ZDoom Wars 1: v3.15d (updated 2/6/19)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Slimmo
New User

RE: ZDoom Wars 1: v2.9

Post by Slimmo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 pm

This is an awesome mod and I hope it keeps getting better. I have played a few times with my friends and bots and its fun but after awhile the ground is cluttered with corpses hehe :P

Slimmo
New User

Post by Slimmo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

I have come back to give some suggestions, atleast for the doom marine as he is the one I have played the most :)

- Add some more visual differences to the Rail Revenant and the Dual Pain Elemental so its easier to tell them appart. For example the Rail Revenant's chest armor could have a different color.
- Add upgrades for those that does not have one already. An example for Cacodemon can be the Cacolich which I have seen somewhere else if you get that guys permission to use it.
- To make more room you can make so Shotgun Guy is an upgrade to Zombieman and Baron of Hell is an upgrade for Hell Knight.
- Maybe do so the Hell Knight or the Baron has a different colored projectile to tell them appart better.

Well its just some suggestions for one of the classes as I know to little about the others to make good suggestions.

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:58 am

Alright let's go one by one.

- The Dual Pain could use one indeed but I don't think it's that important since you'll fight it the same way as you would a regular one. As for the Rail Revs, I think they're okay but the armor suggestion is good for sure

- I don't think any new upgrades will be added into this as that would require balancing it with everything else which has been in the game for several years. And Cacolich is ugly, not to mention it's an entirely new monster - definitely not happening.

- As I said above such drastic gameplay changes won't happen, and those wouldn't work properly anyway since in order to retain balance they need considerably more health than their counterparts.

- The bruisers' projectiles are weak (in fact, weaker in 3.0 than they are now) and they're not made to be ranged anyway. I don't know why you'd need to tell them apart that much.

Slimmo
New User

Post by Slimmo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:45 am

SwordGrunt wrote: Alright let's go one by one.

- The Dual Pain could use one indeed but I don't think it's that important since you'll fight it the same way as you would a regular one. As for the Rail Revs, I think they're okay but the armor suggestion is good for sure

- I don't think any new upgrades will be added into this as that would require balancing it with everything else which has been in the game for several years. And Cacolich is ugly, not to mention it's an entirely new monster - definitely not happening.

- As I said above such drastic gameplay changes won't happen, and those wouldn't work properly anyway since in order to retain balance they need considerably more health than their counterparts.

- The bruisers' projectiles are weak (in fact, weaker in 3.0 than they are now) and they're not made to be ranged anyway. I don't know why you'd need to tell them apart that much.
Ah I see, oh well I was just brainstorming ideas.
It's nice that you respond to me though and good luck in the development of this cool mod :)

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Slimmo wrote:
SwordGrunt wrote: Alright let's go one by one.

Ah I see, oh well I was just brainstorming ideas.
It's nice that you respond to me though and good luck in the development of this cool mod :)
Suggestions are always appreciated. I'm not a developer on this but if you ever need help don't hesitate to ask.

Mr. Repo

RE: ZDoom Wars 1: v3.0

Post by Mr. Repo » Fri May 09, 2014 9:28 am

^ For the record I did see these posts, but the thing is they already were more or less replied to so I didn't feel the need chime in. The only thing I'd offer are long winded paragraphs of insanity and treason. Nobody wants that.

Anyway time to gather up ye ol' lynch mob because 3.0 has been released! Of course it's nothing like I wanted it to be, but at the very least a ton of bug and balance issues have been addressed. Probably the biggest change is the resources and data have now been separated for faster updating capabilities that I likely wont take advantage of!

A revision of the maps was also released, but since I didn't really do anything aside from fixing a few glaring errors... I consider it a revision. Hence, 1.5c.

Hope you enjoy it folks and check the original post for links.
Last edited by Mr. Repo on Fri May 09, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Sat May 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Is coop supposed to be broken now? It used to work just fine back in the old ZDoom Wars.

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Sat May 10, 2014 8:29 pm

Soul wrote: Is coop supposed to be broken now? It used to work just fine back in the old ZDoom Wars.
How exactly is it broken? It seems to work fine for me, don't forget you have to load resources and have it be a multiplayer game, as singleplayer will break due to the CVars that control a large portion of gameplay.

De-M-oN
Forum Regular

Post by De-M-oN » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:24 pm

-Lost Soul: Mr. Skull Head's damage has been lowered
From what to what?
_
soul and Baron fireball were op? hmm. wonders me.

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:35 am

De-M-oN wrote:
-Lost Soul: Mr. Skull Head's damage has been lowered
From what to what?
_
soul and Baron fireball were op? hmm. wonders me.
Hellknight fireballs were way too strong and are better now. Baron balls practically didn't change.

I'll be honest, I didn't think Lost Souls needed a nerf. But I think they're fine as they are right now, so perhaps they were a bit too damaging before.

You know, you can just open the file and check the damage difference if you really want to know, but if it wasn't mentioned it's probably slight.

Slimmo
New User

Post by Slimmo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:13 pm

I'm back with some suggestions/bug finds after playing a few times with my friend.

BUGS:
- The Archvile can infinitly revive Gargoyles as the corpse remains on the ground even after being revived. So they can just stand in one place and spawn a load of Gargoyles.
- (Not sure if bug or intended) Friendly monsters can hurt you, this can become really annoying when you have built up a nice army that stay close to you and then some enemy comes around and the ones standing behind you shoots you in the back which can kill you if they are strong enough.

Suggestions:
- Rail Revenants actully shooting rail shots instead of wierd fast moving plasma shots.
- Corpses of revivable monsters disappear after a couple of minutes (say 5 min or so). Because if you play for awhile the map becomes littered with corpses everywhere.
- It would be awesome if possible that the monsters are colored depending on the color of your character when you play FFA. That or the possibility to pick a color.

Otherwise this mod is awesome and I hope it gets developed more in the future :)
Last edited by Slimmo on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:45 am

Slimmo wrote: - Rail Revenants actully shooting rail shots instead of wierd fast moving plasma shots.
This would rekk players so fast it's not even funny.
Also, would still have to use the fast moving shot for effect, since rail attack particles tend to murder some combinations of ogl and (crappy) gpus.
Slimmo wrote:- Corpses of revivable monsters disappear after a couple of minutes (say 5 min or so). Because if you play for awhile the map becomes littered with corpses everywhere.
Well, you ARE in a battlefield...
Also, 5 minutes would actually harm raise mobs' usefulness a fair bit.

Slimmo wrote:- It would be awesome if possible that the monsters are colored depending on the color of your character when you play FFA. That or the possibility to pick a color.
Not currently possible with Zandronum.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:26 am

-Jes- wrote:
Slimmo wrote:- It would be awesome if possible that the monsters are colored depending on the color of your character when you play FFA. That or the possibility to pick a color.
Not currently possible with Zandronum.
It actually is, but with the way they are handled in ZDoom Wars probably not. I have managed this in GvH with the drones of Engineer, so it definitely is a possibility.
Last edited by Ivan on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:12 am

Ivan wrote:It actually is, but with the way they are handled in ZDoom Wars probably not.
That's essentially what I meant. ;D
IIRC a lot of the sprites would also have to be appended - right now I'm fairly certain most monsters use some finicky custom translation job.

Slimmo
New User

Post by Slimmo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:53 am

-Jes- wrote: This would rekk players so fast it's not even funny.
Also, would still have to use the fast moving shot for effect, since rail attack particles tend to murder some combinations of ogl and (crappy) gpus.
Thats probably true considering rail shots hit the instant they are shot.
Then perhaps he should fire something else entirely? How about a fast moving homing rocket? That would be a more logic upgrade to the normal Revenant that fires a sometimes homing fireball. Because at the moment their shots are next to invisible and does not make any sound.
-Jes- wrote: Well, you ARE in a battlefield...
Also, 5 minutes would actually harm raise mobs' usefulness a fair bit.
Hmm, then 10-15 minutes perhaps? Well the point is that the corpse should not remain forever because when playing with a friend and a couple of bots the amount of corpses after some time is riddiculus :)

I also noticed a very minor thing about death messages but I will mention it anyway. Normally the message is different depending on if the monster used a ranged attack or a melee attack to kill you but the message for the ranged attack is always used.
Example: Baron of Hell
(When killed by his fireball) "*player* was brusied by a Baron of Hell".
(When killed by his melee attack) "*player* was ripped open by a Baron of Hell"
Last edited by Slimmo on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

De-M-oN
Forum Regular

Post by De-M-oN » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Rail Revenants are important. Otherwise Doom has barely any sniper forces anymore. - Doom in general has weakness in far distances - especially if it has to fight ghosts. No please dont change revs.

Corpses dont stay forever by zandronum already. Its a big amount, but not unlimited (at multiplayer) (correct me if I'm wrong)
Also: Vile Pulse revives only weaker monsters. I dont see why you should nerf it? No please not.
Last edited by De-M-oN on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slimmo
New User

Post by Slimmo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:52 pm

De-M-oN wrote: Rail Revenants are important. Otherwise Doom has barely any sniper forces anymore. - Doom in general has weakness in far distances - especially if it has to fight ghosts. No please dont change revs.
If the Rail Revenant is changed to shoot fast moving homing rockets (also capable of hitting ghosts) they will still be very good snipers. The homing part makes up for the projectile's slower speed. Actully they would be better at hitting small and fast enemies at a longer distance, aspecially fliers.
Last edited by Slimmo on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

De-M-oN
Forum Regular

Post by De-M-oN » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:50 pm

But the player can dodge rockets.

It would be a nerf, yes.
Actully they would be better at hitting small and fast enemies at a longer distance, aspecially fliers.
He should be able to do it with his rail as well.

May sometimes work, but the advantage over rail is negligible.

I could build standard revs for that task anyway.
Last edited by De-M-oN on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:41 pm

Rail Revenants aren't going to be changed and their shots are not even close to invisible, they're pretty distinct and give away the Revenants' position.

Mr. Repo

Post by Mr. Repo » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:27 pm

-Jes- wrote:
Ivan wrote:It actually is, but with the way they are handled in ZDoom Wars probably not.
That's essentially what I meant. ;D
IIRC a lot of the sprites would also have to be appended - right now I'm fairly certain most monsters use some finicky custom translation job.
Actuaaaaaaaally they wouldn't be despite using finicky translation jobs if you can believe it. I did get this working with the sprites as is, but as Ivan said, there were some other issues that led it to being scrapped real quick. If anything I'm just letting you folks know that it was considered and there was an attempt to do it in the past.

Anyhoo I finally went and did the long overdue update to the map pack that I should have bugfixed immediately after the last release. I've uh, been quite busy with other stuff lately. Here's the changelog.
Spoiler: Map Pack v1.6b Changelog (Open)
-Removed Greatest Crucible from the map pack for several reasons

-Aaaaaand replaced it with a new map by GuiGui called “Underworld Siege”

-Fixed the missing sprites that caused broken actors for Snowfield(ZDWARS28) and The Rule of Three(ZDWARS30)

-Fixed various texture misalignments and small detail errors throughout the pack. This of course is a never ending battle

ZDWARS1: Removed the blocking, hanging corpses in hell marble side to the north

ZDWARS2: Raised that rock on the edge to the west of the map so monsters can be perched up there instead of immediately walking down and around

ZDWARS3: Changed the sky back to the previous version and removed the authentic void one. I still stand behind the void one, but I’m just so sick of the complaining so might as well make it tolerable for all

ZDWARS5: This was long overdue, but finally made the long bridge in the center a 3D Floor

-Also detailed the elevator area on the north eastern building up top

ZDWARS8: Completely blocked off that interior room. I’m sorry, but I’m not a map detailer genius like mik57 or Damage and any ability I do have is lost due to lack of motivation for mapping

ZDWARS12: Pulled the wall on the south west portion of the map with 3 platforms more towards the pit

-Pulled the edge of the cliff where you make the leap of faith to get to the platforms closer

ZDWARS13: Widened the doorways within the center silver structure

ZDWARS17: Made the elevator in the Inquisitor base to the platform next to it only accessible from the ground

ZDWARS21: Opening title code was missing the map number
Download: ZDoomWarsIMapsv1.6b.zip
Last edited by Mr. Repo on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.