Why are bots on Zandronum so slow and dumb?

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
TDRR
Forum Regular

Why are bots on Zandronum so slow and dumb?

Post by TDRR » Fri May 24, 2019 6:58 am

I was wondering, why are Zandronum bots so slow, in terms of performance? 8 bots is already an extremely noticeable dip in framerate, and 16 bots is a slideshow. My PC sucks but seriously, i think that's just too big of a performance tank for the far from great improvement over the lightweight ZDaemon bots (A big improvement over ZDoom's though that's for sure)

My biggest gripe with them is the terrible navigation, and the constant amount of checks while doing so that probably are the things that kill performance so much. They circle far too much and move way too little, simply making them move them prefer to move in straight lines more often would greatly help. Also adding some sort of item-pickup cooldown, so they stop being so greedy and keep picking up the same bunch of items again and again getting them stuck.

Reducing the amount of checks so at least they are done less rapidly (Spread them over one or more seconds, no reason to check so much so quickly) would also greatly help with performance.

Has a waypoint system ever been considered? It would greatly help the Zandro bots if they were done manually. Sure, people may not do a crapton of them but it's useful for Skulltag maps and IWAD maps so they at least do decently well there.
"I will find joy in Yahweh. I will delight in my Elohim. He has dressed me in the clothes of salvation. He has wrapped me in the robe of righteousness like a bridegroom with a priest’s turban, like a bride with her jewels."
-Isaiah 61:10 (Names of God Bible)

Sean
IRC Operator

Re: Why are bots on Zandronum so slow and dumb?

Post by Sean » Fri May 24, 2019 7:47 am

Carncode can basically explain the shitty coding.
And also that there's basically no interesting in improving Zan bots - the only time I've seen them used in the past few years is to fill duel servers while waiting for actual humans to join.
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

TDRR
Forum Regular

Re: Why are bots on Zandronum so slow and dumb?

Post by TDRR » Sat May 25, 2019 7:06 pm

Sean wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:47 am
Carncode can basically explain the shitty coding.
And also that there's basically no interesting in improving Zan bots - the only time I've seen them used in the past few years is to fill duel servers while waiting for actual humans to join.
I play with them a lot, but again, it's because my internet sucks and anyways most servers are extremely overplayed Complex Doom and Brutal Doom. I like those mods, but i'm sick of playing them again and again.

I suppose i will have to take matters in my own hands, then.
"I will find joy in Yahweh. I will delight in my Elohim. He has dressed me in the clothes of salvation. He has wrapped me in the robe of righteousness like a bridegroom with a priest’s turban, like a bride with her jewels."
-Isaiah 61:10 (Names of God Bible)