Making a LAN Server

General help and assistance forum.
PortalFreak996

Making a LAN Server

Post by PortalFreak996 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:06 am

Hey guys, need some help with yet another thing.

I want to make a Doom LAN server for when my brother comes over for Christmas vacation, and I don't know jack about how to do so. I know there's an option on Doomseeker that allows me to broadcast it to my network, but I dunno if that's enough. Is there more too making a LAN server than that? Is there anything I need other than an Internet connection?

darkstar64
Forum Regular

RE: Making a LAN Server

Post by darkstar64 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:14 am

Nope, just having it broadcast to LAN should work fine. Just setup what WADs you want to use and setup the Flags. If it doesn't show up, you might have to go to: Options > Configure > Custom Servers and add your IP Address.
Hypnotoad wrote:
That's a pony? I pegged him for some kind of skunk furry.

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:24 am

darkstar64 wrote: If it doesn't show up, you might have to go to: Options > Configure > Custom Servers and add your IP Address.
Current version of Doomseeker doesn't intercept LAN broadcasts so you'll need to do that. And that's about it, just host the server as usual. You may want to disable broadcasting to master so the server won't be visible for anyone else.
Doomseeker - a real answer to cross-platform server browser.
Doomseeker dev builds - unofficial Doomseeker builds for Windows.
Gamer's Proxy - a program to emulate ping and packet losses.

PortalFreak996

Post by PortalFreak996 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:00 am

Kind of a late reply, but I need some more help.

So I made the server in Doomseeker, and I disabled broadcasting to the master server, AND did the custom servers thing, but I can't see it on Doomseeker at all. Also, I can join the game through the computer that I'm using to host the server, but I can't connect to it on any other computer.

Any suggestions?

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:08 am

PortalFreak996 wrote: Kind of a late reply, but I need some more help.

So I made the server in Doomseeker, and I disabled broadcasting to the master server, AND did the custom servers thing, but I can't see it on Doomseeker at all. Also, I can join the game through the computer that I'm using to host the server, but I can't connect to it on any other computer.

Any suggestions?
You're on LAN right? Do this:
  1. Find your local IPv4 address (google it).
  2. Load the wads on the other lan servers (drag and drop, make sure to load the same IWads)
  3. Join the server from the local computer.
  4. Join the servers from the other computers by typing "connect x", where x is the IPv4 address you got in step 1, into the console (use ~ to access the console).
Doing this means you don't need Doomseeker and you don't need to mess with Doomseeker. If you're using Hamachi or something as "lan" then you can use your Hamachi address.
Last edited by Llewellyn on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PortalFreak996

Post by PortalFreak996 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:23 am

Llewellyn wrote:
PortalFreak996 wrote: Kind of a late reply, but I need some more help.

Any suggestions?
You're on LAN right? Do this:
  1. Find your local IPv4 address (google it).
  2. Load the wads on the other lan servers (drag and drop, make sure to load the same IWads)
  3. Join the server from the local computer.
  4. Join the servers from the other computers by typing "connect x", where x is the IPv4 address you got in step 1, into the console (use ~ to access the console).
Doing this means you don't need Doomseeker and you don't need to mess with Doomseeker. If you're using Hamachi or something as "lan" then you can use your Hamachi address.
I used Doomseeker with this, and I was able to make a custom server with LAN on one of my other computers, but I wan't able to connect to the server with the other.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:08 am

PortalFreak996 wrote: I used Doomseeker with this, and I was able to make a custom server with LAN on one of my other computers, but I wan't able to connect to the server with the other.
Just make the custom server with doomseeker and follow those four steps.

[MAG]Nathan
New User

Post by [MAG]Nathan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Since the topic was already started, I figure I'd ask here.

I'd like to set up a LAN server with a buddy of mine over christmas.

That being said, I've never done a LAN server before. Would our two machines, being hooked up VIA ethernet cable be enough for him to see my LAN server?

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:30 pm

[MAG]Nathan wrote: Since the topic was already started, I figure I'd ask here.

I'd like to set up a LAN server with a buddy of mine over christmas.

That being said, I've never done a LAN server before. Would our two machines, being hooked up VIA ethernet cable be enough for him to see my LAN server?
More or less. That depends on your network configuration. If you plug both Ethernet cables to your router or switch then there should be no problem. If you connect two computers directly then it may require some more work: You'll need to assign IP addresses to the computers manually. Browse this google result to find out how.

Once the connection is set up you'll need to figure out the private IP address of the server, because you'll need it to connect the client. You can obtain it in several ways:
Spoiler: It's displayed in game's server console (Open)
Spoiler: Or you may try to obtain it from the Windows CMD using `ipconfig` command (Open)
Configure a custom server in Doomseeker using the ip:port combination and you'll be set to go.
Last edited by Zalewa on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[MAG]Nathan
New User

Post by [MAG]Nathan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:13 pm

So, would it just be a lot easier, to have him use his wireless card and hookup to my wireless network, than to jack together with a cat5?

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:15 pm

[MAG]Nathan wrote: So, would it just be a lot easier, to have him use his wireless card and hookup to my wireless network, than to jack together with a cat5?
I actually did the ethernet connection between two comps setup with my mate and it worked quite well. I think we set a subnet ip mask if I recall.
Last edited by one_Two on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:16 pm

[MAG]Nathan wrote: So, would it just be a lot easier, to have him use his wireless card and hookup to my wireless network, than to jack together with a cat5?
I guess it would, but you might get occasional lag spikes. There's a WiFi setting that can be disabled to deal with these spikes but I forgot what it is. It might be QoS (Quality-of-Service) but I'm not sure.

EDIT: You'll still need to figure out the private IP address.
Last edited by Zalewa on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[MAG]Nathan
New User

Post by [MAG]Nathan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Allrighty then, sound's simple enough.

Guess we'll find out soon. Thanks a bunch for the help!