#deathmatch midweek DM event suggestions

Discuss, plan, or look back on community events here.
Marcaek
Forum Staff

#deathmatch midweek DM event suggestions

Post by Marcaek » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:20 pm

There's been talk every now and then of getting a small scale DM event going and I think it's about time to try that out. Starting next week I will be hosting a DM session every second wednesday at the least (in addition to starting up more random DM sessions). Could do it more often but who knows, starting small first to test the waters.

In the meatime I'll be taking suggestions for what to run, and also what the best time would be to organize this for. In the future I'll be doing a poll with a small handful of pre-picked suggestions but intend to mix it up from session to session so we dont just play the same wads over and over

Any relevant comments\ideas appreciated.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Re: #deathmatch midweek DM event suggestions

Post by Razgriz » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Dbabrm, Onsl3, Exec, Dbab3, Greenwar 1&3, and probably Dbabrm again.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:09 pm

woop plenty of good ones

I'd like to know what the general opinion of Eon Weapons is as well, I like it a lot for making the shotgun and chaingun so much more relevant + fixing badly balanced dm spawns, but are there people who consciously avoid it?

If so, will said people bother to say so?

Doomkid
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by Doomkid » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:09 am

Accept the fact that dwango21 is decent and use that :^)

Probably with a maplist though cause there's 3 or 4 stinkers I'll happily admit

Brit 10 and 11 are decent but they are pretty overplayed

Oh UDM3 has a good chunk of quality maps as well

Edit: Eon weps are great anyone who disagrees is wrong

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:49 am

I don't think anyone has actually said anything bad about the weapons. Might as well add them since they help improve DM a lot.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:07 am

Eon Weps are fine.

Armitage
Forum Regular
Clan: Exodus
Clan Tag: [E]

Post by Armitage » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:14 am

I agree with Raz along with UDM3 & X :biggrin:

Trying to recall some classics from the days of old Zdaemon which weren't just spam fests for exp based on their small layouts, such as Brit10/11, Forever, 2dmmaps ??? :neutral: :question:

The only common complaint I recall about Eon Weps is some peeps don't like the Lighting Gun considering it cheap :F
"He who hesitates is lost".

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:44 pm

I like the LG, but it doesn't really affect any mapset besides DBAB in DM afaik so it'd a mild issue at most.

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:39 am

Every time I run a DM homeserver and start playing (along with bots, I won't be there alone), people join that server no matter what I play. Basically you don't have to start your own server, there are tons of already set up servers (unless you have bad ping for them or have desperade need for managing the game). I guess you can simply tell people that every wednesday at 1700 zulu (just coming up with the random time) is the best time to play a dm. When you'll be on the server, it will show up and since it will be the only non mm8bit dm server on the list, they'll happily join you without any need of filtering.

I am currently in phase of founding a new, training camp-like clan that would basically do what you are suggesting. But too much work at the moment... next month it will be time...

Eonweapons are must have for me. Or cata, but cata are suitable for for fun games.

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:39 am

My one tiny gripe about EonWeps after a particularly full DM using them: Spawn camping with the OP as fuck fist. Someone with a low ping can just punch the instant the see the tele fog and score bullshit frags. I may have been using an older or a specialized version, but that aside I think the balance is perfect.

This is a bit of a side rant, but I often join a DM server if it's the only active one, but I do sometimes find myself disappointed - Not even so much by the WAD, even if it's a shitty one, but by the DMflags. Jumping, crouching and worst of all by a mile, respawn protection! I propose that any releases of Zandronum from here on out have that crappy flag turned OFF by default when a random Doomer starts their DM server! So many people fresh to the community simply pop up servers with the default flags, and some bullshit feature that no one likes should really not be selected by default. It's a great option for those who want drastically different gameplay, but it brings my piss to a boil far more than things like crouching, even. It really badly breaks the flow of deathmatch.

EDIT: Fixed some spelling
Last edited by Doomkid on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:03 am

Doomkid wrote:This is a bit of a side rant, but I often join a DM server if it's the only active one, but I do sometimes find myself disappointed - Not even so much by the WAD, even if it's a shitty one, but by the DMflags. Jumping, crouching worst of all by a mile, respawn protection! I propose that any releases of Zandronum from here on out have that crappy flag turned OFF by default when a random Doomers starts their DM server! So many people fresh to the community simply pop up servers with the default flags, and some bullshit feature that no one likes should really not be selected by default. It's a great option for those who want drastically different gameplay, but it brings my piss to a boil far more than things like crouching, even. It really badly breaks the flow of deathmatch.
Wow, I didn't know that about the protection. I always leave it there to give the beginners at least a fighting chance, because I don't find spawnkills enjoyable for any player involved in the match.

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:24 am

In my opinion, having it as an option is totally fine, but it's a drastic change from classic deathmatch rules, even more so than jumping and whatnot because it requires you to take a completely different approach to gameplay. People new to the community who start up a server generally don't realize that major difference in classic deathmatch rules is present, yet it entirely changes the pace and approach to the game. I know Zandronum is a newschool port that adds loads of features so it seems strange to single one thing out, but I'd love to see the default setting changed for this one particular flag because of how incredibly different it makes everything about strategizing.

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:59 am

Doomkid wrote:In my opinion, having it as an option is totally fine, but it's a drastic change from classic deathmatch rules, even more so than jumping and whatnot because it requires you to take a completely different approach to gameplay. People new to the community who start up a server generally don't realize that major difference in classic deathmatch rules is present, yet it entirely changes the pace and approach to the game. I know Zandronum is a newschool port that adds loads of features so it seems strange to single one thing out, but I'd love to see the default setting changed for this one particular flag because of how incredibly different it makes everything about strategizing.
We'll.. Even though I started playing doom roughly nine years ago with longer or shorter breaks in a meanwhile and even though I started playing it in the D95 port, I never cared about classic dm rules and honestly I think the Respawn protection alone isn't that much of a stress. You have to take in account other flags like "Players start with shotguns" "Respawn farthest from others" and of course size of the map in relation to the number of players. I can see that the game with many players on small maps (brit10 for an instance) combined with shotgun on spawn is drastically changed with respawn protection. But with bigger maps or no shotguns and ideally combined with farthest from others, protection has almost zero impact on the gameplay. (I realize I am talking about nondefault flags, I just wanted to make my point more obvious).
I understand you don't like the feature so if it was up to you, you won't use it, but in the other hand, you can always take the better out of it and consider it as a handicap feature for thyself. For a good player, it shouldn't be hard to dodge a worse player for a longer period of time or spend more ammo to bring him down as if he got megasphere on him.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:38 pm

You have to take in account other flags like "Players start with shotguns"
Just like to mention this flag has never worked in Deathmatch. Carn coded it to only work in Survival for some reason which was only changed in 3.0

I would agree with disabling spawn protection by default just because the great majority of players dislike it from what I've gathered playing over the years. It's still fine to have around in case you want it turned on though, I'm actually more bothered by having instant respawn turned off by default heh

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Marcaek wrote:
You have to take in account other flags like "Players start with shotguns"
Just like to mention this flag has never worked in Deathmatch. Carn coded it to only work in Survival for some reason which was only changed in 3.0

I would agree with disabling spawn protection by default just because the great majority of players dislike it from what I've gathered playing over the years. It's still fine to have around in case you want it turned on though, I'm actually more bothered by having instant respawn turned off by default heh
Wow, I never noticed :D I would deliberately swear it always worked, but I just tried it and it really doesn't :D Guess I've always tried it only on maps with shotguns placed next to spawn

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:59 pm

doomista wrote: We'll.. Even though I started playing doom roughly nine years ago with longer or shorter breaks in a meanwhile and even though I started playing it in the D95 port, I never cared about classic dm rules and honestly I think the Respawn protection alone isn't that much of a stress. You have to take in account other flags like "Players start with shotguns" "Respawn farthest from others" and of course size of the map in relation to the number of players. I can see that the game with many players on small maps (brit10 for an instance) combined with shotgun on spawn is drastically changed with respawn protection. But with bigger maps or no shotguns and ideally combined with farthest from others, protection has almost zero impact on the gameplay. (I realize I am talking about nondefault flags, I just wanted to make my point more obvious).
I understand you don't like the feature so if it was up to you, you won't use it, but in the other hand, you can always take the better out of it and consider it as a handicap feature for thyself. For a good player, it shouldn't be hard to dodge a worse player for a longer period of time or spend more ammo to bring him down as if he got megasphere on him.

For me (and probably most of the DM community), the key flags that should always be enabled are: Instant Respawn and No Respawn Protection. Everything else really depends on the mappack/mods used.

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:21 am

Catastrophe wrote:
doomista wrote: We'll.. Even though I started playing doom roughly nine years ago with longer or shorter breaks in a meanwhile and even though I started playing it in the D95 port, I never cared about classic dm rules and honestly I think the Respawn protection alone isn't that much of a stress. You have to take in account other flags like "Players start with shotguns" "Respawn farthest from others" and of course size of the map in relation to the number of players. I can see that the game with many players on small maps (brit10 for an instance) combined with shotgun on spawn is drastically changed with respawn protection. But with bigger maps or no shotguns and ideally combined with farthest from others, protection has almost zero impact on the gameplay. (I realize I am talking about nondefault flags, I just wanted to make my point more obvious).

For me (and probably most of the DM community), the key flags that should always be enabled are: Instant Respawn and No Respawn Protection. Everything else really depends on the mappack/mods used.
All right.. I'll keep that in mind. And for the sake of the alzeheimer of mine, I've changed my configs too...