + log shielded area (abyss right near spawn, where bridge is expected) they completly disappear without trace. Hemp and trees not affected by this.

- chicken demand lots of seeds, but produce nearly no eggs. This began to happen after I left base few times. Its like the, have no maximum hunger and it continously decreases. This makes chicken also useless as food source because of below.

- not possible to create seeds en masse to feed chicken. Turnips disappear. Hemp generates ton of cotton with no use(fuelling furnace with cotton would be good). Trees produce lots of wood which cant be disposed easily - furnace only accepts one log per click. Let me depict situation: I need to chop 20 trees manually, then I need to feed furnace 100 logs one per click, for this I get one egg (chicken) after significant delay. Turnips are much easier food source, but they start to disappear.

- no way to refuel chainsaw except easy suicide (refuels on bag pickup)

- killing cyberd spawn gives hint and paper that I am level 2 (I was level 18 and 20 when these happened) and can now craft crafting box lol. No futher breakage, so cosmetic and weird.

- this is personal. But I think the two mechs you added (hinge and other) break immersion and totally unneeded. How about plane rope ladder? Fire rope from bow. Climb up. Place ladder on that elevation. Also some sticky block that saves its coordinate and would allow to extend horizontally would be nice. No need for complex mechanisms.. imho.

- some way to get rid of walls of monster houses would be nice. maybe furnace inventory, if you place there, it burns up... would be real solid.

About what I managed in game before giving upto bugs:
- defeated caco
- defeated ariel? (quest)
- defeated chainsaw lava thing (shame huge area unexplorable)
- defeated silicon mine protector
- defeated 3 cyberd regular and their spawn base
- encountered huge cyberd. At these bugs messing with him is bound to constant respawning, so I gave up. Level 22 solo.

I played this dayz in previous releases, then only 3 shotguns were in game. I see tons of work and content you created, so its absolutely amazing. This wad is very unique experience, absolutly gorgeous. But sad are the bugs though.