Regarding the quality of administration

Old stuff gets archived here.
GramGreen
New User

Post by GramGreen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:19 pm

Hey I'm from /vr/ and I thought I'd chime in.

I thought I'd start this topic to discuss the actions of recent administrations in handing out what they believe are fair punishments. Right off the bat, it seems to me that the administration on this forum does a relatively poor job of policing the users to minimize drama and harassment. Instead, it seems almost as if a select few admins actually feed off of the drama and enjoy locking topics and splitting posts only when it fits their agenda.

The fact that it took nine pages to get a reasonable on-topic response by an administrator just shows how poor of a job they're doing. There are actually quite a few examples of garbage posts in that topic that did nothing but drag in others to cause more drama, or generally just dismiss opinions/shit on others. These posts were obviously not split and users were probably not warned. Seriously, why even bother posting things like "TRIGGERED?" or bring unrelated people into the drama? I posted my opinion that there would be no loss if Jenova were to kill himself and I wasn't even warned for doing that. Obviously I don't actually believe this, but I just wanted to see what would happen if I did in fact make such a post.

This whole issue from my understanding stemmed from the administration's inaction to deliver justice in the irc channel #zandronum after some drama involving two problem players in the community. Perhaps the administrators should evaluate why some admins didn't take action until it was brought to attention by a third party? Obviously nobody is perfect, but I think this topic is a perfect example that showcases that the administrators simply don't care unless someone who they dislike posts: https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7443

Read the above topic and it becomes extremely clear that nobody really cares if you have a bunch of people agreeing with you. Why does 4chan drama belong here? If the admins hate drama so much, why didn't they simply lock this topic in the first five minutes instead of posting and adding fuel to the fire? Instead, a Zandronum administrator posts and enables this type of behavior within the first 5 minutes, then Mifu posts "Proofs that it is actually one_two or I am going to be disappoint and will start deploying memes in T-10". Who cares about proof? This topic does nothing but cause problems for both parties involved. It took Fused, the newest administrator to lock the topic. I seriously thought Jenova was just overreacting and acting like a child, which he is, but after reading the forums for all of 30 minutes it became pretty clear to me that his concerns aren't completely baseless.

After that topic was made I actually looked through quite a few user's posting history. It seems that the majority of people in that topic who are advocates for "stop being so sensitive" also do nothing but harass users and blame thin skin when they retaliate. This type of behavior reflects extremely poorly on the staff and gives the impression that they don't care about the users. Instead, I'd like to have a conversation on why they think this type of behavior is acceptable. If they decide that taunting users and trash talk is fine, then that's okay too. There just needs to be definitive rules, not this wishy-washy "we don't do anything until someone asks us" attitude that they seem to have.

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Re: Regarding the quality of administration

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:33 pm

GramGreen wrote:I posted my opinion that there would be no loss if Jenova were to kill himself and I wasn't even warned for doing that. Obviously I don't actually believe this, but I just wanted to see what would happen if I did in fact make such a post.
I did warn you, actually.

Also, yes, the fact that it took nine pages of people yelling back and forth to get a ruling out is stupid. The fact that the topic still hasn't been pruned of the obvious shitposts is even more stupid. The fact that the topic ended up being a mass of he-said-she-said two-years-four-years-eight-years-ago is even more stupid.
But I'd been swamped with work the past couple of days, so I can't really say I was doing any better.

Also, note for other posters: I know it's going to be very tempting to go back to the he-said-she-said bullshit from the last topic, so don't. I will personally pull the trigger on you if you do that.

GramGreen
New User

Post by GramGreen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks Term I didn't mean you obviously! The timing was poor as the warning coincided with my post :P (saw it right after I had to submit it for admin approval since I'm a new user and all).

I just find it odd that there was a topic on this exact issue back in April where a few users were reprimanded and Mifu said that he didn't want drama and will be more strict, then lets shitposts like that Decay topic slide along with Razgriz. Here is the topic in question: https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7212

At what point do you just drop the charade and say "feel free to post whatever you'd like"?

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:59 pm

I was asking Fused to close or clean the thread when it was only 2 or 3 pages, well, I routinely poke him as the only relatively active forum admin I know whenever I see weird shit in the forums :P
I understand that Fused isn't the only admin here, but the important part is that he was like "I don't feel like doing it right now". The response was exactly that. And the rest just ignored it or supported Jenova when he asked to not close anything.

Well, to be fair, it's not really that the quality of administration is poor, it's that they were actually discussing this for few days due to MiFU being very busy with work, from what I know, and I can understand when specific staff members didn't want to decide all by themselves without agreeing with others.
No need to be that radical about it.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tiger
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Tiger » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:08 pm

History just keeps on repeating here....
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

GramGreen
New User

Post by GramGreen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:37 pm

ZZYZX wrote:I was asking Fused to close or clean the thread when it was only 2 or 3 pages, well, I routinely poke him as the only relatively active forum admin I know whenever I see weird shit in the forums :P
I understand that Fused isn't the only admin here, but the important part is that he was like "I don't feel like doing it right now". The response was exactly that. And the rest just ignored it or supported Jenova when he asked to not close anything.

Well, to be fair, it's not really that the quality of administration is poor, it's that they were actually discussing this for few days due to MiFU being very busy with work, from what I know, and I can understand when specific staff members didn't want to decide all by themselves without agreeing with others.
No need to be that radical about it.
Understandable points. My post wasn't simply about the topic with Jenova, though. The topic I linked for instance wasn't closed by Razgriz even though it did nothing but cause crap (in fact, he even joined in). If you want good administrators then they should mostly be on the same page. Fused shouldn't have to come a day later and lock the topic that you shitpost in.

It seems that some admins think stirring shit is fine while others are against it. Why? Who is right? Until these questions are answered this issue will keep cropping up, as it seems to have in the past.

Fused
Contributor

Post by Fused » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:49 pm

The reason why I decided not to lock it but rather ignore your request was not completely because I didn't feel like it. That was just a short answer. It was because it was requested not to do so just yet, and I'm not going against that, as much as I might disagree. You might notice I barely respond to the drama at all. I understand the misconception, and I'll try to get it sorted a bit more.
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:00 pm

Yes I joined and did my job at the end of the topic you posted, well done.

On another hand, topics like the one Jenova made will be locked asap as they cannot persist on the forums without devolving fast. They'll qualify as drama bait and have been proven before to devolve in a similar fashion.

GramGreen
New User

Post by GramGreen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:15 pm

Razgriz wrote:Yes I joined and did my job at the end of the topic you posted, well done.

On another hand, topics like the one Jenova made will be locked asap as they cannot persist on the forums without devolving fast. They'll qualify as drama bait and have been proven before to devolve in a similar fashion.
As a forum moderator, your job should be to prevent needless drama and harassment. This is something that you did not do by leaving the topic unlocked and inducing drama not 5 minutes after it was created. The topic had absolutely no redeeming qualities. The entire purpose of the topic was to bring drama from 4chan into these forums, which you facilitated by both joining in and not locking the topic. Both you and Mifu should have absolutely locked the topic right when you saw it.

I'm not sure if this is because drama is generally accepted here or if there's some bias (known or not). It seems the former is generally not welcome here, which is why in April there was a large discussion about drama and how the moderators would make a larger effort to curb it. However, it seems that these people did not listen to their own advice and just let shitposts keep filling up the forums.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:28 pm

In terms of any topic like Jenova's it'll be locked. Anyone who feels they are being harassed or have a legitimate case should take it to staff on IRC, not the forums.

GramGreen
New User

Post by GramGreen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:29 pm

I am confused, are you saying that the topic was okay to post? I'm not talking about Jenova's topic, I'm talking about the 4chan topic that was posted a few weeks ago about one_two.