Are "vanilla"-like survival servers still a thing?

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Stru

Are "vanilla"-like survival servers still a thing?

Post by Stru » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:48 pm

I know this may sound annoying to most folks here, but I truly miss the three-lives slaughter servers that Skulltag/Zandronum used to host. I remember servers with 8-10 people trying to run through Chillax and Slaughterfest 2012 for hours. I met a ton of great people and spent most of the time chit-chatting while watching Ancalagon burn through hordes after hordes of monsters with nothing but a rocket launcher. I also liked the strategy involved, making sure everyone was placed correctly upon hitting a switch, conserving health and ammo, and the teamwork required for beating the maps.

Not to be condescending, but all I see now is just Complex LCA servers that bombard you with earrape explosions and corpses/gore littering the entire map so much that you can't even figure out what is going on. I understand that a lot of people like that, but is that all the Zandronum community is into? I don't see any populated servers that aren't using RGA, Brutal Doom, Complex Doom, etc. I'm sure they exist but it's just odd that it completely died off. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

I may look into some server hosting and try to get my own going. I'm not very good with the tech-side of Doom but I'm sure I could figure it out in time.

Empyre
Zandrone

Re: Are "vanilla"-like survival servers still a thing?

Post by Empyre » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:13 pm

You could use http://allfearthesentinel.net/ to make a server without having to host it yourself.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Stru

Post by Stru » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:20 pm

Just registered! I'll give that a shot. Is it all command-line based? Or is there a UI to assist with loading WADs?

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:29 am

I host my servers myself, so I haven't used their service, but it looks like it is all done via the website.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

jwaffe
Forum Regular

Post by jwaffe » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:48 am

I host a bunch of vanilla-like survival servers on [IFOC] (I'm not a big fan of addon wads either).

Currently I've got Plutonia, TNT, TNT: Renascence, UAC Ultra, HR2, and Ultimate Doom. If there's some particular wad / version of a wad you want or some flags you want set, let me know. I can put something up.

Mehnrues
New User

Post by Mehnrues » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:32 pm

Yep, same, just tried complex yesterday, not my thing.