Zandronum 2.1

News and events are posted here. Threads also show up in the Latest News section.
Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Zandronum 2.1

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:02 pm

We are happy to announce the release of Zandronum 2.1!

This is a bugfix release that streamlines the recent feature release 2.0. It fixes all major reported issues and a bunch of minor things.

Here is the full changelog since 2.0
[spoiler]

Code: Select all

+	- The Zandronum server is now compatible with the Raspberry Pi (based on selected ZDoom backports), so far only tested with a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. [Torr Samaho]
+	- Added support for ACS script numbers higher than 999. This is intended to increase compatibility with mods that worked in 1.3, but stopped working with 2.0. [Torr Samaho]
+	- The server can now broadcast dehacked patches loaded with -deh and -bex to server browsers. [Dusk]
+	- Added Catastrophe's CCMD 'ifspectator' that executes its argument only if the consoleplayer is a spectator. [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: Too high volume parameters to A_PlaySound and friends caused the volume to overflow online. [Dusk]
-	- Fixed: Friendly fire obituaries did not appear online in competitive gamemodes. [Dusk]
-	- Hopefully fixed a potential weapon switch induced client-side crash. [Dusk]
-	- Fixed: Amount of total monsters went out of count upon map resets. [Dusk]
-	- Fixed: When a player scored a point in CTF, Skulltag or Possession, the scoreboard in the Windows server console was not updated properly. [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: -optfile would eat CCMD calls (such as +exec) and treat them and their arguments as wads to include as optional. [Dusk]
-	- Fixed: the 'light fast strobe in sync' sector special would visually desync while playing a demo. [Edward-san]
-	- Fixed: A_LookEx desynced completely online. [Dusk, Edward-san]
-	- Fixed possible health desync issues in some situations. [Edward-san]
-	- Fixed: Trying to open a corrupt zip archive crashed the game (backported from ZDoom). [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: Players were kicked for excessive movement commands instead of simply ignoring the excessive commands. [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: clients were not informed of some actor flag modifications with A_ChangeFlag. [Edward-san]
-	- Fixed: Trying to record client demos on some mods, e.g. duel32c_st.pk3, caused the client to error out. [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: A_FadeIn and A_FadeOut did not work for actors which don't have a network id. [Dusk, Edward-san]
-	- Fixed: The client could not handle the display of the morphed mugshot in the status bar. [Edward-san]
-	- Fixed: clients lost some actor flag modifications done in a previous map after a changemap map change. [Edward-san]
-	- Fixed: Players would be awarded damage dealt to non-COUNTKILL monsters if sv_awarddamageinsteadkills was set. [Dusk]
-	- Fixed: Using alternative track orders with music formats with multiple tracks did not work online. [Dusk]
-	- Fixed: "gl_cachenodes 1" could crash the server. [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: A map change in CTF online could crash the game. [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: Blocked sliding polyobjects were not handled properly online. [Edward-san]
-	- Fixed: The delayed stairs building movers were not handled properly online. [Edward-san]
-	- Fixed: Some dehacked weapon attack sounds could not work. [Edward-san]
-	- Fixed some weapon sync issues related to the client movement buffer. [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: Even when using a random map rotation, the map a server loads on start was not randomized (ported from Konar6's kpatch). [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: sv_forcegldefaults 1 stopped working properly for the gl clients. [Edward-san]
!	- Make the crash log unique for SDL platforms by appending the timestamp to the file name. [Edward-san, Dusk]
!	- The Linux executables now will be able to generate a core dump in case a crash happens. [Edward-san]
!	- Railgun attacks no longer always pierce armor. The Skulltag railgun in skulltag_actors.pk3 continues to do so, however, through use of +PIERCEARMOR. [Dusk]
!	- A map is now marked as used when entered instead of when exited in the rotation list. [Leonard, Torr Samaho]
[/spoiler]

Binaries are available from our downloads page, as per usual.

Please remember that minor version bumps do not include major changes to the ZDoom base.

Edward-san
Developer

RE: Zandronum 2.1

Post by Edward-san » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:33 pm

Kudos to all the testers who helped accomplish this. :cool:
Last edited by Edward-san on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexMax
Forum Regular

Post by AlexMax » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:05 pm

Fantastic.

By the way, for those of you building straight out of the repos, I believe the correct revision is (since 2.1 hasn't been tagged yet):

https://bitbucket.org/Torr_Samaho/zandr ... 122077ab3a
Last edited by AlexMax on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.

NecroticBlossoms
New User

Post by NecroticBlossoms » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:38 am

I've tried to download the file but my antivirus blocked its link, claiming it contains "Win32:Evo-gen[susp]".

Edit: Here's the analysis: https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/60b24 ... 435197266/
Last edited by NecroticBlossoms on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:10 am

I'm getting the same irritating thing with Avast. It was extremely annoying compiling the installer because it would keep complaining. Sadly it's a false positive since all the others say its fine.

AlexMax
Forum Regular

Post by AlexMax » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:25 am

You're correct about the anti-virus false positive. [Susp] is short for "suspected", not full proof.

Unfortunately, I've had to revert my FUNCRUSHER servers to 2.0, as 2.1 exhibits some pretty horrific health desyncs and added lattency.
Last edited by AlexMax on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:23 am

AlexMax wrote: Unfortunately, I've had to revert my FUNCRUSHER servers to 2.0, as 2.1 exhibits some pretty horrific health desyncs and added lattency.
Apparently, except for our small team of internal testers, everybody else has, once again, ignored the beta we released to find such errors. If nobody ever tests the beta under real world conditions, things like this are inevitable.

So why is nobody testing the betas under real world conditions? From what I heard, part of the competitive community was urging us to make a new release, yet those people couldn't be bothered to test that the new version works actually works for them?

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:12 am

The only real way to effectively test the builds is to have major server clusters switch over as soon as one is released, that way every mod gets tested. Sadly, that never happens.

Vincent(PDP)
Forum Regular
Clan: My DOOM site
Clan Tag: <MDS>

Post by Vincent(PDP) » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:47 am

Torr Samaho wrote:

+	- Added support for ACS script numbers higher than 999. This is intended to increase compatibility with mods that worked in 1.3, but stopped working with 2.0. [Torr Samaho]
Does this mean that we can start using higher script numbers and that ACC will compile them too, or will it be just like 1.3 with the named scripts bug?

Anyways, great work devs! :toot:
Last edited by Vincent(PDP) on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
//Visual Vincent ( Vincent (PDP) )
- My DOOM site Team

My projects:
Spoiler: (Open)
Doom Writer
Escape From The Laboratory - Done
Escape From The Laboratory Part 2
Parkskolan Zombie Horde Map (ZM10) - Done
In game Admin Commands for Zandronum.
Achievement Mod for Zandronum
Stats mod

Blzut3
Developer

Post by Blzut3 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:10 am

Vincent(PDP) wrote: Does this mean that we can start using higher script numbers and that ACC will compile them too, or will it be just like 1.3 with the named scripts bug?
I believe it's for compatibility with broken mods and is otherwise "use at your own risk".
Catastrophe wrote: The only real way to effectively test the builds is to have major server clusters switch over as soon as one is released, that way every mod gets tested. Sadly, that never happens.
And if the major server clusters are running the build full time, why bother flagging it beta?
Last edited by Blzut3 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:45 am

Blzut3 wrote:
Catastrophe wrote: The only real way to effectively test the builds is to have major server clusters switch over as soon as one is released, that way every mod gets tested. Sadly, that never happens.
And if the major server clusters are running the build full time, why bother flagging it beta?
I don't think anyone would care since Doomseeker / Doomexplorer can easily download them now.

Edward-san
Developer

Post by Edward-san » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:19 pm

The health desync issue should be fixed with this changeset. The server admins are invited to build zandronum with that changeset and test if the health desync is fixed for real.

[edit]Actually, the server admins must build the 2.1 changeset with a dirty working directory containing the changes in the mentioned changeset, otherwise servers wouldn't be reachable by 2.1 clients.
Last edited by Edward-san on Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:15 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:

-	- Fixed: A_FadeIn and A_FadeOut did not work for actors which don't have a network id. [Dusk, Edward-san]
Whoah, that explains a lot of the buttpain I've had with silly blood effects.
Last edited by Bloax on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laggy Blazko
Forum Regular

Post by Laggy Blazko » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:13 pm

Edward-san wrote: The health desync issue should be fixed with this changeset. The server admins are invited to build zandronum with that changeset and test if the health desync is fixed for real.

[edit]Actually, the server admins must build the 2.1 changeset with a dirty working directory containing the changes in the mentioned changeset, otherwise servers wouldn't be reachable by 2.1 clients.
I guess this makes home servers difficult to set up, then? Or it's just for big clusters?
I mean, I've never messed with Zandronum's source code (or any big source code for that matter) so I wouldn't know where to start. o.o
Why is finding the user CP so hard?

Edward-san
Developer

Post by Edward-san » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:26 pm

Laggy Blazko wrote: I guess this makes home servers difficult to set up, then? Or it's just for big clusters?
I mean, I've never messed with Zandronum's source code (or any big source code for that matter) so I wouldn't know where to start. o.o
Officially, you can't do much but compile that by following the instructions on the wiki.

Otherwise, it's possible that one of the testers can do that build for you, such that home servers are still possible.

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Hopping next time more people will test the beta then we could avoid this problem.
A solution could be to add a "beta version" folder for Doom Seeker, IDE, Best Ever, and all the stuff that deal with Zandronum's online server.
Then we could play the both version without having to go in options each time.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:32 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
AlexMax wrote: Unfortunately, I've had to revert my FUNCRUSHER servers to 2.0, as 2.1 exhibits some pretty horrific health desyncs and added lattency.
Apparently, except for our small team of internal testers, everybody else has, once again, ignored the beta we released to find such errors. If nobody ever tests the beta under real world conditions, things like this are inevitable.

So why is nobody testing the betas under real world conditions? From what I heard, part of the competitive community was urging us to make a new release, yet those people couldn't be bothered to test that the new version works actually works for them?
Though in terms of the health desync that's something the testers could have found easily...I imagined there would have been a basic list of things to checked before release, like running around and seeing if chat/pickups/hud things look correct. And it's not native to the competitive scene either, it just happened that we noticed first, everyone was affected.

In any case..last night I had a quick chat with MiFu about a way that could enable easier testing without people having to do too much setting up.

2015-06-25  00:01:56  <Razgriz-->	what do you think of having a tspg test type server
2015-06-25  00:02:12  <MiFU|Work>	hmm
2015-06-25  00:02:14  <Razgriz-->	having people use the bot to throw up zan builts to be tested before release
2015-06-25  00:02:21  <MiFU|Work>	id like to do that
2015-06-25  00:02:33  <MiFU|Work>	though
It would help with the headache of having to set up individualized servers for each thing, while people can sit in a testing channel, and when a build comes up, use the bot to throw up the wads of their choice to be tested right there using the .host command. Have several people yell at other people to help test, and you probably have a decent amount of people ready to test since they can just copy over their .host command easily and join a server.

The problem is MiFu has problems, so maybe someone can step up and give if a try, Jenova or some other persons who may be interested.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

WaTaKiD
Master Server Admin

Post by WaTaKiD » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:41 pm

Edward-san wrote:
Laggy Blazko wrote: I guess this makes home servers difficult to set up, then? Or it's just for big clusters?
Officially, you can't do much but compile that by following the instructions on the wiki.

Otherwise, it's possible that one of the testers can do that build for you, such that home servers are still possible.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mk8zp8w8bayrq ... s.zip?dl=0

this windows build has the health desync fix and is also compatible with normal 2.1 servers

Laggy Blazko
Forum Regular

Post by Laggy Blazko » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:25 pm

Neat. Thanks!
Why is finding the user CP so hard?

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:35 pm

I thought about how to prevent such glaring bugs in the future. By now, it's completely obvious that asking people to test simply doesn't work. Also forcing everybody at once to test by releasing something flagged as stable that didn't receive sufficient testing is not really an option.

What I could imagine to work is the following: As before, we release an official beta build before the stable version. But we do not release the stable version until the corresponding beta has received at least "insert reasonable amount here" hours of real playtime with at least "insert reasonable amount here" players on servers hosted by the big clusters. Gametime could be confirmed for instance by having the players / testers submit demos of them playing on a beta server. We could have a counter that shows how many playtime hours are still missing before the stable will be released. Hopefully, this creates sufficient incentive for players to test the beta.