Doomseeker Brutal Doom v20b Options for Multiplayer

General help and assistance forum.
Weed
New User

Doomseeker Brutal Doom v20b Options for Multiplayer

Post by Weed » Wed May 22, 2019 7:35 am

I wanted to post this here since I spent a better half of a day trying to figure out how to control the Brutal Doom v20b options inside a multiplayer game. Hopefully putting this up will help other in their google searching.

These instructions are for server administrators wanting to host a Brutal Doom v20b Hell on Earth server. The configurations you change here will be pushed down to your players clients, since they are unable to change them themselves. Brutal Doom v21 has significantly different options, but I suspect the procedures would be similar when using Doomseeker to create servers.

Resources Used
Doomseeker v1.2-181027-1930
Zandronum v3.0

WADs Used - In order
brutalv20b.pk3
hellonearthstarterpack.wad
HXRTCHUD_BRUTALDOOM20B_v7.0.pk7

Issue
When a Brutal Doom v20b Server is started all "Brutal Doom Options" are greyed out on the client side and cant be changed by the player.

Solution
To change the "Brutal Doom Options" for multiplayer games conduct the following steps.
  1. On the machine that is hosting the server, go to the following directory "...\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Zandronum\"
    • If the directory in question doesn't exist, you are trying to find the following file "zandronum-%USERNAME%.ini"
  2. Open the following file in a text editor. "zandronum-%USERNAME%.ini"
  3. Do a find for the following string "[Doom.NetServerInfo.Mod]"
  4. First we want to change the following variable from 1 to 0. This will enable the Brutal Doom Options and allow changes to be put into effect.
    • Enable Brutal Doom Options "isrunningzandronum=0" --- 0 = True (Yes), 1 = False (No)
  5. Now we can make changes to the following settings and have them take effect for the clients playing on your server
    • Blood Amount "zdoombrutalblood=2" --- 1 = Realistic, 2 = Brutal (Default), 3 = Edgy as Fuck, 4 = Japanese Cartoon, 666 = Overdrawn at the Bloodbank
    • Enable Janitor "zdoombrutaljanitor=0" --- 1 = True (Yes), 0 = False (No)
    • Enable Shotgun Strap Physics "zdoombd_shotgunstrap=0" --- 1 = True (Yes), 0 = False (No)
    • Vanilla Monsters "bd_classicmonsters=0" --- 1 = True (Yes), 0 = False (No)
    • Enable Bullet Penetration "bd_nobulletpenetration=1" --- 1 = True (Yes), 0 = False (No)
    • Disable Advanced Decorative Objects "bd_disabledecorations=0" --- 1 = True (Yes), 0 = False (No)
  6. After you have made the changes you desire, save the file, start your server and test on a client machine.
I hope this helps. My setup has gotten me as close as possible to single player Brutal Doom v20b - Hell on Earth. If anyone has any details on doing this is a much easier way, I encourage them to post there findings and Ill update the OP with easier directions.
Last edited by Weed on Sat May 25, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mousers are cheaters :biggrin:

Fused
Contributor

Re: Doomseeker Brutal Doom Options for Multiplayer

Post by Fused » Fri May 24, 2019 7:39 am

The options are disabled because such serverside options should not be toggled by players.
Although I'm pretty sure options like zdoombrutaljanitor are fully clientside, so those are always enabled as they change performance.
If not, I believe logging in to your remote control from your player enables these options, but I haven't tried this in a long time.
And if that doesn't work, you might aswell try v21 which was released a few days ago and see if the issue persists.
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

Weed
New User

Post by Weed » Sat May 25, 2019 7:02 pm

I thought it was pretty clear these instructions were for server administrators. Ill update the post to reflect that reality.
Last edited by Weed on Sat May 25, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weed
New User

Post by Weed » Sat May 25, 2019 7:12 pm

Fused wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:39 am
Although I'm pretty sure options like zdoombrutaljanitor are fully clientside, so those are always enabled as they change performance.
If not, I believe logging in to your remote control from your player enables these options, but I haven't tried this in a long time.
This is not true. All Brutal Doom options are disable for clients and have to be managed by the server owner. I personally leave Janitor turned off and I havent seen any significant degradation of performance.
Fused wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:39 am
And if that doesn't work, you might aswell try v21 which was released a few days ago and see if the issue persists.
Unfortunately, I've tried using v21 using the hellonearthstarterpack.wad and it gets really buggy, which has forced me back to using v20b.

I've updated my post for additional clarity.

Fused
Contributor

Post by Fused » Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 am

Weed wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:12 pm
This is not true. All Brutal Doom options are disable for clients and have to be managed by the server owner. I personally leave Janitor turned off and I havent seen any significant degradation of performance.
Then you should probably consult Sergeant Mark about fixing this, because clientside options are possible.
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image