ZanDronum Doom Live Broadcast Show

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
JaceHall
New User

ZanDronum Doom Live Broadcast Show

Post by JaceHall » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:30 am

Hello,

My name is Jace Hall. I am from the games industry as well as film and television industries.

You can look me up here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0995727/
or just google me.

I have been playing Doom since its release and I personally know the founders of ID Software so I have a big passion for the game!

I have recently created the world's first multi-cam live broadcast interactive channel for gamers in partnership with Twitch.TV and have been putting together some ideas for various programs and events I want to run on the channel.

You can check out the channel at 1337LoungeLive.com it is on 24/7 but the activities happen at various times through the day/night.

The current schedule is evolving but you can see whats coming up here:
http://www.1337LoungLive.com/schedule

Here is a video to kind of show you stuff that has gone on in the channel: http://youtu.be/8nLomdn5-6M

ANYWAY,

I want to create a regular DOOM 2 challenge broadcast using Zandronum as the primary platform and was wondering if the Zandronum community and developers would support this effort in case I had questions.

The idea of the show is very simple:

Once a week, have 4 players come to our studio, and play a survival co-op game together. They only have to play and make it through a single level, but the difficultly settings would be set extremely hard and they would be playing through the hardest maps ever created for Doom 2. Chillax and etc.

So one broadcast would probably last for hours.

If they successfully complete the map, they win big prizes like $5,000 -$10,000 PC gaming systems and such.

The difficulty will be set so high that only the best of the best and serious coordinated co-op play would be REQUIRED to have any chance of making it through at all.

We would have one broadcast a week.

The nature of our multi-cam broadcast is such that a viewer can see ALL of the player's screens (along with the commentator - which would be me) AT THE SAME TIME. So I think it would be pretty cool.

I believe that DOOM is one of those games that anyone can watch and understand what is happening. So I expect a huge audience to be watching the broadcasts. Twitch will likely be advertising our broadcasts on the front page so people will be able to find them.

With this message I wanted to accomplish a couple things:
1.) Get the Zandronum community's thoughts on this idea.
2.) See how many people who play Zandronum are local to our studio (we are in Los Angeles, CA.)
3.) Get in contact with the people in charge of the Zandronum effort and see if there is anything more interesting we can do to make the broadcast special.

It is likely that Zandronum's exposure will be greatly increased by this regular broadcast.

In any case, please let me know what you think.

Zandronum is awesome and I play it all the time!

Jace Hall
Last edited by JaceHall on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lollipop
Zandrone

RE: ZanDronum Doom Live Broadcast Show

Post by Lollipop » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:24 am

1) This idea would be nice, unless the fact that there is (my best guess) only about 2000 people still alive in the whole world who still care for doom (max 6000).
2) with only these few people, and the share of them who actually play zandronum and also are able to play chillax on nightmare difficulty and (most likely) a lot of things just to make it even harder to acoplish the playthrough, there will be roughly 0 people who can help you with this in los angeles.
3) contact is esablished by sending the admins PM's, so you should concider doing that, unless they somehow should find their way to this thread while also trying to keep up to date with the port they are working quite hard on.

other than that, this probably won't work out, but the best bet for players I can think of is Watakid and D'sparil, which both probably will not give much attention to you at all, no matter the prices.

EDIT: A little thing more for point nr. 2): there will max be 10 people world wide that could handle chillax just on nightmare.
Last edited by Lollipop on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:29 am

Once a week, have 4 players come to our studio, and play a survival co-op game together.
4 players from our current community?
It depends on who you choose. But most people are from Europe/Asia. Plus people will not want to drive for hours/days just to get to your studio and do the same thing they would do at home.
Though it is an awesome idea to get some popularity here.
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

Code: Select all

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:32 am

I agree with IdeIdoom, this would probably never work, you would have to make an internet connection for this to work, you could ask a server host like Konar6, as he is one of the best hosts, if not the overall best.
Also, just who would believe that they could get hardware worth 5000 - 10000 $ by playing a damned video game, the thing they do when they are bored and just have gotten home work work?...
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.

> ZMemory
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones

JaceHall
New User

Post by JaceHall » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:43 am

It sounds like I'm going to need to encourage new people to start playing then.

I will work out a deal with ID Software to allow people to download the game and everything for free from their site.

Then they can practice and enter the competition. I will adjust the challenge based on the level of players.

I will set set Chillax on Ultra Violence and not Nightmare but add the HARD DOOM mod.

I think visually it will be very entertaining for people to watch. Especially watching the co-op team try to work together and talk strategy while they play.

Jace

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:59 am

well, you could also try and make up an AOW teamgame show, just a single try could be worth it.
AOW already got a skilled playerbase with a lot of power, the strategy is just a bit.... lacking here and there, but overall I think it could be success with a trry on AOW.

> ZMemory

mifu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:00 pm

This is a good idea, but as already stated, finding people who will do this might be an issue.

Here is an idea on what you could run though. Should hold competitive matches (like DM/CTF) You may get some of our competitive scene into this.

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Watch or commentate on scrims in CTF/TDM or on duels.
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

Code: Select all

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:02 pm

mifu wrote: This is a good idea, but as already stated, finding people who will do this might be an issue.

Here is an idea on what you could run though. Should hold competitive matches (like DM/CTF) You may get some of our competitive scene into this.
I can't see much to that scene mifu, maybe I live in the wrong timezone, so I miss all the good stuff? :G
but I think it's a good idea to bring the competition into this idea, as it would attract a much wider base of players.

> ZMemory

someoneelse
Forum Regular

Post by someoneelse » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:18 pm

Lollipop, hah, I donno about Americans, but I would tottaly made few hundred kilometers trip to win that much $$$ or computers. But yeah, with such hardness of maps, I also think there are very few who can endure that big challenges. (Frankly, when I made a Doom I nightmare server with as vanilla settings as possible, it was a big clusterfuck). And I seriously doubt they'd be all around L.A., at least not for more then one or two recordings (most I can think of aren't even American). I think the problem is, most skillers are into competetive, and coop somehow seems less e-peen lenghtening.
Maybe just using webcam would suffice? Or maybe, being in one place together, but in some kind of own provisorical studio? Novadays getting a broadcast that would not look like shit isn't very costly nor unachievable. I can think of renting internet cafe for a night, or something like this...
Lolipop wrote:Also, just who would believe that they could get hardware worth 5000 - 10000 $ by playing a damned video game, the thing they do when they are bored and just have gotten home work work?...
That's why we probably can ask for some confirmation. Like sending "HI" to us from official Twitter or something...
P.S. Lollipop, IMHO AOW is a bad idea. If people will want to watch because it's Doom, they wouldn't like something that is very, very little Doom, I guess.
Last edited by someoneelse on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shared keys will now be in Zandro! Thanks devs for their work, and users for the support!
<AlienOverlord> Do you have any friends at all
<AlienOverlord> You play Doom

infurnus
Clan: Unidoom
Clan Tag: UD

Post by infurnus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Look who it is! Well, you have my support.
I live near LA but I've been kind of under the weather lately. I might try to join in if I ever get the chance, though.

Good luck with this, people love coop and survival.

EDIT: you might want to fix your link, it should lead to http://www.1337LoungeLive.com/schedule/ but instead links to 1337LoungLive.com
Last edited by infurnus on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 pm

at least the players still look like doom marines :D
but you got a point there, also I don't think people would watch it because it's doom, just because they accidently switched to the channel while it's on and wanna see just what it is :V
I still can't see just how this would end up woring proberly though.

> ZMemory

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:28 pm

there´s more players on all out war, zombie horde, megaman,...
But there´s also players that still play chillax and others vanilla mods...
hmmm chillax is not for my skill even on lowest one :s, maybe something less hardcore like brutal doom + Alien Vendetta?
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:19 pm

You were CEO of Monolith? Nice :) But yeah this should be good.
Last edited by one_Two on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Wish I lived near LA.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:01 pm

This sounds pretty interesting if legit.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Lol you know.. a lot of players here can win that prize on many of the maps in chillax -brb finding 3 teammates- its not the hardest mapset.. now make them play another wad under a time restriction? gg

although like others said probably should let people join online.. people complain about driving to LA are nothing compared to complaining about getting air tickets etc lol
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Tux
Forum Regular

Post by Tux » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Wanna have a real challenge? Choose okuplok's survival and vilerapesas2, it changes monsters to archviles, altho their stats are monster dependant :P
Last edited by Tux on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dear diary, tux today was a faggot again[/size]

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Nevermind, I got the idea of that, Let chillax to the hell :D
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:11 pm

I want to create a regular DOOM 2 challenge broadcast using Zandronum as the primary platform and was wondering if the Zandronum community and developers would support this effort in case I had questions.
I'm all the way behind this, man. Still, I think it would be best to get a whole roster of possible maps--not just the obvious of Chillax and Holy Hell.
The thing is, mods like those aren't always terribly entertaining to watch. At times I've just popped in and watched someone, and it's been a very slow and tedious "pop out, grab one dude to pull him from the rest, 1v1 him, repeat". It's gotten very dull at times.

Still, if you can find a way to seriously mix it up and keep it entertaining to watch, I'm all for it!
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~