Best-Ever public automated server host

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Jenova
Under Moderation

Best-Ever public automated server host

Post by Jenova » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:03 am

Welcome to the official Best Ever topic!

Links

Wads: http://www.[bad site]/wads/
Static wad directory: http://static.[bad site]/wads/

Admins

Jenova
Water
Metal
Ijon
Watakid

What is BE?

BE is a project that Watermelon and myself have been working on for a bit under a year. BE allows you to host Zandronum servers from irc, instantly, on our dedicated server located in metro New York.

Why make BE?

BE is a solution for developers who want to test out wads, or just players who want to host a stable server without the drawbacks of a home server. Some players cannot host servers from their home, and BE lets them create a unique customized dedicated server instantly, free of charge.

Do you have any rules?

There a few rules you should follow. In order to keep our standards high, server hosts must abide by the following rules:
  • Do not use bots to get your server to the top
    Leave :: [BE] New York :: in the server name at all times (you do not need to add this to the hostname, as it is done automatically)
    Do not abuse RCON. This includes kicking players who are not breaking any rules, or giving yourself unfair advantages when players expect a fair game (an example would be using RCON to cheat in a public AoW game).
    Make sure your hostname is only in English
    Under no circumstances should cheats be on UNLESS the server is private and you know for sure nobody will abuse it.
Also remember that any admin can revoke your access and shut down your servers at any time for any reason. Please do not abuse this service!

How do I host a server?

You'll need to connect to zandronum IRC <irc.zandronum.com> and join the channel #bestever. From there on, please follow the instructions on the website and start your own server.

What kind of hardware do you run on?

We run on an Intel Xeon E3 1245v2, 32GB DDR3 RAM, and a Gbit network connection. Our datacenter is located in metro New York.

Other

If you have any suggestions or feature requests, feel free to post it in this topic. If you want to report instance of server abuse, or griefing, please PM one of the admins or message them on IRC.
Last edited by Jenova on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Best-Ever public automated server host

Post by Combinebobnt » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:20 am

This sounds great and I have two questions. What would you do if someone hosts two very resource intensive wads that suck up a lot of ram/bandwidth, and is there a way to deny people who abuse this service from using it, just incase some nut job ever decides to host servers with 32 bots or some other junk.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:20 am

If you have any questions on the functionality of this, contact Jenova or myself and we will do our best to help you. Jenova is sometimes busy with important stuff, so if you have a trivial question it's best to ask me.

Combinebobnt wrote: This sounds great and I have two questions. What would you do if someone hosts two very resource intensive wads that suck up a lot of ram/bandwidth, and is there a way to deny people who abuse this service from using it, just incase some nut job ever decides to host servers with 32 bots or some other junk.
If they do something like that, they'll be banned from using the servers.
Last edited by Watermelon on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:25 am

Combinebobnt wrote: This sounds great and I have two questions. What would you do if someone hosts two very resource intensive wads that suck up a lot of ram/bandwidth, and is there a way to deny people who abuse this service from using it, just incase some nut job ever decides to host servers with 32 bots or some other junk.
Should be fine to a certain extent, but if it ever gets out of hand the users will be blacklisted.

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Pretty much renders Oblacek obsolete in every way. Really looking forward to this! :D
Cyber: was chased by cowboys
Nautilus: Cowboys? more like a buncha kids chasing a fucking ice cream truck
UnixAssassin wrote: The definition of cheating is not this: Using an aim assisting tool in a game
BEST.EVER.
Teamspeak: WUMBO.CA

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:31 pm

I had an idea to do something like this aswell, I used to have 3 Q3a servers running constantly but stopped them a while ago. Good idea but you can become rather dependant on other peoples needs. Though your connection sounds good.

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:13 pm

one_Two wrote: I had an idea to do something like this aswell, I used to have 3 Q3a servers running constantly but stopped them a while ago. Good idea but you can become rather dependant on other peoples needs. Though your connection sounds good.
We're actually planning on hosting our own set of servers very soon. The reason we released this bot was to hopefully catch some bugs before we put out our own servers.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:01 am

Wow, this sounds pretty cool! this will help out a lot Because my internet is really bad.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:11 am

This is very good to run mod testing servers. I very much support this !
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

-Jes-
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by -Jes- » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:35 am

Ivan wrote: This is very good to run mod testing servers. I very much support this !
Would be better if you could upload temporary files though. I can see a lot of file spam if people just chucked up every other rev for testing.

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:23 am

-Jes- wrote:Would be better if you could upload temporary files though. I can see a lot of file spam if people just chucked up every other rev for testing.
I'm totally with this ^

While this seems like a great thing to test stuff with (whoah cookies4u), it'd reduce unwanted cluttering of the system if this got in.

For example, it seems like a pretty cool idea if we could test some SVN versions of AOW2 on a reliable host (like this), but the clutter after 4 different tests would take up 300 MB for no reason.
Which wouldn't really be cool from our side, would it now.
Last edited by Bloax on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:34 am

I could create an account system which would allow you to pick and choose which wad you'd want deleted (provided you are the one who uploaded the file).

In the meantime, I encourage everyone to not worry about the space, because it'd be nearly impossible to fill the 1TB harddrive with pure WAD/PK3 files.
Last edited by Jenova on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:52 am

Yeah, I think that would be a good idea.

And even though it's unlikely to happen, it'd still create less clutter in the list.
Last edited by Bloax on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Jenova wrote: In the meantime, I encourage everyone to not worry about the space, because it'd be nearly impossible to fill the 1TB harddrive with pure WAD/PK3 files.
INB4 ZDOOMWARS 2.5
Cyber: was chased by cowboys
Nautilus: Cowboys? more like a buncha kids chasing a fucking ice cream truck
UnixAssassin wrote: The definition of cheating is not this: Using an aim assisting tool in a game
BEST.EVER.
Teamspeak: WUMBO.CA

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:16 am

I know a lot of people were asking for Zandronum alpha servers, so in addition to a bunch of other small changes, players will now be able to host Zandronum alpha servers using the engine=zandronum parameter (don't include this if you're just hosting skulltag 98D servers).

We're currently using version 120729-1356.

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Awesome stuff, Jenova. Hell yeah!

capodecima
Banned
Banned: Permanently

Post by capodecima » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:30 pm

i doubt i will use this , but this cool for new players and players which still enjoy Doom :D

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:57 pm

OMG!

TOTAL HARZARDOUS PLACE TO COME!

/inglorify

What if I want to edit the server "I" configured? What do?
Last edited by Guest on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:49 pm

You just kill the server and restart with specified options. Bot also PM's you the RCON of your server just so you can alter stuff that doesn't need a server restart. (Such as switching wads)
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:12 am

I've implemented a script to automatically kill servers which use more than 30% of the available CPU. This should hopefully stop people who attempt to spam stuff like nuts.wad or the like.

Edit: We've also upgraded to the latest Zandronum alpha build.
Last edited by Jenova on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.