Polished Skull (Beta 1 WIP 4)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Minigunner

Polished Skull (Beta 1 WIP 4)

Post by Minigunner » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Polished Skull
As you may know, this mod is about polishing gameplay and visual aspects of Doom and its derivatives, while bunching in the Skulltag weapons, monsters, and items for good measure. Here are some of the unique features of Polished Skull:
  • Super-Interpolated Weapons (oh so original), though there are frames that I made before hearing of Perkristian.
  • Blood and Gore (also oh-so-original), but with more thought (and some roflphysics) put into it.
  • Critical Hitboxes (oh so- whatever). For now they are limited to zombies and imps (their heads, specifically). Only when idle or attacking can these hitboxes be... hit, and the damage dealt is doubled.
  • Visual Enhancements (of course), or rather, a strategically-placed mixture of vanilla-style and PNG effects. Also, monsters move more smoothly without changing their attack frequency.
  • Very, very subtle changes to the color palette.
  • Fatalities- nope, just kidding. :razz: If you want, you can just berserk-punch a zombieman's or shotgunner's head.
  • New gameplay elements, such as weapon altfires, recoil, numerous Damage Types, and the aforementioned hitboxes.
  • Archvile is now in the health level of a Miniboss! However, he can still be taken down by a BFG attack, and he is weak against the Chainsaw and Super Shotgun. I may muck around with it more.
  • Mod Patches will be available in the near-future, specifically for mods like Dynamite DM, Delta Invasion, IGPack, and the like.
Spoiler: The Arsenal: (Open)
Fists:
Ah, the good old spiked brass knuckle. Perfect for stunning, or in the case of the Berserk powerup, knocking heads off of shoulders and sending Hellspawn flying.
Chainsaw:
Double the stun-ability, same entrail-blending potential. It is recommended to turn it off or you will blow your cover.
Pistol:
The pistol is now Semi-Automatic, but it quickly loses accuracy. Its Automatic rate of 150 BPM is enough for near-pinpoint accuracy. The 3-round Burst-Fire can make quick work of a group of zombies.
Shotgun:
As real-life shotguns are, this one is incredibly accurate, and there is more damage at point-blank range. However, its recoil is on the powerful side, so be careful with where you're standing.
Super Shotgun:
The Super Shotgun is the above shotgun on Super-steroids. The point-blank damage is immense, and the recoil is enough to launch you in the air, similarly to a rocket-jump. Said recoil is disabled if you are not allowed to jump.
Chaingun:
The Chaingun has a short wind-up and wind-down delay, but that can be negated with the long-lasting and quickly-charging idle-spin mode.
Minigun:
The Minigun's wind-down stage can now be interrupted, but there is also a spin-up delay that is longer than the Chaingun. Alternatively, the gun can fire a spin-up barrage of 8 rounds with almost no recoil, then fire at full speed.
Rocket Launcher:
There's not much different about the gun itself, but the rocket accelerates to 1.6 times the launch speed after a short delay.
Grenade Launcher:
The grenades can either bounce at a slow speed or act as mortars at a higher speed.
Plasma Rifle:
Aside from the standard plasma-ball firing (which has a speed upgrade and radiates a little on impact), there is a plasma torch function that vaporizes flammable objects. Also, there is an anti-overheat system, so make sure you don't rush into danger expecting the thing to fire forever...
Railgun:
There's nothing different about the Railgun aside from a change of reloading system and an on-sprite round counter.
The BFG9000:
A concentrated plasma bombarder that fires a conglomeration of a highly-destructive plasma orb, in-flight and at-explosion electron rays, and superheated radiation ("Don't breathe this!").
The BFG10000:
The BFG10K now fires hyper-speed explosive plasma balls instead of hitscan explosions. Don't expect to snipe with this, though, as it loses accuracy very, very quickly.
Spoiler: Now for obligatory screenshots (more of an archive, really): (Open)
^ DISCLAIMER: Current version does not include these.
Beta 1 (named so because of its conversion to PK3 format and now for its migration to Zandronum) will be available when it is ready. Also, I will put more info on this page. For now, here are links to VA version 4.1, the last Skulltag version:
MediaFire link
DevilHunter mirror

And here is the latest WIP version.
You might wanna gather some extra files from here as well.
As of WIP3, the Skulltag stuff is completely separate from the main pack, and the mod is compatible with (G)ZDoom. There's also a "net-friendly" patch that makes gibs unshootable and reduces the existing time for blood and gibs. The monster multiplier patches got an update too.
Last edited by Minigunner on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theshooter7 wrote:Also, to all those people who stack players for exploits: I hate you. Do I really need to seal off every inch of every map to prevent you from getting to places you shouldn't?

mr fiat
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

RE: SPDoom (VA version 4.1)

Post by mr fiat » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:03 pm

looks good, good luck with the project ;)

katZune
Forum Regular

Post by katZune » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:47 pm

nice! the screenshot 4 and 5 looks awesome

ALIENwolve

Post by ALIENwolve » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:35 pm

I really like how you've implemented blood trails; it looks very natural.

Minigunner

RE: Polished Skull (VA version 4.1)

Post by Minigunner » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Well how could I have forgotten that I had three videos showcasing some rather mundane features of this mod?
[spoiler]
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
phpBB [video]
phpBB [video]
[/spoiler]
NOTE: Gameplay experience can be different as of Beta 1.
Most notably, the gibs.
[spoiler]Image
This was an Instagib bot-match, BTW.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Minigunner on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theshooter7 wrote:Also, to all those people who stack players for exploits: I hate you. Do I really need to seal off every inch of every map to prevent you from getting to places you shouldn't?

Zanieon
Forum Regular

Post by Zanieon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Who needs Havok when we have Decorate haha

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:24 pm

After barrels explode, they seem to leave some sort of tiny invisible lump which produces the smoke. This usually isn't a problem as you can walk over them, but in rooms with low ceilings, like the one room in MAP02 with all the barrels, they would be enough to stop you from advancing.

Also picking up chainguns add to the percentage counter of the chaingun you have, whether it's currently being wielded or not.

So far so good though, I like the new muzzle flashes and I hope you add them to the plasma rifle and rail gun as well.

Minigunner

Post by Minigunner » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:45 pm

Whoops, I bumped.
phpBB [video]
After 5 months of hiatus (mostly playing Minecraft), I decided to resume work on Polished Skull. I haven't done a lot yet (the two biggest changes so far were flashes to the Plasma Rifle and Rocket Launcher, and a new animation and mortar alt-fire for the Grenade Launcher).
Speaking of flashes:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
And if you wanna know, there is no correlation with the Brutal Doom controversy.

Okay, maybe a little.
Last edited by Minigunner on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W1D3A55
Forum Regular

Post by W1D3A55 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:31 am

Nice looking mode you've got there. Love the effects and new sprites to it all. Keep it up!

Possible suggestion: an Altfire for the BFG9K that sorta acts like the plasma gun in that it shoots out green plasma bolts, but in a spray and at a rapid rate of fire.
Watermelon wrote: Stall is notorious for his D.
Lollipop wrote: What does ETA mean? I'm sorry, but I don't get too much around on the internet.
For the best song you'll ever hear, click this link
I DARE YOU

Minigunner

Post by Minigunner » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:31 am

Actually, I was planning to make the alt-fire the BFG2704, but blue plasma is included. The difference between these projectiles and the ones to be used is that they will be unable to bounce off of floors and ceilings. Also, red plasma will have 4 damage, blue plasma the original 5, and green plasma 6.

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:14 am

Boy, if you could keep Doom the same at its core but update the visuals and dynamics, this would be my first pick. Absolutely beautiful, yet fitting effects. I wouldn't mind playing some PVP with this.

The ST-style four-shot railgun isn't my cup of tea, but it's faithful to its source so what does my opinion matter there. Keep 'em coming!

Lord_of_D:
Posts a lot

Post by Lord_of_D: » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:51 pm

it lags/fps drop? D:

Minigunner

Post by Minigunner » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Medicris wrote: Boy, if you could keep Doom the same at its core but update the visuals and dynamics, this would be my first pick. Absolutely beautiful, yet fitting effects. I wouldn't mind playing some PVP with this.

The ST-style four-shot railgun isn't my cup of tea, but it's faithful to its source so what does my opinion matter there. Keep 'em coming!
Yes, there are some gameplay changes, but I am actually starting the lessen the differences between this and vanilla (save for a few specific elements). Even then, I may provide a visuals-only version, with pretty much no change in gameplay.
As for the railgun, there may be some changes to it.
Lord_of_D: wrote: it lags/fps drop? D:
You'd only have to worry about mass-spawned particles, such as smoke and flame actors. Gibs may also cause lag in big numbers, but I'm trying to create a purge function similar to SST's (I don't know the code to it, and I don't want to use it myself, unless he is okay with it).
EDIT: Well, since gibs are shootable non-clientsided objects, they can only be purged by someone who controls the server; thankfully, the actors do not take much bandwidth until at least 20 monsters are gibbed in this way. Some other effects, such as blood, will be able to be purged by the client.
Last edited by Minigunner on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minigunner

Post by Minigunner » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Holy update, Batma- *slapped* :mad:
phpBB [video]
Here, have some animations of the original weapons. In no order whatsoever, because I don't feel like firing at nothing while cycling weapons.

Minigunner

Post by Minigunner » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:48 am

Welp, I couldn't be bothered with any more work for now, and I don't really know what else to do atm.
Here, have a WIP for Beta 1.

Includes:
Base File
Texture Mod for Doom 1 and Doom 2 (for Doom 2, load both)
Monster Multiplier (5x and 10x); Map-spawned lost souls tend to go warp speed when attacking from their spawn point, however.
Dynamite DM patch
Delta Invasion patch (Incomplete; modifies some monsters.)

Notes:
- Some Skulltag monsters are not modified much.
- The Railgun has a very white flash for now, primarily because it's unfinished. I intend to add colored flashes to it eventually.
- There may be various online-only bugs or even offline bugs I may not have spotted or have been able to. :hmm:
- There is a DECORATE version of ZDoom particles in the works. Try it out by summoning "[White|Silver|Grey|Black|Red|DarkRed|BrightRed|Orange|BrightOrange]TestParticle".
- Since there are some modifications to the weapon attacks and such, please let me know if there are any imbalances in competitive modes (If anyone could host any servers).
- The torch flames may look a little off-color right now, as it has translucent rendering (e.g. the core of the red torch is more orange).

Please give suggestions, report bugs, or just compliment. :razz:
Last edited by Minigunner on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qent
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Polished Skull (Beta 1 WIP 1)

Post by Qent » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Weird bug I mentioned on IRC: online only, when you kill a Hell Knight (and who knows what else), their blood just sits on the ground forever killing your FPS until you reconnect to the server. It only happens with green blood splats for some reason.

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:41 am

ImageImage
Gosh am I tired of how the fingers look in those two frames.

Oh, and have a smashier SSG sound.

For best effect add two lines to the SSG weapon:

Code: Select all

SSGN A 0 A_ZoomFactor(0.975,ZOOM_INSTANT)
		SSGN A 0 A_PlaySound("weapons/sshotf",CHAN_AUTO) //The new sound
		SSGN A 0 A_PlaySound("weapons/ssgbg",CHAN_AUTO,0.5) //The old (i.e. current) sound
		SSGN B 0 A_FireBullets(5.6, 0, 4, 8, "PelletHit",0,64)
		SSGN B 1 A_FireBullets(11.2, 7.1, 20, 4, "PelletHit",1,1536)
Last edited by Bloax on Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Kennon Conrad"]Dear LawCounsels,
To prove your compressor works, I suggest you try it on your posts and then post only the result.

We all know an ideal lossy compressor would output 0 bytes for your posts, so see if you can beat that.

Have a nice day.[/quote]

CyborG

Post by CyborG » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Very nice! thats all...

CyborG

Post by CyborG » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:21 pm

I think need thing, after shooting need falls shell. and fix torches... and then mod will be AWESOME!

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:04 pm

CyborG wrote: I think need thing, after shooting need falls shell. and fix torches... and then mod will be AWESOME!
Ehhhh. Might as well add bullet/shell casings, I guess. I was pretty much guilted into adding them into Super Skulltag (even though I didn't want to at first), but I realized it wouldn't really hurt anything. Players who want to see them will appreciate them, and players who don't really care will ignore them since they're in EVERY other mod (and videogame) anyways and don't really draw much attention.

At the end of the day, it's Minigunner's choice to add casing FX ... but PLEASE don't use those horrible lo-fi "casing" sounds that every single Doom mod copy+pastes. They sound nothing like actual casings hitting the floor and they overlap terribly ingame.

@Cyborg:
By the way, you can edit your posts with that "Edit" button at the bottom right of your post. You don't need to double post.
Last edited by Ænima on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community