Super Doom64 - Doom 64-Style Partial Conversion (New Release)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Super Doom64 - Doom 64-Style Partial Conversion (New Release)

Post by StrikerMan780 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:55 am

(Formally Super UDM3)

Features:
  • 4-Way Support - Play with up to four teams! Highly recommended.
  • Team-based Player Clipping - You'll clip through teammates, but still bump into enemies. (Without sv_unblockplayers, which is bugged with this) This makes the more cramped maps much more playable with lots of players. (broken in v15 beta)
  • Team-based Projectile Clipping - Your rockets and plasma do not explode when they hit a teammate! (They go through)
  • Team-Colored Projectiles - To go hand-in-hand with the above, Rockets and Plasma are Team-Colored, so you'll know what you should avoid!
  • Team-based Pain Sounds & Taunts - Each team has their own taunt, and pain sounds.
  • Ammo collection dropping - If someone has over double the default starting stock of an ammo type, they will drop some of it, helping to keep a richer ammo supply without overdoing it.
  • Minimalistic Gore Mod - Shooting someone with an SSG has a chance to blow a player's torso in half. Rockets can do the same as well.
  • New Sounds - New weapon sounds, some made from scratch by me(SSG Reload, Pistol Fire), others are either slightly or heavily modified sounds from other games.
  • Doom 64-Inspired Visual Style and Palette -Weapon Sprites from Doom 64, with reloading frames by Cage, and a new dark and gritty palette to fit them. Decorations are replaced as well.
  • Hit Markers - Know when you've hit your target, indicated by a white or team-colored X on your screen.
  • Shotgun and Chaingun Re-balancing - The shotgun now fires 10 pellets, rather than 7, to balance it with the SSG. The chaingun packs a slightly more powerful punch now too.
  • Teleportable Rockets - Rockets can be shot through teleporters to take care of teleport campers, or to send an unexpected delivery to whatever poor sod who may be on the other side.
  • New BFG Mechanics - The BFG's spray originates from the center of the blast outward, rather than a cone from the player who fired it. Also, to curb spam, you can end up killing yourself if you're too close.
  • New Maps - New maps inspired by the UDM3 gameplay style. There are also a few maps based on other, more experimental themes. (Lump Name: DM##)
Known Issues:
  • Not all Doom 2 Textures are replaced yet, so there's some texture mixing/clashing.
  • Some texture layers are missing in Software mode. Latest ZDoom doesn't have this problem. Zandro is out of date by several years.
  • The player unblocking is not working in v15 beta. Will fix soon.
  • The spinning blade on MAP19 doesn't work, due to this bug - http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=1138
  • Team-colored teleport fogs don't work, I need this in order to complete them - http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=1133
FAQ:
  • Will add questions as I answer them
To-Do:

Code: Select all

June 2nd, 2013 - (V15) Another overhaul. Almost every Doom2 texture replaced with colorized Doom64 textures, and some custom ones. Many bugs fixed, new sprites, new weapon behaviors, smooth Doom64 reloads, etc... the list is so huge I could go on for ages.

November 2nd, 2012 - (V14) Complete overhaul of visual theme, and many fixes. Smooth weapons scrapped in exchange for Doom 64 Shotgun/SSG reloads by Cage. New sounds as well. This is the first step into migrating SuperUDM3 into it's own independent project, as a remake of a very old project of mine.

October 29, 2012 - (V13) More changes than I care to list, or can even remember at the time being... Lots of bug fixes, New HUD, a new map, etc..

October 20, 2012 - (V12) Added MAP19, Tweaked MAP18 a little, Re-coded player split death, added new death animations, made new plasma projectile sprites (better color), Increased Plasma Projectile Speed but Slowed down fire rate to reduce spam. Added ROTT textures and a few actors (springpad, blade trap.) for MAP19.

October 19, 2012 - (V11) Added new BFG Mechanics. Added one new voice clip to Red Team. Added Recoil Animation to SSG. Made Pistol Semi-Auto. Fixed gibbing animation online. Added some more weapon pickups to MAP18 and fixed need for jumping. 

October 18, 2012 - (V10) Fixed some more bugs, hopefully. Fixed SSG Timing. Rewritten Hit Marker code. New Explosion Sprites. Made plasma harder to get on MAP17, added new map (MAP18: Poo Tis Pow - By: Gosimer).

October 17, 2012 - (V9) FUCK! Another bug... fixed. I need to stop releasing so fast so I can detect these.

October 17, 2012 - (V8) Argh... Fixed a serious bug with bullet puffs. Added New gib sequence, and Team-Colored BFG Balls/spray.

October 17, 2012 - (V7) Fixed issues with player clipping, requires sv_unblockplayers to be 0 though, so opposing teams can telefrag. Added death sounds, corpse cue for torso, and improved MAP17 a bit.

October 17, 2012 - (V6) Added Win/Lose pics and music, Compressed sounds to OGG, fixed a few minor bugs, and added a new map (MAP17 - Stay Frosty) and some music.

October 15, 2012 - Initial Release (v5 due to internal testing)

StrikerMan780 - Weapon/Teleport Sounds, All Decorate/ACS Code, some Sprites, MAP17, MAP19
Gosimer - MAP18
KunaiKitsune - MAP20, Player Split Death Sprites
Footman - Doom 64 HUD
Clan Shadow Mavericks - Playtesting, Assistance in gathering player sounds
Jimmy - Font
Cage - Doom 64 Shotgun/SSG Reloads
ID Software - Player Split Sprites
Midway - Doom 64 Sprites

[SM] Super Doom 64 + UDM3 - TDM ~ [64.74.97.177:10671]
Screenshots:
ImageImageImageImage

Downloads:

GitHub Repository
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Medicris
Forum Regular

RE: Super UDM3 - Team-based Mayhem Expansion Pack for UDM3

Post by Medicris » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:48 am

I applaud this wad as single handedly making UDM3's dusty old maps worth romping through again. That was great, spent a good 2 hours playing on that server today. Aside from the included music's space usage, I imagine it'd go well with just about any DM map pack, honestly.

Though, some quick questions. Was the rocket launcher's behavior changed at all? It felt more responsive than the vanilla one. The chaingun and plasma gun also felt less clunky.

Also, all will know the power of pootis.
Last edited by Medicris on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular

Post by StrikerMan780 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Medicris wrote: I applaud this wad as single handedly making UDM3's dusty old maps worth romping through again. That was great, spent a good 2 hours playing on that server today. Aside from the included music's space usage, I imagine it'd go well with just about any DM map pack, honestly.

Though, some quick questions. Was the rocket launcher's behavior changed at all? It felt more responsive than the vanilla one. The chaingun and plasma gun also felt less clunky.

Also, all will know the power of pootis.
Thanks! I had a lot of fun playing this with you guys again.

Actually, the music takes up the least space. (Most tracks are only 64kb, thanks to the wonders of SPC.) It's the voice clips/taunts that take up the most.

The rocket launcher's behavior, as far as I can remember right now, isn't changed at all save for new animations. I *might* have increased the rocket projectile speed, but I cannot recall right now. I'll have to check. (I just woke up right now, posting from my netbook)

The chaingun though, did get a damage boost. It's base damage is 6, rather than 5 now.

One thing I wanted to do, is make some of my own maps, and have the [SM] clan make some maps for this PK3 that fill in maps 17 through 29 - turning it into a megawad.

I also considered asking the permission of the folks in UD, if I could take some of the best maps from UDM1 and UDM2, retexture and detail them up, and include them as some extra maps. I won't do this unless I'm allowed though.
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igor
Forum Regular

Post by Igor » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:33 pm

DOES IT RUN IN ODAMEX?

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular

Post by StrikerMan780 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Sorry Igor, no. Zandronum only.
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igor
Forum Regular

Post by Igor » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:42 pm

WELL DOES IT RUN IN SKULLTAG?

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular

Post by StrikerMan780 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:47 pm

It should... I don't see why it wouldn't. Though, I might be using some features that didn't come until 98e, and thus Zandronum.

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular

Post by StrikerMan780 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:04 am

New release. Check the changelog to see what I did.

-Jes-
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by -Jes- » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:53 am

May I suggest adding a_queuecorpse to the severed upper body?

Heated fights get a bit messy faster than the fade can counter. :D
Last edited by -Jes- on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:43 pm

Any screenshots..?

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular

Post by StrikerMan780 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:52 pm

Soul wrote: Any screenshots..?
Most of what's in this is hard to show with screenshots... considering most of this is a gameplay modification. But, give me a few minutes and I can screenshot the new map I made for this.

EDIT: Done.
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:12 pm

StrikerMan780 wrote: [*]Perkristan's Smooth Weapons - Smooth Animations for the weapons, courtesy of Perkristan.
*Cough* *Hark* *Cough* [/ShamelessSelf-Advertising]

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular

Post by StrikerMan780 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:55 pm

New release. I'm on a roll.

EDIT: aaand another... due to a serious bug.
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:47 pm

I played a few games, it was nice but a few things bug me:
For some reason my SSG seems "sticky" meaning I'm clicking it but it's not firing. I don't know why but I tested regular doom2 (no PWADS) and it was working just fine... It's probably not the wad but might be good to check.

Anyway, the smooth SSG animation really bothers me because it throws off my shots. Me (and several other people) had the same complaint about Samsara when TerminusEST13 added the smooth animations to the Doomguy weapons, and it was suggested that a CVar be used for toggling the animations from smooth to unsmooth.

"You'll sometimes get a hit marker from other peoples' hits... though it is rare. This is due to a bug in players not targeting their attacker correctly." This happens so much that it makes your own hit-markers completely unreliable. It actually was rather annoying after a while I was just getting spammed with white hit-markers.

You can freeaim the BFG (which I noticed was nerfed because it uses more cells...)
Last edited by Llewellyn on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular

Post by StrikerMan780 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Llewellyn wrote: I played a few games, it was nice but a few things bug me:
For some reason my SSG seems "sticky" meaning I'm clicking it but it's not firing. I don't know why but I tested regular doom2 (no PWADS) and it was working just fine... It's probably not the wad but might be good to check.

Anyway, the smooth SSG animation really bothers me because it throws off my shots. Me (and several other people) had the same complaint about Samsara when TerminusEST13 added the smooth animations to the Doomguy weapons, and it was suggested that a CVar be used for toggling the animations from smooth to unsmooth.

"You'll sometimes get a hit marker from other peoples' hits... though it is rare. This is due to a bug in players not targeting their attacker correctly." This happens so much that it makes your own hit-markers completely unreliable. It actually was rather annoying after a while I was just getting spammed with white hit-markers.

You can freeaim the BFG (which I noticed was nerfed because it uses more cells...)
The BFG Freeaim is unintentional... but I cannot fix it because there's no function to make the custom projectiles obey the BFG Freeaim DMFlag.

As for the hit markers, I'm going to make a Zandronum bug report. It's an issue on Zandro's end in particular.

As for the SSG... I'll see what I can do. EDIT: Turns out the timings were slightly off... Fixed.
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_of_D:
Posts a lot

Post by Lord_of_D: » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:22 am

impressive with some of the features. great job sirs

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:51 am

StrikerMan780 wrote: The BFG Freeaim is unintentional... but I cannot fix it because there's no function to make the custom projectiles obey the BFG Freeaim DMFlag.
You can actually fix this. What you need to do is make it so that on fire it does an ACS_ExecuteWithResult jump that calls a script that checks for the freeaim bfg flag:

script 999 (void)
{
	SetResultValue(getCvar("sv_bfgFreeAim"));
}
Then use A_SpawnItemEx to spawn the BFGBall if freeaim is off because A_SpawnItemEx does not inherit the actor's pitch unless a flag is set (that isn't present in Zandronum I believe anyway.)
I would have brewed up an example but I don't have time to play around with A_SpawnItemEx to get it to mimic default behavior.
Last edited by Llewellyn on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular

Post by StrikerMan780 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:24 am

Llewellyn wrote:
StrikerMan780 wrote: The BFG Freeaim is unintentional... but I cannot fix it because there's no function to make the custom projectiles obey the BFG Freeaim DMFlag.
You can actually fix this. What you need to do is make it so that on fire it does an ACS_ExecuteWithResult jump that calls a script that checks for the freeaim bfg flag:

script 999 (void)
{
	SetResultValue(getCvar("sv_bfgFreeAim"));
}
Then use A_SpawnItemEx to spawn the BFGBall if freeaim is off because A_SpawnItemEx does not inherit the actor's pitch unless a flag is set (that isn't present in Zandronum I believe anyway.)
I would have brewed up an example but I don't have time to play around with A_SpawnItemEx to get it to mimic default behavior.
I'll check that out and work on that for next version.

There's a new release now, fixing the SSG Timing, and the hit marker issues. (With a bit of a tradeoff though... no hit markers for splash damage or BFG Spray. Also, markers show when shooting teammates.)
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:11 am

StrikerMan780 wrote: I'll check that out and work on that for next version.
Oh yea and I forgot to mention you'll need to check for targets in LOS to first to make sure the BFGball autoaims correctly.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:31 am

Rather small nitpick, but ... I noticed that none of the projectiles generate decals, while the hitscans do.

Spiffy bullet hole decals, by the way.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community