Overlord

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
XutaWoo
Forum Regular

Overlord

Post by XutaWoo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Wait, what the hell?
Overlord is a custom game mode that uses CTF maps (but TeamGame game mode) that is almost as entertaining to watching play itself as it is to play.

Each team has an invisible base rather than a flag the spawns a Cacodemon and then proceeds to spew out Imps that hunt down the other teams' Cacodemons. What you end up with is an army of imps trying to breach into opposing bases to smack down a single enemy. Thankfully, the Cacodemons have a bunch of health. However, the imps will constantly fire if they get a lock on a target, meaning a crowd of them will easily bring down anything.

That's where you come in. The armies of Imps will trade blows with each other, one side winning eventually if no interference arises. You're the interference. You can opt to babysit your team's Caco-which has no survival skills, and will eagerly fly into the enemy base if unhindered-, disrupt the opposite Imp armies while push your own, or just hunt down the other teams' Cacodemons with a shotgun in hand.

So, this works on any CTF mapset?
Pretty much! However, flat, straight maps are preferred; more complicated ones tend to confuse the imps, causing them all to get stuck in one place. Of course, if everyone goes on the offensive, this doesn't matter.

Other teams? You mean, this supports more than two?
Yep! Nothing really changes; the person who gets the last hit on a Caco scores for his team. And yes, the Imps and Cacos can score for their team. Sometimes, they'll get all the points!

So where do I get this?
Right here!
Spoiler: Changelog (Open)
v4a

- Monster spawns can no longer be blocked! They'll instead phase through other actors until they can be a place they fit, then resume their normal completely corporeal existence.

- Imp and Hell Knight projectiles are now team colored, and projectiles from elite units will phase through their allies. As a side effect of all of this, Hell Knights had all their blood punched out - but fortunately, they were able to get transfusions for new, fashionable blood colors!

- Players can now see their Overlord's current health. The display will flash red for a short time after it takes damage.

- Probably a few other minor tweaks that I forgot about.

v3

-Cacodemons will now sometimes make meager attempts to flee upon taking pain. This lasts for all of until their next attack and does not dramatically increase their survivability.

-Imps have shaved of 8 map units to their physique, allowing them to squeeze together tighter than before.

-Fixed the timing on the Imp spawning.

-Every fourth wave now spawns an elite unit instead of a seventh imp!
--Hunter Imps have four times the health, four times the damage, and half the chance to go into their pain state. They're still pretty squishy, though. However, their increased power can decimate Cacodemons.
--Hell Knights are now immune to pain and come with a mighty x3 health multiplier. Their main attack now fires two extra spread shots, and now comes with a following back hand to make up for their lack of suppression. They prefer to roam about the base rather than assault the enemy's, making them good defense measures.
--Nuclear Demons are Demons that have six times the health and always act like they're on Nightmare! Well, except for the fact they they've picked up some new tricks. They'll now gain bursts of speed where they'll phase through other things, and they opt to belch explosions over chomping down. An old trick from the alphas has returned, too, as they'll explode extremely violently when struck down!
Spoiler: Credits (Open)
Ideas
Minigunner - Balance tweaks.
NeuralStunner - Idea that sparked inspiration for the idea of the Nuclear Demon.
The Overload team - Do I really have to say it?
DOTA and its derivatives - Minion waves.

Graphics
Eriance - Hunter Imp.
Last edited by XutaWoo on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Qent
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Overlord

Post by Qent » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:26 pm

This is fun. Like Kill the Cyberdemon, but the Imps and Cacodemons' attacks' being weaker than rockets make it more interesting.

Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:57 am

Good stuff. Been playing for a couple hours. Next version should rock faces.
[quote="wildweasel"]I really don't think that Doom is the proper platform to be questioning the legitimacy of Christianity.[/quote]

Captain Ventris Presents - My Tumblr, wherein I ramble about things and stuff.

Grymmoire

Post by Grymmoire » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:38 pm

I swear Xuta...you always have this tendency to make projects that I just want to spew out maps for.

XutaWoo
Forum Regular

Post by XutaWoo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:06 am

New version. Download and changelog is in the OP.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Xenaero

Post by Xenaero » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Very interesting concept. The best thing about this port is how much customization is available to the authors, which shows very distinctly in this project.

XutaWoo
Forum Regular

Post by XutaWoo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Hey, look, a new version.

Nothing but a bug fixes and QOL changes, but they actually change up the gameplay quite a bit.

See the changelog for more specifics.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]