Doom Competitive Weapons

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Tiger
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Doom Competitive Weapons

Post by Tiger » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:51 am

Ever wanted Doom weapons to be - more suitable for Deathmatch genre? Well, this is my personal take on this very topic. Of course, yes, the weapons we know well is okay for playing FFA if you stick to the primary weapons like the Super Shotgun or the Rocket Launcher. However, I made this mod to revise the weapons to be more Deathmatch oriented. I did this by making the weapons faster for general use and trying to follow with Quake 3's ideas as the base concept. Hopefully other players will find this useful or maybe inspire others to make Doom weapons even better yet fun for competitive games.
With this mod, anyone is able to take this file and use it for their own projects, change it, put the contents on a floppy diskette and shred it, do whatever you want.

Some changes made:
  • Player speed has decreased, but only slightly
  • The player is automatically given the Chaingun and Chainsaw at spawn.
  • The chaingun now randomly fires bullets at a horizontal and vertical spread.
  • The chaingun can no longer be used as a 'sniping' weapon.
  • The shotgun fires pellets at a horizontal and vertical spread.
  • The super shotgun has a tighter pellet spread
  • The super shotgun's reload states are skipped
  • The rockets (from a rocket launcher) travels faster.
  • The grenade launcher's grenade is heavier.
  • The plasma's gun 'cool-down' state is skipped.
  • The Railgun animates a warm-up state and cool down state.
  • Weapons can not be dropped
  • The player is not able to use 'autoaim' on these weapons.
I was not able to get any testers on IRC to be sure if this works on Zandronum's latest stable engine, so if there is any issues - feel free to make your own revisions and post it on this thread. In addition, I don't have any images to add on this topic as I would feel that it would be 'false advertisement'. The weapons themselves are still from Doom 2 (including the Railgun and grenade launcher), but their properties and flags has been changed.

Dependencies Required: Download:
DMCompWeap.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tiger on Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

Combinebobnt

RE: Doom Competitive Weapons

Post by Combinebobnt » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:38 pm

This only runs on zdoom, which means good luck getting anyone to play this
Last edited by Combinebobnt on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:36 pm

Combinebobnt wrote: This only runs on zdoom
Do you know precisely what breaks this? Like I have stated in the main topic, I was not able to get anyone to test it over on IRC. Ironically, I can not also get the Zandronum engine to even work at this present moment.

If the issues are really simple to correct, I'll be willing to correct them just for sakes of compatibility.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

Kara Kurt
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Kara Kurt » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:31 pm

There was actually no need to nerf Doomguy's speed but well.

nax
Lead Administrator

Post by nax » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:36 pm

Kara Kurt wrote: There was actually no need to nerf Doomguy's speed but well.
In his topic he stated that the goal was to be more "Quake like". Normal run/strafe speed in the various quake games are not nearly as fast as doom.

As a long-time Quake player, these changes sound pretty good, though I'm half wondering how the SSG will pan out.

EDIT: Also, if you increase the rocket travel speed, it might be prudent to slow it's rate of fire slightly to compensate. Faster rocket speeds will lead to more accurate rockets, and doom's RL has a faster rate of fire comparatively.
Last edited by nax on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kara Kurt

Post by Kara Kurt » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:54 pm

Okay it is meant to be Quakish but how would we call someone running at Strafe50, SR45 or something?
Last edited by Kara Kurt on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:56 pm

Why do you even need to label it? There's no point. Also, the lowered speed actually makes bunny hopping more important, which I'd like a lot.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Kara Kurt

Post by Kara Kurt » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:02 am

Well, I was kidding.

I have no idea why I'm having this:

nax
Lead Administrator

Post by nax » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:45 am

Ivan wrote: Why do you even need to label it? There's no point. Also, the lowered speed actually makes bunny hopping more important, which I'd like a lot.
i even forgot about that! good point

Shane
Forum Regular
Clan: Renegades
Clan Tag: [R]

Post by Shane » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:11 am

There really is no need to write your own flag into the wad that prevents weapons from being dropped, most servers run with the weapon drop flag off by default.

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:18 am

I reuploaded the 'DMCompWeap.pk3' which no longer has the 'thumbs.db' file. In addition, I added a new file 'DMCompWeap_SetBack.pk3' which has some DECORATE flags and properties removed. Hopefully this should be enough to run on the Zandronum engine.

Sorry, I guess it's just ZDoom only until Zandronum catches up....
I removed most of the DECORATE specific flags and properties, but in order for the weapons to work on Zandronum, it'll require dependencies with deprecated file lumps that I don't want to touch. Sorry everyone....
Last edited by Tiger on Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

Monsterovich
Forum Regular

Post by Monsterovich » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:13 pm

Tiger wrote: trying to follow with Quake 3's ideas as the base concept.
Doom random damage formula sucks. Quake 3 has no such formulas. I remember that shotgun spread had random, but it was removed in CPMA.
If this patch is designed only for dm, remove random damage from the game to get full quake 3 concept.

[spoiler]

Code: Select all

const float NRD_PROJECTILE = 4.5; // random(1,8)
const float NRD_BULLET = 2;
const float NRD_MBULLET = 3; // NRD_BULLET but for monsters
const float NRD_PUNCH = 5.5; // random(1,10)

const float NRD_ALTPUNCH = 3.5; // random(1,6) - Cacodemon
[/spoiler]
Last edited by Monsterovich on Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zanieon
Forum Regular

Post by Zanieon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:49 pm

Monsterovich wrote:Doom random damage formula sucks. Quake 3 has no such formulas.
Yup that's right, Quake 3 works with interger damage on all weapons.

Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, Grenade Launcher, Railgun and BFG10k all does persistent 100 points of damage on direct hits.

Machinegun is 7 on each bullet on FFA, Duel or CTF, 5 if is TDM.
Plasma Gun is 20 on each ball
Lightning is 8 per hit (160 in a single second)
Gauntlet is 50 pet hit

The only weapon which have unbalanced damage is Nailgun from Team Arena which does fucking 200 damage with all nails hitting the target.

Like somewhat i did with Hunter's Moon in the competitive version of it,i changed all damage formulas to the interger ones to represent more as it is in Quake 3, instead of random damage as the regular version uses on the weapons.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:32 pm

Honestly, a lot of these "dependencies" are unnecessary. You can toss that ZMAPINFO and use a KEYCONF, even though it's deprecated. (Hell, even introduce your own player class for these weapon sets) Then, those flags are almost useless for Zandronum, as the "Standards" portion of them are already enabled server-side by many servers. The only problem is the bobbing, and that's only aesthetic, people won't care about that if the weapons don't feel good. So there you go, I suggest you touch these up and stop going the lazy of handling things just because Zandronum isn't on par.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Ivan wrote: Honestly, a lot of these "dependencies" are unnecessary. You can toss that ZMAPINFO and use a KEYCONF, even though it's deprecated. (Hell, even introduce your own player class for these weapon sets) Then, those flags are almost useless for Zandronum, as the "Standards" portion of them are already enabled server-side by many servers. The only problem is the bobbing, and that's only aesthetic, people won't care about that if the weapons don't feel good.
If you would like, or if anyone else wants to make the appropriate changes, feel free to do so. I explicitly made this PWAD open for anyone to do as they wish, such as update it, completely revise, use it in their projects, etc. The contents in this PWAD used to be part of the TGRDM3 project that is now dead, but instead of it collecting dust on my harddrive alone, why not share some resources that others might enjoy for their own personal gain? Sure, some people will hate this, some might love it, most wont care either way. But for those that are interested in something competitive while using the default stock weapons in Doom 2 (with railgun and grenade launcher), this PWAD is an option for them.

If anyone is interested, I still do have the 'SetBack' version, but some-else is going to need to setup the KeyConfig lump, I have no motivation todo anything further.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:12 am

I'm really not seeing what's the point of making competitive doom more competitive quake, since why play doom if it's quake except not quake?
[quote="Kennon Conrad"]Dear LawCounsels,
To prove your compressor works, I suggest you try it on your posts and then post only the result.

We all know an ideal lossy compressor would output 0 bytes for your posts, so see if you can beat that.

Have a nice day.[/quote]

nax
Lead Administrator

Post by nax » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:37 pm

why does it have to be one way or another? some people who like doom also like quake and prefer the community over something like quake live. some people also like having most of their games all on the same spot ala doomseeker / IDE. skins, text colors, the various maps available for doom and not quake, etc.

quake live is the only living quake game left for competitive fragging, and QLive is not very customizable outside of editing colors. also you don't even get the full amount of features as a free player (even if you own Quake 3 several times over).

also with the new gametic unlagged coming soon it'll have much better netcode than quake live.