Samsara - No longer under active development.

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Samsara - v0.26 - Everything suddenly got sexy!

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:30 am

And 0.26 is officially released! Good Lord, there's a lot of incredible stuff in this build--everyone has a tipbox to tell you what the data of each weapon is, many more cvars in order to provide additional gameplay options, many more clientside cvars to customize playing experience, a massive rehaul of the internal layout to make add-ons easier and additional updates easier...and that's just a few! 0.26 is easily the best build by far, and the majority of it is all thanks to the new coder, ijon tichy.
Samsara has a bright future, folks, there's a whole host of options and directions available for us now, and as I type this we already have several new characters in mind as well as prospective additional features.

As always, thank you for your support and for playing. I end each release with "Please enjoy", but in this case? Well, I think enjoyment won't be terribly difficult to come by, haha.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:30 am

inb4 everything breaks

Trilkin
New User

Post by Trilkin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:36 am

I'm also a hidden character in this release. See if you can find the means to unlock me.

thevarian

Clan: Hidden Hotdogs
Clan Tag: HH

Post by thevarian » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:43 am

Congrats on the updated release!One of the few class based mods I like by far,perhaps the only one.Looking forward to your future releases and some more SNS and FNF time.Cheers!

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:50 am

Planning more than one new character? Ooooo

Thetis

Post by Thetis » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:04 pm

I hope one of the new classes is Strifeguy.

Ijon Tichy

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:55 pm

By the way, I encourage everyone who has bug reports to put them on the bugtracker, so that we can keep better track of them and not forget what they are. Yes, you need to register a Github account. Deal with it.

TerminusEst13

RE: Samsara - v0.26b - Everything suddenly got sexy!

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Roluth
New User

Post by Roluth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:38 pm

From what i could see, Security Officer only ever gets the M2 variation of the Alien Weapon from his unique. I've picked up quite a few of them, and he never gets the M1 variant.
EDIT: More bugs! Apparently all classes can't switch away from Weapon VI when selected.
Last edited by Roluth on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:56 pm

Still needs a Dark Forces class. :P
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Triple S

Post by Triple S » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:10 pm

The WSTE-MS still likes to randomly stop working. Swapped to it once, activated the left-handed one, and it kept shooting non-stop. Swapped away and back, and now if I try to dual-wield, neither will fire (but the single one works fine). Also, once this happened, dual magnums failed to work properly as well.

Changing levels fixes it, though.

EDIT: Apparently using resurrect while dual-wielding causes it, although the first time I ran into it I hadn't used the command.
Last edited by Triple S on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:13 pm

So what is next now that you seem to have finished the overhaul?
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Ijon Tichy

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Roluth wrote: From what i could see, Security Officer only ever gets the M2 variation of the Alien Weapon from his unique. I've picked up quite a few of them, and he never gets the M1 variant.
EDIT: More bugs! Apparently all classes can't switch away from Weapon VI when selected.
first one is fixed
can't confirm the second one (I did an idfa and cycled through all the weapons with no issues)
Triple S wrote: The WSTE-MS still likes to randomly stop working. Swapped to it once, activated the left-handed one, and it kept shooting non-stop. Swapped away and back, and now if I try to dual-wield, neither will fire (but the single one works fine). Also, once this happened, dual magnums failed to work properly as well.

Changing levels fixes it, though.

EDIT: Apparently using resurrect while dual-wielding causes it, although the first time I ran into it I hadn't used the command.
on the resurrect thing: won't fix because resurrect is unclean
it brings you back to life, yes, but it doesn't trigger respawn scripts, meaning that the SynthFire items aren't given or taken because the spawn script exits on death (so the same thing doesn't happen multiple times on the same player unintentionally). fixing it so that resurrect would handle would mean adding code that's never used for any other purpose (as nowhere else is there an unclean respawn) and just introduces more entry points for bugs
it's not just a "change one line of code and it's fixed," it's adding more code to handle spawn script locking

in normal play though, I'd have to see this - why would the spawn script just die during a normal life?

TerminusEst13

RE: Samsara - v0.26c - Everything suddenly got sexy!

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Right, so, all that shit is (hopefully) fixed. Sorry (again) about the inconvenience.
I really like how after each release we have to make six more fixing bugs that only pop up at the last minute. It really shows the hours and days and weeks we put into testing.
As for what's next?
Well, like I said, Ijon and I are planning a few chars. We also have some more QoL enhancements planned, giving spectators in Survival/LMS something to do while waiting, and an extra game mode or two.

At the moment, though, we're probably going to rest and play. I've got a trailer I'd like to get ready and presentable for the Cacowards (apparently people have been nominating us? Wow), and Ijon probably wants to set fire to his computer after the WSTE-M5 shenanigans.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_of_D:
Posts a lot

Post by Lord_of_D: » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:14 pm

nice, a new and hot update. btw, are you guys thinking on adding more characters to the roster or its already finished? cause i've thougt on another class and i've been talking about it in-game

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:00 am

TerminusEst13 wrote: Right, so, all that shit is (hopefully) fixed. Sorry (again) about the inconvenience.
I really like how after each release we have to make six more fixing bugs that only pop up at the last minute. It really shows the hours and days and weeks we put into testing.
As for what's next?
Well, like I said, Ijon and I are planning a few chars. We also have some more QoL enhancements planned, giving spectators in Survival/LMS something to do while waiting, and an extra game mode or two.

At the moment, though, we're probably going to rest and play. I've got a trailer I'd like to get ready and presentable for the Cacowards (apparently people have been nominating us? Wow), and Ijon probably wants to set fire to his computer after the WSTE-M5 shenanigans.
Where can we check other cacoward nominees? I'd want you guys to win to be honest, but I'm curious about the others.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:31 am

Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkuzESP

Post by MarkuzESP » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:44 am

This was my face when I saw the losing endscreen in PVP gamemodes for the first time (yeah, it caught me offguard and surprised me, :D)...

The winning one reminds me of M.Bison when he shouts "YES!!! YES!!!" :razz: :razz:

Now, being serious, Officer has turned to be a complete killing machine when using the TOZT Flamethrower... too bad that the killfest won't last long, sucks to be you Officer! :twisted: .
The WSTE-M5 Shotguns look much more cleaner (no more screen blocking when reloading them, great!) and the Fusion Pistol looks much more useful now to burst foes to death.
Little question... why does the Fusion Pistol perform a gibbed death animation only on Security Officers and not in other heroes? This, considering normal damage.

I noticed that when you press both fire modes simultaneusly with MA-75B , you actually can perform both attacks, with the bullets being interrupted for each grenade shot. Bug or happened in Marathon?

The tips and the hybrid weapon pickup design look kickass! :twisted:

P.S. : Congrats for the nominations on the Cacowards! Hope you win it, the mod is extremely addicting to play!
Last edited by MarkuzESP on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Must... not... Derp!!!

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:11 am

MarkuzESP wrote:Little question... why does the Fusion Pistol perform a gibbed death animation only on Security Officers and not in other heroes? This, considering normal damage.

I noticed that when you press both fire modes simultaneusly with MA-75B , you actually can perform both attacks, with the bullets being interrupted for each grenade shot. Bug or happened in Marathon?
Since I'm not sure about the Samsara counterparts, I'll speak for the Marathon side of things. :D

When a Security Officer was killed by a charged Fusion bolt in Marathon, he would die a "hard" (gib) death. The reasoning behind this is uncertain. The SO is believed to be a cyborg, so it's likely linked to the Fusion Pistol not mixing well with electronic/cybernetic foes.

In Marathon, the Assault Rifle could fire both triggers at once. The bullets interrupting is… a Samsara thing. I think it's being worked on? Hopefully, both triggers on the M2 Alien Weapon can fire simultaneously as well, once this is resolved.

Also, I approve of your avatar. :P
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:26 pm

Little question... why does the Fusion Pistol perform a gibbed death animation only on Security Officers and not in other heroes? This, considering normal damage.
Yup, what Pres said--this was the behavior in Marathon! It's likely linked to his 2spooooooky story (super spooky (no, but really Marathon's story is crazy (and good (crazy good)))).

As for bullets being interrupted, well, it's a bug but unfortunately not a fixable one. At the moment, the grenade attack takes one tic to finish and a 15-tic recharge--if you try and fire a grenade again before that time, it locks up for another tic. Reducing these tics to 0 basically renders the cooldown null--since you can fire off an entire magazine before the cooldown kicks in and say "HEY GUYS WAIT UP GET BACK IN HERE".
btw, are you guys thinking on adding more characters to the roster or its already finished? cause i've thougt on another class and i've been talking about it in-game
Yup, we're actually working on a character right now! I finished up a part of his/her HUD just yesterday, and both ijon and I are going through his/her native game for, uh. Research. Right. Research.
I'm always happy to take suggestions via PM on forum or IRC, but please note this isn't a guarantee that he or she will get in.