Samsara Add-on: Monster Mixer - 0.18a (Bloodyhell, an update!)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Shadowlink223

Samsara Add-on: Monster Mixer - 0.18a (Bloodyhell, an update!)

Post by Shadowlink223 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 am

This add-on for Samsara will randomize the enemy spawns in Doom and Chex Quest with the enemies featured in each of the heroes' respective games.

The monsters currently included are those from Doom, Hexen, Heretic, Chex Quest, Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem 3D, and Marathon with Quake monsters coming eventually.

Fair warning: Invasion is currently unstable, it's possible to play through most maps without issue, but sometimes a monster won't spawn properly and will cause the game to pretty much grind to a halt, the reason for this is unknown at the moment. If you play this with Invasion, avoid the 3 maps listed in "Known Bugs/Issues" as they will break no matter what. Coop is much more playable though!

Download here.
Load it after Samsara (Made for 0.31 beta)
Spoiler: Monster Set Info (Open)
To be updated later.
Note: Emulating the original behavior of the Marathon set consumes a lot of bandwidth online at the moment and are disabled by default. They should not be enabled in a server using a monster heavy level set. I plan on adding optional simplified versions of this set in a later version.
Spoiler: Screenshots (Open)
Spoiler: Known Bugs/Issues (Open)
MAP05, MAP10, and MAP12 from Armageddon break because ??? .
Marathon Cyborg grenades aren't bouncy enough.
Spoiler: Changelog (Open)
From 0.17b to 0.18

Fixes:
- The script for mm_randomcycle would sometimes outrun the spawners on monster heavy maps, it has been reworked so the spawners stand by until randomcycle is finished setting up.
- Changed the sprite name for the Super Cycloptis as it caused a conflict with Naraka.
- Fixed a loophole where BJ could kill Marathon monsters that were invulnerable to fire with his flamethrower.
- Fixed a problem with Doom monsters that wouldn't trigger A_BossDeath in single player while bloodyhell was enabled
Additions:
- Bloodyhell support added for the Wolf3D, Duke3D, and Marathon sets. (Modes -1 through 2 only)
- Throwback monsters for a few sets. Includes a yellow armored flemoid for Chex, the High Guard from Rise of the Triad, and the Mage from Catacomb 3-D
- Rare monster spawns for the Marathon set.
- Invisible monsters mode.
- Added mm_nobats for the Wolf3D set for those who don't like the gun bats.
- Added more brightmaps.
Tweaks:
- Reworked the Marathon difficulty system to be token based instead of multiple ACS calls so this will hopefully use less bandwidth
- Added +QUICKTORETALIATE to the Marathon set to improve monster accuracy.
- Lowered the movement speed on the Mini-Battlelord so it's less jittery.
- Major Juggernauts now fire missiles 2 times per attack state to match Marathon.
- Cyborgs from Marathon can now be stunned by sustained fire.
- The M2 Enforcer now replaces the Arachnotron instead of the Cyborg.
- Hunters now go boom on XDeath, dealing 61-90 damage.
- Juggernauts from Marathon cause a blinding flash after they explode.
- Wolfenstein SS now drops a weapon when killed. (Slot 2 for BJ, slot 4 for the rest)
- The big Maximus that replaces the Arch Vile in the Chex set has been nerfed quite a bit.
- Korax has been returned to his original health of 5,000
- Added two new puffs for the High Guard and M1 Juggernaut.
- All CVARs now use the prefix mm_ instead of smm_
- Removed the Centaur Leader from the Spectre slot in favor of a normal Centaur.

From 0.17 to 0.17b

Fixes:
- Fixed an incorrect sprite name on The Axe causing him to disappear for a moment during his death state.
- Drops done with mm_pinataparty would respawn if sv_itemrespawn was enabled, a change in method fixes this.
- Runes by default have +NOGRAVITY and because of that would fly to the top of maps and never come back when spawned by DefaultPinataPop. The random spawner now has versions without that flag.
- D'Sparil spawning in monsters was causing problems in Invasion mode, the spawning method has been changed to A_SpawnItemEx.
- DukeJibs4 had a wrong sprite name in the Death2 state, renamed to fix.
- Marathon Juggernauts could get stuck on other actors during its death state, so it wouldn't be able to die. Added THRUACTORS in the Death state to fix this.
- Finally remembered to fix a long existing issue involving some of the SoD Mission 2 bosses using incorrect projectile sprites.
Additions:
- CVar info string.
- Chex Quest support.
Tweaks:
- Made the Protector Drone not play its active sound so often.
- The Battlelord, Cycloid Emperor, and Overlord now have a footstep sound.
- Explosives should now always send a Marathon monster into it's XDeath state.
- Changed some obituaries that were bothering me.
Spoiler: Credits (Open)
Minesae Hiromu = Former coder for this add-on.
CVar based spawning code was done by "S". (Link to his version of SMM for ZDoom.)
PresidentPeople - For custom Duke gibs, custom sprites to give some Marathon monsters special Duke XDeath states, providing info for the Marathon set, helping code for said set, and some bloodyhell states.
TerminusEst13 - For help with some coding and creating Samsara.
Ijon Tichy - For some help with ACS.

Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny & Doom sprites/sounds are property of id Software.
Duke Nukem 3D sprites/sounds are property of 3D Realms.
Hexen & Heretic sprites/sounds are property of Raven Software.
Chex Quest sprites/sounds are property of Digital Cafe.
Marathon sprites/sounds are property of Bungie.
Special thanks goes towards the awesome people in #samsara, #viciousc, and the random people who joined my testing servers to hunt down the bug preventing spawns in Invasion.
Spoiler: CVars and other notes (Open)
[set] = doom/heretic/hexen/chex/wolf3d/duke3d/marathon

mm_[set] 0/1: Enable or disable any monster set from being picked. Disable all of them to see something interesting.
mm_wolfmode [0-2]: sets which skin to spawn for the Wolf3D set. 0 uses anything from Spear of Destiny Mission one, 1 uses SoD mission two/three skins, and 2 randomly spawns either.
mm_fakehitlerfire 0/1: Toggles the speed of the fake hitler fireballs. 0 is slow and 1 is fast. Fast mode is recommended for large maps.
mm_wolffastdeath 0/1: If set to 1, makes certain Wolf3D bosses instantly fall over upon death, otherwise plays the original animation.
mm_randomcycle [0-3]: When set to 1 or higher, randomly picks a set or sets for the next map or wave. (Requires map to be restarted once or twice) Do not touch the mm_[set] commands while this is enabled.
mm_skilloverride [0-5]: Overrides the skill check for the Marathon set. Setting it to 5 disables this. e.g. setting this to 4 while playing on skill 1 would spawn Nightmare level monsters on Hey Not Too Rough difficulty
mm_ban[set] 0/1: Bans a set from being chosen when mm_randomcycle is active.
mm_multiply [0-12]: When enabled, makes monsters and ammo multiply based on the value. In invasion mode, it only works on ammo.
mm_pinataparty 0/1: When enabled, makes monsters that are killed drop 5 randomized items, 10 for bosses. Includes anything from ammo, weapons, health, armor, powerups, runes, and an ally spawning beacon.
mm_newchex 0/1: If set to 1 in Doom, makes the spawners use the Samsara version of Snotfolus rather than the old one. In Chex Quest, it chooses between the old chex3.wad versions or the updated Samsara versions.
mm_fullradiusdmg 0/1: If set to 0, disables the full radius damage dealt by the Marathon set explosions.
mm_rarespawns 0/1: If set to 0, disables the chance for rare Marathon monsters to spawn.
mm_invisiblemode 0/1: If set 1, makes all monsters completely invisible except when attacking, in pain, or dead.
mm_nobats 0/1: If set to 1, removes the gun bats from Wolf3D and replaces them with spectres from Spear of Destiny
mm_specpermdeath 0/1: If set to 1, makes the SoD Spectres die permanently instead of going dormant.

This addon changes the behavior of the Duke gibs in Samsara. Instead of landing on the ground and sitting around for awhile, they will disappear in a little blood splash instead. This simulates the behavior in Duke Nukem 3D, however enabling samsara_cl_bloodypersistent will make them stick around.

Chex gibs have been changed a bit too, they'll just disappear entirely when hitting the ground. This was because killing large amounts of Chex enemies would usually end up with a reduced framerate.

The alien weapon from Marathon 2 has been given a damage type so that you can still kill the Marathon monsters that are immune to fire.
Last edited by Shadowlink223 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnsaladaDeTomate

RE: Samsara Add-on: Monster Mixer

Post by EnsaladaDeTomate » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Awesome mod, r u planning to add more monsters from different games? ex: blood, redneck rampage, shadow warrior, etc etc etc....

Btw, u should check this for wolfenstein enemies n bosses ---> http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33447
Last edited by EnsaladaDeTomate on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:45 pm

if it goes wolfenstein, why not subtract the original wolfenstein Graphics and scale them in appropiate size?
NOTE: I remember there is a wolf3D TC that looks like it took the original graphics.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

nickcaibua
Registered just to make one post

Post by nickcaibua » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:25 am

Can somebody tell me how to edit the flemoidus maximus from chex quest monster please? Because it is so imbalanced.

Shadowlink223

RE: Samsara Add-on: Monster Mixer (0.17b)

Post by Shadowlink223 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:14 pm

I know the above posts are pretty old, but I'll answer them anyway since development is alive again.
Lollipop wrote: if it goes wolfenstein, why not subtract the original wolfenstein Graphics and scale them in appropiate size?
NOTE: I remember there is a wolf3D TC that looks like it took the original graphics.
I did pull the original graphics and I think I got the scaling about right.
EnsaladaDeTomate wrote: Awesome mod, r u planning to add more monsters from different games? ex: blood, redneck rampage, shadow warrior, etc etc etc....
No, I just plan on adding monsters from the main heroes' games. The ones you just listed are all build engine games and I don't really like trying to emulate their behavior that much.
Btw, u should check this for wolfenstein enemies n bosses ---> http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33447
I'll consider adding them when all the Spear of Destiny bosses are done and if I'm allowed to.
nickcaibua wrote: Can somebody tell me how to edit the flemoidus maximus from chex quest monster please? Because it is so imbalanced.
That version of the maximus is only in the arch vile slot now, barons are replaced with the original Chex Quest version but scaled down to be around the same size.

Medicris
Forum Regular

RE: Samsara Add-on: Monster Mixer - 0.17b (Now with Duke3D and Marathon monsters)

Post by Medicris » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:23 am

Oh man, it's out now? Real glad a stable's finally released. Time to run-punch some aliens and boot some pigs.

Mycroft
New User

RE: Samsara Add-on: Monster Mixer - 0.17b (Now with Duke3D and Marathon monsters)

Post by Mycroft » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:44 am

i dont know if anyone else is getting this but im having an issue and i genuinely dont know if i've just fucked up the settings somehow, if this issue is the mod itself, some form of conflict between the mods i have or what.

im new to running a server and i was having issues getting it to work just like i wanted, i wanted any given level to be mostly dedicated to a given enemy type (E1M1 may be nothing but enemies from chex, E1M2 be enemies from duke nukem 3d, E1M3 would be enemies from marathon, etc) and based upon what i had read here i believed that to be possible, it took me awhile to figure out how to enable marathon enemies at all and now for whatever reason it only ever spawns enemies from duke nukem 3d, and no other kinds whatsoever, every rare now and then or when i just barely start the server up it will throw me enemies from marathon but otherwise its all duke.

this is especially frustrating since my primary motivation for getting this mod was that i wanted more variety from my samsara experience, i couldnt find a way to run through Duke Nukem Atomic Edition or Marathon using samsara so i figured i was SOL until i found your mod, dont get me wrong, i love fighting the enemies from duke, i find the protector drones and pig cop tanks WAY more fearsome then the nearest Doom equivalents, but if im only fighting the enemies from this one singular game it defeats the point, i WILL get bored of it eventually because its the same enemies over and over again as opposed to a wide variety of threats.

i've tried to reset the settings to what i think to be the defaults, i've tried changing maps constantly and its a no go, no matter what i do its all duke, i would just chalk it up to the game just wanting me to face enemies from duke nukem 3d alot and them just constantly getting chosen by random chance, but when its only one set of enemies for two maps in a row thats a coincidence, five maps in a row is a disturbing pattern and ten maps in a row sounds like some sort of issue.

i just spent the past four hours trying to fix this and i just give up, until the next version hits i think im just going to have to deal with the only choices being either duke enemies only or vanilla only
Last edited by Mycroft on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mycroft
New User

Post by Mycroft » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:18 am

okay so i was asked to provide the cvars and for some reason its not allowing me to post a reply to private messages, i ASSUME this is what you want.

"+sv_maxlives" "0" "-host" "+alwaysapplydmflags" "1" "-skill" "4" "+cooperative" "1" "+sv_hostemail" "\"\"" "+map" "Map01" "+sv_maprotation" "0" "+sv_randommaprotation" "0" "+sv_motd" "\"\"" "+sv_hostname" "Started from Doomseeker" "+sv_website" "\"\"" "+sv_password" "\"\"" "+sv_forcepassword" "0" "+sv_joinpassword" "\"\"" "+sv_forcejoinpassword" "0" "+sv_rconpassword" "\"\"" "+sv_broadcast" "0" "+sv_updatemaster" "0" "+sv_maxclients" "8" "+sv_maxplayers" "8" "+dmflags" "0" "+dmflags2" "0" "+dmflags3" "0" "+compatflags" "0" "+compatflags2" "0" "+lmsallowedweapons" "0" "+lmsspectatorsettings" "0" "+sv_afk2spec" "0" "+sv_coop_damagefactor" "1" "+sv_defaultdmflags" "0" "+smm_doom" "1" "+smm_heretic" "1" "+smm_hexen" "1" "+smm_chex" "1" "+smm_wolf3d" "0" "+smm_duke3d" "1" "+smm_marathon" "1"

when have the settings in this manner the server runs perfectly fine for exactly, ONE level, ill start the server and it will run with any settings i choose except for random cycle (which i cant get to work), and then immediately after it will switch to only duke enemies in the levels until shut the server down completely and start it again, im hoping it will turn out im just an idiot and i toggled (or didnt toggle) some setting without realising it (which would suggest its a simple fix)
Last edited by Mycroft on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:53 pm

When I play this with naraka, the cacodemon replacement from chex quest looks like a green cyberdemon when he dies. Other than that, they seem to work great together. I would love to host these two samsara mods together, if only this little sprite clash were fixed.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Shadowlink223

Post by Shadowlink223 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:05 am

Mycroft wrote: okay so i was asked to provide the cvars and for some reason its not allowing me to post a reply to private messages, i ASSUME this is what you want.

[stuff]
Well I tried seeing if I could recreate the issue using my own server but couldn't manage to do so. Since I'm really not sure what is going on, all I can suggest is that you try setting "smm_init 0", restarting the map, and seeing if that helps any.

If it doesn't, try opening your zandronum config file, remove any lines with the smm_ prefix, and relaunch the mod.
Empyre wrote: When I play this with naraka, the cacodemon replacement from chex quest looks like a green cyberdemon when he dies.
Thanks for pointing that out, I just tried it myself and had a good laugh. I'll change the sprite names for the next version.

Mycroft
New User

Post by Mycroft » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:39 am

i attempted your fixes and as before, nothing happened, by default with no SMM settings (or anything in the custom parameters section whatsoever) it spawns duke only enemies.

for clarification, as i have been attempting to resolve this issue i have not used ANY mod except for samsara itself (which seems to be necessary to use your mod, for obvious reasons), your mod and the doom2 wad. (i tried to swap wads in the hopes something would happen which could provide useful information but unsuprisingly wad choice did not have any impact)

specifically i am using version 0.17b of your mod and samsara-v0.31-gitv1, i am attempting to understand as many of the details regarding the issue that i can and all i can tell so far is that the problem exists in version 0.17 as well but does not in version 0.15a (those are the only versions of your mod which i was able to locate), i could not tell if SMM random cycle would have worked for me in version 15a since as far as i am aware in that version it was not possible to set that but in 15a it DOES provide a random mix of all enemies available in the mod throughout.

i also attempted to go back to samsara-v0.31-beta in the hopes of getting the mod to function as is supposed to be normal (or at least, what i ASSUME to be normal) and there were likewise no changes for versions 0.17b or 0.17 (version 0.15a seemed likewise unaffected, it worked as normal), throughout this process i ran the test both with your suggested fix and with the custom parameters section being completely blank, i have likewise kept as few dm flags as possible tagged in the hopes of ensuring there are no potential conflicts.

as of this writing (or typing, as it were) i have also attempted to redownload your mod in the hopes this would resolve the issue, as well as doing a full reinstall of zandronum and doomseeker, with no success or noticeable changes of any kind in both cases.

i did notice ONE strange thing though, i dont know how useful or relevant this is, but any info i suppose.

this problem persists when by default, when there are no settings of any kind whatsoever it is duke only enemies, however when i use either your recommended settings, my own settings (and they can be essentially anything i choose) it does work exactly as i tell it to, for that one level alone (so its almost as if zandronum uses the cvars for that one level and then throws them out completely on every level afterwards, i will attempt further testing on my theory later but even if that turns out to be the case i dont know how to fix that)

not sure this has been useful or relevant but im not exactly a professional bug tester or anything so im just doing what i can to provide as much useful info as i can.

Mycroft
New User

Post by Mycroft » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:45 pm

took me awhile but i found out what the problem was, as i had begun to suspect the issue was with zandronum itself and not with the mod.

regardless, the problem turned out to be incredibly minor.

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:15 pm

Don't leave us hanging. What was the problem?
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Mycroft
New User

Post by Mycroft » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:39 pm

i just used all the default installation settings so it installed zandronum to the program files directory, for certain programs this is a no go as windows 7 is very picky about letting programs modify, create or delete files in that category and i had been aware it had some degree of conflict with zandronum up to that point, i just wasnt aware the extent to which it was an issue till i did some searching here on the forums, reinstalling zandronum in a desktop folder resolved the issue completely and its working well enough, im having a few other issues with the mod but i feel i will resolve them when i play with the settings more.

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:03 pm

Another place to put Z& and all your sourceports\id software games is in a C:\ID\<sourceport>\. You know, like the old days before games installed into Program Files or Appdata.
Last edited by Medicris on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDaMan

Post by WhoDaMan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:17 am

I was getting an error when I tried to run this.

Script error, "samsaramonstermixer-v0.17b.pk3:actors/smmglobal.txt" line 94:
Replaced type 'DukeGibs1' not found in NewDukeGibs1

Edit: Nevermind, I had the wrong version of Samsara, works fine now.
Last edited by WhoDaMan on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drakeman1234

Post by Drakeman1234 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:50 am

A friend of mine is having the same error as the person above, but he is using the Samsara 0.31 beta. He's also using it on Windows 8 and I can't reproduce the error he's having.

WhoDaMan

Post by WhoDaMan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:10 am

Samsara 0.31 has to be loaded before the monster mixer. So if you are launching from Doomseeker makes sure Samsara 0.31 is above this wad.

Drakeman1234

Post by Drakeman1234 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:22 am

I am launching it from Doomseeker, and yes it was loaded after Samsara 0.31. It's only my friend who can't join.

Shadowlink223

Post by Shadowlink223 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:30 am

So before I respond to the stuff below I just want to say that I'm sorry for being so inactive on the forums, I've been busy with a seasonal job and haven't even really touched the mod itself until very recently. So I forgot that I even had a thread.

Things at work have finally died down though, so I've been tweaking things again. Just to note, I'm a lot more active on irc.zandronum.com in #Anakeion than on the forums.
Mycroft wrote:i could not tell if SMM random cycle would have worked for me in version 15a since as far as i am aware in that version it was not possible to set that but in 15a it DOES provide a random mix of all enemies available in the mod throughout.
That would be because all versions prior to 0.17 have no cvars at all and just work off of a bunch of actors that inherit from RandomSpawner.
Mycroft wrote:windows 7 is very picky about letting programs modify, create or delete files in that category
I've started installing all my programs into my user folder for that very reason, having to deal with Win7's security isn't fun sometimes.
Drakeman1234 wrote: I am launching it from Doomseeker, and yes it was loaded after Samsara 0.31. It's only my friend who can't join.
That's strange, unfortunately I'm not sure what to say about it unless I can reproduce the error myself.
Last edited by Shadowlink223 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.