Samsara - No longer under active development.

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Samsara - v0.25 - I think the changelog gets longer with each release.

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:56 am

I do not know what the reason is, but whenever I play as Security Officer, Zandronum crashes, doesn't happen on any other character. I have the latest stable version of Zandronum. and I am using the latest version of your add on.
Askjhdkjshgklkasjdaasdkljaslkjflksjdalksjglskajdaslkjgasd FUCK.
I really wish these bugs would actually show up in testing.

The reason is the SO's different weapon-holding skins. They've been frustratingly crash-prone, and I thought I'd fixed them. GUESS NOT.
Until I figure out what the shit is going on they're going to go in a time-out. Which is really upsetting, considering someone went to great effort in order to rip and edit them together, upon my request.
0.25b is uploaded, please download that. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Submerge

RE: Samsara - v0.25b - I think the changelog gets longer with each release.

Post by Submerge » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:45 am

After playing for a while as chexman, and using the ELZ, I have decided it is still overpowered. the pushback is gone, making it less annoying, but no offence intended it is clearly overpowered. It kills Mancubi in 2 shots, archviles in 3, even at medium/long range. I feel this outstrips the Doomguy's SSG in terms of damage and reliability.

I like the ELZ's current effects, but make it fire a 3 way fork of shots rather then all 4 deathballs in a tight cluster. This would make it remain useful at a distance, but deadlier up close, and effective in tight spaces, in it's own way.

MarkuzESP

Post by MarkuzESP » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Submerge wrote: After playing for a while as chexman, and using the ELZ, I have decided it is still overpowered. the pushback is gone, making it less annoying, but no offence intended it is clearly overpowered. It kills Mancubi in 2 shots, archviles in 3, even at medium/long range. I feel this outstrips the Doomguy's SSG in terms of damage and reliability.
In cooperative gaming, in terms of damage, it seems to be on par with the Doomguy's Super Shotgun (Mancubus going down in 3 shots for both of them, as an example). Anyway, SSG is much more reliable than Super Large Zorcher, SLZ shoots in a line while SSG shoots in a cone, so it's much harder to miss a shot with SSG than SLZ (some pellets will hit with SSG while a single movement can f*ck up the Super Large Zorcher shot), also, it looks that SLZ reloads a bit slower than the SSG (and needs twice the ammo, 4 ammo for SLZ against 2 ammo from the SSG)

Fast-Edit : I'm having some crashes when I play against bots, even with 0.25-b (the bots are all the heroes available in the mod). I use skulltag_data and skulltag_actors as the other wads I load.
Last edited by MarkuzESP on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:44 pm

I have to agree with Submerge here in it's reliability factor. If you're played DM or LMS as chex you know that players cannot follow you down a hallway otherwise they'll die, so they can't follow you at all. Seeing as lots of maps are made like this (DM/CTF/Doom2) it becomes an overpowering feature.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:15 pm

It definitely is not op for me. I have no problems killing a Chex as Doomguy.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Fast-Edit : I'm having some crashes when I play against bots, even with 0.25-b (the bots are all the heroes available in the mod). I use skulltag_data and skulltag_actors as the other wads I load.
:([/size]

Lemme see if I can track that down real quick.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Submerge

Post by Submerge » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:44 pm

MarkuzESP wrote: it looks that SLZ reloads a bit slower than the SSG (and needs twice the ammo, 4 ammo for SLZ against 2 ammo from the SSG)
The ammo cost is the only thing that makes it even vaguely balanced, but even then, Chexwarrior gets a base max of 100 ammo 2, 200 with a backpack. And the rate at which one can find ammo 2 in doom maps allows me to generally use the SLZ with impunity despite the higher cost. Another potential way to balance the SLZ would be to lower his Ammo 2 maximum back down to 50 base. As for firing speed, it feels about the same, but yeah, hmm, it's a hair longer. I think the damage from each projectile the SLZ fires is just fine, the matter is changing the projectile shot pattern so all 4 don't smash into an enemy at once at medium/long range. 2 ahead, 2 at 25 degrees?

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Submerge wrote: I think the damage from each projectile the SLZ fires is just fine, the matter is changing the projectile shot pattern so all 4 don't smash into an enemy at once at medium/long range. 2 ahead, 2 at 25 degrees?
Maybe move the extra delay for reload to in between the shots so it shoots in bursts of two, that way it's still accurate but you have less chance of hitting them if they are moving, and it's not all instant damage so you can't smash someone in close range with it instantly.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:51 pm

And there we go. Crash fixed. 0.25c uploaded. Hopefully there's no more major gamebreaking issues. I'm starting to run out of letters in the alphabet.
I also reduced the SLZ's co-op damage to something much less obscene. I'm very hesitant to give it a spread or stuttered shot, because its most annoying facet in DM is the bounce. Giving it different angles means there's more bounce and makes corridors much more dangerous, and giving it a stutter means people can sweep their aim and cover the walls with different angles.

Still, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it now. If it's still performing weird, I'll try those ideas and see if things work better. Thanks.

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:04 pm

TerminusEst13 wrote:
I do not know what the reason is, but whenever I play as Security Officer, Zandronum crashes, doesn't happen on any other character. I have the latest stable version of Zandronum. and I am using the latest version of your add on.
Askjhdkjshgklkasjdaasdkljaslkjflksjdalksjglskajdaslkjgasd FUCK.
I really wish these bugs would actually show up in testing.

The reason is the SO's different weapon-holding skins. They've been frustratingly crash-prone, and I thought I'd fixed them. GUESS NOT.
Until I figure out what the shit is going on they're going to go in a time-out. Which is really upsetting, considering someone went to great effort in order to rip and edit them together, upon my request.
0.25b is uploaded, please download that. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.
kk, all in good time. B-)
Edit: have since downloaded 0.25c
Last edited by Cerebus on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the charge of playing the Sega Saturn port of Doom, I find myself guilty as charged LOL

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

RE: Samsara - v0.25 - I think the changelog gets longer with each release.

Post by Torr Samaho » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:21 am

TerminusEst13 wrote: The reason is the SO's different weapon-holding skins. They've been frustratingly crash-prone, and I thought I'd fixed them.
If the crash is reproducible and not caused by DECOTATE infinite loops (be aware that clients ignore most jump functions on their end), please make a tracker ticket for it.

TerminusEst13

RE: Samsara - v0.25c - Eight builds just to stop a simple infinite loop crash.

Post by TerminusEst13 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:34 am

So, for those that have looked at Samsara's codebase, you probably know that it's a mess. On a scale of one to 11, it ranks somewhere around "clusterfuck". For those that haven't looked at Samsara's code, well, it works in the same way a cannon made out of duct tape works--it's not pretty, and sure as hell not eloquent, but it'd held together.
Enter one man, who has graciously volunteered to do wizardry to it.
[21:28] <TerminusEst13> Wait.
[21:28] <TerminusEst13> You got sv_weaponstay to affect a CustomInventory item?
[21:28] <ijontichy> yes
[21:28] <TerminusEst13> what
Expect crazy shit in some of the next few updates, folks.

Aqua Kitty
Forum Regular
Location: Dreamland. There's a rebellion going on there and it isn't pretty.
Clan: Organization XIII

Post by Aqua Kitty » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:11 am

For some reason, Parias' bot shows up as a Doomguy ingame. I went through the BOTINFO and it clearly points to Playerclass Parias for the bot named Parias, yet...

DooMMakU - Bullet Hell Doom
<BlakJacket> Reisen: so basically you're Uwe Boll
"The smart kids know there isn't really a line between fact and fantasy" -Ranger
Spoiler: Names I may go by ingame (Open)
Aqua Kitty
Reisen Udongein Inaba
James Frost
Cirno
Cirnobog
Cyclo-F
ARX/NG 891

Net status: Finally have a better internet plan - alive and kicking!

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:24 pm

So yeah I've been reworking Samsara's internals to
  1. be easier to read and manage
  2. be less bug-prone
  3. FEETURZ
... which is all well and good but why would anyone give a shit without me having anything to show. Well, so far (and this is 10 hours of work), I've
  1. turned the pseudovariables samsara_ballgag and whatnot into actual CVARs, so you can use them in scripts as expected
  2. made all the samsara_cl_* variables and the server variables I've touched so far apply immediately
  3. made it so that online, you always see the weapon that goes with your class - the old online pickup sprites are seen if you have no class
  4. added samsara_cl_pickupmode, which changes how the pickups display - 0 means old-style (you see the classic octagon-and-skull), 2 is just your class weapon pickup, 1 is a hybrid between the two
  5. completely recoded the pickups, so that now sv_weaponstay is respected by them, dropping works as normal, and the right pickup message is shown when you pick it up
And there's more to come. There is always more to come.

Check out https://github.com/IjonTichy/samsaraJunk if you want to see the latest in Tichycode as it pertains to Samsara.

EDIT: Oh right, I forgot an image to demonstate the "client-specific weapon display" thing:
Spoiler: the chainsaw and the gauntlet are the same actor (Open)
Last edited by Ijon Tichy on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqua Kitty
Forum Regular

Post by Aqua Kitty » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:28 pm

B.J. vs Gangsta Grosse. I thought it'd be funny to download the Gangsta Grosse mod again to use with Samsara, then I thought it'd be funny to pit B.J. against him. Works perfectly, only think I'll miss is that midi of "In da club" by 50cent.

Last edited by Aqua Kitty on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The smart kids know there isn't really a line between fact and fantasy" -Ranger
Aqua Kitty
Reisen Udongein Inaba
James Frost
Cirno
Cirnobog
Cyclo-F
ARX/NG 891

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:29 pm

So Samsara's source has been moved entirely to the GitHub repository. This is a good way to get the very latest in Samsara development, and also a good place to put bug reports and suggestions - they won't get lost there, and we can mark them off as they get fixed/added.

Also, for all of you derps out there who want to add new classes to Samsara, this allows you to just fork the source and do your own thing.

Also things are unstable yaaaaaaaay

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:50 pm

I'd immediately start making a RoTT player class... but I'd rather see the take of TerminusEst13 on this, if any.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Aqua Kitty
Forum Regular

Post by Aqua Kitty » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:58 am

lol r0tt 1s 4 fagets, 3v3ry1 noes mastur ch33f 1s l33t sn1p3s adn sh0uld b3 add3d.

Joking aside, I would definitely make Master Chief, it would be simple enough as a replacement for SO.
Aqua Kitty
Reisen Udongein Inaba
James Frost
Cirno
Cirnobog
Cyclo-F
ARX/NG 891

blakyoshi
Registered just to make one post

Post by blakyoshi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:15 am

I'm really enjoying this, thanks for making it.

I encountered a bug recently, using Zandronum 1.0 and Samsara 0.25c in Hexen playing as Duke Nukem. In the level Bright Crucible, the stained-glass windows leading to the pedestal you put D'Sparil's Heart on were unbreakable. Nothing at all happened when I attacked, not even wall puffs. I had to use noclip to get through them.

Also, it would be nice if you could implement the Protective Boots and/or Holoduke from DN3D, it feels weird using radiation suits and invisibility the same way as in Doom.

ArcheKruz

Post by ArcheKruz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Aqua Kitty wrote: lol r0tt 1s 4 fagets, 3v3ry1 noes mastur ch33f 1s l33t sn1p3s adn sh0uld b3 add3d.

Joking aside, I would definitely make Master Chief, it would be simple enough as a replacement for SO.
Or Caleb from Blood as a replacement for Duke.

Loving this mod so far, played through Doom 2 as Parias, and then Duke. If I were to be so bold as to suggest something, I would say give BJ an incendiary Trench Gun. Which is basically a shotgun that doesn't do much damage, but has a fairly tight spread, rips through enemies, and can set them on fire.
Last edited by ArcheKruz on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.