Zombie Torrent - Invasion Mod

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Zedek The Plague Doctor

Clan: OLAF METAL
Clan Tag: [OLAF]

Zombie Torrent - Invasion Mod

Post by Zedek The Plague Doctor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:57 am

----Current Version: v1a, 10/18/2012--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
Zombie Torrent is still in development, though any help would be appreciated.

Zombie Torrent walks the line between a partial and total conversion WAD, changing the entire gameplay of classic DooM and replacing nearly every aspect of the game with edited material. The mod aims to create a zombie-based invasion gamemode, much like the retail game "Killing Floor". Features of this mod include:
  • • A functional healing system, using medical syringes.
    • A completely new from-scratch ACS wave system, incorporating a special period for purchasing weapons.
    • Weapons all around! Zombie Torrent comes with a brand new arsenal of weapons, ranging from a simple pistol to a four-barreled shotgun.
    • Reloading for all weapons! The ammo boxes are packed full of A_GiveInventory lines, since all weapons use specific secondary ammo types.
    • Player classes! Much like Killing Floor, Zombie Torrent comes with multiple player classes. Weapons used by their intended classes fire faster, do more damage, and reload quicker!
    • A fully reworked menu, consisting of hi-resolution options and new sounds.
If you experience any bugs or anomalies of any sort, feel free to post them on this thread and I'll try to release a hotfix ASAP. (This release is probably littered with bugs.) For all you modders out there, be sure to check out the "Mapping Guidelines" provided at the bottom of the thread. Also offered is the mod soundtrack, several wallpapers (all 1600x900), and the old "scrapped" trailer. Zombie Torrent is to be loaded with the Skulltag data files. (skulltag_actors.pk3 and skulltag_data_126.pk3). Otherwise, some textures and actors may not show up! ZT is meant to be played with the latest version of Zandronum, although it remains untested with ZDoom.

Download Zombie Torrent v1a

Questions? Post them on this thread, or stop by the Zandronum IRC server at #zombietorrent.

ImageImage
Last edited by Zedek The Plague Doctor on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_of_D:
Posts a lot

RE: Zombie Torrent - Invasion Mod

Post by Lord_of_D: » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:10 am

mmmph, interesting. it looks like another zombies wad, but this one seems to have some potential, hope to see something great :D

Zedek The Plague Doctor

Post by Zedek The Plague Doctor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:26 am

Thank you. I hope to build upon it in the future, and I hope others do the same. :D

BloodyAcid
Forum Regular

Post by BloodyAcid » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:43 am

Looks awesome! Many of the features look very fleshed out and well developed. My one suggestion might be to add a bit more gore. As of now for a zombie mod, there isn't enough hunks flying around imo.

Zedek The Plague Doctor

Post by Zedek The Plague Doctor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:09 am

BloodyAcid wrote: Looks awesome! Many of the features look very fleshed out and well developed. My one suggestion might be to add a bit more gore. As of now for a zombie mod, there isn't enough hunks flying around imo.
I agree. That was one of my thoughts early on in development, but I never actually got around to it. I may fiddle with it before the next update. Some graphics from nashgore.wad might be used, but I might create new DECORATE for the gibs. Thanks for the suggestion. :smile:

Catweasel
New User

Post by Catweasel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:15 am

Even with the hotfix, I'm getting a "Script error, "zt_weapons.wad:DECALDEF" line 139:
Crossfire-44 is not an actor.
"
error. What am I doing wrong?

Zedek The Plague Doctor

Post by Zedek The Plague Doctor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:18 am

Are you running the hotfix last?

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:25 am

Zedek The Plague Doctor wrote: If you experience errors with DECALDEF and "Crossfire-44", try this hotfix.
Had to remove the DECALDEF line from the original wad, and the SBARINFO line too because DECALDEF doesn't overwrite it stacks, so pasting the same decaldef minus the line doesn't help at all.
Last edited by Llewellyn on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catweasel
New User

Post by Catweasel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:39 am

Llewellyn wrote:
Zedek The Plague Doctor wrote: If you experience errors with DECALDEF and "Crossfire-44", try this hotfix.
Had to remove the DECALDEF line from the original wad, and the SBARINFO line too because DECALDEF doesn't overwrite it stacks, so pasting the same decaldef minus the line doesn't help at all.
This did the trick for me, thanks!

Zedek The Plague Doctor

Post by Zedek The Plague Doctor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:47 am

Catweasel wrote:-snip-
I'd gladly upload a fix, but I really don't want to reupload a 30 MB wad just for two lines. I may, though.

EDIT: Well damn, that was fast. Try the link now. Good ol' Dropbox.
Last edited by Zedek The Plague Doctor on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:09 am

Here is my critique so far. I didn't get that far into it because I'm quite tired.
Spoiler: Stuff (Open)
  • Teleport players outside of the trader like in the KF (use -TELESTOMP?) players can currently hide in there and open the door for other players
  • Pistol should start loaded, maybe new guns too...
  • Guns seem "sticky" clicking does nothing when it should be firing
  • Classes are not explained, how do they help? (F1 pic?)
  • Some kind of menu for the trader would be much better, with each displaying the cost and abilities of each. Right now I can only guess the price etc
  • Zombie entrances are rather lame with inviso walls etc... Take a Cue from KF and have them drop down from up high. The bridge in the church is a good example, but the positioning of it lets you line up zombies and kill them easily with a pulse repeater
  • Why are there two keys for drop money and heal self, dafuq?
  • I don't seem to get any amount of money with a pulse repeater
  • The Zombie pistol starts one pixel above the bottom of the hud... I can see the map under it lol
  • Texture misalignment (screenshot) it just looks bad on that wall
  • The self-heal sound is weird and doesn't sound right... how does that even work anyway, it doesn't look like a syringe rofl
  • I would suggest not allowing the monsters to infight each other
  • After using self-heal I think it regenerates too fast or doesn't take enough, you can basically spam it
  • When you try to buy items it says "you need X to buy this" when it should say "you need x MORE to buy this"
  • Several weapons' ammo or subammo does not show up on the HUD?
  • Screenshot of map looks bad lol black
  • Can see zombies walking in on that screenshot
  • Whats with the timer? Zombies just spawn forever until then and then they fall over? That's really lame. They should stop spawning after X amount of time, and you have to mop up the remaining ones. Maybe you can kill them off if a couple are still alive after a bit longer after the timer goes off.
  • Initial waves seem very "babyish" meaning they're really easy, then you get to wave 5 and it seems a lot harder, the difficulty raising should be more linear
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, it's just how I feel about it after playing it. I do like some of the mod but other parts just put me off...
Some of this might not make sense because I'm about to pass out so...
Last edited by Llewellyn on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zedek The Plague Doctor

Post by Zedek The Plague Doctor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:14 am

They're all good ideas, and I'm sure most (if not all) of them will make it in in the near future. Some things (like the trader teleporting) might take some time to get right, but I'm sure I'll get to them. I might hit you up on the IRC if I need any help. Thanks.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:16 am

So I'm just going to go ahead and mutilate your mod and send you the result, K?
By mutilate I mean change a bunch of stuff that bothers me.

So, I finished my modifications, here's a download, and here's a changelog:
Spoiler: Changelog (Open)
+ Staying in the Trader after the round starts causes you to be teleported out of the Trader.
! Fixed Zombie Pistol Sprite being one pixel above HUD bar
! Modified some map geometry and fixed some texture alignments on Map01
! Fixed shops not saying you need $1000 more dollars
+ Added this thing to the shops.
Suggestions for future modifications, or modifications I might make in the future:
Spoiler: suggestions (Open)
-Players start with only the pistol, this adds more dynamics to the weapon buying system and allows you to "trade up" longer.
-A certain amount of zombies spawns each wave proportionate to the amount of players and what Skill setting the game is on, and there is no wave timer.
-Remove ammo respawning, players should be forced to buy ammo, currently they just wait for ammo respawning
-Force off Item respawning with scripts or decorate, some maps allows you to camp SuperHealth and Armor.
-Better zombie spawns on maps that are less "campable" because currently the zombie spawns promote camping and not teamwork
-Zombie health proportionate to the amount of players in the game? Maybe a scale so that way if 16 players play they're 4 times stronger not 16, but if two players play they can be like 1.5x stronger.
-Add more zombie types
If you run my modded version only run that PK3 with Skulltag_Data and nothing else!
Last edited by Llewellyn on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zedek The Plague Doctor

Post by Zedek The Plague Doctor » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks, Llewellyn. I hope to get this working more effectively in the future.

Zedek The Plague Doctor

Post by Zedek The Plague Doctor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:27 am

Bumping. This mod is pretty much abandoned forum-wise, but it's still (sluggishly) progressing. MAP05 is nearly finished.

ArcheKruz

Post by ArcheKruz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:58 pm

I really like this idea, but if it's that similar to the gameplay mode of Killing Floor, you should add something to differentiate it from the game itself. Something about the dynamics of the weapons, items, and monsters that could give it its unique flavour. I wish you the best of luck in this endeavour, it's a nice idea.

Zedek The Plague Doctor

Post by Zedek The Plague Doctor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks, ArcheKruz. Some things are going to be redesigned entirely, and some bigger things are going to be changed sometime. It's a very shoddy release right now, but it'll get better.

Zedek The Plague Doctor

Post by Zedek The Plague Doctor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:30 pm

BUMP. ForrestMarkX has joined the dev "team", so things should actually get done with this mod. Also, thanks to him hosting a ZT server recently, the mod's grown a little bit in popularity. Expect a released update to the thread soon. :V

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:44 pm

I played this today, it was quite fun, I agree with all the things that have already been pointed out.
Good luck with this project, I foresee popularity for this.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

Zedek The Plague Doctor

Post by Zedek The Plague Doctor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks. Like I said, now that ForrestMarkX is helping out, a lot of the bugs should be fixed soon enough.