Metal Slug Doom

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
RottKing
New User

Metal Slug Doom

Post by RottKing » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:54 am

So after years of barely working on this project and keeping it to myself, I've decided to finally release a beta of the thing so people can enjoy it or something. This mod aims to imitate the Metal Slug series of games, and I'll give a fancy BULLETPOINT rundown of some of the features:
  • Weapons from Metal Slug in Doom !! (NOT ALL THOUGH CAUSE IM A TWAT)
  • You can throw grenades at all times!!
  • One-hit deaths!!
  • No hitscan enemies!
  • No damage from hurty floors!!
  • Doom weapon pick-ups and power-ups replaced with Prisoners of War!!
  • Zombies have been replaced with soldiers!!
  • Coop compatible!!
  • You can eat a boiga!!
and since this mod is still pretty incomplete, I'll also give a fancy bullet point rundown on what needs to be done still:
  • Maybe add the super grenade and shotgun weapons?!?
  • Possibly add the knife attack that only triggers close to an enemy??
  • Make the lasergun not look like a pile of dogshit
  • Add the powered-up versions of the weapons
  • Add the fat versions of the weapons
  • Add fat mode. WHOAAOO big!!!
  • Add a lives system for single player
  • Maybe replace more enemies with metal slug enemies
  • Be able to select from the usual Metal Slug characters
  • Actually pilot a Metal Slug tank?!!?
EDIT: whoops I forgot i already made the lasergun not look like dogshit in another version, redownload if you want non-dogshit looking lasergun!!

I don't know if I'll ever get around to doing these things but I figured I might as well list them. Credits for the rifle sprite go to Scuba Steve. Now enjoy some gameplay footage and the download link:

download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kq69epn51v85a ... i.zip?dl=0
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
Last edited by RottKing on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armitage
Forum Regular
Clan: Exodus
Clan Tag: [E]

RE: Metal Slug Doom

Post by Armitage » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:13 am

Holy shit I remember this from that old alpha test video from 5 years ago! xD

Good job on finally releasing it Pordontae =P
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag

RottKing
New User

Post by RottKing » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:18 am

Haha yeah, I feel bad about waiting so long to release it, although it's a bit convenient because before the recent zand 2.0 release, a few things didn't work with it.

Strych6
Forum Regular

Post by Strych6 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:03 am

Thats a cool idea. Though if you want to replicate the joys and wonders at the laundromat, there should be a highscore list

Beed28
New User

Post by Beed28 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Hahahah, I was in the middle making a very similar mod, with one hit deaths, no hitscan monsters, and no damaging floors, except it was Contra themed instead of Metal Slug. :smile:

Laggy Blazko
Forum Regular

Post by Laggy Blazko » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:36 pm

Good to see more arcadeish mods. And explosions. And burgers. Thank you! *salutes*
I hope we get to pilot a tank since it's Metal Slug, after all.

@Beed: Please don't stop. :D

EDIT: Is it OK to upload this to Best-Ever?
Last edited by Laggy Blazko on Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why is finding the user CP so hard?

Tsukiyomaru0

Post by Tsukiyomaru0 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Just one thing... Instead of One Hit Deaths why don't you add three options instead?
- Arcade: 3 lives, one hit kill, get more lives by accumulating points.
- Survival: 1 life, one hit kill, just survive.
- Advanced: 1 life, health bar, just like the NGPC and GBA games.

Angel_Neko_X
Forum Regular

Post by Angel_Neko_X » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:41 pm

Tsukiyomaru0 wrote: Just one thing... Instead of One Hit Deaths why don't you add three options instead?
- Arcade: 3 lives, one hit kill, get more lives by accumulating points.
- Survival: 1 life, one hit kill, just survive.
- Advanced: 1 life, health bar, just like the NGPC and GBA games.
Those are impossible for Zandronum, only Zdoom can support those options
"Swan Fox doesn't like hurting other people, I do!" -Diane "Elliot" McModua (Hotline U.A.C)

Laggy Blazko
Forum Regular

Post by Laggy Blazko » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:53 pm

They are possible, actually. Custom CVARs have been in Zandronum for a while. And, unlike Zdoom AFAIK, we have SetPlayerLivesLeft() and
GetPlayerLivesLeft ().
Why is finding the user CP so hard?

Zanieon
Forum Regular

Post by Zanieon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Yeah, i was going use Master of Puppets as a example that doesn't even need the Survival gametype to make a lives system properly and therefore ZDoom is what would be impossible since it doesn't even have a Survival gametype nor any lives system
Last edited by Zanieon on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RottKing
New User

Post by RottKing » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:34 pm

Laggy Blazko wrote: EDIT: Is it OK to upload this to Best-Ever?
Yeah go for it. Also yeah I edited my first post, but I forgot I already made the lasergun look better in another test version I did, but forgot about it. So I re-implemented it into this version. Redownload I guess if you want better looking lasergun!! or don't!! it's ok!!!
Last edited by RottKing on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lord of darkness the brony
New User

Post by lord of darkness the brony » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:19 pm

Beed28 wrote: Hahahah, I was in the middle making a very similar mod, with one hit deaths, no hitscan monsters, and no damaging floors, except it was Contra themed instead of Metal Slug. :smile:
CONTRA!!!
watch this when you feel bad or down
http://youtu.be/W29uMcp5BWU

*UAC* Odine
New User

Post by *UAC* Odine » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:32 pm

Wow it looks really fun! congrats!
Now a question comes to my mind... Cybies dies with 1 hit too? :P
Rip & Tear!

IMX
New User

Post by IMX » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:05 am

In my opinion, the grenade limit should go. If my memory serves me right, you could carry as much grenades as you could thru the level (even on Story mode in the console versions they let you keep ALL your grenades thru all the missions which was pretty cool)

Also, do you mind if I develop a small addon for this? Mainly custom bits like intermission music and stuff.

RottKing
New User

Post by RottKing » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Yeah the grenade limit is something I overlooked, I'll raise the limit to 50 or 99. As for the add-on, i'm ok with it as long as it's a separate wad and not something included in the main metal slug doom wad. Just because I'd rather not have the mod overwrite level wad intermission music and graphics and stuff.

Armitage
Forum Regular
Clan: Exodus
Clan Tag: [E]

Post by Armitage » Mon May 18, 2015 10:31 pm

Their is a very weird bug with the weapon coding system. You can carry two weapons which default to the 'Heavy Machine Gun' at all times even if you run out of ammo and another unique weapon which is replaced if you accidently pick up another, however I've had instances where after exiting a map with 200 ammo 'Heavy Machine Gun' and 40 ammo 'Drop Shot', if I then pickup another HMG it erases the Drop Shot from my inventory. What's even stranger is ammo scaling between weapons, so if I then retrieve a 'Drop Shot' after this it shoots up to 70 as if I never lost it in the first place.

This also works interchangeably between weapons say I have 30 'Flameshots' then accidently pickup a 'Rocket Launcher' it'll bump up to 50. Their was even one instance where I somehow was carrying three weapons, HMG, Enemy Chaser and the Flameshot o_O

I also really don't like the fact the HMG isn't dropped from your inventory when it runs out of ammo as it's scaled to a max ammo usage of 999. This means I can only carry one unique weapon and deliberately have to leave others behind then return to them, which can fuck you over if you run out at an inopportune moment.

I can't see why the HMG has to remain in your inventory permanently as an empty clip preventing you from carrying a 'Flameshot and Rocket Launcher' as an example.

Another thing is the 'Ion Lizard' is near useless as it collides with any platform of the same height and is therefore useless at hitting enemies at any height variation other then straight in front of you, given it's not airborne it should at least be able to travel straight over all platforms with differing height values because this weapon in it's current state just doesn't translate well to a 3D environment making it difficult to use well in Doom's fast paced, twitch reflex required environment.

I also think the 'Drop Shot' needs more weight when firing at an upwards angle as it's currently hard to reach platforms above you as the projectiles stay horizontal for the most part.

I can attach an online demo of myself playing on a server showcasing these anomalies if your interested, I can't do so at this moment in time.

EDIT: Here we go https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tly2jij4u51t ... 1.cld?dl=0

You'll need metalslug-i, rottmidimusic and tvr! to view. I recommend viewing between MAP05-10
Last edited by Armitage on Tue May 19, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.