Zandronum 1.3

News and events are posted here. Threads also show up in the Latest News section.
talisa
New User

RE: Zandronum 1.3

Post by talisa » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:11 pm

in-game music is broken for me in this new version :neutral:

had to revert back to zandronum 1.2.2 cuz i got no music at all in-game regardless of any wads i used or if i just purely used doom2 IWAD only

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:43 pm

talisa wrote: in-game music is broken for me in this new version :neutral:

had to revert back to zandronum 1.2.2 cuz i got no music at all in-game regardless of any wads i used or if i just purely used doom2 IWAD only
1) Check that your config hasn't changed

2) Move your config out of the folder and try with a default config

3) If this fails, can you file a bug report: http://zandronum.com/tracker/my_view_page.php

I'm able to get music working on Linux and Windows builds of 1.3.
Last edited by Watermelon on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talisa
New User

Post by talisa » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:53 pm

moved my old config out of zandronum folder and let zandronum create a new one, and music worked then.

then used notepad++ compare plugin to compare old+new config to see which sound-settings were different
and copied the sound-settings from new config into old one and then moved old conf back to zandronum folder

music works now in zandronum 1.3 for me :D
Last edited by talisa on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Glad to hear :)

Is it possible to see what settings may have changed? Do you know what variables were possibly different?

talisa
New User

Post by talisa » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:13 pm

it were these which were different in my old config (these are from working config)
snd_output_format=PCM-16
snd_speakermode=Auto
snd_resampler=Linear
snd_waterreverb=true
snd_hrtf=false
snd_buffercount=0
snd_driver=0

but no idea which one it was that was the culprit, and i tried playing around with settings in zandronum and cant seem to replicate the no-music problem
Last edited by talisa on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retro Gamer
New User

Post by Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Surprised to see you here talisa when last I mentioned Zandronum on the Q1 forums you expressed a preference for the Doomsday engine. :-)

I installed Zandronum 1.3 from the AUR, but its linking to the out of date OpenSSL 0.9.8 when OpenSSL 1.0.1i is the current. That's a show stopper which is fixed by building/installing openssl098 which apparently can coexist with the current thankfully.
Last edited by Retro Gamer on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talisa
New User

Post by talisa » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:48 pm

sure i like zandronum too, its great for brutal doom <3

doomsday i like for HD-ness, but zandronum is great for mods and online play

Edward-san
Developer

Post by Edward-san » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:54 pm

Retro Gamer wrote: I installed Zandronum 1.3 from the AUR, but its linking to the out of date OpenSSL 0.9.8 when OpenSSL 1.0.1i is the current. That's a show stopper which is fixed by building/installing openssl098 which apparently can coexist with the current thankfully.
We don't supply AUR packages. Our 'zandronum' package from debian.drdteam.org, our official repository, depends on OpenSSL 1.0.
Last edited by Edward-san on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blzut3
Developer

Post by Blzut3 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:07 am

I think you can actually symlink openssl 1.0.1 in the zandronum directory as libssl.so.0.9.8 and libcrypto.so.0.9.8 and it will work, Zandronum doesn't use any part of the API that changed. At least I think it worked when I briefly tried it, but I also have 0.9.8 installed on my system (Ubuntu 14.04 includes packages for both since 10.04 is still supported).

Also, it looks like the AUR downloads both fmod and zandronum even though the fmod lib is included in the archive.
Edward-san wrote: We don't supply AUR packages. Our 'zandronum' package from debian.drdteam.org, our official repository, depends on OpenSSL 1.0.
On that note, I did throw these up yesterday for Debian systems. The AUR package could extract from there as well.

I will need to talk to Torr next weekend about changing his build process to fix the tar.bz2.
Last edited by Blzut3 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retro Gamer
New User

Post by Retro Gamer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:55 am

Thank you for the info Edward-san I'm not complaining, just stating my experience with the option made available to arch based distro users. :-) I'm sure I could manually pull and install from the debian package.

And yes Blzut3 a few extra steps, but you are correct. I installed this on my son's linux box and forgot I had made links when I had previously installed it on my PC's. FYI the AUR package is pulling from zandronum.com :"http://zandronum.com/downloads/${pkgnam ... 64.tar.bz2". If either links could be made by the install or just include 0.9.8 as a dependency would address the issue there. I already commented on the AUR.

The real problem I'm having with this 1.3 release is no music. I also experiencing weird crashing at full screen 1920x1080 with one Chex3 mod my son loves where I believe all was fine before the upgrade. The no music is what concerns me the most and I'm looking for the cause of it now. Might be something with the fmod install.
Last edited by Retro Gamer on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:29 am

Retro Gamer wrote: The real problem I'm having with this 1.3 release is no music. I also experiencing weird crashing at full screen 1920x1080 with one Chex3 mod my son loves where I believe all was fine before the upgrade. The no music is what concerns me the most and I'm looking for the cause of it now. Might be something with the fmod install.
I assume you already tried this, right?

Retro Gamer
New User

Post by Retro Gamer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:04 am

You assume correct I tried the easy stuff one would try 1st. That has no effect. I did just find out the crashing and the no music are related. fmod "seems" to initialize correctly as far as console output no errors only shows:

Code: Select all

I_InitSound: Initializing FMOD
FMOD Sound System, copyright � Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2009.
I only have soundfx, but no music with fmod selected in sound options and seems like random crashes on some end of level map changes. If I select TiMidity++ which I have installed and restart the sound system it crashes on change with message like:

execvp failed
zandronum: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
[xcb] Unknown sequence number while processing queue
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
zandronum: xcb_io.c:274: poll_for_event: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost' failed.
or just most the time this:

execvp failed
zandronum: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
Opl synth emulation which I have never used before works fine for midi, but I still want to fix the fmod issue. I installed gzdoom and fmod is the same there with the exception gzdoom handles sound system issues/crashes more gracefully without crashing the whole engine. At this point it looks more and more an issue with fmod all of a sudden and most likely not Zandronum. I'll just use Opl synth emulation from now on and try to fix fmod whenever.

Thank you everyone for your input. :smile:
Torr Samaho wrote: I assume you already tried this, right?
Last edited by Retro Gamer on Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hypnotoad
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Hypnotoad » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:41 pm

The latest zspecial.acs doesn't seem to be available anywhere, the closest is here: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4973 but this is missing important functions like BeginDBTransaction() and GetDBEntryRank etc..

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:45 pm

The latest zspecial.acs can be found here.

Hypnotoad
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Hypnotoad » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:12 pm

Thanks.

De-M-oN
Forum Regular

Post by De-M-oN » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:42 pm

-    - Fixed: Monsters near the bottom of a ledge or fence sometimes appeared as teleporting up on clients online. [Torr Samaho]
Best change of this version! That was so annoying at All Out War 2 with turrets and so on..

+    - Added the new vote type "forcespec" that forces a player to spectate. It can be disabled with the new CVAR sv_noforcespecvote (default false). [Torr Samaho]
You should integrate it into the game voting menu or at least in the wiki, because no one seems to know about this.

There is a bug though that all pings of players are listed as 0 on scoreboard. And this seems zandronum related to me, because it didnt only happen in complex doom, it happened in "bosses from hell" as well.
Is it maybe because of this change?

!    - The server now ignores client ping packets that don't make sense. [Torr Samaho]

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:59 pm

De-M-oN wrote: You should integrate it into the game voting menu or at least in the wiki, because no one seems to know about this.
The wiki is there for everybody to contribute to. If you find anything missing in there, please add it.
De-M-oN wrote: There is a bug though that all pings of players are listed as 0 on scoreboard. And this seems zandronum related to me, because it didnt only happen in complex doom, it happened in "bosses from hell" as well.
Can you reproduce this? Do you have a demo of this happening?

De-M-oN
Forum Regular

Post by De-M-oN » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:01 pm

Oh didnt know with the wiki. Ok I'll look then.
_
If it happens again I can send you a demo. Shouldnt be that hard to happen again, since it happens not seldom.

-Jes-
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by -Jes- » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:12 am

The zero ping thing has happened a few times recently in my BestEver servers. I'll try and see if I can root out when/where it happens.

Inkubus

Post by Inkubus » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:30 am

So can this new database thing be used to save online games?