Long term goals.

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

RE: Long term goals.

Post by Slim » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:08 pm

Drayko wrote: Here's a goal I think is worth pursuing:

An open source all-in-one package that includes Zan, Doomseeker, Freedoom, and the appropriate fmod.
Well Zandronum normally has DoomSeeker bundled in so... where have you been? and I see no problem with people looking for FreeDoom themselves.
Last edited by Slim on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)

Drayko

Post by Drayko » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:43 am

A full port to WebGL/HTML5 that supports the vast majority of the WAD library.

Enhanced text system ala ZDaemon, but with full Unicode support. Maybe even LaTeX just in case we need to have a triple integrals lesson whilst fragging.
Last edited by Drayko on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr fiat
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by mr fiat » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:24 am

better opengl would be nice, support for AMD cards is criminaly low.

gpu utilization is almost always below 20% which is absolutely dreadful.
Last edited by mr fiat on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drayko

Post by Drayko » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:04 am

I hate to say this but I want to get this off my chest: The duplication of effort and hyperfragmentation of Doom source ports needs to stop. Zan, Oda, and ZD need to become one. Oda being a subset of ZD, and ZD being a subset of Zan. Any other stragglers need to get abort their projects as well.
Last edited by Drayko on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:33 am

Zandro, Odamex, and ZDaemon have completely different goals and design philosophies, so the chances of that happening is unfortunately quite small.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

De-M-oN
Forum Regular

Post by De-M-oN » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:41 pm

But GZDoom vs Zandronum meh.

Thats really a bit unnecessary. Why not implementing zandros netcode and stuff into gzdoom and working all together on gzdoom? :(

Zandro uses always such an outdated gzdoom base that its sometimes annoying that it doesnt support so many flags and so on, while zandro also has some good things like text scaling, which is at gzdoom even more basic than in zandronum which at least has a good message scaling system.

Drayko

Post by Drayko » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:47 pm

TerminusEst13 wrote: Zandro, Odamex, and ZDaemon have completely different goals and design philosophies, so the chances of that happening is unfortunately quite small.
Yeah and the reason for this is because the developers are a bunch of socially iliterate pretentious fucktards and they should just get over it.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:45 am

Drayko wrote:
TerminusEst13 wrote: Zandro, Odamex, and ZDaemon have completely different goals and design philosophies, so the chances of that happening is unfortunately quite small.
Yeah and the reason for this is because the developers are a bunch of socially iliterate pretentious fucktards and they should just get over it.
Lmao chill out mate, just a game.

Slim
Zandrone

Post by Slim » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:46 am

Drayko wrote: Yeah and the reason for this is because the developers are a bunch of socially iliterate pretentious fucktards and they should just get over it.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I mean really, the communities have always had rocky relations, so it's pretty much impossible for them to do so.
Last edited by Slim on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:00 am

Drayko wrote: the developers are a bunch of socially iliterate pretentious fucktards
What did you just call me?

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:20 am

Oh great, MORE wisdom from a person who never did any research or contribution on his own part.

Seriously Drayko - You want changes? CONTRIBUTE rather than go "I want x" in the wrong place for several years, often about/ignoring THINGS THAT ARE ALREADY IN THE PIPELINE.

The right place for all that is the TRACKER.
Last edited by -Jes- on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:24 am

Drayko wrote: [How not to ask for things]
Hahaha, way to go. Even if everyone wanted to, this isn't how you go about getting anyone to do what you want.
Last edited by Medicris on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:36 am

Drayko wrote:
Wow. You figured it out, mate, way to go. It can't possibly be because of different codebases with different languages or interpreters, wildly different netcode, entirely different takes on just about every system, or different design philosophies that can't be reconciled.
Nope, they just need to "get over it" and do what you want them to do.

These guys are providing you a magnificent service that they have absolutely no obligation to do, and you proceed to shit all over them because they're not doing exactly what you want. You want all of the benefits with none of the drawbacks like some kind of fucking 12-year-old who thinks he's at a buffet that can pick and choose freely. You whine about how they're socially illiterate pretentious fucktards, all because you aren't getting the perfect pristine experience that only exists in your imagination.
Instead, reality comes crashing in and you get this, and you throw a fit.

Get out.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:02 pm

You guys should just ignore him, he's obviously a commie.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:40 pm

I do actually agree that much port fragmentation is utterly pointless, had it not been for the stubbornness and over-controlling nature of certain ZDaemon devs/admins in the past, and had the source and development process for ZDaemon actually remained open, a port like Odamex would probably be entirely unnecessary and probably would never have had to have happened. It just about makes sense to have one newschool and one oldschool port, it doesn't make any sense to have two new-oldschool hybrid ports like ZDaemon and Odamex, both based on zdoom 1.22/23b.. unless one of those two ports has an uncompromising development team that is determined to keep their source/development closed at all costs and purge any naysayers or critics from their community, in which case maybe Drayko has a point - at least with regards to a few people.

Dusk
Developer

Post by Dusk » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Drayko wrote:
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Drayko wrote:
LMAO

It's been so long since we had a good troll... thumbs up from me for effort.
Last edited by Watermelon on Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slim
Zandrone

Post by Slim » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Dusk wrote: Gorilla warfare
Rofl that copypasta.

But still, everyone's right (like I already knew), the ports are never coming together, and they're not for the reason you think Drayko. You need to sit down, and not say anything else that makes you look like a socially illiterate pretentious fucktard. Besides, calling the devs that has got you in deeeeep shit, might wanna clear out before you get it worse.
Last edited by Slim on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zakken
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:52 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
Drayko wrote: the developers are a bunch of socially iliterate pretentious fucktards
What did you just call me?

Like Terminus broke it to you Drayko, your dream of unifying all multiplayer Doom ports will forever be just that -- a dream. In fact, only more Doom ports will be born, with their own design goals, as the community grows. As for Zandronum here, if you'd like to see something in this port that already exists in another port, you could always suggest it in the tracker if it's reasonable enough. A fair share of features that were first implemented in other ports have found their way here so far.

Metal

Post by Metal » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:53 pm

Drayko wrote:
Illiterate*

Edit: I would also like to see what you have contributed to Zandronum or any port that would put you on a high pedestal that allows you to insult the developers here when you haven't even spoken to them.
Last edited by Metal on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner