The Space Pirate Neo (V.0.1.2a Alpha Released!)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Marty Kirra
New User

The Space Pirate Neo (V.0.1.2a Alpha Released!)

Post by Marty Kirra » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:59 am

ZDoom Forums Topic (Go there for the latest updates regarding the main version, character bios, and more!
Doomworld Forums Topic
MOD DB

Welcome to The Space Pirate Neo!
The Space Pirate is a new gameplay modification that takes Doom to new heights! Featuring ridiculously cool melee combat, a shotgun with alternate shell types, crossbows, and much more! The Space Pirate is the next installment in the Darkest Depths Universe (formerly the "Weaselverse"), which includes The Stranger, Agent Diaz: Last Hours of Purity, Agent Hernandez: Dawn of Tomorrow, and Threshold of Pain. The Space Pirate Neo is the Zandronum version which features new weapons, characters, and features exclusively made for you guys! Sweet!

Pirate Chat!
Come join us on IRC!
[url]irc://irc.zandronum.com/tsp[/url]

The Story
"At approximately 0900 hours, we intercepted a distress call from the UAC base on Phobos. From the video footage that has leaked to public airwaves, it looks like a teleporter experiment went awry, opening a portal to some hellish dimension. The entire base has been overrun with creatures from the other side of the portal, and both the Union Aerospace Military Division and reportedly the Research Crime Prevention Agency are doing their best to dispatch and rescue what remains of the personnel.

We couldn't have asked for a more perfect opportunity.

If you recall, the Martian Surface Excavation Unit discovered tablets and other artifacts left over by an ancient race called the "Praeleanthor". These would go for unprecedented amounts of money if we could somehow procure them, and amiss the chaos at Phobos, we would have the prime opportunity to retrieve them. Your objectives are simple.
  • Retrieve the Martian artifacts.
  • Assassinate any and all RCPA personnel. We need to keep our tracks clean.

Good luck Mel."

Open Alpha Download (Zandronum)
Mirror
Version 0.1.2a (Zandronum) (Updated 05/24/14)

Open Alpha Download (G/ZDoom)
Mirror
Version 0.1.2e (G/ZDoom) (Updated 05/06/14)

v0.1.2 Tutorial
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
Screenshots
Click here for the gallery!

New Features/Known Issues
[spoiler]
New Features
  • Two new weapons! The silent Dahlia Crossbow, and the Toolbox!
  • Zeke has been given a major upgrade and now supports three new shell types! Check out the tutorial on the Blue Vertigo youtube page for more info!
  • Mag Push has been added to your arsenal! Press the special key and either primary fire or alternate fire to use!
  • Melee attacks for all your weapons! Bind the melee/special key to use!
  • A bunch of junk I forgot and can't bother to list!
Known Issues
  • Holding reload on the pistol while empty glitches out the graphic.
Please report any issues you encounter here! Fixes and suggestions graciously accepted![/spoiler]

At the current time, I'm balancing it with co-op in mind, however I see some major deathmatch potential. My question to you guys is: what would you like the future Zandronum version to be centered around? Let me know what you think and thanks for your interest!

Comments? Concerns? Suggestions? Hatred! Let them be known!
Last edited by Marty Kirra on Sun May 25, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lollipop
Zandrone

RE: The Space Pirate

Post by Lollipop » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:41 am

*drool*

This is amasing, I do not really recognise your name, but Ænimas reaction tell me you're the kind of big shot that can get this port rollin'!

I look forward to the release date, I will download Zdoom when your "Little thing" is out ;)

My only concern is if players combos mix up in Coop, but I'm sure that wont happen :P
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

Marty Kirra
New User

Post by Marty Kirra » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Thank you! I've played mostly behind the scenes for the most part and I never was an avid poster in the Skulltag days, that's probably why! I'm not sure if I understand your "combos mix up in Coop" part though. Could you elaborate on that for me? :)

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:58 pm

The short of the matter is that there's always a bit of a delay in online games, which means 0-tic or even 1-tic checks have to be extremely careful or they might get overwritten/mixed up.

That being said, I'm really hoping you can find a way to work around that.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Marty Kirra
New User

Post by Marty Kirra » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Actually I have! The combos actually have pretty flexible timing. I did them fast in the trailer because well...I made it so I know what's there. But there's quite a few buffering frames between the early chains that are forgiving. Even the 10-hit combo at the end there is fairly forgiving if you know how to do it. But hey, we'll see how that pans out. :)

Strych6
Forum Regular

Post by Strych6 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:38 am

Nifty trailer there, good luck & I hope to see it soon. Combos are fun : )

CyborG

Post by CyborG » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:48 am

Nice mod, i think.

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:39 am

Wow that logo and video looks so professional, you must work with something related to video editing and image editor,....
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

Tux
Forum Regular

Post by Tux » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:44 am

This looks astonishing! Good luck. :)
dear diary, tux today was a faggot again[/size]

Marty Kirra
New User

RE: The Space Pirate Neo

Post by Marty Kirra » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:29 pm

Today is the day...again? GET READY FOR ZANDRONUM SPACE PIRACY!

The Space Pirate Neo (Version V.0.1.0 Alpha) HAS BEEN UPLOADED!
Go grab it from the first post!

Thankfully I was able to do this version without the loss of many features! It's practically the same experience, minus the specific weapon bobbing and built-in reload key! Make sure you bind that reload, by the way!

New Features
  • New firing sprites for the Ammobox 50 and the 919m thanks to torridGristle!
  • New sounds for Zeke, the Ammobox50, and the 919m, also thanks to torridGristle!
  • New sound code for the weapons so certain sounds don't cut out thanks to...you guessed it, torridGristle!
  • Fixed a bug where the player would have to reload the Ammobox50 when picked up for the first time. Nice!
Known Issues
  • Holding reload on the pistol while empty glitches out the graphic.
  • Unable to complete any Doom 2 wads that end with an Icon of Sin battle due to the lack of a rocket launcher replacement.
  • Weapons that haven't been replaced have been given temporary ammo and weapon spawns - These will be removed as the mod progresses.
  • The weapon graphics for the pistol and the uzi are slightly too close to the center. This will change once the (G)ZDoom version of the mod hits 0.1.2!
  • The .pk3 is dated wrong, mostly because I did most of the conversion work yesterday. Whoops!
Please report any issues you encounter here! Fixes and suggestions graciously accepted!

While you're at it, you can download the (G)ZDoom version as well! Check that out in the first post, and check the ZDoom Forums for the latest happenings with TSP!
Last edited by Marty Kirra on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

RE: The Space Pirate Neo (V.0.1.0 Alpha Released!)

Post by Untitled » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:26 am

Marty Kirra wrote: The Space Pirate Neo is the Zandronum version which features new weapons, characters, and features exclusively made for you guys! Sweet!
Wait

what

I thought ZDoom was the one with the cool features

How is this possible
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:45 am

Wow! Awesome!

Downloading now. :3
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

jwaffe
Forum Regular

Post by jwaffe » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:31 am

Do you have plans to add other weapons to the pack?

Marty Kirra
New User

Post by Marty Kirra » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:47 am

Yes! This is just an alpha, many more weapons and stuff coming in the future! Sorry if I didn't make that clear! Next update will bring lot's of new goodies!

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:34 am

This almost inspired me to do a similar-but-different mod, heh.

I've played this a bit in 2 player co-op with a friend. For reference, the wad played was Eviltech, early few maps.

What I loved: the melee. It's gorgerous. Especially the telekinesis part. I got to some place I shouldn't be in(was playing vanilla-intended wad with jumps on heh :P) and couldn't come back. And then my friend used telekinesis on me, hurling me back towards the map on mach 10 speed. Brilliant, simply brilliant.

Perhaps there should be some way to telekinesis yourself? Like, shoot some projectile, and if it hits map geometry, it pulls you towards itself? Or dunno.

Also it could be really useful if there would be some button that would display existing combos.

And finally I found myself unable to execute the last combo from list on ZDoom topics(the one with 10 buttons but it doesn't start with telekinesis), no matter how hard I tried.

What I didn't like: virtually every other weapon.

This is a common issue I have with the so-called Weaselverse - the weapons simply do not feel powerful. They feel weak. And slow. And useless. The melee combat is fast and furious - the slow firearms kinda fail to make much sense here. Out of the three weapons done, the only one I could bring myself to use AT ALL is the Ammobox, but then it has a nasty habit of running out of ammo the second I start using it more often than once per 5 minutes.

So yeah. I'm sorry to say this, but I don't really like the mod, but only the absolutely gorgerous melee.

Nevertheless, thanks for the fun provided. I'll keep track of this. Cheers!

Marty Kirra
New User

Post by Marty Kirra » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:47 am

Thank you for your feedback! I'll look into the 10 hit combo, as I'm focusing on the new version for (G)ZDoom, and I haven't had too much time to play around with this one. I'd love more input on the weapons, as the new update coming out soon should speed things up quite a bit. In this next version, I'm introducing Mag Sling. Mag Sling is a new ability that'll allow you to hook onto monsters and players to sling yourself to them, rather than you pulling them to you. There's also going to be a melee specific button on all the weapons, and things should feel much tighter. I do hope you give the mod another try, remember this is only in alpha and things will change dramatically from version to version! Thanks again!

edit: Just checked out the 10 hit combo, it definitely works. I'm not sure what was going on that you couldn't do it, but the timing on the last kick needs to be right after the last punch is thrown.
Last edited by Marty Kirra on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:19 pm

*BUMP*

I have tried this little baby out, and I found it quite fun, the only thing that REALLY bugs me is to see some things that I have seen before mosnter wise. It would be way less annoying with even the smallest of edits done to them.
Other than that I agree with hexadoken about the firearms, they do not feel powerful, perhaps some of that is coming from the weapons sounding like PEA SHOOTERS >.>
I am actually pretty serious, the weapons sounds are way too weak sounding, giving the impression that you are not holding a weapon, but instead running around with a softgun. I have also never felt like taking so long to kill four arachnotrons, it took ages with the zeke to do the job, and hexadoken is right about the ammo consumption of the ammobox-50.
This once again confuse me, it seems the ammo is supposed to be in scarce amounts for the ammobox, but why can you hold 2/3 as many shells as you can machinegun or pistol rounds? Because you are supposed to use it more? And why do practically any ammo pickup give you so much? I feel like all the shotgun shells lying around are taunting me, and trying to spam the weapon to pick them all up do not work either, because the weapon feel so slow I want to rage quit... so I let them taunt me and leave them where they lie...

Lastly, a bug:
The miracle sphere tell you "+250 health", but I only had 200 after picking it up.

EDIT:
I also tried the last combo in the video, and it just refuse to let me land the last kick, which I do not understand, as I press the buttons as quick as I can.
Last edited by Lollipop on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:32 pm

The weapon sounds sounding weak is a issue encountered not just in this mod but in the entirety of what you just called Weaselverse, and has always effed me off. Yeah, I know guns in real life don't exactly explode the crap out of everyone's ears in 25 miles radius when shot, but for me the unrealistic loud bangs have always been preferable in games to rather silent firing. This creates a magical illusion that the weapons are complete crap and led me to believe that they are far weaker than their Doom counterparts, even though once i tried to play the game without melee i realised that the reverse is true.

However, there is one thing which I've also realised about the pistol and shotgun which should be changed. To use them effectively, you need near perfect timing. Press the mouse button on pistol a bit later or earlier than you should, and it will simply not shoot. Press the mouse button on shotgun a bit later or earlier than you should, and it will simply not pump. This makes both of them extremely awkward to use compared to the hold-for-win ammobox and melee with it's considerably more forgiving timing(fucking up timing might break your combo but usually you'll still land at least some hit).

As of right now, switching to pistol or shotgun simply seems to not be worth the effort, since melee is easier to use than both of those and is arguably just as powerful. Ammobox is indeed useful, but ammo for it is sparse and therefore when you really want to use it it's usually empty.

also why the mag sling thing is crossed out i wanted to see dat D:[/size]

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:33 pm

Duuuuuuuude this goes so well with Back To Saturn X.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Marty Kirra
New User

Post by Marty Kirra » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:41 am

Lollipop wrote: I have tried this little baby out, and I found it quite fun, the only thing that REALLY bugs me is to see some things that I have seen before mosnter wise. It would be way less annoying with even the smallest of edits done to them.
Thank you for the feedback! Can't say that any monsters in here are copy/pasted. I've edited every monster currently present myself to some degree.
Other than that I agree with hexadoken about the firearms, they do not feel powerful, perhaps some of that is coming from the weapons sounding like PEA SHOOTERS >.>
I am actually pretty serious, the weapons sounds are way too weak sounding, giving the impression that you are not holding a weapon, but instead running around with a softgun.
Weapon sounds are already getting changed around slightly, but I think this statement is a bit exaggerated. Zeke for instance, sounds like a cannon. But the pistol sounds are different for the next version.
I have also never felt like taking so long to kill four arachnotrons, it took ages with the zeke to do the job, and hexadoken is right about the ammo consumption of the ammobox-50.
This once again confuse me, it seems the ammo is supposed to be in scarce amounts for the ammobox, but why can you hold 2/3 as many shells as you can machinegun or pistol rounds?
Because the mod is in early alpha, and indeed either the first or second version depending on what version numbers you go by, not all the weapons are replaced yet and thus have temporary pickups, spawning random weapons and ammo. Shells just happen to be the more abundant. The AB-50 is quite the beast and indeed is supposed to scarce on the ammo front.
Lastly, a bug:
The miracle sphere tell you "+250 health", but I only had 200 after picking it up.
Fixed already! Thank you though.
EDIT:
I also tried the last combo in the video, and it just refuse to let me land the last kick, which I do not understand, as I press the buttons as quick as I can.
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
The timing on the combos diminish as you get further into the chains, mashing the buttons will only screw up your timing. But yes, it is possible.
HexaDoken wrote: The weapon sounds sounding weak is a issue encountered not just in this mod but in the entirety of what you just called Weaselverse, and has always effed me off. Yeah, I know guns in real life don't exactly explode the crap out of everyone's ears in 25 miles radius when shot, but for me the unrealistic loud bangs have always been preferable in games to rather silent firing. This creates a magical illusion that the weapons are complete crap and led me to believe that they are far weaker than their Doom counterparts, even though once i tried to play the game without melee i realised that the reverse is true.
I realize that I did advertise the mod as being part of the Weaselverse but the mod is only grouped together in terms of story. I've already changed the pistol sound, but I'm not carrying a torch from Diaz or any of the other projects within the 'verse, if that makes any sense. Zeke and the AB-50 sound quite fine, and the AB-50 having a meaty sound was already nixed as it didn't fit.
However, there is one thing which I've also realised about the pistol and shotgun which should be changed. To use them effectively, you need near perfect timing. Press the mouse button on pistol a bit later or earlier than you should, and it will simply not shoot. Press the mouse button on shotgun a bit later or earlier than you should, and it will simply not pump.
Even in the current released build, I don't find that to be true regarding the pistol. The shotgun is less responsive just to balance it out, but it's been tweaked for the upcoming release. The pistol does have a set fire-rate meaning you can't just mash and expected it to shoot every time you hit the button, but it is quite responsive otherwise. Even then, the pistol has also been completely reworked for the upcoming release.
As of right now, switching to pistol or shotgun simply seems to not be worth the effort, since melee is easier to use than both of those and is arguably just as powerful. Ammobox is indeed useful, but ammo for it is sparse and therefore when you really want to use it it's usually empty.
The armor system in TSP encourages close combat so a little bit of that is intentional, but as I've stated above this is only an alpha so the weapon balance isn't all there yet.
also why the mag sling thing is crossed out i wanted to see dat D:
The feature needed to pull it off is only available in (G)ZDoom, unfortunately. Hopefully that will change soon! :)

Thanks again for your feedback! New version coming pretty soon!