[DEAD] Deathrun

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.

What if 16+ players are playing?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Total votes: 0

Josse

[DEAD] Deathrun

Post by Josse » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Deathrun
by Josse

Current Version: 10
http://static.[bad site]/wads/deathrunv10.wad

Server Status: Dead indefinitely
Deathrun consist of two teams. The Runners, and the Activator. By default, you are thrown in with the runners, and one person is randomly selected to become the activator each round. The runners must make it to the end, while the Activator has to stop them. Runners are timed, so if time runs out, the Activator wins. The whole idea of Deathrun came from Source (CSS, HL, TF2, GMOD), and made its way through the modding community of many other games. I was a huge fan of TF2 Deathrun, and wondered if anyone on this community has made something like it. Since I saw nothing, I decided to give it a try. After a long while of Version, after version, Deathrun for doom finally became pretty popular!
thumbnail

Map Submissions
Final Template Version (Should be!)
http://static.[bad site]/wads/deathruntemplate5.wad
(Minor Fixes, I can add them when you submit)
3D Floors are allowed, custom content is allowed, as long as you delete unused textures when you submit it to me. Some simple Poly Object usage is allowed. They tend to go out of sync (at least from my experience).
This template has two maps: One where two activators are chosen when 16+ Players are playing (MAP02) and one where the win button opens up a 2nd section of the map when 16+ Players are playing (MAP01) You shouldn't need to update your map if you've already started it. But incase you wanna be sure, just throw me a PM.

(MAP01)
Map Extension basically extends the map when a runner reaches the end, and there were 16+ Players in the game. Much more simpler, and easier to incorporate to already existing maps.

(MAP02)
Double Activator is where two activators are chosen when 16+ Players are in-game. The activators have their own unique traps, and should never see each other until they win. When they are the last two alive, the game will warp them to a duel area, where they will battle to see which is the last man standing.

After you're finished, send me a PM and we'll talk further.

Media
thumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnail
Spoiler: Old Pictures (Open)
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
An old version of DeathRun.
Rooster
Developers:
  • Josse
  • dj-jo
Mappers:
  • LordDamager
  • FateLord
  • W1D3A55
  • Noname/Krispy
  • Echo
Your name appears here if your map is accepted!

Beta Testers:
Spoiler: Theres alot (Open)
  • TiberumSoul
  • LordDamager
  • FateLord
  • dj-jo
  • paggigalo
  • TheTruth
  • Spirit
  • kp_centi
  • Vivienne
  • Dr.Robotnik
  • LaserPope
  • Jupi
  • HaxMurderer
  • Jak-M
  • Ness
  • Hugh G. Rection
  • Your Lil/Big Sister
  • Aenima
  • Anima Zero
  • Barney the Dionssaur
  • Enzoo3
  • Thunder
  • Mother of God
  • Dummy
  • Kazuhira Miller
  • Prepper
  • Lightman68
  • Tatara Kogasa
  • Lord of D:
  • Ammar
  • SRT
  • Soriat
  • BloodySoulCube
  • Mytis
  • Sir Juicy
  • Acid Trip
  • Sir Mint
  • Krystal Fox
  • Hegzzz
  • OrangeMario
  • (Hunter) Centuar
  • Yanderelord
  • Aztec Slayer
  • Cyberdemon X0
  • John
Your name appears here if you were at a public beta test!
Last edited by Josse on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W1D3A55
Forum Regular

RE: Deathrun

Post by W1D3A55 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Love playing deathrun. Some of the traps in it are kinda hilarious.

Also, I'd like to make a map for this.

EDIT: Bug on MAP09: you can get stuck on a boulder and not die!
Last edited by W1D3A55 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watermelon wrote: Stall is notorious for his D.
Lollipop wrote: What does ETA mean? I'm sorry, but I don't get too much around on the internet.
For the best song you'll ever hear, click this link
I DARE YOU

dj-Jo
New User

Post by dj-Jo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:12 pm

That's mah bro (:
I'm gonna map for this too when I have the time!
Why have I benn gone for so long? http://www.youtube.com/djjomusicchannel go here lol

Josse

Post by Josse » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:49 pm

W1D3A55 wrote: EDIT: Bug on MAP09: you can get stuck on a boulder and not die!
You need not worry! I replaced the trap with something else. :P
Also, we have a #Deathrun IRC channel. Feel free to report more bugs there.
Current Projects

Dead shit

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Oooh you can map for this? :D

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:13 pm

I'd like to map for this sometime! Great work with the mod, so much fun and creativity!
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Josse

Post by Josse » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:15 am

Catastrophe wrote: Oooh you can map for this? :D
Ivan wrote: I'd like to map for this sometime! Great work with the mod, so much fun and creativity!
You guys can map for this anytime, even right now! Just use the template, and contact me when you're done. We'll beta test it, and see if it needs changes and shiz.
Current Projects

Dead shit

Lord_of_D:
Posts a lot

Post by Lord_of_D: » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:55 am

imo, this needs player limit, cause when theres too many players its really hard being a activator. btw, maybe you shall put some cooldown for the switches, in case of a camper or idk

Josse

Post by Josse » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:10 am

Lord_of_D: wrote: imo, this needs player limit, cause when theres too many players its really hard being a activator. btw, maybe you shall put some cooldown for the switches, in case of a camper or idk
Hmm, I guess I could add a 2nd part to every map, if there's over 16 players, a 2nd part of the map will open up. How does that sound?
Current Projects

Dead shit

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Josse wrote:
Lord_of_D: wrote: imo, this needs player limit, cause when theres too many players its really hard being a activator. btw, maybe you shall put some cooldown for the switches, in case of a camper or idk
Hmm, I guess I could add a 2nd part to every map, if there's over 16 players, a 2nd part of the map will open up. How does that sound?
Or make it so that each trap can be activated more than once if there's more than a certain amount of players.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

W1D3A55
Forum Regular

Post by W1D3A55 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Ænima wrote:
Josse wrote:
Or make it so that each trap can be activated more than once if there's more than a certain amount of players.
Not a good idea. If that happens then the activator could almost spam the traps and the runners would almost never win.

My idea: If there are more than 16 players, 2 activators will be chosen instead of one, and 2 identical portions of the map are opened. If the activators win, then they must try to kill each other (because its still a form of LMS).
Last edited by W1D3A55 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watermelon wrote: Stall is notorious for his D.
Lollipop wrote: What does ETA mean? I'm sorry, but I don't get too much around on the internet.
For the best song you'll ever hear, click this link
I DARE YOU

Josse

Post by Josse » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:13 pm

W1D3A55 wrote:
Ænima wrote:
Josse wrote:
Not a good idea. If that happens then the activator could almost spam the traps and the runners would almost never win.

My idea: If there are more than 16 players, 2 activators will be chosen instead of one, and 2 identical portions of the map are opened. If the activators win, then they must try to kill each other (because its still a form of LMS).
That sounds like a fun idea. I'll throw it in DEATH12 and see how the general public likes it when I get the chance.
Last edited by Josse on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects

Dead shit

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:55 pm

What format are these maps in?

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Josse wrote:
W1D3A55 wrote:
Ænima wrote:
Josse wrote:

That sounds like a fun idea. I'll throw it in DEATH01 and see how the general public likes it when I get the chance.
I like the identical portions of the maps idea but it might be hard to get it to work on some maps. (like the one where you choose which ship explodes, the camera changes on that map) However, you could still give players TIDs depending on which part of the map they are at and that could still be fixed I guess.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Josse

Post by Josse » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Krispy wrote: What format are these maps in?
Skulltag (ZDoom in Hexen format).
Ivan wrote:
Josse wrote:
W1D3A55 wrote:
Ænima wrote: Or make it so that each trap can be activated more than once if there's more than a certain amount of players.

That sounds like a fun idea. I'll throw it in DEATH01 and see how the general public likes it when I get the chance.
I like the identical portions of the maps idea but it might be hard to get it to work on some maps. (like the one where you choose which ship explodes, the camera changes on that map) However, you could still give players TIDs depending on which part of the map they are at and that could still be fixed I guess.
Yeah. Currently, the main activator tid is 999, then I could just check if players are above 16, and puke another script that teleports some one else to become 998. Shouldn't be too much. All I have to do is make copies of each trap.

EDIT: If I'm going to implement this system, I'll have to update the template! Hold on with the maps, I must do so!
Last edited by Josse on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects

Dead shit

Yellowtail
Forum Regular

Post by Yellowtail » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Personally, I think that would be a bit tedious, if not unnecessary. Why? Well, think of it this way: What would happen if only one of the runners gets through and not two? It's still technically one game, but with a second activator and second version of the map.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:04 pm

W1D3A55 wrote:
Ænima wrote:
Josse wrote:
I should have been more clear.

By "activated more than once", I meant just "activated twice".

That would also keep runners on their toes. "Is he going to activate this trap again or is he going to move on to the next one?"
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Josse

Post by Josse » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Yellowtail wrote: Personally, I think that would be a bit tedious, if not unnecessary. Why? Well, think of it this way: What would happen if only one of the runners gets through and not two? It's still technically one game, but with a second activator and second version of the map.
If one gets through, both activators would die. Yes, it'll be quite tedious to code it in with existing maps, but who knows! Maybe it it'll be worth it.

EDIT: Hmm, or maybe AEnima's idea would be better, since its much more simple, and practically the same thing.
Last edited by Josse on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects

Dead shit

Rabbit lord
Forum Regular

Post by Rabbit lord » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:10 pm

Yo, played this last night and it was really addictive (in a good way). Said I'd make a map and am doing so now. What I was wondering though is that this is not really new user friendly. First time being activator I had no clue what any of the switches did and of course ended up losing very quickly. I'd suggest something like a marker to show what each switch does. or at least the area trap is good for.

It's a given most players will figure everything out on their own but this is just an idea. I am including these in my map though ;D

Yellowtail
Forum Regular

Post by Yellowtail » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Josse wrote:
Yellowtail wrote: Personally, I think that would be a bit tedious, if not unnecessary. Why? Well, think of it this way: What would happen if only one of the runners gets through and not two? It's still technically one game, but with a second activator and second version of the map.
If one gets through, both activators would die. Yes, it'll be quite tedious to code it in with existing maps, but who knows! Maybe it it'll be worth it.

EDIT: Hmm, or maybe AEnima's idea would be better, since its much more simple, and practically the same thing.
Here's the catch: One of the maps (forget which) has two sets of mines. How's one supposed to reactivate those traps? (Personally, I think this should just stay as is)

And there's another map that has plasma constantly coming out of the wall at certain intervals. You can't really "reactivate" the trap there.

Oh, and speaking of traps, the rocket trap (not rocket marine trap) in the first map doesn't show a red button like the others do. Plus, it's the only switch where you can't actually walk over once you press it if you do manage to find it.