Samuzero's Maps! Interconnected is done!

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Samuzero15tlh
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: <skr>

Samuzero's Maps! Interconnected is done!

Post by Samuzero15tlh » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:37 pm

This thread, its specially to upload any maps what i make :p And you can give a feedback, about any map. Be honest please!

Inter-Connected: A map what I made a week ago, like 2 weeks to finish this up!

Call it maze, madness or whatever you want, but this map makes you go in many rooms in many different ways!

Music: Battle with Gilgamesh (a.k.a Clash on the Big Bridge) - Final Fantasy 5
Actual Version
v3 // Fixes the gameplay flow and its more dark!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9ucnz ... ct3fix.wad
EDIT: Changed link for another stupid bug.

Old Versions
v2 // Detailing of the past version
http://www.mediafire.com/download/z9fzt ... conect.wad

v1 // Base from scratch
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ty7ef ... nect'd.wad
This is a DM map. And i dont know if this is recommended to Duels.
Spoiler: Inter-Connected (Open)
V3:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

V2:

No more new maps for now. But check this post anytime, oh and have fun!
Last edited by Samuzero15tlh on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone wants happiness without pain, but you cant have a rainbow without a rain.

I'm working in the Shotgun Frenzy Plus mod in my free time.
Yes, I have a pet that helps me to build doom projects, the Pack-O-Daemon, ain't it cute?.

Spoiler: My Other zandro stuff! (Open)

Samuzero15tlh

madcat
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: [Sun]

RE: Samuzero's Maps!

Post by madcat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:32 am

Nicely done. I have found only one corridor I would know how to improve.
You did not use any custom texture and still your map looks great - keep it up :)

Samuzero15tlh
Forum Regular

RE: Samuzero's Maps! Interconnected is done!

Post by Samuzero15tlh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:44 am

Finished inter-connected! If i do more maps i will post it there.
Everyone wants happiness without pain, but you cant have a rainbow without a rain.

Yes, I have a pet that helps me to build doom projects, the Pack-O-Daemon, ain't it cute?.

Samuzero15tlh

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:50 am

I'm assuming that map is for Doom 1?

Samuzero15tlh
Forum Regular

Post by Samuzero15tlh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:58 am

Catastrophe wrote: I'm assuming that map is for Doom 1?
Map for Doom 2 idiot :v or the SSG would'nt appear.

Samuzero15tlh

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:02 am

Samuzero15tlh wrote:
Screenshots feature no SSG so it's normal to assume what Catastrophe did.

Also, the map style really reminds me of a "few improvements over a typical Dwango" type of map. Things look just bland.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

VoidedBrain

Post by VoidedBrain » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:04 am

I like it the way it is, but for sheer laughter can I modify it?

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:09 am

Samuzero15tlh wrote:
I don't see any SSG's in the screenshot. Perhaps you were going for a slow boring deathmatch experience similar to Doom 1?

Samuzero15tlh
Forum Regular

Post by Samuzero15tlh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:39 am

VoidedBrain wrote: I like it the way it is, but for sheer laughter can I modify it?
If you want, go ahead. I won't stop you.
Catastrophe wrote:
Samuzero15tlh wrote:
I don't see any SSG's in the screenshot. Perhaps you were going for a slow boring deathmatch experience similar to Doom 1?
Yes it is!, look at the 5th screenshot, in the pc background. If you see with detail you can see the SSG, also in this map there are 2 SSG on the map.}
Ivan wrote: Screenshots feature no SSG so it's normal to assume what Catastrophe did.

Also, the map style really reminds me of a "few improvements over a typical Dwango" type of map. Things look just bland.
Yeah, maybe it looks like that, but i was trying to train my mapping skills on DM. (before this map I was doing some simetrical ones, then i'd just noticed: "this is more for a CTF or Team DM but not a DM", also i went up on the Deathz0r's thead and after that i made this map.)

And in case you're wondering, is not intended to Doom 1 DM. ktnksdie.
Last edited by Samuzero15tlh on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samuzero15tlh

Dusk
Developer

Post by Dusk » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:43 pm

This feels too cramped and complicated for deathmatch. The unfortunate reality is that the layout is a maze so people are just gonna get lost in here. A good deathmatch map consists of a few interconnected larger areas, though here you have a large number of small areas that are connected by corridoors. Maybe it'd do for LMS but it feels too large for that. Though I think you could repurpose it for singleplayer by adding monsters, some flow control and a proper exit.

For future maps I have a few suggestions:
  • Try make larger areas in general. Good deathmatch maps give ample space to allow players to maneuver. Mazes like this don't work too well.
  • Try avoid using so many corridoors. They're not the only way to link areas together. Bridges, ledges and just plain doors to lead from one area to another can help.
  • Get some custom textures to spice up maps. This opens up possibilities for maps that look different from your generic techbase or hellhouse. (though certainly it's possible to make creative use of stock textures for more interesting areas though this can be quite demanding)
  • In general, don't require the player to turn around so much to get from place A to place B. Using larger areas and less 90 degree angles accomplishes this easily.
  • There's a lot of things wrong in here: aside from being a cramped corridoor it's possible to get caught up in the metal bars which means bad news to your flow. You can fix this by adding impassible lines so that the player cannot reach brown midtextures and get caught up. Though I'd just use a single large midtexture instead.
  • Your map is for the most part monotonously lit. Try vary the light level and create darker and brighter areas.
  • Your texture alignment seems to be around in places (though this is nothing in compared to the gameplay issues). Try this thread for tips.
EDIT: Here is a gif demonstration of the whole caught up thing happening in another part of the map.
Samuzero15tlh wrote: Yeah, maybe it looks like that, but i was trying to train my mapping skills on DM. (before this map I was doing some simetrical ones, then i'd just noticed: "this is more for a CTF or Team DM but not a DM", also i went up on the Deathz0r's thead and after that i made this map.)
The fact alone that you realize that symmetric maps aren't for deathmatch already means you have potential. I urge you to keep mapping.
Last edited by Dusk on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samuzero15tlh
Forum Regular

Post by Samuzero15tlh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:00 pm

It was a little joke. On kthnksdie.

Im not offending anyone. And if i did it my bad.

Samuzero15tlh

Samuzero15tlh
Forum Regular

Post by Samuzero15tlh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:12 pm

Dusk wrote: For future maps I have a few suggestions:
  • Try make larger areas in general. Good deathmatch maps give ample space to allow players to maneuver. Mazes like this don't work too well.
  • Try avoid using so many corridoors. They're not the only way to link areas together. Bridges, ledges and just plain doors to lead from one area to another can help.
Bigger places? got it.
Dusk wrote:
  • Get some custom textures to spice up maps. This opens up possibilities for maps that look different from your generic techbase or hellhouse. (though certainly it's possible to make creative use of stock textures for more interesting areas though this can be quite demanding)
  • In general, don't require the player to turn around so much to get from place A to place B. Using larger areas and less 90 degree angles accomplishes this easily.
The main reason about why i did'nt used custom textures its the attempt to be dependless on using more textures, so i planned this to be made without textures. But thats a nice tip.

And make some diagonal corridors looks hard to me but i will do the try.
Dusk wrote:
  • There's a lot of things wrong in here: aside from being a cramped corridoor it's possible to get caught up in the metal bars which means bad news to your flow. You can fix this by adding impassible lines so that the player cannot reach brown midtextures and get caught up. Though I'd just use a single large midtexture instead.
  • Your map is for the most part monotonously lit. Try vary the light level and create darker and brighter areas.
A fix coming right up!
Last edited by Samuzero15tlh on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samuzero15tlh

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Okay well since my posts weren't obvious enough...

ADD MORE SSG'S

I should be able to find a SSG within five seconds in every single spawn without getting lost. Shotgun and chaingun action is very, very boring to a majority of people.
Last edited by Catastrophe on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:51 pm

Catastrophe wrote: Okay well since my posts weren't obvious enough...

ADD MORE SSG'S

I should be able to find a SSG within five seconds in every single spawn without getting lost. Shotgun and chaingun action is very, very boring to a majority of people.
In other words, he means make the map more...

BRUTAL
Last edited by Ivan on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Samuzero15tlh
Forum Regular

Post by Samuzero15tlh » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Catastrophe wrote: Okay well since my posts weren't obvious enough...

ADD MORE SSG'S

ALRIGHT!

I'm on it. :p
A fix for Inter-Connected has been done! Check the first post.
Last edited by Samuzero15tlh on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samuzero15tlh