What is this "SR-50"?
SR-50, Short for StrafeRun-50, is a straferunning method which utilizes a combination of different keys in order to produce a strafing speed which is faster than normal, but, of course, with its own serveral disadvantages.
Before we go over explaining SR50, let's take a look at SR40, also known as "normal" straferunning:
SR40 is activated by pressing the Strafe left/right key, together with forward/backward. This produces a straferun, which is roughly 25% faster than the normal forward/backward movement. Most of you are probably familiar with this method, as it is pretty simple to set, by simply assigning the strafe left/right controls to any keys you choose.
SR50, on the other hand, is slightly more complicated to activate. It is activated by pressing the strafe left/right, together with forward/backward (similiarly to SR40), together with the Strafe ON key, and the turn left/right key (according to the strafe direction). This produces a straferun, which is roughly 40% faster than forward/backward movement, and 25% faster than normal Straferunning (Hence the "50").
It is common amongst many players, as it gives a speed advantage.
However, please note that while SR50 mode Is activated, you cannot turn (and therefore cannot aim) until the SR50 activation key is released. Thus, effective usage of this method requires practise and adaption.
Having to press so many keys simultaneously can be cumbersome, therefore, we will use a feature in Zandronum called "Key binding", which allows you to assign a command or a combination of commands to one key, therefore making the job easier.
To SR50, you would make a normal straferun as you would do (using the special assigned strafe right/left keys which will be discussed below) and press the +sr button.
How to set up SR-50
After we've gone all through the explanation, setting up the bind is rather easy :
First Step : Open your Skulltag/Zandronum folder, and search for the Configuration Settings file (a notepad symbol with an orange cog next to it, labelled "<Your computer name here>-Skulltag"). You can check the file path by typing whereisini in the console.This is your .ini file. Open it, and go down until you see the Caption [Doom.ConsoleAliases].
Alternatively, the *.ini file is located at:
Code: Select all
Windows XP: C:\Program Files\Zandronum Windows 7 32 bit: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Zandronum Windows 7 64 bit: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Zandronum
Under the caption [Doom.ConsoleAliases], paste the following code :
Code: Select all
Name=+left2 Command=+left; +moveleft Name=-sr Command=turnspeeds 0; -strafe Name=+sr Command=turnspeeds 65536; +strafe Name=+right2 Command=+right; +moveright Name=-right2 Command=-right; -moveright Name=-left2 Command=-left; -moveleft
And make sure to save the file.
Second Step :
Now that we have the Commands in place, we can now bind them. While playing Zandronum, activate the console by pressing ` (Left of the "1" key on the keyboard) and Copy the following, Line by line, and press enter after you have chosen the required key (Note the template) :
Code: Select all
bind <Your straferight key, Usually D or rightarrow> "+right2"; bind <Your strafeleft key, Usually A or leftarrow> "+left2"; bind <The key you assign to activate SR50, I personally use mouse2> "+sr";
- The method I have shown is definitely not the only method which exists for SR50, and many people may perfer and use other methods. However, I think that this method is more practical than, for example, assigning the whole thing into one key which automatically SR50's Right/Left - Not only does my method do essentially the same thing by immidiately giving you the speed boost - it can be quickly disengaged at will to give you an easier time implemeting the method into combat , While keeping a normal Straferun gait.
- The key choice is totally not affixed, and you may choose any key combination you find comfortable!
- At the beginning, you may have a hard time implementing the method into your playing - it is totally normal, and you will see that after a short while, you will have no problem moving from SR50 mode to doing a swingshot at an enemy in a glance!
- This method was posted several years ago by Jenova on the old skulltag forums, and I have decided to reintroduce it again.
- Everytime you play zandronum, before you join the game, quickly press and release the +sr key (due to some bug, the +right2 and +left2 keys make you turn aswell as strafe unless the +sr key is pressed at the beginning of the game.)
EDIT: In order to fix this, copy and paste the following in your autoexec.cfg folder in your skulltag directory :
Code: Select all
+sr wait 1 -sr
- For more detailed information about the mechanics, refer to the Doom wiki link Here.