Christmas Extravaganza Map Pack 2013 New Patch!

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
mytis
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Christmas Extravaganza Map Pack 2013 New Patch!

Post by mytis » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:34 am

The
Christmas Extravaganza Map Pack '13

The Christmas Extravaganza Map Pack started in 2010 as a set of Skulltag deathmatch levels with Christmas graphics. In the years since, it has grown to include a single-player competitive campaign and its own little twists on Doom’s gameplay. Our current set of maps are for deathmatch and deathmatch-compatible gamemodes (Last Man Standing, Terminator, etc.).

The project has been carried on over the past three years by a small, ever changing team of mappers and coders who’ve built on and improved the project, starting in August to release a new update in December. We hope to return year after year to improve the pack and provide a unique, fun experience to Zandronum on Christmas!

• Made in Doom II for Zandronum
  • Requires skulltag_actors.pk3 & skulltag_data.pk3 as resources
  • Designed for: Singleplayer Campaign & Multiplayer
Spoiler: Guidelines for mappers (Open)
General:
  • Make sure the map plays well in Deathmatch mode with 4-24 players.
  • The theme should be Christmas (obviously), but not necessarily winter (if you want space or the southern hemisphere, for instance) -- naturally many of the existing resources also assume snowy weather.
  • Detail should be high to moderate: make it pretty without killing FPS.
Compatibility:
  • This project is for Zandronum: you do not have to worry about compatibility with other ports.
  • Please keep it software compatible (e.g. nothing too dark, no sloped 3-D floors, no more 3-D floors than SW can handle).
  • We would like maps to be bot-friendly for the singleplayer campaign, but it is not a priority.
  • Jumping will be enabled, but crouching will not.
Resources:
  • Use anything you want in skulltag_data.pk3 and CEMP12_v1.2.pk3.
  • You may add your own textures, things, music, etc., but don't go overboard.
    • Also please include credits so we don't have to go on a scavenger hunt for them.
Spoiler: Other (Open)
Consider having an "anomaly"; see CMP01's ACS for a good example.
Spoiler: Servers (Open)
Spoiler: Screenshots (Open)

Spoiler: Gameplay (Open)
A few of the weapons and powerups have been altered:

Fist
Attack speed is slightly increased, both with and without berserk
strength.

Chainsaw
Now three times as powerful as before, the Chainsaw also drives the
wielder ahead whenever it is used.

Pistol
The pistol is now more accurate and twice as powerful as before, making
it a viable weapon in a pinch, although not ideal.

Minigun
Accuracy is greatly reduced, making the minigun more of a close-range
weapon. It also takes a moment to get up to speed, so the initial shots
are slower, albeit more accurate.

Rocketlauncher
In addition to their explosive effect, rockets leave a deadly patch of
flames for anyone foolish enough to remain in the area. These flames
can injur the firer as well, so beware!

Grenadelauncher
In addition to their explosive effect, grenades explode into a spray of
shrapnel that can bounce around a room. Unlike the rockets' fire, this
shrapnel does not harm the shooter.

Freezerifle
This new weapon is similar to a plasmarifle, but fires slower for more
damage per shot. It will freeze anything in its arc, but look out for
ice-resistant enemies!

Cryo-railblaster (Railgun replacement)
The railblaster is a powerful single-shot gun firing frozen slugs that
penetrate multiple targets with ease. The first target in each slug's
path will also suffer an icy detonation. The slug will pierce armor
unaffected; the explosion will not. You can fire the railblaster at the
ground to "railjump," but be careful not to freeze yourself!

BFG9000
The BFG is mostly unchanged, but the projectile leaves tiny explosions
in its wake. They're probably not enough to kill anything, but they
will wear you down if you run forwards while firing.

BFG10k
The 10k's rate of fire is reduced, and its hitscan was changed to a
projectile. Each shot eats twenty cells instead of five.

Berserk pack
Once you switch to fist, you'll run 20% faster and jump twice as high.
Picking up berserk won't automatically switch to fist, though.

Fury
???

Bite
???

Firebreath
???

Additionally, all weapons switch twice as fast, unless the server has
the "sv_cemp_nofastswitch" CVar set.
Spoiler: Downloads (Open)
- This year's releases -
2013 CEMP12 patch -- cemp12u13v3

- Past releases -
cemp12 final 1.2: CEMP12_v1.2
cemp12 final 1.0: CEMP12_v1.0, CEMP12_v1.1patch

cemp12 beta: CEMP12_beta1.3
cemp12 indev: Resource v0.24, Map v0.31

CEMP11 (2011 release), CEMP11-noJolt (Optional patch to disable jolts from weapons.)
CEMP10 (Initial 2010 release)
Spoiler: CEMP Dev Team (Open)
MytiS - Sprites, Level Design, ACS, Decorate
Qent - Level Design, ACS, Decorate

- Level Designers -
PUN1SH3R - Logo design
Remmirath
Tib
Jroc
Joseph Hicks
Keo
Kamai
W1D3A5S

- Contributors -
Mando - Project Initiator
TheMisterCat - Sounds, Graphics
Pottus - ACS
Dusk - ACS, Decorate
Goliath - Testing

Further credits available in wadinfo lump.
Last edited by mytis on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

mifu
Clan: Demon RiderZ

RE: Christmas Extravaganza Map Pack 2012

Post by mifu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:36 am

Awesome!

This should be worth playing on xmas day.

But yes the maps look great

Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:30 pm

This is the real Christmas map pack people, unlike those other posers. :wink:

Misha
New User

Post by Misha » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:20 am

Deck the halls with rocket launchers, fa-la-la-la-la... whatever.

People of Zandronum, prepare to have your balls rocked by this awesome map pack.

mytis

Post by mytis » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:50 am

Hello. The reason we decided to put this thread up before the project is released is because this is an on going project, key word 'project'. Every stage of development (done each year) is built upon the last. This year, we've correcting lots of mistakes and poor game design decisions which held back the project in the past. Among these is the jolt system, a variety of dynamic scripts which basically jolts a players screen when they're damaged, to mimic a realistic pain response, which I know personally, ended up pissing a lot of people off, which is why a patch was put out to disable it for those who wanted to do so. Part of the problem was that we didn't have enough time to properly test and tweak it so it could be an asset, not an inconvenience.

This year we recoded the jolt system to make it more flexible, and minimized its usage mainly to melee weapons to give them an advantage which does not involve damage dealt. Also, the jolt system no longer makes the game unplayable for player who don't use a mouse; the script will only jolt on the horizontal axis if this is the case, to prevent their aim from being messed up.

We have carefully tweaked what we have already in the project as well as the new content (of which there is quite a lot) to make sure that when this is released, that it is thoroughly playable and enjoyable for everyone. We've got new weaponry, such as the cryo-rail blaster and a flaming-rocket rocket launcher. Maps have also been cleaned up and improved so they play and run better. The anomaly system, for those of you who remember it, has also been given some new dimensions and I won't spoil it, but it involves a new player class which can be accessed mid game.

This is the time to express any concerns or share any ideas. We're going to put the OFFICIAL BETA OUT ON DECEMBER 8th.

[quote=Edit]Since this post hasn't been responded to, we have an update (changes travel fast within our team). To increase the flow of feed back and response from the community regarding our project, we're going to OPEN OUR TESTING TO THE PUBLIC ON DECEMBER 1st.

Also, since we'd like to have more time to implement the community made suggestions, we've decided to postpone the final release until near-Christmas. We don't have an exact date, but this will give us an extra two weeks to ensure the quality of the final release.[/quote]

We have put an incredible amount of time into this project not only the past two years, but in the past few months, and especially this month, we've been working on this for hours every day. Qent and I will likely go into hibernation for the winter the day this project is released. We've put a lot of work in to this, and really want to provide as close as we can get to a perfect experience for the players of CEMP this year. Help us do that by communicating with us, and check out CEMP11 (last years version) so we can get feedback on what we did before, and what you guys would like done differently, and what you would like us to continue doing.

PS: Here's a teaser of our Cryo-Rail Blaster yielding a double-kill in the map 'Social'.
Last edited by mytis on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qent

Post by Qent » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:36 pm

The public beta is out and up on Best Ever.

Resources
Maps

mytis

Post by mytis » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:19 am

Firstly I'd like to apologize for being three days late on releasing the beta. We've been working nonstop to make sure that everything is stable and functioning. We think we've finally hit what we were trying for. We think releasing the beta late was worth the wait. Everything is working well enough, this could just have easily been a final version, and while this beta is out, we're going to continue eliminating bugs and improving the maps as seen necessary which we find along the way so the final release is perfect.

Here are some scenes from a little of our new content:
Spoiler: Screenshots from CEMP12_beta (Open)

And now, without further ado, here's CEMP12_beta1.3

Later today, December 11th, this will be hosted on '[TX] -->Grandvoid--> Christmas Extravaganza Map Pack 2012 beta',
Address: 96.126.115.61:18002
Last edited by mytis on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:36 pm

AWESOME, never knew there existed a christmas wad like this one, it looks quite awesome so far, I like the railgun and the looks of the maps. But the most awesome thing is..... THE CHRISTMAS TREE ON THE FIRST SCREEN OF CEMP12_beta1.3 :D
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

mytis

Post by mytis » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, Lollipop.

We've just finished development for CEMP for this year. The first post has been updated with new screenshots, gameplay information and the download of (what we hope is) the final release (CEMP12_v1).

CEMP was voted to be today's (12/21/2012) FNF mod. It's going to be Eruo and US 4-way team deathmatch! If you've never played CEMP before, or even if you have, this is a great opportunity to see what's new for yourself.
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1777

This being the third year that we have worked on this project (see first post), and being somewhat tired of having putting a lot of work into this for very poor community reception has some of us are considering not working on this next year, which would likely mean the end of CEMP. Show your support, talk with us and give us a hint as to what you like and what you want more of, and if there's enough interest we'll see what we can do to keep this project alive and going strong.

Merry Fragging!
Last edited by mytis on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:30 pm

the end of CEMP? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING? :O
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.

> ZMemory
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones

mytis

Post by mytis » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:44 pm

@ Lollipop, what you see in this thread is essentially the only feedback or response from the community which we've gotten all year. This is often the problem which we're faced with; while we enjoy working on this, the ratio of work to community feedback and gameplay feels like 10:1. We're not saying we want a parade, but some feed back and commentary from the community would make it easier for us to tailor the mod to what people like and would provide us with a reason to continue working on it.
----------------

While Euro FNF has been going on we have been fixing up a few small bugs and have prepared CEMP12_v1.2 ready for American FNF in a few hours. This we hope will be the final release for this year.

Changes:
- Bloodmoon anomaly in Cliffside Fortress repaired
- Snowman statue patch implemented into main pk3

Qent

Post by Qent » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:09 pm

Eh, I'd count the playtime during public betas and FNF as community response as well; and, response or not, I believe that this is an important mod for the community to have, and I'll pick it up again next year if I'm available.
Last edited by Qent on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:28 pm

CRYO RAILGUN HERE I COME

Qent

RE: Christmas Extravaganza Map Pack 2013

Post by Qent » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:39 pm

* MASSIVE 9-MONTH BUMP ANNOUNCEMENT *
It's not even Halloween yet, but Santa has been preparing all year, and it's about time we got this ball rolling if we want to match him! That's right, the fourth release of the Christmas Extravaganza Map Pack is coming this holiday season! If you have any thoughts or suggestions, we welcome them here or in our project channel #cemp on irc.zandronum.com.

We are especially looking for dedicated mappers who have an interest in this project and would be willing to churn out a nice Deathmatch level or two before three months have elapsed (Christmas!). We have no immediate plans to branch out into Capture the Flag, Invasion, or other gamemodes, but as I said we are open to ideas.

There is also some spritework that should be done, and music will be needed for new maps.

Contact me and MytiS here on the forums or in [url=irc://irc.zandronum.com/cemp]#cemp[/url] if you are interested.

Lord_of_D:
Posts a lot

Post by Lord_of_D: » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:10 pm

maybe i can contribute onto something...let me think out and i'll give it a try. something i shall use as resource or idk? D:
Last edited by Lord_of_D: on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qent

Post by Qent » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:52 am

Go for it, but keep in mind that we are trying to get some high-quality Deathmatch maps, as well as improving the quality of the maps that we already have. So if you're a less experienced mapper, then don't be discouraged if your map doesn't make the final cut: there will be an opportunity to polish it up for next release. Nothing shall be wasted!

For resources, skulltag_actors/data are on the table, as well as everything already in CEMP12 (download link at the top). You can just add those to your map configuration in Doom Builder 2.
Spoiler: Secretish stuff (Open)
The finalized resources for CEMP13 have not been decided on yet, but they will likely include a cell-consuming shotgun that inflicts Ice damage, and White Armor which will be the weaker counterpart (weak vs. Rockets, Fire, and Grenades; strong vs. Ice) to Skulltag's Red Armor (which will be made weak vs. Ice). There might also be a new powerup sphere of some kind.
Spoiler: supar sekrit stuff (Open)
You should also think about a strange and perhaps spooky event to foreshadow the arrival of a certain boss monster.

CyborG

Post by CyborG » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:08 am

i LOVE Christmas mappacks! but... today is still autumn and alrady mappack done. Whatever, i like it!

Qent

Post by Qent » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:17 am

You're looking at our presents from last year. There's still more to come!

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:56 am

I am at your disposal, if you got some Work you need done and you have no intend to do it because its just too shitty, then let me know about it, then I might know how to deal with it.

"high quality deamthmatch maps" <-- this is a reason why I personally have no intent to try mapping for this, take a wild guess why.

> ZMemory

Qent

Post by Qent » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:27 am

Thanks, I'm not entirely sure what you're offering, but I'll keep you in mind. :razz: