(more) Realistic ladders

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Thomas

(more) Realistic ladders

Post by Thomas » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:01 pm

For my own project I wanted to make some ladders that are a bit more complicated and realistic than your average fly/deepwater/push style ladder, since these all have some disadvantages. So I decided to make a more complex and complete ladder system that would work more like ladders in other fps'. Since my project is now almost complete. I decided to put the code online in case other people might find this interesting.

These ladders can be climbed by pressing use, and after pressing use, you can navigate by your movement keys. But it also has some other interesting features:
- Jumping off ladders, or jumping from one ladder to another ladder.
- you can only move when you are facing the ladder, you can look away to look around, but you won't be able to move.
- Support for multiple ladders at different heights on 1 line (3d ladders, if you will).
- Traverse around corners to reach another ladder (a la Tomb Raider)
- Works online (you can be with more than 1 player on one ladder).

Update:
I cleaned up the code a bit. Plus I decided to start adding an edge grabbing system. So you can now reach any higher surface by just grabbing and pushing yourself up. The jump and grab system is still limited and I am going to implement some additional features.

I've done a lot of testing on the ladders and they work quite flawlessly (I've done a lot of testing). These ladders are already in use in this mod. Defining a ladder using this is really simple: you only need to define the properties of the ladder.

I included the source, the compiled ACS the resource wad containing the compiled ACS, a necessary DECORATE file and graphics. In addition there is also a demonstration map with a small parcour. This can also be seen in the video.

Here is a video thats shows the system in action:
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
and here is another, this one also shows the grabbing system:
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
Download source, resources and example wad here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=888 ... 5168291606
Last edited by Thomas on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ P0N-3
New User

RE: (more) Realistic ladders

Post by DJ P0N-3 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:12 pm

Absolutely beautiful. I hope somebody will eventually include these ladders in a Half-Life themed map, or something. :P Great job!
a.k.a. Swift_

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:20 pm

I played a map set with some puzzle solving and such, which used these ladders! I loved it very much!
I look forward to when I have time to try these out, it is a truly amazing piece of work, which is very much worth the time :)

Now, I only had a quick glimse at the source, so excuse me if I have overlooked something, but I have a question:
Are we suposed to define the item "HolsterWeapon" ourselves? There is no DECORATE definition, so I am kinda qurious.

Good wind with this project. ;)
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:11 pm

Thanks.
Lollipop wrote: I played a map set with some puzzle solving and such, which used these ladders! I loved it very much!
I look forward to when I have time to try these out, it is a truly amazing piece of work, which is very much worth the time :)

Now, I only had a quick glimse at the source, so excuse me if I have overlooked something, but I have a question:
Are we suposed to define the item "HolsterWeapon" ourselves? There is no DECORATE definition, so I am kinda qurious.

Good wind with this project. ;)
Yes I forget to mention that. Holsterweapon is defined in the example wad. You need some additional DECORATE definitions as well as 2 graphic files to make this run. Everything you need is contained in the example wad, I will add it to the source package later, thanks for noticing.

FateLord
Forum Regular

Post by FateLord » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:26 pm

This seems awesome and I can see NUMEROUS uses for ladders!
<Sean> .broadcast FateLord has a massive, hard wallhack
<Exciter> Global broadcast sent.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:11 pm

I updated the opening post. I added an edge grabbing system. So you now can jump and grab any surface edge which allows you to reach even further and higher platforms. I made a new video demonstrating this. So check that out. I also added the necessary DECORATE and graphic resources so you can test it out with the provided example parcours. I also cleaned up the code a bit. I would kinda like to make some small mapset using this system once this is finished.

Also, maybe this should be moved to resources (in the future)? It is still in development, so maybe it is fine here for now. But technically it is a resource and not a mod.

Doomenator
Forum Regular

Post by Doomenator » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:11 pm

Maybe someone will make Tomb Raider Doom mod? I would love to play like this. :smile:

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:40 pm

Doomenator wrote: Maybe someone will make Tomb Raider Doom mod? I would love to play like this. :smile:
Search for "Doom Raider".
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

Code: Select all

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

Doomenator
Forum Regular

Post by Doomenator » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:35 am

IdeIdoom wrote: Search for "Doom Raider".
The point is that the mod will not only styled like Tomb Raider, but will use realistic ladders system. Nothing similar yet.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:32 am

Doomenator wrote:
IdeIdoom wrote: Search for "Doom Raider".
The point is that the mod will not only styled like Tomb Raider, but will use realistic ladders system. Nothing similar yet.
This was indeed inspired by tomb raider.

I already used this ladder system in my wad Destiny Calls to give a somewhat Tomb raider feel to it by introducing ladder puzzles using this system. I also included rolling boulder traps in it. Though the edge grabbing system was not used yet, but this could all be used to make some kind of completely Tomb Raider inspired wad. that would be pretty cool haha.
Last edited by Thomas on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

CloudFlash
Zandrone

Post by CloudFlash » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:53 am

Awesome! I'm pretty sure Jumpmaze could use a map with realistic ladders, too
https://i.imgflip.com/i5tpe.jpg
*Hey, who wants to hear my solution to the modern world's problems? ^Me! %Me! @Me! #Me! *WELL TOO BAD @Did he just stab himself with this butcher knife? %Looks like it ^Hey, the pizza guy arrived! %Pizza! Yey

titan314
New User

Post by titan314 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:43 am

Nice work, it is really cool!

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:23 am

I did some more work and improved the grabbing system a bit. You can now traverse sideways on edges. If there would be a serious project that will be using this it would motivate me to finish it quicker.