Zandronum 2.1.2

News and events are posted here. Threads also show up in the Latest News section.
Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Zandronum 2.1.2

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:42 pm

We are happy to announce the release of Zandronum 2.1.2!

This is a small bugfix release that fixes two problems introduced in 2.1: Player movement jitter and a sync error in the HUD health display. The fix for the latter was already used by some server hosts for a while, but the former turned out to be very difficult to track down. Nevertheless, with the final fix, not only the player movement should be as smooth as in 2.0 again, but also the weapon sync issues introduced by the tic buffer should be completely gone now.

Note: 2.1.1 was never officially announced. It turned out the jitter fix it contained was still incomplete, so we decided to move to 2.1.2 to avoid confusion with the 2.1.1 binaries that were already floating around.

Here is the full changelog since 2.1
[spoiler]

Code: Select all

-----

-	- Fixed the remaining jitter and weapon sync problems caused by the client movement buffer. [Torr Samaho]

-----

+	- The client movement buffer now can be toggled with the new CVAR sv_useticbuffer (default true). [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed jittery player movement caused by the client movement buffer. [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: Clients wrongly predicted the health of the consoleplayer. [Edward-san, Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: clients were not updated about the successful A_CustomPunch lifesteal attacks from a player. [Edward-san]
-	- Fixed: clients were not updated about the successful A_Saw lifesteal attacks from a player. [Edward-san]
[/spoiler]

Binaries are available from our downloads page, as per usual.

Please remember that minor version bumps do not include major changes to the ZDoom base.

Matiu
Posts a lot
Clan: FS (ZD)
Clan Tag: Your Pal

RE: Zandronum 2.1.2

Post by Matiu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:09 am

this Zandronum version will be better than other versions. i will be test it.
Current FS member (ZDaemon), former GOH member, former SNS Staff and former ZDaemon Discord Admin.
Youtube Channel | Matiu's Purple World | Instagram | Twitter

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:17 am

Thank you so much

FascistCat

Post by FascistCat » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:54 pm

The smoothness in unbelievable. Even with a 200ms ping connection it's just as smooth as single player.

Very thank you.

*UAC* Odine
New User

Post by *UAC* Odine » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Very well done team, thank you so much for the hard work
Rip & Tear!

Armour

Post by Armour » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:34 pm

Great update :biggrin:

Leonard
Developer

Post by Leonard » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:07 pm

I would like to point out that the binaries on the downloads page are using the wrong changeset.

These binaries have "150718-1029" as revision string yet when building from this changeset, I get "150718-0948".
ZCC uses this changeset and it seems Best-Ever does too.
This gave me a connection error on some servers and proves the need for this.
[spoiler]

<@WaTaKiD> punish me
* Seanphone gets his belt out
<+Seanphone> all right WaTaKiD bend over

<Kokiri> capo whos your fav pony?
<capo> i like them all

cobalt changes topic to 'ZDoom 2.6.1 progress: at r3771, 23 revisions left (98% complete)'
<edward-san> omg
<edward-san> almost finished!!!
<Sean> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<Sean> Plot twist: This is the status of Half-Life 3.
<Dusk> plot twist: the percentage count suddenly begins to decline instead
<Sean> Torr makes a forum post "We're going back to 2.5.0"
<Dusk> and we do so incrementally
[/spoiler]

Dusk
Developer

Post by Dusk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:28 pm

96d0d01 is the correct changeset.

Leonard
Developer

Post by Leonard » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:32 pm

Dusk wrote: 96d0d01 is the correct changeset.
I'm confused, the "string version" change was always used as the correct changeset since at least 2.0, why would that suddenly change now?
[spoiler]

<@WaTaKiD> punish me
* Seanphone gets his belt out
<+Seanphone> all right WaTaKiD bend over

<Kokiri> capo whos your fav pony?
<capo> i like them all

cobalt changes topic to 'ZDoom 2.6.1 progress: at r3771, 23 revisions left (98% complete)'
<edward-san> omg
<edward-san> almost finished!!!
<Sean> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<Sean> Plot twist: This is the status of Half-Life 3.
<Dusk> plot twist: the percentage count suddenly begins to decline instead
<Sean> Torr makes a forum post "We're going back to 2.5.0"
<Dusk> and we do so incrementally
[/spoiler]

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:49 pm

Leonard wrote:
Dusk wrote: 96d0d01 is the correct changeset.
I'm confused, the "string version" change was always used as the correct changeset since at least 2.0, why would that suddenly change now?
I don't know but between this and having multiple repositories for the same project that seem to get switched out from time to time, I've just given up.

dxeel
Registered just to make one post

Post by dxeel » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:42 pm

I'll be honest. I used to be more active on Zandronum ( in 2014 ) after I finished my rig, I burned most of me free time on triple AAA titles and games I didn't get to play, since I had a laptop bought in 2010 with an integrated video card of 128 mb of video ram. After I finished most of my backlog, I kept coming back to doom, but never expected this. Never expecting to find Zandronum ( I found out about you guys last year, I knew prior to this about Skulltag but I read that it died) and now here we are. Today. A new update to a game that was released in 1993, and you, the devs + all the modders still keep this game alive. I can't begin to even thank you guys enough for this. Doom for me has always been a prime FPS game, probably one of the best ever made, who knows? And I tried to log in today only to find you released an update, seriously? If I knew where you guys live I would buy you a week's supply of beer of cigarettes, just because you helped me and so many other iD Doom freaks to remain in touch to the single most important FPS game ever to be made. I only created a forum account to thank you personally, dear Zandronum team, for all the effort you poured into connecting us all together into this amazing and polarizing game together. Thank you so much. You guys deserve iD jobs or at least special medals handed by them. Great job and keep up the astounding work. Hails from Eastern Europe - Romania.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:26 pm

dxeel wrote: I'll be honest. I used to be more active on Zandronum ( in 2014 ) after I finished my rig, I burned most of me free time on triple AAA titles and games I didn't get to play, since I had a laptop bought in 2010 with an integrated video card of 128 mb of video ram. After I finished most of my backlog, I kept coming back to doom, but never expected this. Never expecting to find Zandronum ( I found out about you guys last year, I knew prior to this about Skulltag but I read that it died) and now here we are. Today. A new update to a game that was released in 1993, and you, the devs + all the modders still keep this game alive. I can't begin to even thank you guys enough for this. Doom for me has always been a prime FPS game, probably one of the best ever made, who knows? And I tried to log in today only to find you released an update, seriously? If I knew where you guys live I would buy you a week's supply of beer of cigarettes, just because you helped me and so many other iD Doom freaks to remain in touch to the single most important FPS game ever to be made. I only created a forum account to thank you personally, dear Zandronum team, for all the effort you poured into connecting us all together into this amazing and polarizing game together. Thank you so much. You guys deserve iD jobs or at least special medals handed by them. Great job and keep up the astounding work. Hails from Eastern Europe - Romania.

And yes, great job dev team. And everyone who tested (I wasn't one of them).
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Zanieon
Forum Regular

Post by Zanieon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:44 pm

This is deep, i liked it.

Zandronum Dev Team is even more dedicated than Randy and the other devs on ZDoom imo, mainly because ZDoom is primary bugfixes and literally new feature additions to Doom engine, while Zandronum have to catch up all that to not stay behind and fall apart in the modding scene also on multiplayer activity.

Seiat

Post by Seiat » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:02 am

Awesome! That was pretty quick. I give you devs the Nod of Respect™
*********************** PROJECTS ************************
************ In Progress ---> Doom 2 Tower Defense ************
**************** On Hold ---> Internal Conflict ****************

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:07 am

Revilution wrote: This is deep, i liked it.

Zandronum Dev Team is even more dedicated than Randy and the other devs on ZDoom imo, mainly because ZDoom is primary bugfixes and literally new feature additions to Doom engine, while Zandronum have to catch up all that to not stay behind and fall apart in the modding scene also on multiplayer activity.
Yeah that's right, the day when Zandronum will catch up Zdoom it will attract a lot of people from other communities because playing with other is always more funny than playing alone.

jac0b
New User

Post by jac0b » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:39 pm

I'm an old school DOOMer who dialed into local BBS systems in the 90's to play duel DM, DM, and Dog Tag. I went on from DOOM to play Quake I and Quake II, then fell away from gaming for over 10 years.

In 2012 I discovered ZDaemon and to my surprise, DOOM was very playable online even with players from across the globe. This was very exciting, but as I continued to play, I began to take notice of the hiccups that players struggle with. The struggle has always seemed to, for competitive players, revolve around network interactions. In the 90's, we often played in game rooms set at TIC2 which resulted in a smooth playing game but a seemingly "choppier" perspective. For duels, TIC1 was doable and more closely reflected the feeling of a single player game. Network disturbances were however more noticeable when playing games at TIC1. Today, it seems that the quality of "net code" and features like unlagged matter so much.

My curiosity about how different ports behave in this manner led me to check out other ports I had heard of including Odamex and Zandronum. In trying Zandronum at that time (1.x) I was a bit disappointed in the "feel" of network interactions within duel DM mode and eventually fell back into my comfort zone on ZD. Other players had remarked to me how they loved Zan, but that the netcode could be improved. Rumor had it that this was in the works and that a new project may even come out of it. I later heard that Zandronum 2.0 was released and that significant updates had been done to the netcode. I gave it a try and immediately felt a big difference from the feeling I recalled from 1.x.

Specifically, I feel as though I am able to return to the old school method of aiming involving aiming directly at the target rather than at a calculated shadow of the target. I have also noticed that I am able to better compete under conditions of higher ping and have tried the new "ping" network mode setting when playing capture the flag, COOP, and survival games on servers hosted overseas. I find this exciting because now myself and others are able to play satisfying games with different player populations, more interesting than being limited to servers nearby!

Zandronum seems to be by far and away the most actively developed DOOM port around. Thank you for all of your creativity and countless hours of hard work!
Last edited by jac0b on Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otaru1921
New User

Post by otaru1921 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:43 am

I am having tons of Rubberbanding every once in a while on a Server I didn't have rubberbanding before 2.1.2

Don't know why that is happening ;[.

Edward-san
Developer

Post by Edward-san » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:12 am

otaru1921 wrote: I am having tons of Rubberbanding every once in a while on a Server I didn't have rubberbanding before 2.1.2

Can you elaborate better on this rubberbanding? Which server are you talking about?

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Edward-san wrote:
otaru1921 wrote: I am having tons of Rubberbanding every once in a while on a Server I didn't have rubberbanding before 2.1.2

Can you elaborate better on this rubberbanding? Which server are you talking about?
It's when you lag and the ticbuffer compensates

otaru1921 do you mean you're rubberbanding? Or other people are? Are you sure it's not your connection, or some others connection? Are you also sure it's not the server you're using?

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:05 pm

I have noticed that I no longer see a message when I pick up a weapon.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."