#Zandronum Rules

Discuss IRC operations here.

Moderator: Wiki Maintainer

Metal
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

#Zandronum Rules

Post by Metal » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:36 am

• No spamming.
    1 warning, 1 kick, 1 day ban. Repeat offenses gain 1 week.
  • Do not mass highlight.
  • No linking to "NSFW", shock sites, "warez", hacks, cracks, "abandonware" and the like.
    Instant one week ban, repeat offenses gain 1 month ban.
  • This channel is English only. Please use other languages in PM or in a separate channel.
    1 warning (Including 1 in the language being spoken), 1 kick, 1 day ban, 2 day, etc.

- This rule has since been repealed. However, spamming in another language will be dealt with accordingly, and there is no guarantee someone else will speak the same language you do.
  • Respect one another and treat others with the respect you'd like to be treated with, if that's not much, respect others anyway.
    1 warning. 1 kick. 1 day ban, 1 week, 1 month.
  • Harassment of any kind (Racism, sexism, discrimination, etc.) will not be tolerated.
  • Do not attempt to evade an existing channel ban.
    Multiple instances of this can result in a G-Line.
  • No constant arguing, trolling, or other hostile behavior. Please take this behavior elsewhere, as it won't be tolerated in #Zandronum
  • Use common sense. As long as you mind your manners and do not act belligerent/arrogant, you should be able to get along fine.
Last edited by Metal on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metal

RE: #Zandronum Rules

Post by Metal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:20 am

I have updated this list to show punishments for each offense. Feel free to discuss.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:51 am

A kick/ban for speaking non-English is sorta harsh. :O
THE MIGHTY HERACROSS

SyKoTiC
Forum Regular

Post by SyKoTiC » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:53 am

It still happens anyway. But I assume the ban is for excessive use. Usually people redirect the foreign language speakers to a channel that allows it. Why #Zandronum doesn't is weird. I have no problem with it, Google translate helps me.
Last edited by SyKoTiC on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being part of this DooM/Port madness since 2006
It's No Use!

XCOPY

Post by XCOPY » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:11 am

Metal wrote:
  • No constant arguing, trolling, or other hostile behavior. Please take this behavior elsewhere, as it won't be tolerated in #Zandronum1 warning. 1 kick. 1 day ban, 1 week, 1 month.
  • Use common sense. As long as you mind your manners and do not act belligerent/arrogant, you should be able to get along fine.
I'm quite happy in seeing the arguing and arrogance being "highlighted" here. I think the community will behave a lot nicer soon.

Good luck.
Spoiler: Slightly off-topic (Open)
I don't really agree with subjects like "staff reforms" being discussed so openly as it happens here, although I'm satisfied with the good fruits it is giving in the policy part of administration. It should be private or in a place "out" of the community (read, The Forum). Such subjects tends to stir up a lot of drama or unnecessarily heated discussions in a bad way, IMO.

And I don't think that the ban reason is of interest to anyone besides the admins and the banned person (read: I don't really agree with IPs banned being open to the public, since it (the IP range) may be a "tool" to stalk people, again, IMO), it should show the reason briefly to the banned user only and give options to contact the admins, in case the ban reason is somehow unclear to the user (and what is a ban if a user don't know what to fix to not get banned again?).
Last edited by XCOPY on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
----===|SOUTH AMERICA RULES|===----

Metal

Post by Metal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:09 am

SyKoTiC wrote: It still happens anyway. But I assume the ban is for excessive use. Usually people redirect the foreign language speakers to a channel that allows it. Why #Zandronum doesn't is weird. I have no problem with it, Google translate helps me.
The staff doesn't want to translate every single thing to make sure someone isn't harassing someone else (And google translate isn't exactly fool proof), spreading malware, hacks, NSFW information or breaking the rules in another language.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:40 pm

Hello, I'm bumping this thread because I would like to discuss this rule:
Metal wrote:
  • Do not mass highlight.
Why are we not allowed to mass highlight the main channel when it comes to playing the game? Mass highlighting for stupid stuff is perfectly understandable, but when people like to post about how the community and game is dying, why should it be difficult to get people to play? Since I am a part of it, Friday Night Fragfest is the biggest weekly event on this port, and even we aren't allowed to highlight to encourage players to play (I once had to get permission from Cyber just to advertise a game with a massive playercount).

Maybe constant mass highlights to come join X's complex doom cooperative might get annoying, but not even large events? These could be anything as well: fnf, sns, suns, tlms, 64 player games (like the idl pub), afts giveaway, etc.

ARGENTVM

Post by ARGENTVM » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Combinebobnt wrote: Hello, I'm bumping this thread because I would like to discuss this rule:
Metal wrote:
  • Do not mass highlight.
Why are we not allowed to mass highlight the main channel when it comes to playing the game? Mass highlighting for stupid stuff is perfectly understandable, but when people like to post about how the community and game is dying, why should it be difficult to get people to play? Since I am a part of it, Friday Night Fragfest is the biggest weekly event on this port, and even we aren't allowed to highlight to encourage players to play (I once had to get permission from Cyber just to advertise a game with a massive playercount).

Maybe constant mass highlights to come join X's complex doom cooperative might get annoying, but not even large events? These could be anything as well: fnf, sns, suns, tlms, 64 player games (like the idl pub), afts giveaway, etc.
I have to agree with Combinebobnt (not just because I'm also an FNF Staffer). I think the ability to mass highlight the main channel for big Zandronum-related events such as the ones Bob mentioned would help vitalize those events and let people know or remind them of an event that is occurring.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:08 pm

I did toy with the idea for a channel bot which users could notify if they want to be highlighed\not-highlighted for these but bot coding is one of those areas where I have jack shit for experience.

As far as mass highlighting goes, I'm not sure what my opinion on it is atm but i'm leaning slightly on avoiding it. I guess it's true that people could just /ignore a bot if it did not have a "subscription" feature like I mentioned above which would nullify any problems someone may have.

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:19 pm

For the channel bot, someone would actually have to make it first.

The root problem is, why should people get mad at being highlighted in the #zandronum channel to play when the channel is for the game in the first place? Talking about random stuff is a secondary side effect, as if the port/game didn't exist, the channel wouldn't. People can go to any irc network like esper or oftc or whatever to talk, but they join this one because they play zandronum. Really, why is encouraging people to play something they are interested in considered a crime?

If anyone is questionable about if this is effective, Skulltag had more mass highlight's in the past, and the channel would always instantly light up with 20 people talking or more. A few highlights were to join a game, and they definitley did increase in player size quickly

Cyber'
Clan: The Professionals
Clan Tag: <PRO>

Post by Cyber' » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:40 pm

That's how the 64 player fnf happened. I'd assume a mass highlight wouldn't be a problem unless it was for a YouTube cat video.
Projects completed : PROCTF, Jump Maze, Tricky ST. RJX.Jump Maze X
Newest Project : Nothing at present.

Jumpmaze X post is here viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9981&p=115929#p115929
I always love these calm moments before the storm...

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:20 pm

My Overbot can do that. So that FNF admins (or any other event admins) will just maintain list of official server IPs (or names) in the bot, and on event admin's command the bot would list official servers at #zandronum (zds:// + server title) and masshl everyone who has subscribed (hostmasks) to said event.

Needs someone from FNF team to tell me if that's needed at all cause as of now people are okay without the bot too :)

P.S. if anything, Overbot is the thing that currently sits at #zandronum and says server titles/game mode/player count by zds links (from master server list). Almost useless.
P.P.S. anyway, wasn't there some obscure thing called fnfbot?
Last edited by ZZYZX on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.