SR-50 : Setup Guide

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.
Nati46
Forum Regular

SR-50 : Setup Guide

Post by Nati46 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:40 am

As a result of Jenova's thread being deleted due to the forum switch, due to requests from several people about SR50, and as a way to introduce newer players to higher-level playing, I have decided to create a guide which will assist those who are not familiar with the method to recieve information about it, how it works and how to get it working.

What is this "SR-50"?

SR-50, Short for StrafeRun-50, is a straferunning method which utilizes a combination of different keys in order to produce a strafing speed which is faster than normal, but, of course, with its own serveral disadvantages.
Before we go over explaining SR50, let's take a look at SR40, also known as "normal" straferunning:
SR40 is activated by pressing the Strafe left/right key, together with forward/backward. This produces a straferun, which is roughly 25% faster than the normal forward/backward movement. Most of you are probably familiar with this method, as it is pretty simple to set, by simply assigning the strafe left/right controls to any keys you choose.
SR50, on the other hand, is slightly more complicated to activate. It is activated by pressing the strafe left/right, together with forward/backward (similiarly to SR40), together with the Strafe ON key, and the turn left/right key (according to the strafe direction). This produces a straferun, which is roughly 40% faster than forward/backward movement, and 25% faster than normal Straferunning (Hence the "50").
It is common amongst many players, as it gives a speed advantage.
However, please note that while SR50 mode Is activated, you cannot turn (and therefore cannot aim) until the SR50 activation key is released. Thus, effective usage of this method requires practise and adaption.
Having to press so many keys simultaneously can be cumbersome, therefore, we will use a feature in Zandronum called "Key binding", which allows you to assign a command or a combination of commands to one key, therefore making the job easier.

To SR50, you would make a normal straferun as you would do (using the special assigned strafe right/left keys which will be discussed below) and press the +sr button.

How to set up SR-50

After we've gone all through the explanation, setting up the bind is rather easy :

First Step : Open your Skulltag/Zandronum folder, and search for the Configuration Settings file (a notepad symbol with an orange cog next to it, labelled "<Your computer name here>-Skulltag"). You can check the file path by typing whereisini in the console.This is your .ini file. Open it, and go down until you see the Caption [Doom.ConsoleAliases].

Alternatively, the *.ini file is located at:

Code: Select all

Windows XP:
C:\Program Files\Zandronum

Windows 7 32 bit:
C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Zandronum

Windows 7 64 bit:
C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Zandronum
(credit to Qent for mentioning this)

Under the caption [Doom.ConsoleAliases], paste the following code :

Name=+left2
Command=+left; +moveleft
Name=-sr
Command=turnspeeds 0; -strafe
Name=+sr
Command=turnspeeds 65536; +strafe
Name=+right2
Command=+right; +moveright
Name=-right2
Command=-right; -moveright
Name=-left2
Command=-left; -moveleft

And make sure to save the file.

Second Step :

Now that we have the Commands in place, we can now bind them. While playing Zandronum, activate the console by pressing ` (Left of the "1" key on the keyboard) and Copy the following, Line by line, and press enter after you have chosen the required key (Note the template) :

bind <Your straferight key, Usually D or rightarrow> "+right2";
bind <Your strafeleft key, Usually A or leftarrow> "+left2";
bind <The key you assign to activate SR50, I personally use mouse2> "+sr";
Now, try it out! The advantage of this method is that, while your +sr button is held, SR50 Mode will be active, and when it is released, the +right2 and +left2 keys act as normal strafe keys!

Notes

- The method I have shown is definitely not the only method which exists for SR50, and many people may perfer and use other methods. However, I think that this method is more practical than, for example, assigning the whole thing into one key which automatically SR50's Right/Left - Not only does my method do essentially the same thing by immidiately giving you the speed boost - it can be quickly disengaged at will to give you an easier time implemeting the method into combat , While keeping a normal Straferun gait.

- The key choice is totally not affixed, and you may choose any key combination you find comfortable!

- At the beginning, you may have a hard time implementing the method into your playing - it is totally normal, and you will see that after a short while, you will have no problem moving from SR50 mode to doing a swingshot at an enemy in a glance!

- This method was posted several years ago by Jenova on the old skulltag forums, and I have decided to reintroduce it again.

- Everytime you play zandronum, before you join the game, quickly press and release the +sr key (due to some bug, the +right2 and +left2 keys make you turn aswell as strafe unless the +sr key is pressed at the beginning of the game.)
EDIT: In order to fix this, copy and paste the following in your autoexec.cfg folder in your skulltag directory :

+sr
wait 1
-sr
(Credit for TheShooter7)

- For more detailed information about the mechanics, refer to the Doom wiki link Here.

Have fun! :cool:
Last edited by Nati46 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to know how to run faster? Check this out!

Zandronum Duel Championships

Bloax
Forum Regular

RE: SR-50 : Setup Guide

Post by Bloax » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:43 pm

The problem about this way of doing it is that keyboard players are gonna have a BAD TIME with it.
Due to the fact that keys turn you according to TurnSpeeds, and when they're on 0 - you ought to know what's going to happen.

Nati46
Forum Regular

Post by Nati46 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Bloax wrote: The problem about this way of doing it is that keyboard players are gonna have a BAD TIME with it.
Due to the fact that keys turn you according to TurnSpeeds, and when they're on 0 - you ought to know what's going to happen.
You're right, but I assume that everyone who finds interest in this method uses or would start using a mouse, since I do not know of a practical way to implement this method in a Keyboard-only setting.
Last edited by Nati46 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synert
Forum Regular

Post by Synert » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:57 pm

I tend to just press LAlt with my thumb and use my mouse for turning, since I can very quickly switch by simply releasing LAlt and it means I don't have to deal with a ton of binds.

This is very useful though, thanks for posting it back up.

Qent
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Qent » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Here's what I use. It's probably messier than it should be, but it should work for keyboarders:

// strafe.cfg
// Bitfield keydown_lrsr (left/right straferun): SR50 GORIGHT GOLEFT
// 000 : No keys pressed
// 001 : SR40 left
// 010 : SR40 right
// 011 : SR40 both?
// 100 : SR50 on, movement keys unpressed
// 101 : SR50 left
// 110 : SR50 right
// 111 : SR50 both?

test & $keydown_lrsr 1 +moveleft "-moveleft;-left"
test & $keydown_lrsr 2 +moveright "-moveright;-right"
test & $keydown_lrsr 4 +strafe -strafe
test && & $keydown_lrsr 1 & $keydown_lrsr 4 +left -left
test && & $keydown_lrsr 2 & $keydown_lrsr 4 +right -right

// autoexec.cfg
set keydown_lrsr 0

alias +sr "eval | $keydown_lrsr 4 keydown_lrsr;exec strafe.cfg"
alias -sr "eval & $keydown_lrsr -5 keydown_lrsr;exec strafe.cfg"
alias +left2 "eval | $keydown_lrsr 1 keydown_lrsr;exec strafe.cfg"
alias -left2 "eval & $keydown_lrsr -2 keydown_lrsr;exec strafe.cfg"
alias +right2 "eval | $keydown_lrsr 2 keydown_lrsr;exec strafe.cfg"
alias -right2 "eval & $keydown_lrsr -3 keydown_lrsr;exec strafe.cfg"
EDIT: Actually on second thought, why would keyboard players even need fancy binds? They have two hands available to press buttons, so just use the ordinary 4/5-button combo.
Last edited by Qent on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nati46
Forum Regular

Post by Nati46 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Synert wrote: I tend to just press LAlt with my thumb and use my mouse for turning, since I can very quickly switch by simply releasing LAlt and it means I don't have to deal with a ton of binds.

This is very useful though, thanks for posting it back up.
That is a nice way to have a little speed boost without having to come up with any binds - the technique I use, however, does not require any movement of the mouse, and instantly boosts you to full speed.
Thanks for bringing it up though, I do use that method in Odamex (for which I could not find a suitable SR50 bind)

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:51 pm

My setup is one key SR50

A and D are strafe left and right

Q is SR50 left, E is SR50 right, and W is use/open...
Advantage is it's on one key and I don't have to hold down two (and the key is right under it). Also advantageous if you do rolling arpeggios on the guitar because you can easily roll up and down to emulate disabling SR50, but some people who want more control should go with the OP.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:17 am

Made this into an important thread, also any other posts with info/setups is welcome.

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:40 pm

By the way, you can forgo having to press +sr once when you join a game to fix your turning, by putting the following into an autoexec.cfg file in your skulltag folder:

+sr
wait 1
-sr

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Here is a wad that you can just stick in your skins folder, then go into the controls menu and the controls will always be there... I've had it for so long I'm not sure where it came from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DevilutioN

Post by DevilutioN » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 pm

Synert wrote: I tend to just press LAlt with my thumb and use my mouse for turning, since I can very quickly switch by simply releasing LAlt and it means I don't have to deal with a ton of binds.
Done it this way (but using mouse2) ever since I started using SR50
<+FishSeller> DevilutioN has quit IRC ["Aye fuck you mang™!"]
<+FishSeller> BEST quit irc message EVER !
----
<@Hybrid> Rofl, he said to me "It was a social experiment"
<+Bleant> He does that social experiment again, he'll experience my dick up his hole
----

ZzZombo
Forum Regular

Post by ZzZombo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:18 am

A version of that WAD that allows toggle SR50. It is required in order to use this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/943 ... Toggle.wad.
Last edited by ZzZombo on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ermac

Post by Ermac » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:46 am

Nati46 wrote:
- Everytime you play zandronum, before you join the game, quickly press and release the +sr key (due to some bug, the +right2 and +left2 keys make you turn aswell as strafe unless the +sr key is pressed at the beginning of the game.)
In case you don't know, that's because Skulltag (Zandronum) set turnspeeds to 640 (by default) each time you run it.
Last edited by Ermac on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
'sSs' Ermac ~ "Wasteland is harsh" (FOnline2 quote)

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:24 am

A bit fixed version of Nati's code.
Advantages:
1. Forget about pressing SR50 key every time you join a server (yes you can fix it with +sr/wait 1/-sr, but that's lame hack).
2. Doesn't fuck up your turnleft/turnright keys (see "turnspeeds 640" command in code below in case you use nonstandard speed).
3. Doesn't look like terrible mess (see Qent's code).

Name=-sr50left
Command=test = 1 1 "-moveleft; -left"
Name=-sr50
Command=set sr50_on 0; turnspeeds 640; -strafe; test = 1 1 "-left; -right"
Name=+sr50left
Command=test = $sr50_on 1 "+left; +moveleft" "+moveleft"
Name=-sr50right
Command=test = 1 1 "-moveright; -right"
Name=+sr50
Command=set sr50_on 1; turnspeeds 65536; +strafe
Name=+sr50right
Command=test = $sr50_on 1 "+right; +moveright" "+moveright"
By the way. You should have noticed "test = 1 1 ..." lines. If I directly call "-moveleft; -left", it just doesn't work (i.e. game behaves as if I didn't release the key).
Last edited by ZZYZX on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nati46
Forum Regular

Post by Nati46 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:20 pm

I have recently changed to windows 7 and I can't seem to find the ini file! Anybody have an idea?

katZune
Forum Regular

Post by katZune » Sat May 25, 2013 4:48 pm

hm, try in the appdata? i have win7 and my ini is in the zandronum folder
Whitout a good PC ATM, i will back when 2.0 come out, :)
Spoiler: The True (Open)
Ijon Tichy wrote:
Catastrophe wrote: Banned on grandvoid for trolling Zombie Horde and all out war (blocking, destroying my own base, etc)
Kicked from El Zoido's all out war for nuking our teams base
Kicked again from el Zoido's server for fucking up the warfactory so bad that mechs couldn't spawn anymore
I see no offenses here

only justice

Qent

Post by Qent » Sat May 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Try
skyrimguy wrote: The *.ini file is located at:

Windows XP:
C:\Program Files\Zandronum

Windows 7 32 bit:
C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Zandronum

Windows 7 64 bit:
C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Zandronum

What is Application Data Folder in Windows 7

Nati46
Forum Regular

Post by Nati46 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:58 pm

Thanks - updated thread accordingly
Last edited by Nati46 on Sat May 25, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konar6

Post by Konar6 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:30 pm

The best way to find your ini file is to type whereisini in the console.
Ijon Tichy wrote:I like how your first responses to concerns being raised was to start insulting people, accusing random people on the Internet of being Shadowfox, and digging up irrelevant shit from the past. It really inspires confidence in me that you guys are level-headed and rational folks.

<BlueCool> you guys IQ is the same as my IP, Dynamic

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:01 am

Might be considered a bump, might not, but to fix the "have to press +sr key every time" might be because of turnspeeds resetting to default every time Z& is booted up.

Have turnspeeds 0 in your autoexec.cfg to force it off as Z& is starting to prevent this.
Last edited by Medicris on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.