Server Not Showing up on Doomseeker

General help and assistance forum.
PortalFreak996

Server Not Showing up on Doomseeker

Post by PortalFreak996 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:59 pm

It's a commonly mentioned problem on the forums, but I got me some problems with hosting a public server.

Every time I do it, it doesn't show up on Doomseeker. It shows the IP, but it shows <NOT RESPONDING> every gosh darn time!

I can join the server myself, but I don't think anyone else can. What can I do to solve this?

PortalFreak996

RE: Server Not Showing up on Doomseeker

Post by PortalFreak996 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Bump for help.

someoneelse
Forum Regular

Post by someoneelse » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:59 pm

forward your ports
it was on forums over 9000 times
0. check if you have a router and not NAT or dialup or something
1. windows-r, cmd, ipconfig
2. find gateway ip and write it in browser, remember your own IP too
3. find default login and password to your router, or try admin admin, admin empty, empty empty, etc
4. find port forwarding, forward yourip:10666 to external 10666
5. hurray

edit
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1729 post just below yours
if you're so lazy you don't want to do a minimal effort, why do you want people to make effort for you? :(
Last edited by someoneelse on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shared keys will now be in Zandro! Thanks devs for their work, and users for the support!
<AlienOverlord> Do you have any friends at all
<AlienOverlord> You play Doom

Konar6
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Konar6 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:00 pm

someoneelse: sorry but that's rather vague help for someone who has no idea what NAT and port forwarding is.

First, Portal is behind a router with NAT, the router is NAT, it's doing network address translation and that's the reason why he can't host servers without port forwarding (unless it's his ISP doing the NAT or he doesn't have access to the router, in which case he would be unable to host servers on his PC).

Portal:
Note: steps 2 to 4 are performed differently on each type of router. Consult your router manual or visit http://portforward.com if you can't find how to do the task in your router.
2. find gateway ip and write it in browser, remember your own LOCAL IP too (it starts with 10.*.*.* or 192.168.*.*)
3. find default login and password to your router, or try admin admin, admin empty, empty empty, etc
4. find port forwarding, forward port 10666 UDP to the LOCAL IP you obtained from ipconfig
5. hurray

We really need a thread or wiki page with full and comprehensive help on hosting servers behind NAT.
(someoneelse volunteers? or someone else?)
Ijon Tichy wrote:I like how your first responses to concerns being raised was to start insulting people, accusing random people on the Internet of being Shadowfox, and digging up irrelevant shit from the past. It really inspires confidence in me that you guys are level-headed and rational folks.

<BlueCool> you guys IQ is the same as my IP, Dynamic

PortalFreak996

Post by PortalFreak996 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Konar6 wrote: someoneelse: sorry but that's rather vague help for someone who has no idea what NAT and port forwarding is.

First, Portal is behind a router with NAT, the router is NAT, it's doing network address translation and that's the reason why he can't host servers without port forwarding (unless it's his ISP doing the NAT or he doesn't have access to the router, in which case he would be unable to host servers on his PC).

Portal:
Note: steps 2 to 4 are performed differently on each type of router. Consult your router manual or visit http://portforward.com if you can't find how to do the task in your router.
2. find gateway ip and write it in browser, remember your own LOCAL IP too (it starts with 10.*.*.* or 192.168.*.*)
4. find port forwarding, forward port 10666 UDP to the LOCAL IP you obtained from ipconfig
5. hurray

We really need a thread or wiki page with full and comprehensive help on hosting servers behind NAT.
So, if my Local IP ended in say, 123, I'd replace the last 3 numbers in the box with those numbers?

And I also click the box that says "Enable" on it, right?

someoneelse
Forum Regular

Post by someoneelse » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:36 am

It's different on every router but if you have a tab called port forwarding, a box for your local IP and a box to enable it (you have Thompson router, right?) you can safely assume this is it.

[quote="Konar6"]First, Portal is behind a router with NAT, the router is NAT, it's doing network address translation and that's the reason why he can't host servers without port forwarding (unless it's his ISP doing the NAT or he doesn't have access to the router, in which case he would be unable to host servers on his PC).
[/quote]

Sorry, was using thought shortcut :( Of course I meant a provider doing the NAT, I was in such situation for a long time and this experience was so painful that my brain tries to make me skip thinking of it, and I start to type as short as I can to avoid flashbacks and anxiety attacks.

[quote="Konar6"]We really need a thread or wiki page with full and comprehensive help on hosting servers behind NAT.
(someoneelse volunteers? or someone else?) [/quote]
it was the right someone else
Last edited by someoneelse on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shared keys will now be in Zandro! Thanks devs for their work, and users for the support!
<AlienOverlord> Do you have any friends at all
<AlienOverlord> You play Doom

LordKaizen
Registered just to make one post

Post by LordKaizen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 pm

I've been having this very same issue, so I posted in this thread instead of making a new one. I hope the moderators appreciate that!

Anyway, I've been trying to play Doom with a friend. I tried creating a server, had the very same issues described here (I can join my server but neither of us can see it being displayed in Doomseeker). I had her try to start a server. Same issues.

Now, I have a router and I think she is behind one as well. But I been having trouble getting my router's setup software to work right for me, so I just disconnected my router and plugged in the cable from my modem directly into my computer. So router bypassed. I disabled my firewall and antivirus as well. But, nevertheless, I was still having the same issues.

Shouldn't that have done the trick though? I have also read somewhere that it might also be an issue with one of Doomseeker's/ Zandronum's files having to be edited, but I can no longer find the source of where I read that from.
Last edited by LordKaizen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr fiat
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by mr fiat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:26 pm

Konar6 wrote: someoneelse: sorry but that's rather vague help for someone who has no idea what NAT and port forwarding is.

Portal:
5. hurray

would be nice since I'm a rather odd situation, I have set a static IP, I have forwarded my ports and when I host I DO get launcher challenge. yet no one can see my server.

Konar6
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Konar6 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:32 pm

LordKaizen: does the server show up in your browser if you add its IP:port into custom servers when the other party (your friend?) hosts?

mr. fiat: do you get many launcher challenges from random IPs, or is it just you trying to refresh the server locally?
Ijon Tichy wrote:I like how your first responses to concerns being raised was to start insulting people, accusing random people on the Internet of being Shadowfox, and digging up irrelevant shit from the past. It really inspires confidence in me that you guys are level-headed and rational folks.

<BlueCool> you guys IQ is the same as my IP, Dynamic