SamsaraHold Resurrection + Enhancer

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Untitled
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - IT'S HAPPENING!

Post by Untitled » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:15 am

mattbratt11 wrote: DL Links didn't work because of the 404 irritation thing.
They should work now - if not, I'll check and fix them.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

mattbratt11
Forum Regular
Clan: Candid Yams
Clan Tag: MMCY

Post by mattbratt11 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:19 am

The links for Samsarahold maps and StrongholdUntitledPatch gave me a 404 error. Please Reupload.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:25 am

They say war never changes.

And they're wrong. Everything's changed.

It begins...

Why didn't I listen...

I asked for this...

It's too late...

It's happening.

And with this, SamsaraHold is released.

I'm officially dropping the 0.15 version title. The reason is that, at this point, samsarahold, as it is, is officially done.

It's been a fun ride, but I don't want this to be the only ride I get to take in my life.

It was fun while it lasted, but I honestly don't have too many more things I want to do with this.
Spoiler: one last message (Open)
Has it really been 2 and half years since I started? Wow. I never thought I would get this far. It's been a long time since I started. Heh, I remember the beginning, when I took 12 versions to get one that actually worked for more than like 1 mission - it was that frickin' broken. I remember that TerminusEst13, even though he didn't say anything, didn't expect it to take off. I remember his surprise when it actually did take off - if only because we had 11 versions crash and burn first, which mean the precedent wasn't great.

Tormentor667 - he's the creator of stronghold, and a very happy man in general - I don't think I've ever heard him swear, or rage, or really respond unreasonably to any amount of comments thrown at him. Wonderful man, even if his standards of graphics-processing are outrageously high sometimes. While it was not without it's flaws, he was the main creator of stronghold, and with it, samsarahold.

So a big shout-out to the entire Stronghold Team, for making Stronghold. FUN FACT: Torr Samaho did network compatibility for Stronghold, so it would work in Skulltag (back when Stronghold was released, it was still called skulltag). Big shoutout to him for making Zandronum function, too.

I'd also like to give a big thank you to TerminusEst13, for creating Samsara. Samsarahold would not have existed without it. I wish you success with Demonsteele, Push, and GLOOME.

Ijon Tichy, back when he was part of the community (of which he's moved on, though it was fun while it lasted), was an interesting man - I quite liked him, though some people found he was a bit too blunt with his words. He was a legendary coder, and whenever I complained about everything blowing up, he could usually point me to what was at fault - usually, it meant "Zandronum is literally dysfunctional", but that's a better diagnosis than "I don't know what this is at all".

So thank you, Ijon Tichy, for helping me get through the impossible parts of samsara's code. I wish you success in whatever you do with your future.

Espio was once one of my most dedicated players. Not so much anymore, but he was instrumental in helping me make stronghold less laggy - he dared to play stronghold at 5 FPS, but rather than rage-quitting, like most people do, he helped me make stronghold functional for the people without NASA supercomputers.

TehVappy50, Dakkon, Tiny Tree, and Bruiserdaemon - these four people are my most dedicated players - for a time, they were almost always on, killing the demons, telling me what parts of stronghold were boring, showing off what parts were unreasonably difficult, and making sure that I only did stupid things (rather than ADVANCED stupid things).

Everyone else who played - these are people who are willing to come in, shoot demons, and play together with others. Even if they were silent, or were inconspicuously named "Player", they came in to have fun, and as a result, everyone got to have fun together.

Thank you, to everyone who played with me. It's been so much fun together.

Thank you so much.
Servers are up now. I hope you've had as much fun as I've had.
Last edited by Untitled on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

Projects:

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:47 pm

...And as much as I hate making everyone download a, what, 75 MB file?

Yeah, there's a post-release version to fix most of the stuff I ended up massively screwing up.

Contains: STUFF

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Espio
Forum Regular

Post by Espio » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Ooh I remember when I wanted to play a fresh character from BJ then discovered Chex's Laz was so broken. Good times :^)
https://youtu.be/qbgpcemxVPA?t=8s "Get the fuck up."
https://www.mediafire.com/?kb7sf1nizgwvqsr My custom music wad for Doom I & II - 166 MEG WARNING

<Dark-Slayer>CorpseGr1nder, get a job
<Konar6>blow*

(09:58:54)<BlueCool>think of all the stuff i couldve done in thoes 5 second
(09:59:05)<BlueCool>1. bake cookies
(09:59:16)<BlueCool>2. eat cookies

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:56 pm

WHY MUST EVERYTHING I TOUCH REQUIRE A "B" RELEASE

Final "B" released.

Fixes:
-Random Weapon Item bug
-Multiple Cyberdemon MK II bugs
-Hopefully STBoss??
-Ammo (HEH)
-Green Armor Bug
Last edited by Untitled on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

Post by bruiserdaemon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Untitled wrote: WHY MUST EVERYTHING I TOUCH REQUIRE A "B" RELEASE

Final "B" released.
Because you have a complicated way to do things, which will end up generating more bugs rather than solving them, as with the green armor mode and the hard mode.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:11 am

bruiserdaemon wrote:
Untitled wrote: WHY MUST EVERYTHING I TOUCH REQUIRE A "B" RELEASE

Final "B" released.
Because you have a complicated way to do things, which will end up generating more bugs rather than solving them, as with the green armor mode and the hard mode.
Yes, but that's because:
-Samsara_ArmorMode
-You want to come up with a better method for Hard Mode yourself?
-Also, literally 4/5 bugs were caused via gameplay issues, not via coding issues (such as ammo in any missions that seriously lacked it, or hard modes being, well, too hard).

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

Post by bruiserdaemon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:00 am

Some hard modes are actually easier than normal mode, due to the earlier spawning of slots 5 and 7... game balancement requires a lot of precision.

bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

Post by bruiserdaemon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:54 am

Now why is the strnghldv1.pk3 blacklisted? Can't open the server because of that.

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:57 pm

The untitledFinalpatch is a 404 for me. Turns out you're missing the "b" at the end of your link on the first post.

Manually browing Best-Ever I was able to find this working link http://static.[bad site]/wads/strong ... finalb.pk3
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

RE: The Return of SamsaraHold

Post by Untitled » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Phoenix7786 wrote: The untitledFinalpatch is a 404 for me. Turns out you're missing the "b" at the end of your link on the first post.

Manually browing Best-Ever I was able to find this working link http://static.[bad site]/wads/strong ... finalb.pk3
Fixed the link in the OP.
(gah, it's been so long)

So, yeah, I thought I was done. But like always, there's more stuff. There always is.

So here it is. The Return of SamsaraHold.

So is SamsaraHold completely back?

I'm not really sure. I think the biggest issue is that, for having 39 stronghold maps, that's just it - there's only really 39 maps. A Stronghold Mappack would be REALLY cool, but A: I don't think there's that many fans, and B: I'm not a good enough mapper to start that (I did a map for push; that's all I've done). I've done a lot of work into prospective wave layouts, but that's all I have.

But to show it's not completely dead, here's a shot of my Work-In-Progress on the next thing for SamsaraHold:
[spoiler]Something seems a bit off about this group...
Image[/spoiler]

Of course, there's the Elephant in the Room: SamsaraHold addon classes. I've been dodging this topic for a while now, because of a few reasons. The first being that I'm almost certainly not doing it.

I'm sorry, but it's not gonna happen, for a multitude of reasons.

First and foremost being that this codebase is such a mess as is, trying to add new classes goes from being hard to being advanced-stupid-levels-of-difficult.

The addon pack has, what, 13 classes? To say the least, it's not a hurdle I can foresee myself getting over.

There's other reasons, but that's the biggest one.

EDIT: Server's not up yet because I'm busy with things like Christmas Trees and stringing up lights; I'll try to host tomorrow if possible.
Last edited by Untitled on Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:46 pm

Welcome back :D

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:39 pm

...AND THE SERVERS ARE UP!

Have fun.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Untitled
Forum Regular

Re: SamsaraHold Resurrection + Monster Randomizer!

Post by Untitled » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:56 pm

It's been a while.

I think we're nearing the end. SamsaraHold had it's time in the spotlight, but I think we're finally getting to the end of it.

Which is why I'm throwing out two things here: One is SamsaraHold Resurrection, which is probably the last version of SamsaraHold.

The other is the SamsaraHold Monster Randomizer.

"But Untitled", you might say, "Won't this ruin balance?!"

And it might well. But A: I've tried my best to not make this completely unbalanced, and B: At this point, I've spent 15 pages arguing about balance, and I'm not about to argue for 15 more pages. I just wanted to do something neat. Something for variety's sake.

So have fun, everyone! The server is UP!

mattbratt11
Forum Regular
Clan: Candid Yams
Clan Tag: MMCY

Post by mattbratt11 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:35 am

Would you plan on working for combined patches for Samsarahold such as the combination of Monster Mixers, Cyantusk's Monster Randomizer (with Donald's Patch), Naraka, Extra Heroes and Complex Doom?
I would be happy if those will be added.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:19 pm

mattbratt11 wrote:Would you plan on working for combined patches for Samsarahold such as the combination of Monster Mixers, Cyantusk's Monster Randomizer (with Donald's Patch), Naraka, Extra Heroes and Complex Doom?
I would be happy if those will be added.
Holy, that is a lot of mod suggestions. Let's work on one thing at a time.

Samsara Monster Mixer: Honestly, the fact that it's already compatible with Samsara makes it much easier to work in. The issue it presents is that stronghold has a bunch of custom monsters - and because those don't get replaced, and I'm very probably not working that many new monsters in, and we have a formula unlikely to work. That and we have issues concerning the strife beacon, but samsarahold_allymarines alleviates that problem greatly.

You never know, though.

Cyantusk's Monster Randomizer: I've...I'm not the biggest fan of it, when conjoined with samsarahold. For starters, I'm certain at least one monster in it is already in stronghold's repository. Also, see: Stronghold's custom monsters, which tend to stick out a bit because some of them are common, but are still custom - stuff like shadows, hellions, and catharsi, which suddenly stick out, due to being more common (since all shadows would be shadows, but not all imps would still be imps).

Also, the SamsaraHold Monster Randomizer (which I chose myself) kind of is designed with the explicit intent of being played with SamsaraHold; these aren't.

Also, if someone else wants to go and combine the two monster mixers, go ahead, but I'm not being that guy.

Naraka: It's dead. Sad truth is that Naraka kind of died. 5 "Villains" in, and it's no longer being worked on. It's also not really played. Also, Naraka is primarily a competitive wad, and SamsaraHold is mostly a cooperative mod, which is kind of...uh, not happening.

Extra Heroes: By FAR the most common request I got back in my dev days, this is one that has a history of, uh, a lot of issues.
-The first is balance. After a few heroes in, the guys who make this kind of stopped trying to balance this. At all. Not that it's important for everyone (it matters less in coop because demons can't complain back about "OMG Overpowered"), but I make a point about caring.
-The second is thoroughness. You might not know this, but SamsaraHold makes use of Punchdrunk Weapons, Strife Beacons, and even Heretic/Hexen Powerups, which means that any hero who doesn't have perfect IWAD compatibility (Strife compat is hard, I hear) doesn't work.
-The third is that I have to modify the monsters. Again. Considering I have over 50 monsters to work through (and over 100 if we include the Monster Randomizer), this takes absolutely forever.
-The fourth is sheer difficulty. This is the big wall. Adding one new hero is a monumental task, because see the previous three points. This pack has thirteen new heroes.

That's not happening any time soon.

Complex Doom: This is a joke, right? For starters, no one's even made Complex Samsara. SamsaraHold, being an extension of samsara itself, is kind of not really compatible in any way whatsoever. And while I'd love to make Complex Samsara (think of the popularity), here's what you have to do, for every single monster in Complex Doom, to make Complex Samsara:
1. Add DamageFactors, mostly for Corvus, but also to make mechanical monsters take double from the Fusion Pistol.
2. Add Zorch Death states, because Chex.
3. Add Duke Death states, because people want Duke to taunt.
4. Add a Duke Mighty Boot death state, because Duke's taunts are special for boots.
5. Add Duke Mighty Boot pain state, because the Duke's boots stun monsters.
6. If necessary (it might not be), add a Duke Boss Wake up taunt, and a boss death taunt. Again, for Duke.
7. Give it a new Ice Death, because HexenIce and DukeIce are both a thing.
8. If it's a higher tier monster, give it +DONTRIP and +DONTMORPH.
(Extra Heroes only)
9. Give it a disintegrate state.
10. Even more damagefactors!
11. Oh, and Caleb death states, too.
12. More things I forget!
Most of this isn't hard, but it's more effort than I'm willing to put in.

EDIT: SamsaraHold Monster Randomizer V2 is out. Fixes: Balance in accordance to spawn rates, Sprite issues.

Drakeman1234

Post by Drakeman1234 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:43 pm

I seem to be having trouble getting this thing to run properly. It loads and all that, but the skybox in the training level seems to be checkerboards.

EDIT: Seems to work now.

Any chance of temporarily disabling Duke's idle quotes during the parts where Carmack starts blathering?

Untitled
Forum Regular

Re: SamsaraHold Resurrection EX

Post by Untitled » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:23 pm

IT'S BACK!

Ok, not really. I'm throwing out one last thing: SamsaraHold EX, which is probably the last version of SamsaraHold.

It's based off my work with the Monster Randomizer. It's less random, though!

So, since #BestEver is now dead, I'm hosting servers in general over on #tspg-painkiller now.

Drakeman1234

Re: SamsaraHold Resurrection + Enhancer

Post by Drakeman1234 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:29 pm

Links in the OP are broken again.